Problem with Panasonic plasma/disappointed with Panasonic customer service - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By nipalikewalnuts

post #1 of 9 Old Today, 05:23 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Angry Problem with Panasonic plasma/disappointed with Panasonic customer service

My father has a 4 year old 50" Panasonic plasma that just crapped out. Has anybody seen this issue, the tv does not come on and the remote is non responsive, and the little red light flashes 7-8 times, then stops for a second, then flashes 7-8 times again and on and on. Checked the owners manual, no mention of this problem. Unplugged and waited a few minutes, plugged back in and still nothing. No lightning storms in the area, moved to another outlet, still nothing. I then phoned the customer service number for Panasonic Canada, and instead of offering troubleshooting help, they asked for $7.50 in order to troubleshoot! I could not believe it! I have been a loyal Panasonic customer for many years, i have bought 2 plasma tv's myself (50" pz750 and a new 65st60) my brother, brother in law, and many friends own plasma's (i am the local audio/video expert for friends and family). I and my family owned several blu ray players, heck I even have a Panasonic shaver! I am so disappointed in Panasonic, both with the tv not working after only 4 years and the nerve of them asking for money to troubleshoot cor their crappy product! I am definately not going to buy/recommend Panasonic to anybody, anymore! Oh forgot, model is TC-P50U2

Last edited by erick granato; Today at 05:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Today, 08:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
My father has a 4 year old 50" Panasonic plasma that just crapped out. Has anybody seen this issue, the tv does not come on and the remote is non responsive, and the little red light flashes 7-8 times, then stops for a second, then flashes 7-8 times again and on and on. Checked the owners manual, no mention of this problem. Unplugged and waited a few minutes, plugged back in and still nothing. No lightning storms in the area, moved to another outlet, still nothing. I then phoned the customer service number for Panasonic Canada, and instead of offering troubleshooting help, they asked for $7.50 in order to troubleshoot! I could not believe it! I have been a loyal Panasonic customer for many years, i have bought 2 plasma tv's myself (50" pz750 and a new 65st60) my brother, brother in law, and many friends own plasma's (i am the local audio/video expert for friends and family). I and my family owned several blu ray players, heck I even have a Panasonic shaver! I am so disappointed in Panasonic, both with the tv not working after only 4 years and the nerve of them asking for money to troubleshoot cor their crappy product! I am definately not going to buy/recommend Panasonic to anybody, anymore! Oh forgot, model is TC-P50U2
Panasonic isn't known for their customer service. They do not have very good customer service. Do you have a warranty through them or are you just calling for help?

Last edited by jp0213x; Today at 08:20 AM.
post #3 of 9 Old Today, 01:19 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp0213x View Post
Panasonic isn't known for their customer service. They do not have very good customer service. Do you have a warranty through them or are you just calling for help?
warranty was the original 1 year factory warranty, the unit is 4 years old now. Just wanted advice as the tv was one of the less expensive "big box" models and was just wondering if it would be worth fixing or get a new one. They gave me a number for their nearest service techs and I tried phoning 5 times today, rang and rang, no answering machine or voicemail, called back to Panasonic and they gave me another company number, thankfully, they answered and said it was one of the boards inside. $150 for the part, $150 roughly for the labour. Bottom line, I have always bought Panasonics as I have rarely had any issues with their products, I am willing to pay a little more for them as I viewed them as "premium" products, but after this horrible service, I am not willing to give them any more business.
post #4 of 9 Old Today, 02:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
What "advice" is necessary? It is broke. Either fix it or don't. I have no idea what you expected Panasonic to tell you.

Tony
post #5 of 9 Old Today, 02:41 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
post #6 of 9 Old Today, 07:04 PM

Liked: 10
Thumbs up In a word,

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipalikewalnuts View Post
Brilliant
post #7 of 9 Old Today, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adone36 View Post
What "advice" is necessary? It is broke. Either fix it or don't. I have no idea what you expected Panasonic to tell you.
What I expected was them to tell me what the problem is and what the probable cost would be in order to make that decision whether to fix or replace. The point is that they would have given me that information had I paid the $7.95. I had to waste my time with an unreliable service company phoning and phoning to get a simple answer about their lousy products.
post #8 of 9 Old Today, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 208
What's really disappointing with electronics today is that if you can get 5 years out of any item, you consider yourself lucky.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #9 of 9 Old Today, 09:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by erick granato View Post
What I expected was them to tell me what the problem is and what the probable cost would be in order to make that decision whether to fix or replace. The point is that they would have given me that information had I paid the $7.95. I had to waste my time with an unreliable service company phoning and phoning to get a simple answer about their lousy products.
Do not expect any manufacturer to do a free troubleshooting service on a set that is well out of warranty. If they did, they would be inundated with problem calls and no one would ever get through. You probably would have been are better off finding a local authorized service facility. If they are reputable and you tell them you are getting a power light 7 blink error code, they should be able to provide you with a rough repair estimate.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; Today at 09:52 PM. Reason: Typo
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page