Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 09-03-2014, 12:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Saw a curved TV for the 1st time on Monday, not sure what the purpose is.
post #3 of 22 Old 09-03-2014, 04:02 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
Well I think we all knew it was only a matter of time! I hope that this means more and better OLED's for the future. I would like to think if they start to make inroads and profit for this tech that Panasonic and Samsung would want to give them some competition.
post #4 of 22 Old 09-03-2014, 09:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 204 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Well I think we all knew it was only a matter of time! I hope that this means more and better OLED's for the future. I would like to think if they start to make inroads and profit for this tech that Panasonic and Samsung would want to give them some competition.

You nailed it on the head. Panasonic to make OLED's.
discone likes this.
post #5 of 22 Old 09-17-2014, 10:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by igreg View Post
You nailed it on the head. Panasonic to make OLED's.
Who right now will be making 2015 model OLED TVs ? 2016 models ?
post #6 of 22 Old 09-18-2014, 08:38 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I was told by an LG rep it's so you can see all four corners.
post #7 of 22 Old 09-18-2014, 10:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipalikewalnuts View Post
I was told by an LG rep it's so you can see all four corners.
Since you can see all 4 corners on a smaller TV, isn't BIG and CURVED than an oxymoron ?

I personally don't get the attraction. Maybe if I watch something -- movies, sports, 3D -- I would see what the rationale is for curved.
post #8 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 06:26 AM

It was a joke

Sorry.
post #9 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 06:31 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
To try and to get our money with another useless gimmick
post #10 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 07:06 AM

^ Yeah you know what.- There was a time when for the average Joe, we thought 64" was WAY too big, no-one would ever need such a large TV....

Now we want bigger and sit closer. Always looking for more.

Curved may indeed wean it's way into our psyche and become a requisite.
post #11 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 46
Quote:
I see no purpose in a curved plasma, and a real need for curved displays in large LCD panels.

Consider the off-axis characteristics of the two display technologies. If you're set up per SMTPE viewing distances (30 degree screen coverage), and seated on-axis, the edge of the screen is 15 degees off-axis. Sit closer and the angle is greater. If a display technology has issues with off-axis viewing, you may see off-axis degradation when sitting on-axis. Curving the screen addresses this.

Have fun,
Frank
post #12 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 11:11 AM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Quote:
^

Please NO don't make it SO! I love a lot of things with curve's women, car's, but not TV's although that is just my thought's.

If all the people become crazed and fall in love with curved tv's what will happen to the folks with projector's?

Then they may have to buy a new curved projector screen to enjoy whatever their watching!
post #13 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 11:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 888 Post(s)
Liked: 968
Quote:
^ Yeah you know what.- There was a time when for the average Joe, we thought 64" was WAY too big, no-one would ever need such a large TV....

Now we want bigger and sit closer. Always looking for more.

I hope not, it's distorts the image. even if you are sitting at the 'focal' point exactly, it's only curved horizontally, not vertically, so you don't really get a perfect 'wrap-around' feeling natural image.

it's funny, when the best thing they are saying about the curve, is that if you sit in the right spot it's not very noticeable...

if not being noticeable is the goal, why do it at all? so bizarre

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #14 of 22 Old 09-19-2014, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by discone View Post
Please NO don't make it SO! I love a lot of things with curve's women, car's, but not TV's although that is just my thought's.

If all the people become crazed and fall in love with curved tv's what will happen to the folks with projector's?

Then they may have to buy a new curved projector screen to enjoy whatever their watching!
you mean dig out the old curved screens they used to 'need' before they were lucky enough to get projectors capable of projecting a sharp, uniform image on a flat screen.

curved screens, is literally a step backwards, not forwards. or at least it is with todays sources. maybe they'll start making sources that are edited specifically for curved screens, and we can start expanding around the room(since we're already at the point where larger TV's likely won't fit) until we get full 360* screen walls.

but to be honest, I don't think i'd want that, even in a dedicated room.
discone likes this.

post #15 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
I hope not, it's distorts the image. even if you are sitting at the 'focal' point exactly, it's only curved horizontally, not vertically, so you don't really get a perfect 'wrap-around' feeling natural image.
For 1 person watching dead-on, what's the optical rationale for a curved TV and how did they determine the amount of 'curve' that was optimal ?

