Pioneer KRP-500M step-by-step Red Tint Removal Guide (Non Reset panels) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 10Likes

post #1 of 51 Old 09-12-2014, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Pioneer KRP-500M step-by-step Red Tint Removal Guide (Non Reset panels)

I've been getting lot of PM's on how I removed red tint on my KURO.

This step-by-step guide is for those who want to remove red tint without resetting their panels. I will not be responsible for anything that happens to your KURO.

You need these cables to connect your KURO to your PC.

http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-6-Fee...5R0HB7WRYNZ05V

http://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-RS-23...2+serial+cable

Download KuroControl program:
KuroControl program for Pioneer KRP500m/600m and Elites

*Update*
Lower VOL RST P to 1 and adjust voltages.

1. Connect the cables, turn the tv on (using the remote), and run KuroControl program

2. Select COM3 on Serial Port

3. Click on Connect

4. Type these commands in the KuroControl to enter service menu:
Type FAY and click Send
Type FACS01 and click Send

Service menu will pop up on the KURO.

5. Press Enter button on your remote

6. Press Down Arrow button on your remote until you get to PANEL -1 ADJ (+)

7. Press Enter button on your remote.

8. Press down arrow button to select VOL YKNOFS1 D

9. Press Left or Right arrow button on your remote to lower or increase voltages.

10. Press down arrow button to select VOL YKNOFS3 D

11. Press Left or Right arrow button on your remote to lower or increase voltages.

12. Press down arrow button to select VOL YKNOFS4 D

13. Press Left or Right arrow button on your remote to lower or increase voltages.

14. Press Enter button on your remote (when your done adjusting all the voltages)

PANEL -1 ADJ (+) will be on the screen

15. Type FACS00 and click Send on KuroControl

16. Type FAN and click Send

17. Turn off KURO and turn it back on

You are done!

Tip:
Make sure to write down your stock voltages first before adjusting.
Do not adjust any other settings! Only adjust VOL RST P, VOL YKNOFS1 D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, and VOL YKNOFS4 D.
Try not to go below Pioneer factory recommended voltage settings:

When adjusting voltages, make sure you do it at the same amount/distance between them up or down inside the adjustment range.
You can have OLED like blacks. (You must lower the voltages below recommended settings to achieve OLED like blacks with no glow) Artifacts or other issues may appear, so adjust voltages accordingly.

Good luck!

Standard red tinted KRP: 30 sec exposure

Tweaked KRP: 30 sec exposure, adjusted to OLED like levels, no glow

My factory voltage settings:
VOL SUS: 128
VOL OFFSET: 113
VOL RST P: 003
VOL XPOFS1: 085
VOL XPOFS2: 063
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 138
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 128
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 149

VOL YKNOFSA D: 128

New voltage settings: (Red tint removed and minimum glow)
VOL RST P: 1
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 88
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 78
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 99

Pioneer 8G 9G Kuro Reset Guide
Thanks to pg_ice, makaveddie81, shockfett, hitman, and others.

Tubby
all clear likes this.

5.1 Setup
Display - LG 55EC9300 OLED, Pioneer KRP-500M (Tweaked)
A/V Processor - Mcintosh MX121
Sources - Mcintosh MVP881, Oppo BDP-103, Apple TV, Xbox One
Amp/Controller - Mcintosh MC303, MC207, MPC1500, SurgeX SA-82
Speakers/Subwoofer - B&W 803D2, HTM2D, 805D2, JL Audio Fathom 112

Last edited by tubby497; 02-14-2015 at 11:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 09-13-2014, 02:08 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Good , easy to follow write up!

I would also add in point - 17.Turn the display off and back on again (this saves the new settings in eeprom).
tubby497 likes this.
post #3 of 51 Old 09-29-2014, 04:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked: 203
I don't see a step to lower RSTP to 1, which IMO, should be done before lowering S1, S3 and S4. Once RSTP is lowered, then find the sweet spot for S1, S3 and S4.

To test for artifacts, its best to use combi mask 7 on the 50 inch iterations, and combi masks 9 and 10 on the 60 inch versions.

