1Likes
  • 1 Post By ADU

post #1 of 9 Old 08-20-2014, 11:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Current Plasmas (Samsung, LG) VS Panny S60

So I'm looking for a new TV for the bedroom. Last year I jumped on the Sears deal on a 42' S60 and I absolutely LOVE this set. Not a videophile so the color accuracy and black levels are excellent to my eyes and room is light controlled so the reflections were a non issue for me... Now I've moved and I need a bigger TV (kicking myself that I didn't purchase a 55' or 60' S60 but I thought the 42' would suffice) and I've been looking at the Samsung PN51F5300, PN60F5300, LG60PB6650. The F8500 is out of the question and I've done my research on the 60' pentile vs 51' non pentile and the inferior black levels on the LG...

Soo, which set would you guys recommend to be the most comparable to the s60? I'm leaning towards the 60F5300 but I'm afraid the Pentile will annnoy me and the 51' might not be much of an upgrade compared to the 42' but I'm willing to get the 51' if the PQ is comparable to the S60. Viewing distance is about 9-10 feet

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 08-21-2014, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOWPRO24Z View Post
So I'm looking for a new TV for the bedroom. Last year I jumped on the Sears deal on a 42' S60 and I absolutely LOVE this set. Not a videophile so the color accuracy and black levels are excellent to my eyes and room is light controlled so the reflections were a non issue for me... Now I've moved and I need a bigger TV (kicking myself that I didn't purchase a 55' or 60' S60 but I thought the 42' would suffice) and I've been looking at the Samsung PN51F5300, PN60F5300, LG60PB6650. The F8500 is out of the question and I've done my research on the 60' pentile vs 51' non pentile and the inferior black levels on the LG...

Soo, which set would you guys recommend to be the most comparable to the s60? I'm leaning towards the 60F5300 but I'm afraid the Pentile will annnoy me and the 51' might not be much of an upgrade compared to the 42' but I'm willing to get the 51' if the PQ is comparable to the S60. Viewing distance is about 9-10 feet

Thanks in advance.
Nothing you listed is really going to compare. The closest, if you are talking solely black level, is going to be the F5300 or the H5000. The H is a bit out of your price range based on what you are talking about. I wouldn't dismiss the PB6650 or its 3d variant, the PB6900. Both are excellent sets and even with worse black levels than the F5300, it is still and outstanding tv with excellent pq and an abundance of features (wifi, 3 hdmi, arc, smart, isf calibration). Your best bet is to try and view all three at the same time. I believe Fry's carries at least the H and PB. Best Buy might carry all 3. Paul's TV is another option or HH Gregg. Let your eyes decide, not specs.
post #3 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 02:10 PM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 62
The 51F5300 is a fantastic set with very good PQ and very few weaknesses. I'd say its the Samsung equivalent to the S60 series. From what Ive read and my personal experience with both brands, the Samsung is much more resistant to IR and burn in than the Panasonic.

The 60F5300 could be great, but its no S60 as the pentile screen and pink whites hold it down.

The only thing I know about the LGs are that the contrast ratios are supposedly very low for a plasma, but the design of the sets themselves is very nice. Better act soon or they will be your ONLY choice!
post #4 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 817
you've pretty much stated everything I could tell you already.

the f5300/f5500 will be the most similar for the money, but you have the pentile 60" to worry about. can you fit a 64"? remember how bummed you are right now that you only bought a 42" s60, you don't want to be bummed like this again in a year or two when the only option for 64" tv is edgelit LCD, or $4000 oled

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 06:35 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
The 51F5300 is a fantastic set with very good PQ and very few weaknesses. I'd say its the Samsung equivalent to the S60 series. From what Ive read and my personal experience with both brands, the Samsung is much more resistant to IR and burn in than the Panasonic.
Agree about the IR, but not about burn-in. IR isn't really an issue on the Sammy plasmas, but they are highly susceptible to phosphor burn-in when new. (The difference between IR, aka "transient image persistence", and burn-in is explained here.) The Panasonics and LGs are probably also very susceptible to burn-in when new. I have less experience with LGs, but have seen plenty of Panasonic floor samples with burnt-in images.

I'm sure the LGs are nice displays, but the few I've seen in person had noticeable haloing (probably due to the double-paned glass), which was a deal-breaker for me.

