Son broke my TC-P60ST30 -- Now what? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Thumbs down Son broke my TC-P60ST30 -- Now what?

I had a tweaked Panny TC-P60ST30 plasma that I absolutely loved. The best blacks and colors out of any display I've ever had. Yes, my son, he killed the panel with a very strong fling of a yo-yo. My baby is now dead (Not my son).


Now, where to go? I don't care about 3d. I don't care about "Smart" features. I don't care about curved screens or toasters attached. I just want SOLID blacks and vivid colors. Since I have the chance to upgrade, I want to go 65"+ as well.

Options:

1 - Local seller, Panasonic TC-P65S60 - With plasmas dying a quick death, a little hesitant to buy and this doesn't use an Infinite Black panel.

2 - Vizio M Series - Local dimming = Best blacks for LED?

3 - Any Costco Sony or Samsung reasonable priced 65"

Once again, only care about deep blacks and vivid colors. 90% movie watching in a dark room.

TIA.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:37 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
64f5300 or 64h5000 don't go led
chunon is online now  
post #3 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
64f5300 or 64h5000 don't go led
Thanks for the advice. Any major differences between the F5300 and H5000? The 5300 is hard to find except refurb'd.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #4 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
Thanks for the advice. Any major differences between the F5300 and H5000? The 5300 is hard to find except refurb'd.
H5000 is pentile is an issue for some . Read the hdtvtest uk review pretty positive over all. I used to have st30 btw nice set.
chunon is online now  
post #5 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 06:42 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
H5000 is pentile is an issue for some . Read the hdtvtest uk review pretty positive over all. I used to have st30 btw nice set.
Which set do you have now? Have you compared the H5000 or F5300 to the ST30?

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #6 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 08:33 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
Options: 1 - Local seller, Panasonic TC-P65S60 - With plasmas dying a quick death, a little hesitant to buy and this doesn't use an Infinite Black panel.
The S60 actually has really good black levels compared to older models and they're stable too. Probably even better than on the older ST30. The S60 is crisp too. I'd jump on that before it's gone.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #7 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The S60 actually has really good black levels compared to older models and they're stable too. Probably even better than on the older ST30. The S60 is crisp too. I'd jump on that before it's gone.
Thanks for this bit of info. I had actually been looking at the wrong model and after more research tonight, I am debating between:

Panny S60 65"

vs

Samsung H5000 64"

The only issue is, I can get the H5000 from ABT, Amazon or other respectable dealers while the S60 is a guy reselling Costco stuff from a warehouse.

I LOVE the picture on the Samsung UN65HU7200 4K but the price is redonkulous, even at Costco.

EDIT: Third option Samsung PN64F5500A Refurb

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12

Last edited by dborgill; 08-20-2014 at 09:20 PM.
dborgill is offline  
post #8 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
I had a tweaked Panny TC-P60ST30 plasma that I absolutely loved. The best blacks and colors out of any display I've ever had. Yes, my son, he killed the panel with a very strong fling of a yo-yo.
well first, I would take away the yo-yo and have a talk with him about responsibility...
then, to make sure that lesson sinks in, help him find a job(depending on his age) and have him put half his paycheck into a little jar labelled "IOU 1 TV"




but as others have stated, your options are pretty limited these days. buying a plasma in 2014 is kind of like buying an apple product. the chances of getting one that fits both your needs and budget perfectly is slim to none... you either gotta pay a little more and end up with features you don't want(3D, smart, etc) or settle for something that may be missing one or two important features(no AR filter, pentile display...)


s60: solid choice, was a very popular model when available. biggest downside I think is slightly higher blacks than the st60(but possibly still on par/better than st30), and no AR filter on the screen
F5500: also a very good choice, was less popular because it seemed to be more expensive, and Panasonic is generally preferred over Samsung. from what I've read(haven't looked at this one personally) it should have good blacks and overall performance, and no pentile in the 64" size.
F5300: basically as above with less features. has become popular lately since it's the last Samsung that seems readily available(other than f8500 which is out of many ppl's price range) without a pentile display(in 51 and 64", 60" is pentile)
H5000: similar feature set to the f5300, but all are pentile displays. seems to have good picture quality like the 5300/5500 otherwise though.