Quote:
it's funny, when the best thing they are saying about the curve, is that if you sit in the right spot it's not very noticeable...if not being noticeable is the goal, why do it at all? so bizarre
And with regard to my point above, if more than 1 person is watching -- let's say 4-5 people -- and a few are watching from the SIDES, then what ???
post #16 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
For 1 person watching dead-on, what's the optical rationale for a curved TV and how did they determine the amount of 'curve' that was optimal ?

And with regard to my point above, if more than 1 person is watching -- let's say 4-5 people -- and a few are watching from the SIDES, then what ???
I honestly have no idea what they are claiming. and to the best of my knowledge they didn't do anything 'specific' to optimize the curve. they certainly don't seem to advertise that spec in anyway whatsoever.

but from what I can see, if the curve is subtle, and you sit inside the focal 'cone', the effects of viewing angle should be improved. if you sit outside the focal 'cone' the viewing angle is worse(the edges would be more off axis than if it were flat)

but regardless of any of this, the fact the display is only curved in one dimension will skew all horizontal lines. I don't know if it's possible to design the program material to account for this, but if show it'd have to be done with the known radius of the curve, and viewing distance, so I can't ever see it become standard practice.

if the curve is too severe, you end up getting a fisheye lens kind of effect happening.

post #17 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 07:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 112
I honestly don't know why the TV manufacturers felt that a curved display was going attract consumers? While I have a great TV (one of the best out there) I certainly don't consider myself a "videophile" and at first glance and every time subsequent to that I have hated the curved screens. Was at Best Buy yesterday and Samsung must have some big relationship with Best Buy because they have an entire section devoted to Samsung TV's and they are all curved. Couldn't make heads or tails how the curve is an advantage to anyone not looking at the TV dead center. As with every typical LCD the off axis viewing showed lesser color and lower brightness, plus the curve was more revealing which was a deal breaker to me.
post #18 of 22 Old 09-27-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I honestly don't know why the TV manufacturers felt that a curved display was going attract consumers? While I have a great TV (one of the best out there) I certainly don't consider myself a "videophile" and at first glance and every time subsequent to that I have hated the curved screens. Was at Best Buy yesterday and Samsung must have some big relationship with Best Buy because they have an entire section devoted to Samsung TV's and they are all curved. Couldn't make heads or tails how the curve is an advantage to anyone not looking at the TV dead center. As with every typical LCD the off axis viewing showed lesser color and lower brightness, plus the curve was more revealing which was a deal breaker to me.
unfortunately, the 'have you seen the new curved TV's?' question has been asked with great enthusiasm a few times to me. I think a lot of ppl who don't know much, do think they are something very special. I get the feeling they are asking me about it, because they want to impress me with their knowledge of such 'high end' things. I've learned to be pretty neutral when discussing a lot of a/v related things with my friends. I just don't know how to explain that thing they just bought for some gross amount of money isn't half as good as they expect it to be. sometimes they realize it on their own, and then we can talk real talk, but mostly I just try not to watch movies for the first time at anybody else's house, haha

there is still a LARGE group of consumers that will buy a tv solely based on the way it looks, when turned off. I would say more of my friends are likely to not buy a tv because of thick bezels, 'fat' depth, or the stand looking 'funny', than they are to avoid a tv because it has poor viewing angles, motion, or any other issue with the actual image being displayed. because, you know, it's a 1080p tv, and all 1080p tv are the same image, a 1080p one...