Through my experiences with my 4 Kuros, you CAN go below the minimums on S1, S3 and S4, though the result closely resembles a reset display with blotchy/dirty blacks, tons of black lag, etc. So if anyone wants to replicate a reset, set S1, S3 and S4 to about 40 ticks below the minimum. Unlike reset, you can undo this by simply readjusting the voltages to their original value.

Another thing I've learned by experimenting with my 4 Kuros is that some panels are more resistant to voltage reduction, while others are quite finicky and display artifacts unless voltages are set to default. I am not sure what factor determines this.

Shameless plug, but Kuro Control only works with the 101fd, 141fd, 500M and 600M. My Kuro Command program works with those and the 111fd, 151fd, 5010 and 6020 and is much simpler (does not issue any commands after connecting), and easier to use.

Kuro Command Program
tubby497 likes this.
post #4 of 51 Old 01-08-2015, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread bUt I get an error message when I try to enter FACS01.

FAY works and I can get into a Menu but it only seems to tab between informational screens and I never get near anything that looks like adjustments.

Any ideas? It's a 5020FD.
post #5 of 51 Old 01-08-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread bUt I get an error message when I try to enter FACS01.

FAY works and I can get into a Menu but it only seems to tab between informational screens and I never get near anything that looks like adjustments.

Any ideas? It's a 5020FD.
Sounds like the 5020 is similar to the 151fd where the facs01 is not necessary to activate the service menu overlay since the fay command does it automatically.

As far as navigating the menu, I believe you have to hit the MUTE button on the remote once, and then page up/down button to navigate.
post #6 of 51 Old 01-22-2015, 01:15 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hi All,
Firs a big thank you for all your input on these Pioneer threads its been a joy (and long time) getting through them.
I am UK based with a KRP500M. I have not had it long but noticed compared to my previous 5080XD the whites are not always white and look a bit yellowy or murky. This seems to affect other colours as well i think. Previous owner had the display ISF calibrated. If I change the AV Selection mode to something like Standard and then changed the colour temp to Mid then the whites look much better. But of course in the ISF i am not able to make this change.
So I would like to know what you guys think and if adjustment of these settings i.e. VOL YKNOFS D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 D adjust for colour also? For any 500M owners out there can you tell me what your Colour Temp setting defaults to as mine appears to default to Mid-Low instead of Mid which is the middle setting? I have tried using KuroControl but was not brave enough to change any settings just yet; i am wondering if i submit the FACS00 and FAN command will it overwrite my ISF settings with the ones in the xml files?
BTW all my voltage settings appear to be the same except VOL RTSP 26
Thanks Guys
post #7 of 51 Old 02-12-2015, 03:38 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Will these steps also solve the "pink pixels" problem I'm having with my 500M? I have both red tint and pink pixels. The pixels appear at the top-middle of the screen, and also directly in the center of the screen when conditions dictate it. The swarms of pink pixels only appear when the screen is mostly white or mostly light in color with some darker colors elsewhere on the screen.

Any help appreciated!
post #8 of 51 Old 02-13-2015, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repulser View Post
Hi All,
Firs a big thank you for all your input on these Pioneer threads its been a joy (and long time) getting through them.
I am UK based with a KRP500M. I have not had it long but noticed compared to my previous 5080XD the whites are not always white and look a bit yellowy or murky. This seems to affect other colours as well i think. Previous owner had the display ISF calibrated. If I change the AV Selection mode to something like Standard and then changed the colour temp to Mid then the whites look much better. But of course in the ISF i am not able to make this change.
So I would like to know what you guys think and if adjustment of these settings i.e. VOL YKNOFS D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 D adjust for colour also? For any 500M owners out there can you tell me what your Colour Temp setting defaults to as mine appears to default to Mid-Low instead of Mid which is the middle setting? I have tried using KuroControl but was not brave enough to change any settings just yet; i am wondering if i submit the FACS00 and FAN command will it overwrite my ISF settings with the ones in the xml files?
BTW all my voltage settings appear to be the same except VOL RTSP 26
Thanks Guys
Those settings will hardly do anything with regards to color. What they will do is lower your black level.
post #9 of 51 Old 02-13-2015, 12:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern_Lights View Post
Will these steps also solve the "pink pixels" problem I'm having with my 500M? I have both red tint and pink pixels. The pixels appear at the top-middle of the screen, and also directly in the center of the screen when conditions dictate it. The swarms of pink pixels only appear when the screen is mostly white or mostly light in color with some darker colors elsewhere on the screen.