I have those listed in the order I would choose them.

or if you really want to go nuts and get the best black levels, you can always try to pick up an oled

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-20-2014 at 09:51 PM.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #9 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
well first, I would take away the yo-yo and have a talk with him about responsibility...
then, to make sure that lesson sinks in, help him find a job(depending on his age) and have him put half his paycheck into a little jar labelled "IOU 1 TV"




but as others have stated, your options are pretty limited these days. buying a plasma in 2014 is kind of like buying an apple product. the chances of getting one that fits both your needs and budget perfectly is slim to none...


you can pick the f8500, it's the best, and probably the only one that has a chance of being an upgrade(although by the sounds of it, this is more than you want to spend)
the s60 should be a decent direct replacement for your st30. I don't expect it to be better, but it should at least be about as good
I can not recommend you ANY lcd for dark room viewing. they just don't have the uniformity or stable blacks you're used to with the st30
Samsung also has the f5300 and h5000 that could work. if you can find the f5300 in the 64" size that would be my choice as it doesn't have the pentile display that the 60" version does. unfortunately the H5000 is pentile in all sizes.


if you really want to go nuts and get the best black levels, you can always try to pick up an oled
12 year old boy. Total accident. He cried for quite a while. He'll help pay back

Thanks for all the helps and tips. Since image quality seems so subjective these days, I really have narrowed it down to those three models. I don't know if it's ok if I can talk price but here goes:

H5000 64" - Reputable online - $1300
S64 65" - Local pickup, says has 1 year warranty, new - $1300
F5500 64" Refurb eBay - $1100 Shipped

Can't afford F8500...

I really do appreciate all the help, advice and fair comparisons to the ST30. The fact I got it 2.5 years ago for $1199 is just unreal..

PS -- I am looking actually at a local S64 with the AR screen.. don't know if the AR affects image quality/blacks at all.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #10 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 10:45 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
the s64 was THE choice for gamers last year. I'm pretty sure most considered the AR screen a worthwhile upgrade.


I would still say s64 first choice. Panasonic has proven plasma quality, the local pick up is kind of nice in terms of knowing exactly what you're getting.
f5500 would be second, and that's based on it being both cheaper, and not having the pentile screen
H5000 is last, partly because of pentile screen, but also because I feel it's the most unproven of the three displays. you know you're getting from the s64 and f5500. for some reason the H5000 hasn't been ignored by a lot of ppl, and we don't really know if this was samsungs last effort at making plasma profitable, or just a way for them to sell off the leftover parts they had. I'm probably reading too much between the lines, but the fact it's also the most expensive makes me think the f5500 is the better value, and I do believe the s64 is a better tv

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #11 of 39 Old 08-20-2014, 10:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
the s64 was THE choice for gamers last year. I'm pretty sure most considered the AR screen a worthwhile upgrade.


I would still say s64 first choice. Panasonic has proven plasma quality, the local pick up is kind of nice in terms of knowing exactly what you're getting.
f5500 would be second, and that's based on it being both cheaper, and not having the pentile screen
H5000 is last, partly because of pentile screen, but also because I feel it's the most unproven of the three displays. you know you're getting from the s64 and f5500. for some reason the H5000 hasn't been ignored by a lot of ppl, and we don't really know if this was samsungs last effort at making plasma profitable, or just a way for them to sell off the leftover parts they had. I'm probably reading too much between the lines, but the fact it's also the most expensive makes me think the f5500 is the better value, and I do believe the s64 is a better tv
Thanks again!

Thinking about testing the strength of my marriage, biting the bullet and getting the PN64F8500..

