Need To Replace Pioneer Elite That Died - Wondering What My Best Option Is - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Chris5028
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters

post #1 of 13 Old 08-29-2014, 10:53 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Need To Replace Pioneer Elite That Died - Wondering What My Best Option Is

My excellent Pioneer Elite, the model available just prior to the Kuro, just died, and I need to replace it. I loved the picture quality of my Elite, especially after having it calibrated. Picture quality is very important to me. The unit will only be used in a dark, or close to dark room with no room lighting, windows or reflections.

In the end, I am looking for a 60 inch model with a top notch 2D (don't care about 3D). I am still a bit on the fence as to whether to buy a superior plasma from the few models still available, or whether I need to consider a 4K model to avoid obsolescence. I do plan to own this television for an extended number of years, especially as my area is being eliminated by the corporation and I am being forced into an unplanned early retirement. I am hoping to hold the budget to $2k, but could push to $2,300.00 max. My early considerations are a Samsung PN60F800 as a non-4k option. The Panasonic VT's seem to have either disappeared, or are being priced like rare wine. I would appreciate your thoughts, expertise and advice on my best possible option. Thanks,in advance for any help with this.

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 07:55 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Unless you're willing to spend BIG bucks for an OLED, you're only real option is to purchase a Samsung (I recommend) 64F8500.

I own one and a PRO-150FD. While I give the overall performance nod to my (7) year-old Pioneer PDP, the F8500 is no slouch either.

I have been watching the Samsung PDP as my primary display since Feb/March 2014 and I am very satisfied with this PDP.

Even the AVS guru's who run this site claim:

"The F8500 plasma trounced both OLEDs in color accuracy and motion resolution"

LG UHD/4K OLED TVs to Hit the Market This Year
post #3 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 08:28 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree that the Samsung f8500 is your best option now that the V series Panasonics are extinct. I own a 60" and 50" top of the line Samsungs LEDs along with two Panasonic 65VT30's and the Panasonic picture quality is much better. I had to go LED because of thickness and room brightness constraints but it is annoying to watch LEDs after being used to my Panasonics. Widely available Ultra high definition content is still years away and my guess is OLED technology will improve over the next few years and prices will drop. If you are accustomed to the picture of a good plasma, I don't think you will be satisfied with the current high end LED's.
post #4 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 11:46 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 61
Go for the F8500, the 2D picture is spectacular. I absolutley love mine. Pretty sure one of the forums sponsers could get you out the door in budget too.
azcatsfan15 likes this.

post #5 of 13 Old 08-30-2014, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris5028 View Post
Go for the F8500, the 2D picture is spectacular. I absolutley love mine. Pretty sure one of the forums sponsers could get you out the door in budget too.

Thanks Chris, and everyone else. I love the picture of a good plasma more than anything and that's always the direction I wanted to go. My only concern was the fact that I will need to rely on whatever I purchase for a very long time, given that I will be forcibly retired in 10 months. That alone had me concerned that I might have to take 4k tv's into consideration.

John
post #6 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 05:52 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 71
I think given most of your criterion, the 64" F8500 Samsung is the only option.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
RCA 5 disc DVD HTIB for 5.1 Surround
post #7 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 09:26 AM

Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
Thanks Chris, and everyone else. I love the picture of a good plasma more than anything and that's always the direction I wanted to go. My only concern was the fact that I will need to rely on whatever I purchase for a very long time, given that I will be forcibly retired in 10 months. That alone had me concerned that I might have to take 4k tv's into consideration.

John
If you can buy via Costco, you can get a very cheap extended warranty via SquareTrade for a total 5yr warranty protection. That may be a good option for you given your concerns and present situation.
post #8 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 02:34 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by orion2001 View Post
If you can buy via Costco, you can get a very cheap extended warranty via SquareTrade for a total 5yr warranty protection. That may be a good option for you given your concerns and present situation.
.ignore

Last edited by umass66; 09-02-2014 at 02:39 PM. Reason: mistake
post #9 of 13 Old 09-02-2014, 02:40 PM

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 21
4K does not make sense in the 60-64" display size at the usual viewing distance ( 10-12 feet ) over 1080p. also once you get older your ability to resolve fine detail decreases.
As your previous set was a pioneer elite your PQ requirement is high . Your best bet is Samsung 64F8500 as others have suggested. In Nov 2014 samsung will cease production of plasma and it is quite possible that bestbuy may put them on clearance like they did for the Panasonic VT60.

At the 2013 HDTV Shootout i saw a pioneer krp-500m, samsung 64f8500, panasonic 65vt60 and 65zt60 side by side. they were all virtually identical.
post #10 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 10:05 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

After more than a great deal of thought, I finally decided to pass on my initial response, which was to buy the Samsung F8500 64". I woke up this morning ready to do just that. As the shootout showed, its clearly the best flat screen tv currently available. And if I was going to buy something that would provide me the best picture over the next few years, that would, without question, be my choice. However, my corporate forced early retirement means that the tv I buy now may well have to cover me for another 7-8 years, and in the end, I can't comfortably lock myself into such a limiting choice in terms of technology. A tv capable of 4k seems to now, reluctantly, be a requirement, looking logically towards the future. As much as I love plasma, and wanted to purchase its last great offering, on the advice of many forum members, I am throwing all my chips on the table for the very soon to be available Vizio P Series. If it fails to be what is expected, I will have made an irrevocably wrong choice because, after the failures in the shootout, I know of no other affordable or available options. But it was my choice, and so I roll the dice. Long live the P series, I hope!

Thanks to all of you for your input.

John

Last edited by John Clark; 09-05-2014 at 10:15 PM.
post #11 of 13 Old 09-05-2014, 11:30 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
me too, I don't think you will be satisfied with the current high end LED's.thanks
post #12 of 13 Old 09-07-2014, 08:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacelogide View Post
me too, I don't think you will be satisfied with the current high end LED's.thanks

Thanks Lacelogide. It was a very, very tough choice. And by the time the P series arrives, there will be no F8500's left, so, I'm committed. If the P series doesn't, as expected, produce a great tv, I'm not sure I have any other options left. Damn that technology curve!

John
post #13 of 13 Old 09-09-2014, 06:45 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked: 476
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark View Post
After more than a great deal of thought, I finally decided to pass on my initial response, which was to buy the Samsung F8500 64". I woke up this morning ready to do just that. As the shootout showed, its clearly the best flat screen tv currently available. And if I was going to buy something that would provide me the best picture over the next few years, that would, without question, be my choice. However, my corporate forced early retirement means that the tv I buy now may well have to cover me for another 7-8 years, and in the end, I can't comfortably lock myself into such a limiting choice in terms of technology. A tv capable of 4k seems to now, reluctantly, be a requirement, looking logically towards the future.
Exactly why do you think a 4K TV is a requirement?

Do you anticipate having access to 4K content or sources in the near or even distant future? And if so, what will you be viewing in 4K and what percentage of your viewing will be 4K content compared to current 1080i/1080p content?

Are you sure that choosing a 4K LCD TV would justify sacrificing your picture quality and black levels etc as opposed to that of the the F8500 Plasma?

Randy
TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TH-42PX50U, HP LC2600N, TiVo Series3, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333, URC R40 Remote.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gallery -
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page