post #19 of 22 Old 09-28-2014, 11:06 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 209 Post(s)
Liked: 112
Quote:
unfortunately, the 'have you seen the new curved TV's?' question has been asked with great enthusiasm a few times to me. I think a lot of ppl who don't know much, do think they are something very special. I get the feeling they are asking me about it, because they want to impress me with their knowledge of such 'high end' things. I've learned to be pretty neutral when discussing a lot of a/v related things with my friends. I just don't know how to explain that thing they just bought for some gross amount of money isn't half as good as they expect it to be. sometimes they realize it on their own, and then we can talk real talk, but mostly I just try not to watch movies for the first time at anybody else's house, haha

there is still a LARGE group of consumers that will buy a tv solely based on the way it looks, when turned off. I would say more of my friends are likely to not buy a tv because of thick bezels, 'fat' depth, or the stand looking 'funny', than they are to avoid a tv because it has poor viewing angles, motion, or any other issue with the actual image being displayed. because, you know, it's a 1080p tv, and all 1080p tv are the same image, a 1080p one...
Yep, that's the sad truth. Many people make emotional purchases rather than practical ones. I love aesthetics too, it certainly gives your equipment a high-tech look but I won't put aesthetics ahead of good PQ. I immediately saw the benefits of Plasma over LCD, even at first glance. But for many others as long as the LCD TV is advertised as 1080p (or 4K), has a enormous sized screen to brag about, can literally blind you based on how bright it gets and has a shiny bezel around it people tend to think they bought the best.
post #20 of 22 Old 09-28-2014, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
Yep, that's the sad truth. Many people make emotional purchases rather than practical ones. I love aesthetics too, it certainly gives your equipment a high-tech look but I won't put aesthetics ahead of good PQ. I immediately saw the benefits of Plasma over LCD, even at first glance. But for many others as long as the LCD TV is advertised as 1080p (or 4K), has a enormous sized screen to brag about, can literally blind you based on how bright it gets and has a shiny bezel around it people tend to think they bought the best.
there's been two times when I actually got 'excited' about a display.

when I first brought home the f8500, and realized I'd finally got something that looked as good as the old CRT RPTV that I had taken for granted. and when I did my first calibration and discovered it could look even better.

I brought home a cheapish Samsung led (d6400) a couple years back, and I was kind of impressed with how sleek it looked sitting on the new stand I bought for it. but when I turned it on, yuck. I actually thought it was defective(clouding). I would liken it to having a gorgeous woman in front of you, but she keeps kicking you in the nuts. beauty just can't overcome the important things...

I can already see the ppl gleaming from pride with their new seiki 4k tv. and being twice as proud because they actually paid less for their awesome 4ktv than I paid for my 'ancient' plasma... I love that ppl can be happy with what they bought, but that's not quite the same. I mean I'm happy with the f8500, especially for the price I paid, but that doesn't mean I don't sometimes wish I was rich and could have bought a kuro, or zt60...

post #21 of 22 Old 09-28-2014, 06:25 PM

Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
there's been two times when I actually got 'excited' about a display.

when I first brought home the f8500, and realized I'd finally got something that looked as good as the old CRT RPTV that I had taken for granted. and when I did my first calibration and discovered it could look even better.

I brought home a cheapish Samsung led (d6400) a couple years back, and I was kind of impressed with how sleek it looked sitting on the new stand I bought for it. but when I turned it on, yuck. I actually thought it was defective(clouding). I would liken it to having a gorgeous woman in front of you, but she keeps kicking you in the nuts. beauty just can't overcome the important things...

I can already see the ppl gleaming from pride with their new seiki 4k tv. and being twice as proud because they actually paid less for their awesome 4ktv than I paid for my 'ancient' plasma... I love that ppl can be happy with what they bought, but that's not quite the same. I mean I'm happy with the f8500, especially for the price I paid, but that doesn't mean I don't sometimes wish I was rich and could have bought a kuro, or zt60...
Heh, its debatable as to if the Kuro or ZT60 are really any better than the F8500. Many who have seen them side by side have said they rather the picture of the 8500. At some point it basically becomes a case of "the grass is always greener".

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

post #22 of 22 Old 09-28-2014, 10:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: Canada - West Island: Vancouver, South Direction: Go East
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2125 Post(s)
Liked: 612
Another one bites the dust. ...Plasma maker.

Now we got zero left.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page