The frustrating thing is if I had the 5500, S64 and 8500 all sitting next to each other, how big of difference would the black levels/colors really be? I'm 10' away and once again, care NOTHING for 3d, bells and whistles or anything. The price differences are so huge though, I just want to make the best decision before all three disappear for good..

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #12 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 12:48 AM
Member
 
Archon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
Thanks again!

Thinking about testing the strength of my marriage, biting the bullet and getting the PN64F8500..

The frustrating thing is if I had the 5500, S64 and 8500 all sitting next to each other, how big of difference would the black levels/colors really be? I'm 10' away and once again, care NOTHING for 3d, bells and whistles or anything. The price differences are so huge though, I just want to make the best decision before all three disappear for good..
The F8500 has under gone a severe downgrade in black level and brightness since it went on sale last year. Some say it's firmware, some say it's the panel. In either case, the S64 represents a great picture and value and not worth skipping for double the price and risk your marriage for the weakened F8500.



Happy Hunting!
Archon is offline  
post #13 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 05:25 AM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
The F8500 has under gone a severe downgrade in black level and brightness since it went on sale last year. Some say it's firmware, some say it's the panel. In either case, the S64 represents a great picture and value and not worth skipping for double the price and risk your marriage for the weakened F8500.



Happy Hunting!
Interesting. Is it a revision with cheaper components or just a poorly built TV that degrades over time?

Interesting.. 2013 vs 2014 Models?

http://www.niceelectronics.com/searc...l=F8500+SERIES

This is what I was originally looking at:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-.../pn64f8500.htm

Thanks for the advice!

Also, to summarize, there are NO LED/LCD sets that even come close to the S64 in black levels/contrast even the higher end Samsungs and Sony XBRs?

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12

Last edited by dborgill; 08-21-2014 at 05:51 AM.
dborgill is offline  
post #14 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 07:10 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Unless you really really need the extra features on the F8500 and are willing to pay a lot more for it, i would choose the $1,300 65" S64 which is a solid set and a great deal. I just don't think the price differential is worth it.

BTW the Anti-Reflective Louver Filter on the S64 series is the exact same as used on their higher ST60 and VT60 series, and Samsung literally copied the technology from Panasonic and put it on the F8500 and it's virtually identical to Panasonic's (i compared them side-by-side at Magnolia and Video Audio Center). I'm still kicking myself in the shins for not picking up an S64 for our den and for my mother-in-law when i kept seeing them on closeout at Costco.


.
dmtaub likes this.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 08-21-2014 at 07:18 AM.
RandyWalters is offline  
post #15 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 08:09 AM
Member
 
dmtaub's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 128
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
Interesting. Is it a revision with cheaper components or just a poorly built TV that degrades over time?

Interesting.. 2013 vs 2014 Models?

http://www.niceelectronics.com/searc...l=F8500+SERIES

This is what I was originally looking at:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-.../pn64f8500.htm

Thanks for the advice!

Also, to summarize, there are NO LED/LCD sets that even come close to the S64 in black levels/contrast even the higher end Samsungs and Sony XBRs?
Get the S64. It is a fantastic set. I, like Randy, am kicking myself for not picking one up. It is the S60 with the AR Filter, and the S60, which i own, it a terrific no frills set.
dmtaub is offline  
post #16 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 11:09 AM
Member
 
ejcrossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Phoenix, Az
Posts: 60
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
12 year old boy. Total accident. He cried for quite a while. He'll help pay back

Thanks for all the helps and tips. Since image quality seems so subjective these days, I really have narrowed it down to those three models. I don't know if it's ok if I can talk price but here goes:

H5000 64" - Reputable online - $1300
S64 65" - Local pickup, says has 1 year warranty, new - $1300
F5500 64" Refurb eBay - $1100 Shipped

Can't afford F8500...

