Pioneer KRP-500M step-by-step Red Tint Removal Guide (Non Reset panels) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Old 09-12-2014, 05:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked: 274
Pioneer KRP-500M step-by-step Red Tint Removal Guide (Non Reset panels)

I've been getting lot of PM's on how I removed red tint on my KURO.

This step-by-step guide is for those who want to remove red tint without resetting their panels. I will not be responsible for anything that happens to your KURO.

You need these cables to connect your KURO to your PC.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6-Fee...5R0HB7WRYNZ05V

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-23...2+serial+cable

Download KuroControl program:
KuroControl program for Pioneer KRP500m/600m and Elites

*Update*
Lower VOL RST P to 1 and adjust voltages.

1. Connect the cables, turn the tv on (using the remote), and run KuroControl program

2. Select COM3 on Serial Port

3. Click on Connect

4. Type these commands in the KuroControl to enter service menu:
Type FAY and click Send
Type FACS01 and click Send

Service menu will pop up on the KURO.

5. Press Enter button on your remote

6. Press Down Arrow button on your remote until you get to PANEL -1 ADJ (+)

7. Press Enter button on your remote.

8. Press down arrow button to select VOL YKNOFS1 D

9. Press Left or Right arrow button on your remote to lower or increase voltages.

10. Press down arrow button to select VOL YKNOFS3 D

11. Press Left or Right arrow button on your remote to lower or increase voltages.

12. Press down arrow button to select VOL YKNOFS4 D

13. Press Left or Right arrow button on your remote to lower or increase voltages.

14. Press Enter button on your remote (when your done adjusting all the voltages)

PANEL -1 ADJ (+) will be on the screen

15. Type FACS00 and click Send on KuroControl

16. Type FAN and click Send

17. Turn off KURO and turn it back on

You are done!

Tip:
Make sure to write down your stock voltages first before adjusting.
Do not adjust any other settings! Only adjust VOL RST P, VOL YKNOFS1 D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, and VOL YKNOFS4 D.
Try not to go below Pioneer factory recommended voltage settings:

When adjusting voltages, make sure you do it at the same amount/distance between them up or down inside the adjustment range.
You can have OLED like blacks. (You must lower the voltages below recommended settings to achieve OLED like blacks with no glow) Artifacts or other issues may appear, so adjust voltages accordingly.

Good luck!

Standard red tinted KRP: 30 sec exposure

Tweaked KRP: 30 sec exposure, adjusted to OLED like levels, no glow

My factory voltage settings:
VOL SUS: 128
VOL OFFSET: 113
VOL RST P: 003
VOL XPOFS1: 085
VOL XPOFS2: 063
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 138
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 128
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 149

VOL YKNOFSA D: 128

New voltage settings:
VOL RST P: 1
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 88
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 78
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 99

Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide
Thanks to pg_ice, makaveddie81, hitman, and others.

Tubby

5.1 Setup
Display - Pioneer KRP-500M (Tweaked)
A/V Processor - Mcintosh MX121
Sources - Mcintosh MVP881, Oppo BDP-103, Pioneer BDP-23FD, Apple TV
Amp/Controller - Mcintosh MC303, MC207, MPC1500
Speakers/Subwoofer - B&W 803D2, HTM2D, 805D2, JL Audio Fathom F112

Last edited by tubby497; 12-21-2014 at 11:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-13-2014, 03:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Good , easy to follow write up!

I would also add in point - 17.Turn the display off and back on again (this saves the new settings in eeprom).
tubby497 likes this.
post #3 of 6 Old 09-29-2014, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 146
I don't see a step to lower RSTP to 1, which IMO, should be done before lowering S1, S3 and S4. Once RSTP is lowered, then find the sweet spot for S1, S3 and S4.

To test for artifacts, its best to use combi mask 7 on the 50 inch iterations, and combi masks 9 and 10 on the 60 inch versions.

Through my experiences with my 4 Kuros, you CAN go below the minimums on S1, S3 and S4, though the result closely resembles a reset display with blotchy/dirty blacks, tons of black lag, etc. So if anyone wants to replicate a reset, set S1, S3 and S4 to about 40 ticks below the minimum. Unlike reset, you can undo this by simply readjusting the voltages to their original value.

Another thing I've learned by experimenting with my 4 Kuros is that some panels are more resistant to voltage reduction, while others are quite finicky and display artifacts unless voltages are set to default. I am not sure what factor determines this.

Shameless plug, but Kuro Control only works with the 101fd, 141fd, 500M and 600M. My Kuro Command program works with those and the 111fd, 151fd, 5010 and 6020 and is much simpler (does not issue any commands after connecting), and easier to use.

Kuro Command Program
tubby497 likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 01-08-2015, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked: 94
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread bUt I get an error message when I try to enter FACS01.

FAY works and I can get into a Menu but it only seems to tab between informational screens and I never get near anything that looks like adjustments.

Any ideas? It's a 5020FD.
post #5 of 6 Old 01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread bUt I get an error message when I try to enter FACS01.

FAY works and I can get into a Menu but it only seems to tab between informational screens and I never get near anything that looks like adjustments.

Any ideas? It's a 5020FD.
Sounds like the 5020 is similar to the 151fd where the facs01 is not necessary to activate the service menu overlay since the fay command does it automatically.

As far as navigating the menu, I believe you have to hit the MUTE button on the remote once, and then page up/down button to navigate.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 02:15 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,
Firs a big thank you for all your input on these Pioneer threads its been a joy (and long time) getting through them.
I am UK based with a KRP500M. I have not had it long but noticed compared to my previous 5080XD the whites are not always white and look a bit yellowy or murky. This seems to affect other colours as well i think. Previous owner had the display ISF calibrated. If I change the AV Selection mode to something like Standard and then changed the colour temp to Mid then the whites look much better. But of course in the ISF i am not able to make this change.
So I would like to know what you guys think and if adjustment of these settings i.e. VOL YKNOFS D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 D adjust for colour also? For any 500M owners out there can you tell me what your Colour Temp setting defaults to as mine appears to default to Mid-Low instead of Mid which is the middle setting? I have tried using KuroControl but was not brave enough to change any settings just yet; i am wondering if i submit the FACS00 and FAN command will it overwrite my ISF settings with the ones in the xml files?
BTW all my voltage settings appear to be the same except VOL RTSP 26
Thanks Guys
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page