1Likes
  • 1 Post By wxman

post #1 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung PN60F8500 Open Box Deal

Hi new here. I started looking for new tv and was originally looking at a Samsung LED 60"UNH60H7150. The more I started digging into it and looking I am leaning twoards a Plasma tv. I was not impressed with the pic quality of the LCD. It was playing a Brewers game and there was a lot of motion blurr, blockyness. I ended up at a local HHgregg where they have two Samsung Plasma PN60F8500 that are on display open box or returns Price is listed at $1503.99. The salesman said that they get alot of tv's returned to other HHgregg locations brought to their store. I asked him if he knew the reason for the returns on the Samsung he did not have the info.
I know the price is really cheap compared to a new one, but is it worth buying this set for this price and if so what should I be asking for? The set is up higher and I was going to have them bring it down to eye level and plug into satellite or antenna. One is always running with satellite and the one I was interested in is not on all the time so less hours and wear and tear.
I just worry that it might be a dud tv. Is the buzzing the main reason people bring these tv's back. I wish they had info on what the reason for the return was.
any thoughts please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 04:27 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 21
I can tell you the settings were not right on h7150. That tv should show no artifacting or blur when AMP is set right. If the f8500 has no scratches or serious IR, it should be a great buy. I have the 60 and I love it.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjrunner View Post
Hi new here. I started looking for new tv and was originally looking at a Samsung LED 60"UNH60H7150. The more I started digging into it and looking I am leaning twoards a Plasma tv. I was not impressed with the pic quality of the LCD. It was playing a Brewers game and there was a lot of motion blurr, blockyness. I ended up at a local HHgregg where they have two Samsung Plasma PN60F8500 that are on display open box or returns Price is listed at $1503.99. The salesman said that they get alot of tv's returned to other HHgregg locations brought to their store. I asked him if he knew the reason for the returns on the Samsung he did not have the info.
I know the price is really cheap compared to a new one, but is it worth buying this set for this price and if so what should I be asking for? The set is up higher and I was going to have them bring it down to eye level and plug into satellite or antenna. One is always running with satellite and the one I was interested in is not on all the time so less hours and wear and tear.
I just worry that it might be a dud tv. Is the buzzing the main reason people bring these tv's back. I wish they had info on what the reason for the return was.
any thoughts please.
Don't base it on a baseball game. I have the MLB package through DirecTV and watch the Brewers a lot. Needless to say, it is a compressed 720p signal, which is not the best. The teams that broadcast at 1080i look a lot better, yet even those are compressed. The bigger the screen, the more obvious the flaws. I have a 64 inch F8500, and set the DirecTV box to native, and all the 720p sports are average at best. I sometimes flip between OTA FOX NFL/MLB games at 720p and back to satellite for the same game. The difference in quality between OTA and satellite or cable is significant.
Josh128 likes this.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #4 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 05:41 PM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 52
^^

He is correct. OTA HD is usually much less compressed than DirecTV/Dish Network stuff. OTA HD is pretty much second only to Blu -ray when it comes to picture quality....
post #5 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 06:14 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I agree with the others that as long as there is no burn-in or any other thing wrong, grab it!

The buzz thing is funny to me. I have owned a couple of different Samsung plasmas over the years and never heard a single buzz out of any of them. I don't think I'm the luckiest guy in the U.S. I think people just over-react? One person gets some buzz and all of a sudden every TV made by them sucks.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do they happen to have any 51" versions? If you could please check, while your there, and let me know the price. I would appreciate it.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 734
while I agree, you were probably seeing more issues with the source that tv when viewing the 7150, that doesn't change the fact the f8500 is the best Samsung tv(in terms of pure picture quality) on the market today.

what I would do, is ensure there's not IR, or physical damage that would bother you on the f8500's. you can check the hours if you want as well. while you're checking for IR, see if there's any dead/stuck pixels at the same time. a quick run through of solid red, green, blue, white slides should do the trick. if all that checks out, but the f8500 and don't look back. I'd still choose it over you options at 3grand. the only competition is oled, and it's still much more expensive per inch.

as for why the TV's were returned, it's a plasma so it could be the dumbest reason you could imagine... seriously though, there's almost no point in even guessing. it could be buzz, it could be IR that they think will be permanent, it could be their cousin who works in IT told them 4k is the new thing and plasma is a dead technology. I've only returned 3 tv in my whole life, and none of them were defective, they were just edgelit led's that had tons of clouding/flashlighting and it took me three tries to realize that was part of their design, not a 'broken' tv... so like I said, ppl return TV's for some dumb reasons, it's hardly worth worrying about what they think they saw. just have a look for yourself, for 1500bux they should at least plug the thing in and let you play some content off a usb for 20mins

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-24-2014 at 07:23 PM.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 07:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
Do they happen to have any 51" versions? If you could please check, while your there, and let me know the price. I would appreciate it.
They did not have any other size other than 60"
post #9 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dianabol5mg View Post
I can tell you the settings were not right on h7150. That tv should show no artifacting or blur when AMP is set right. If the f8500 has no scratches or serious IR, it should be a great buy. I have the 60 and I love it.
When you guys say IR what do you mean?
post #10 of 11 Old 08-24-2014, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 222
Quote:
Ghost images of network logos are good examples.

RIP Robin Williams. Thanks for the laughter.
post #11 of 11 Old 08-25-2014, 01:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 409 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Quote:
image retention

if the units were ever display models, there is a decent chance they will have persistent IR, which may only dim slightly over time.

but if they are low hour units that an owner brought home, and found IR after just a few hours of use, they may have panicked and returned it. you can use this to your advantage if you want to negotiate, or you can ask them to run the scrolling pattern for a few hours to see if it decreases(it should).

the easiest way to check is to load up some solid color slides. they should look totally uniform from corner to corner, if there's any ir it will show up as a 'ghosted' image. if it's ir from playing a lot of letterbox movies, then you will notice the top and bottom sections appear slightly different color(likely darker).

it's still important to remainder ir is temporary and can be fixed. if it's there, that doesn't mean you have to walk away, it means that may be the reason it was returned, and now you need to figure out if it's something that will go away soon or not. my advice would be to ask the store to run the scrolling pattern for half a day or so, and then come back and check it. if it's gone or nearly gone, you're good to go, buy away. if it appears unchanged, then you may want to avoid that set, as it may take a long time to get rid of.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page