I really do appreciate all the help, advice and fair comparisons to the ST30. The fact I got it 2.5 years ago for $1199 is just unreal..

PS -- I am looking actually at a local S64 with the AR screen.. don't know if the AR affects image quality/blacks at all.
Check out Frys.com tomorrow, could possibly have the H5000 on sale for $1099. Get Amazon price match. Check it as soon as you can tomorrow to see if they put the free shipping on it like they did the last time the sale happened. It went away a day later for store pickup only.
ejcrossl is offline  
post #17 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
Thanks again!

Thinking about testing the strength of my marriage, biting the bullet and getting the PN64F8500..

The frustrating thing is if I had the 5500, S64 and 8500 all sitting next to each other, how big of difference would the black levels/colors really be? I'm 10' away and once again, care NOTHING for 3d, bells and whistles or anything. The price differences are so huge though, I just want to make the best decision before all three disappear for good..
somewhat depends on your viewing conditions. the f8500 has the best screen filter of any tv I've owned. it actually makes the blacks appear darker when the lights in the room get brighter! so if you were watching with ambient lighting, I would say the difference would be very noticeable.


however, viewing in total darkness, the blacks levels of the s64 and f5500 would only be slightly worse than the f8500. probably not noticeable unless you did side by side comparisons.


last year when I bought the f8500, it's main competition was the st60, vt60 and zt60. I felt in most viewing conditions, the blacks, contrast, and shadow detail were basically a tie. I know for sure that the st60, vt60, and zt60 are capable of deeper blacks, but I was never able to view those TV's under the conditions necessary to make that noticeable(too bad, as it may have swayed my decision at the time). I chose the f8500 for some of the untangibles. it appeared clearer to me, like it had less noticeable pixel structure, which is weird, because I believe the panny's actually have less space between their pixels(at least vertically). it was also several hundred cheaper than the vt60, and almost a grand cheaper than the zt60, so that ended up being the deciding factor for me.


anyway, I would say you should still be ok with the s64, from what I remember it's only slightly lower quality than the st60, and the st60 was every bit as good as the f8500 in a dark room imo. the key to the f8500 is that is was equally good in all environments. some stores put them out with the led's on the bright showroom and they looked right at home. others had them in the dim plasma section, where they also grabbed your attention. now that I've owned one for awhile, I'm also incredibly impressed with it's resistance to IR(something I've heard some complaints about with the panny's). but I've also found out that it's stellar blacks are a bit of a trick, and where I was reading reviews that suggested the f8500 should have black levels as good as the vt60, it's really more like the s60 in real world viewing.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
The F8500 has under gone a severe downgrade in black level and brightness since it went on sale last year. Some say it's firmware, some say it's the panel. In either case, the S64 represents a great picture and value and not worth skipping for double the price and risk your marriage for the weakened F8500.



Happy Hunting!
this is nonsense. at the shootout d-nice mentioned a fw update that reduced floating blacks, at the expense of brightness and black levels, but that fw update happened a year ago. there is no reason to suddenly consider the f8500 'less' of a tv, because it's been in this 'post-fw' condition that it's received most of its praise. I would also point out that it was in this 'weakened' state that the f8500 managed to blow away the 'best' lcd's on the market and compete with the oleds(beat them in some categories).


besides that, I've owned the f8500 for about 16months, and I think it looks as good today as the day I bought it.


in fact, I remember being hesitant to do this fw upgrade after ppl started complaining about it. but when I did, I set up my camera and took before/after shots, using the same exposure/iso/etc.
i'll let you guess which is before and which is after(you may be able to tell by the clock if you can make it out)


Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-21-2014 at 02:39 PM.
fierce_gt is offline  
post #18 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 02:52 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
You guys rule! Thanks for all the help, advice and patience. Very cool indeed. I will report back when I receive my S64.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #19 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 02:58 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
You guys rule! Thanks for all the help, advice and patience. Very cool indeed. I will report back when I receive my S64.
enjoy! at the end of all of this, you might even be happy your son gave you a reason to upgrade

