Video source via HDMI...can it control 60PN5000 LG Plasma functions? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 03:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Video source via HDMI...can it control 60PN5000 LG Plasma functions?

I recently purchased an 60PN5000 LG Plasma, which is connected as a monitor to my HK AVR254. The HDMI video devices I use on that AVR are a ROKU3 and Sony Blu Ray player with all the usual internet widgets. We do a lot of movie watching, and I've only seen this a couple of times. Certain movies cause the TV to power toggle (to off), and this is the first time I've really got a chance to investigate.

So, we were watching previews for Amazing Spiderman 2 and Muppets Most Wanted. Spiderman did fine, but when I went to play the muppets via youtube on the ROKU, there is a specific scene where Kermit's look-alike hops over a wall and there are two flashes of lightning and BOOM, TV shuts down. This is repeatable EVERY time! Just for grins, I played the same preview from a 3rd party youtube app and the exact same thing happened.

I switched to my BluRay player and brought up youtube on there...you guessed it, exactly the same occurrence at the exact same spot in the preview. I loaded the Amazon Video app and played the preview from there...yup, same thing.

I switched back to the Roku and brought up Amazon video on there and it happened again, as expected.

I'm thinking two possibilities. One, there is some sort of control bit coming through the HDMI from the video source, or, Two, somehow the fast lightning flashes are causing the TV to shut down.

The video in question is called "Muppets Most Wanted Official Trailer", if anyone else with an LG TV wants to give it a try.

I'm lost on this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveliter8 View Post
I recently purchased an 60PN5000 LG Plasma, which is connected as a monitor to my HK AVR254. The HDMI video devices I use on that AVR are a ROKU3 and Sony Blu Ray player with all the usual internet widgets. We do a lot of movie watching, and I've only seen this a couple of times. Certain movies cause the TV to power toggle (to off), and this is the first time I've really got a chance to investigate.

So, we were watching previews for Amazing Spiderman 2 and Muppets Most Wanted. Spiderman did fine, but when I went to play the muppets via youtube on the ROKU, there is a specific scene where Kermit's look-alike hops over a wall and there are two flashes of lightning and BOOM, TV shuts down. This is repeatable EVERY time! Just for grins, I played the same preview from a 3rd party youtube app and the exact same thing happened.

I switched to my BluRay player and brought up youtube on there...you guessed it, exactly the same occurrence at the exact same spot in the preview. I loaded the Amazon Video app and played the preview from there...yup, same thing.

I switched back to the Roku and brought up Amazon video on there and it happened again, as expected.

I'm thinking two possibilities. One, there is some sort of control bit coming through the HDMI from the video source, or, Two, somehow the fast lightning flashes are causing the TV to shut down.

The video in question is called "Muppets Most Wanted Official Trailer", if anyone else with an LG TV wants to give it a try.

I'm lost on this one.
If you have CEC enabled on the TV try turning that off. My best guess is it will still happen. Most likely the flash is sending the exact code to the TV that causes it to turn off. Interesting.
post #3 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 267
Thread moved to plasma section.

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #4 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveliter8 View Post

I'm lost on this one.
There are firmware updates dated in July on the LG site for models in that series, such as 60pn5300. For some reason, that exact model number can't be found on the site. It's possible that your problem is a known issue, correctable with an update.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/software-manuals#
post #5 of 5 Old 08-27-2014, 05:47 PM - Thread Starter

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Channel99 View Post
There are firmware updates dated in July on the LG site for models in that series, such as 60pn5300. For some reason, that exact model number can't be found on the site. It's possible that your problem is a known issue, correctable with an update.

http://www.lg.com/us/support/software-manuals#
Simplink is turned off. I also tried to direct connect my video devices...same thing! Been waiting for chat help with LG for about 30 minutes now (says I'm next with 1 min, 29 seconds to go - for the past 30 min.) to see why there is no support info on their site and to see if they've heard of this before.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page