Any help appreciated!
You might want to try increasing the VOL SUS offset in the service menu (or reducing the YSUS offset by a couple of ticks).

If you happen to stumble into a post from a now banned member instructing you to remove the back panel and adjust a pot, ignore it. Adjusting one of the above voltage offsets will net the same result and you can always revert any change by setting the voltage offsets back to their default setting.
post #10 of 51 Old 02-19-2015, 12:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hi makaveddie81

Thanks for the reply

Please note that i went ahead with the adjustments to YKNOFS D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 and all i can say is WOW! it fixed the problem with the murky whites totally as far as i can see. My panel now looks great! As you can guess it also reduced the tint to almost nothing and also my blacks are really nice now I watched Interview with a Vampire the other day and the blacks were great (it was such a disappointment before i made the change). In fact i had to change them to the same levels as tubby497. I hope this helps others who have the same murky whites i did.

Please note i havn't touched RSTP yet but i will at a later date
post #11 of 51 Old 02-19-2015, 06:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by repulser View Post
Hi makaveddie81

Thanks for the reply

Please note that i went ahead with the adjustments to YKNOFS D, VOL YKNOFS3 D, VOL YKNOFS4 and all i can say is WOW! it fixed the problem with the murky whites totally as far as i can see. My panel now looks great! As you can guess it also reduced the tint to almost nothing and also my blacks are really nice now I watched Interview with a Vampire the other day and the blacks were great (it was such a disappointment before i made the change). In fact i had to change them to the same levels as tubby497. I hope this helps others who have the same murky whites i did.

Please note i havn't touched RSTP yet but i will at a later date
Great!

Did the VOL SUS increase remove the pink pixels?
post #12 of 51 Old 02-20-2015, 05:57 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks Tubby it worked out for my red tinted 500m. Everything looks much better now with even more depth to the picture. Did you have your set calibrated because the pictures you have look amazing in the Kuro pictures thread?
tubby497 likes this.

The last line of defense for plasma fanatics. The only reason for defeat was companies actually have to make money from the products they sell. Damn.
post #13 of 51 Old 02-20-2015, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 369
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrgamer View Post
Thanks Tubby it worked out for my red tinted 500m. Everything looks much better now with even more depth to the picture. Did you have your set calibrated because the pictures you have look amazing in the Kuro pictures thread?
Yes, my Kuro has been calibrated.

5.1 Setup
Display - LG 55EC9300 OLED, Pioneer KRP-500M (Tweaked)
A/V Processor - Mcintosh MX121
Sources - Mcintosh MVP881, Oppo BDP-103, Apple TV, Xbox One
Amp/Controller - Mcintosh MC303, MC207, MPC1500, SurgeX SA-82
Speakers/Subwoofer - B&W 803D2, HTM2D, 805D2, JL Audio Fathom 112
post #14 of 51 Old 02-23-2015, 05:47 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I just picked up a used 500M on CL with about 7000 hours on it. How do I check for any red tint, if there is any? I have been watching some Netflix but don't see anything unusual about it. Thx.
post #15 of 51 Old 02-23-2015, 06:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 410 Post(s)
Liked: 153
Watch a letter box movie in a pitch black room. If it's there you'll see it.

Living room: Sony 60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Zero w/Ten Sub, Panasonic BDT230.
Current Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Future Man Cave: Sony VPL-HW40ES, Monoprice 106" Multi-Format Fixed Frame (Never again!).
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #16 of 51 Old 02-28-2015, 08:48 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for a great guide.

I did this yesterday on a krp-600a which i bought second hand a couple of years ago, it now has 8900 hours on it. There was a noticeable reduction in red tint, but when I adjusted down to the lower recommended values i got black rain, so I increased the values a little. Still think the display could be darker, but not sure where to go from here.