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #20 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 03:03 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
enjoy! at the end of all of this, you might even be happy your son gave you a reason to upgrade
Ha ha! I thought about that. Not the best time $$$ wise OR choosing a new plasma with stock dwindling but I am hoping it all works out. Going from 60" to 65" is a huge bonus and I am hoping the S64 is at least as good (or better) PQ wise as my good ol' ST30. I am probably going to get a Refurb F5500 just to compare with the S64 and sell the one I don't end up keeping. I am just too picky to not test both

If I would have been able to snag a ST60 when they were on closeout, I really would have been in heaven.
fierce_gt likes this.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #21 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 04:11 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
On last question, anyone have any experience adding a SquareTrade warranty to either a Samsung or Panny plasma? I am really considering a 3 year for $129...

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #22 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 04:39 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 17,504
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 490
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
On last question, anyone have any experience adding a SquareTrade warranty to either a Samsung or Panny plasma? I am really considering a 3 year for $129...
I bought the $99 Square Trade warranty from Costco, even though i bought my ST60 from Amazon. Dunno if they still have that deal or not.

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #23 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 06:58 PM
Member
 
Archon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 53
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
somewhat depends on your viewing conditions. the f8500 has the best screen filter of any tv I've owned. it actually makes the blacks appear darker when the lights in the room get brighter! so if you were watching with ambient lighting, I would say the difference would be very noticeable.


however, viewing in total darkness, the blacks levels of the s64 and f5500 would only be slightly worse than the f8500. probably not noticeable unless you did side by side comparisons.


last year when I bought the f8500, it's main competition was the st60, vt60 and zt60. I felt in most viewing conditions, the blacks, contrast, and shadow detail were basically a tie. I know for sure that the st60, vt60, and zt60 are capable of deeper blacks, but I was never able to view those TV's under the conditions necessary to make that noticeable(too bad, as it may have swayed my decision at the time). I chose the f8500 for some of the untangibles. it appeared clearer to me, like it had less noticeable pixel structure, which is weird, because I believe the panny's actually have less space between their pixels(at least vertically). it was also several hundred cheaper than the vt60, and almost a grand cheaper than the zt60, so that ended up being the deciding factor for me.


anyway, I would say you should still be ok with the s64, from what I remember it's only slightly lower quality than the st60, and the st60 was every bit as good as the f8500 in a dark room imo. the key to the f8500 is that is was equally good in all environments. some stores put them out with the led's on the bright showroom and they looked right at home. others had them in the dim plasma section, where they also grabbed your attention. now that I've owned one for awhile, I'm also incredibly impressed with it's resistance to IR(something I've heard some complaints about with the panny's). but I've also found out that it's stellar blacks are a bit of a trick, and where I was reading reviews that suggested the f8500 should have black levels as good as the vt60, it's really more like the s60 in real world viewing.





this is nonsense. at the shootout d-nice mentioned a fw update that reduced floating blacks, at the expense of brightness and black levels, but that fw update happened a year ago. there is no reason to suddenly consider the f8500 'less' of a tv, because it's been in this 'post-fw' condition that it's received most of its praise. I would also point out that it was in this 'weakened' state that the f8500 managed to blow away the 'best' lcd's on the market and compete with the oleds(beat them in some categories).


besides that, I've owned the f8500 for about 16months, and I think it looks as good today as the day I bought it.


in fact, I remember being hesitant to do this fw upgrade after ppl started complaining about it. but when I did, I set up my camera and took before/after shots, using the same exposure/iso/etc.
i'll let you guess which is before and which is after(you may be able to tell by the clock if you can make it out)

Woah, before you call nonsense...the F8500 you buy today is not the same when it first came out and reviewed. To me, going from calibrated 85fl to 50fl and black levels doubling is "weakened". You call it what you want to call it.