Both the F5300 and F4500 can look very "S60-like", when properly configured. In some ways, I actually like the picture on the Sammies better than the S60. The S60 does have slightly darker blacks though... enough to be noticeable in a dark or dimly lit room. You can compensate for that by using a little more illumination around the Samsung display.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-23-2014 at 05:25 PM.
post #6 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 09:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 331
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Both the F5300 and F4500 can look very "S60-like", when properly configured. In some ways, I actually like the picture on the Sammies better than the S60. The S60 does have slightly darker blacks though... enough to be noticeable in a dark or dimly lit room. You can compensate for that by using a little more illumination around the display.
The main difference between the two is that the S60 has better contrast and a bit more pop. Color accuracy is also the S60's strength. That being said, both these sets are very close in over all PQ and except for the 60'' pentile display, if you like the S60, you'll probably like the 5300 too.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #7 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 10:35 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked: 154
Not really disagreein with you Ian, but I would say the main differences are black depth, motion quality, and build-quality. The out-of-box color might be a little better on the Panny. But both displays can be configured for highly accurate color. And most find the CMS/white balance controls a breeze to use on the Sammies. The basic picture controls interact more on the Samsung though. And I can see some folks struggling a bit with that difference.

I tend to fiddle quite a bit with the settings on my TVs, esp. the white levels (Cell Light on the Samsung displays) for different content/room lighting. So I made some charts to help me remember the correct Brightness/black level settings for different Cell Light and Gamma settings. Here's an example...

Gamma -3Gamma -2Gamma -1
Cell Light:Brightness:Brightness:Brightness:
2-3545250
4-6525049
7-17504847
18-20484746

This was for Movie mode, with Contrast set to 95 on the 43F4500, using a 1080p Y'CbCr 4:4:4 video input with standard Rec. 709 16-235 studio swing levels from a BD player on HDMI input #1. The above Brightness settings keep reference black (Y'=16) at MLL below the dithering threshold, without clipping any noticeable shadow detail.

I also keep a set of patterns handy on a USB stick so I can easily check display settings without swapping discs on my BD player.
StinDaWg likes this.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 08-23-2014 at 05:31 PM.
post #8 of 9 Old 08-22-2014, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post

The 60F5300 could be great, but its no S60 as the pentile screen and pink whites hold it down.

The only thing I know about the LGs are that the contrast ratios are supposedly very low for a plasma, but the design of the sets themselves is very nice. Better act soon or they will be your ONLY choice!
The hardest part of making a decision has been the fact that the 60' is Pentile. I want the 60' for the fact that I don't want to regret it later, I have the space for a 60' so why not? I have a couple Costco's near me and they have plenty of F5350's sitting around but I'm probably going to make a decision within the next couple weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
you've pretty much stated everything I could tell you already.

the f5300/f5500 will be the most similar for the money, but you have the pentile 60" to worry about. can you fit a 64"? remember how bummed you are right now that you only bought a 42" s60, you don't want to be bummed like this again in a year or two when the only option for 64" tv is edgelit LCD, or $4000 oled
I wish I could fit a 64' but no it's going to be too big unfortunately. That's exactly why I want the 60' instead of the 51' b/c I know I'll regret it later and in a perfect world I'd get another S60 in a 55' or 60' but obviously that's not happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
The main difference between the two is that the S60 has better contrast and a bit more pop. Color accuracy is also the S60's strength. That being said, both these sets are very close in over all PQ and except for the 60'' pentile display, if you like the S60, you'll probably like the 5300 too.

Ian
Yep I couldn't agree more...Just have to decide b/w pentile or not. Luckily this set is for the bedroom so it wouldn't be a big deal if I got the 51'

Last edited by LOWPRO24Z; 08-22-2014 at 10:53 PM.
post #9 of 9 Old 08-23-2014, 03:16 AM

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 62
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADU View Post
Agree about the IR, but not about burn-in. IR isn't really an issue on the Sammy plasmas, but they are highly susceptible to phosphor burn-in when new. (The difference between IR, aka "transient image persistence", and burn-in is explained here.) The Panasonics and LGs are probably also susceptible to burn-in when new. I have less experience with LGs, but have seen plenty of Panasonic floor samples with burnt-in images.

I'm sure the LGs are nice displays, but the few I've seen in person had noticeable haloing (probably due to the double-paned glass), which was a deal-breaker for me.

Both the F5300 and F4500 can look very "S60-like", when properly configured. In some ways, I actually like the picture on the Sammies better than the S60. The S60 does have slightly darker blacks though... enough to be noticeable in a dark or dimly lit room. You can compensate for that by using a little more illumination around the display.
Yeah, Im aware of the difference. The IR difference Ive seen personally-- the burn in I read about in an article on the net. Forget the source, but it was a side by side review of some Panny and Sammy plasmas where an image was accidentally left on for over 8 hours. The Panasonic basically burned in and the Sammys were just IR that they were able to clear with minimal effort.

My 2013 TC-P50X60 Panny also had some light burn in that was only visible on a black screen, I could not get it to go away. Sure any plasma can and will get burn in if abused-- but from all Ive read the Samsungs are about as resistant as it gets. Maybe that depends strongly on your cell light and brightness settings though, who knows?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page