The values were
VOL RST P: 18
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 86
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 96
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 143

My new values
VOL RST P: 1
VOL YKNOFS1 D: 60
VOL YKNOFS3 D: 70
VOL YKNOFS4 D: 117
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wysixk5.png
Views:	94
Size:	103.9 KB
ID:	574625  
post #17 of 51 Old 03-02-2015, 10:04 AM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I'm curious whether anyone knows how to tweak Kuros without modifying voltages? It seems like D-Nice is the only person that has that proprietary information, and unfortunately I don't think he'll be touring in my area ever. My pro101fd has developed some red tint, and it's affecting my viewing experience.

Are these voltage adjustments the only way?

thanks.
post #18 of 51 Old 03-02-2015, 01:49 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
I'm curious whether anyone knows how to tweak Kuros without modifying voltages? It seems like D-Nice is the only person that has that proprietary information, and unfortunately I don't think he'll be touring in my area ever. My pro101fd has developed some red tint, and it's affecting my viewing experience.

thanks.
As far as I can tell voltage adjustments are the only way , but the good thing about voltage adjustments ,they can be changed back to original settings at any time , I would only change RSTP , S1 S3 S4 , no others , SAD changes S1 S3 S4 all at the same time because proper spacing must be maintained between 1 3 and 4 , so you change SAD instead of 1 3 and 4 to save time.

HTH

Mark
makaveddie81 likes this.
post #19 of 51 Old 03-05-2015, 06:08 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
I have all cables connected with the serial port attached to my kuro, and usb to my laptop. I can't seem to get past step 1 hahah. The kuro control program doesn't even allow me to select serial port 'com 3'....

edit: I'm able to connect and select com 4 not com 3. But it seems that the program keeps timing out, and step 4 does not make any menu appear to pop up on my pro 101fd

Last edited by pdogg93; 03-05-2015 at 06:35 PM.
post #20 of 51 Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 AM

I had the same problem as the poster above me. Hooked up a laptop computer to my TV using the cables suggested, opened KuroControl, and the dropdown menu next to Serial is just empty; nothing to choose within it at all.

Also, I wanted to make sure that following the steps above will result in voltage change for ALL picture settings. I purchased my 500m used and it already has ISF-Day and ISF-Night calibration profiles. I want to make sure that following the above steps will not somehow delete these profiles. I'm very new to this but would love to get the most out of my TV; especially eliminating the pink pixels problem. Thanks!
post #21 of 51 Old 03-30-2015, 10:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post

thanks.
Just because you established connection doesn't mean that you are connected to the Kuro. You need to know what COM port number your PC assigned to your USB to serial adapter, otherwise, you may very well be talking to some other device, like your mouse.

In windows go to device manager, and expand the ports (com & lpt) option. You should see your adapter along with its assigned port number in parenthesis.

Also, check your Kuro's serial settings, you may have to reset them to default (9600 baud rate I believe).

Not sure if the commands are case sensitive, but lower case always works for me.
post #22 of 51 Old 03-30-2015, 10:57 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I had the same problem as the poster above me. Hooked up a laptop computer to my TV using the cables suggested, opened KuroControl, and the dropdown menu next to Serial is just empty; nothing to choose within it at all.

Also, I wanted to make sure that following the steps above will result in voltage change for ALL picture settings. I purchased my 500m used and it already has ISF-Day and ISF-Night calibration profiles. I want to make sure that following the above steps will not somehow delete these profiles. I'm very new to this but would love to get the most out of my TV; especially eliminating the pink pixels problem. Thanks!
Follow the steps I provided to the previous poster.

Though, if your dropdown is empty, then your computer doesn't even realize that your adapter is hooked up and you wont see it in device manager. Have you installed the drivers for the adapter already?
post #23 of 51 Old 03-30-2015, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makaveddie81 View Post
Follow the steps I provided to the previous poster.