Paying twice the cost to go from a 65 s64 to a 64 F8500 is not worth it IMO to the OP.

Your pictures don't help either, all I see is the WB logo and 2 gray bars.

Please share your recent ISF calibration report, that will show us what your set is capable of.
Archon is offline  
post #24 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 07:07 PM
Member
 
nipalikewalnuts's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
12 year old boy. Total accident. He cried for quite a while. He'll help pay back
Late to quote your post but I had to:

No YoYo by the TVo!
nipalikewalnuts is offline  
post #25 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon View Post
Woah, before you call nonsense...the F8500 you buy today is not the same when it first came out and reviewed. To me, going from calibrated 85fl to 50fl and black levels doubling is "weakened". You call it what you want to call it.

Paying twice the cost to go from a 65 s64 to a 64 F8500 is not worth it IMO to the OP.

Your pictures don't help either, all I see is the WB logo and 2 gray bars.

Please share your recent ISF calibration report, that will show us what your set is capable of.
I question that that is actually happening though. I've seen no change due to fw on mine, which means if anything has happened it's probably subtle(like going from .0017 to .0025). to my knowledge, the only person of credibility to mention this is d-nice. and I don't recall him saying it was a big deal either.


so before we start spreading rumours that the f8500 has been crippled in some way, can we at least find proof? not comparing one reviewer to another reviewer, because even when they were released there was a pretty big difference in reported MLL and contrast depending on what review you read.


basically, what I'd like to see is a reputable reviewer who can not only show proof that the performance has changed, but can also identify the fw that made that change(or it it's hardware based then the build date).


up until now, I've seen nothing but speculation and rumour, that's been going on for about a year, that SUDDENLY became 'fact' because d-nice mentioned a fw update in passing...


as for my pic, obviously it's not 'proof' either way. but it was 'evidence' to me that my settings and picture quality didn't change. they looked the same, so my blacks levels didn't rise.


but more to the point, I'm not even sure why you're coming at me about this. I've been recommending the s64 all alone, and clearly said even in my last post that unless he's planning to use it in ambient light, the s64 should be just as good.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
fierce_gt is offline  
post #26 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 08:13 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I am definitely going to give the S64 a try first and I don't see much of any complaint about it anywhere and it seems to fit my "no frills/awesome PQ" needs just great.

That being said, the more I look at the F8500's available now, the more hesitant I get. $3000+? Give me a break. There are some available for $2000ish but I had one seller, tell me it's now a panel lottery. Another, says it bests all Panny Plasmas in PQ. Either way, I am not really wanting to gamble either way. If I could someone how easily have a S64 and F8500 sitting side by side, I could compare but I'm not going to spend $4000+ to find out

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #27 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 08:25 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
12 year old boy. Total accident. He cried for quite a while. He'll help pay back

Thanks for all the helps and tips. Since image quality seems so subjective these days, I really have narrowed it down to those three models. I don't know if it's ok if I can talk price but here goes:

H5000 64" - Reputable online - $1300
S64 65" - Local pickup, says has 1 year warranty, new - $1300
F5500 64" Refurb eBay - $1100 Shipped

Can't afford F8500...

I really do appreciate all the help, advice and fair comparisons to the ST30. The fact I got it 2.5 years ago for $1199 is just unreal..

PS -- I am looking actually at a local S64 with the AR screen.. don't know if the AR affects image quality/blacks at all.
are you in the upper midwest?

northern Indiana...Michigan..or Northern Ohio

if so...there is a retailer in the area that has 65" ZT60( display models) available in about every store....20 or so

People are buying them for between $1700-2000
I have the F8500 and prefer it to the ZT60....however the 2nd choice would be a ZT60

I saw one of this displays last week and they offered me a $2000 price...it was in great shape

otherwise Fry's has the Samsung 64"H5000 for $1097.....well worth that price

Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #28 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 08:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
turnne1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 3,791
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 581 Post(s)
Liked: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I am definitely going to give the S64 a try first and I don't see much of any complaint about it anywhere and it seems to fit my "no frills/awesome PQ" needs just great.

That being said, the more I look at the F8500's available now, the more hesitant I get. $3000+? Give me a break. There are some available for $2000ish but I had one seller, tell me it's now a panel lottery. Another, says it bests all Panny Plasmas in PQ. Either way, I am not really wanting to gamble either way. If I could someone how easily have a S64 and F8500 sitting side by side, I could compare but I'm not going to spend $4000+ to find out
I have both the Samsung F8500 and the Panasonic ST60 in my home

The Samsung is definitely a better set...as it should be for the price difference
I got deals on both of them...but the F8500 was still significantly more per inch than the ST60

The ST60...for the price....was the best value in 2013 for its performance


Warren

Rm 1 Samsung 64F8500 Onkyo 5508 prepro Sherbourn 5/1500A amp Atlantic technology System 350 THX Ultra speakers
Rm 2 LG 47LE8500 Pioneer Denon 4520 Celestion 305 speaker system
Rm 3 Samsung 51E8000 Yamaha A2010 Kef 2005.2 speaker system
Rm 4 Panasonic 50ST50 Onkyo 5009/906 Mirage Omni sat speaker system
turnne1 is offline  
post #29 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 08:41 PM - Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
dborgill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Utah, USA
Posts: 269
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I am in Utah... haven't seen any Panny displays anywhere besides this local warehouse seller with the S64 65" I am picking up tomorrow. ($1300) Also, I am looking at the S64, not ST60. The ST60 has a different panel but the S64 has the AR coating.

On F8500 vs S64/VT64, once again, I don't care about 3d, inputs, smart features, etc. Only black levels and colors. So yeah, I almost ordered this today:

http://www.eastcoasttvs.com/Samsung-.../pn64f8500.htm


But I just don't want to get stuck with the set if I like the S64 better... especially at a $1000 premium to the S64.

TV: Panasonic Plasma 65" TC-P65S64
Receiver: Pioneer SC-1222-K
Blu-Ray: Sony BDP-S590
Speakers: MK Sound M-7 / M4-T
Sub: MK Sound SB-12
dborgill is offline  
post #30 of 39 Old 08-21-2014, 11:18 PM
AVS Special Member
 
fierce_gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 4,238
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 731 Post(s)
Liked: 886
Quote:
Originally Posted by dborgill View Post
I appreciate everyone's help and advice. I am definitely going to give the S64 a try first and I don't see much of any complaint about it anywhere and it seems to fit my "no frills/awesome PQ" needs just great.

That being said, the more I look at the F8500's available now, the more hesitant I get. $3000+? Give me a break. There are some available for $2000ish but I had one seller, tell me it's now a panel lottery. Another, says it bests all Panny Plasmas in PQ. Either way, I am not really wanting to gamble either way. If I could someone how easily have a S64 and F8500 sitting side by side, I could compare but I'm not going to spend $4000+ to find out
all around, I think it's worth the price. the zt60 was likely a better all around tv last year, but it was about a $1000 more than the f8500, and I actually kind of preferred the f8500 with a lot of content.


but Panasonic did a really good job of providing superb dark room picture quality at all levels last year. the st60, probably the best tv dollar for dollar that's ever been made. so the s60/64, still presents an amazing value.


for you intended purposes, I would definitely give the s64 first crack. if you like it, don't even bother looking at the f8500.


take this with a grain of salt, but I thought it was a neat comparison tool(if the models are there). fortunately it has the S60, ST60, F5500, and F8500. so you can compare them all in different viewing conditions. unfortunately no s64, but you can kind of average it out between the s60 and st60 I guess. https://www.rtings.com/reviews/tv/pl.../f5500/compare

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-21-2014 at 11:24 PM.
fierce_gt is offline  
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off