Though, if your dropdown is empty, then your computer doesn't even realize that your adapter is hooked up and you wont see it in device manager. Have you installed the drivers for the adapter already?
OK, that explains it. I haven't installed the drivers for the adaptor. I assume I can find these at the website of the adaptor brand, or is there something else I need? I'm really new with this and I've used Macs my whole life, so I'm borrowing my father's Windows computers to use KuroControl and have very little experience with Windows. Thanks for you help so far!
post #24 of 51 Old 03-30-2015, 02:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
OK, that explains it. I haven't installed the drivers for the adaptor. I assume I can find these at the website of the adaptor brand, or is there something else I need? I'm really new with this and I've used Macs my whole life, so I'm borrowing my father's Windows computers to use KuroControl and have very little experience with Windows. Thanks for you help so far!
Yeah you should be able to download it straight from the manufacturers website. What adapter do you have?
post #25 of 51 Old 03-31-2015, 01:53 PM

I apparently opened the packaging for the adaptor - TrendNet USB to Serial Converter TU-S9 - a little hastily, since I didn't notice that a driver CD was included! I'm going to install the drivers and try this again tonight.

For the sake of clarification, I want to make sure - is YKNOFS1 D (referenced by the OP) the same as VKNOFS1_2 (referenced in Pioneery's factory recommended voltage settings)?

The difference is the V instead of the Y, as well as the _2 added on to the end.
post #26 of 51 Old 03-31-2015, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I apparently opened the packaging for the adaptor - TrendNet USB to Serial Converter TU-S9 - a little hastily, since I didn't notice that a driver CD was included! I'm going to install the drivers and try this again tonight.

For the sake of clarification, I want to make sure - is YKNOFS1 D (referenced by the OP) the same as VKNOFS1_2 (referenced in Pioneery's factory recommended voltage settings)?

The difference is the V instead of the Y, as well as the _2 added on to the end.
Yes it refers to the same setting.
Northern_Lights likes this.
post #27 of 51 Old 03-31-2015, 03:22 PM

Thanks!

One last thing (I'm the guy with the pink pixels)... you said "You might want to try increasing the VOL SUS offset in the service menu (or reducing the YSUS offset by a couple of ticks)."

Should I increase VOL SUS by just a few ticks?
post #28 of 51 Old 03-31-2015, 04:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks!

One last thing (I'm the guy with the pink pixels)... you said "You might want to try increasing the VOL SUS offset in the service menu (or reducing the YSUS offset by a couple of ticks)."

Should I increase VOL SUS by just a few ticks?
In order for VOL SUS to have an effect, you need to increase it quite a bit. YSUS requires a 1 to 2 tick DECREASE.
post #29 of 51 Old 03-31-2015, 04:44 PM

I followed all the steps, including increasing VOL SUS from the default of 128 up to 143, which removed the pink pixels in real time with each increment I ticked it up. I quickly realized that increasing just a few ticks didn't help, which is why I bumped it all the way up to 143.

However, after returning to PANEL -1 ADJ, I enter FACS00 into KuroControl, click Send, and receive Command reply - FACS00. Then, I enter FAN into KuroControl, click Send, and receive "The operation has timed out."

I then turn the Kuro off, turn it back on, and the pink pixels are back.

I went back into the service menu, navigated to VOL SUS, and the value is at 143. However, as soon as I change it a tick up or a tick down, the pink pixels return to the state they were in when VOL SUS was set to 128. Bumping it back up to 143 eliminates the pink pixels again, but it seems like the settings aren't actually saving. They're displaying the numbers I changed them to, but not actually taking effect in the TV. Any ideas?
post #30 of 51 Old 03-31-2015, 06:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I followed all the steps, including increasing VOL SUS from the default of 128 up to 143, which removed the pink pixels in real time with each increment I ticked it up. I quickly realized that increasing just a few ticks didn't help, which is why I bumped it all the way up to 143.

However, after returning to PANEL -1 ADJ, I enter FACS00 into KuroControl, click Send, and receive Command reply - FACS00. Then, I enter FAN into KuroControl, click Send, and receive "The operation has timed out."

I then turn the Kuro off, turn it back on, and the pink pixels are back.

I went back into the service menu, navigated to VOL SUS, and the value is at 143. However, as soon as I change it a tick up or a tick down, the pink pixels return to the state they were in when VOL SUS was set to 128. Bumping it back up to 143 eliminates the pink pixels again, but it seems like the settings aren't actually saving. They're displaying the numbers I changed them to, but not actually taking effect in the TV. Any ideas?
Try setting VOL SUS back to 128 and reduce YSUS to 127 or 126. My Kuro Command program does not cause a timeout after issuing the FAN command, but you really don't need to issue it. FACS00 should suffice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread