AVS Forum banner

Is this an "issue" with my VT60

2K views 30 replies 7 participants last post by  zoyd 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

I did ask a similar question in the relevant thread but I find some questions get overlooked due to the speed at which the threads move.

So anyway I'm hoping some of you can confirm if what I'm seeing is an issue or normal.

Basically what I noticed recently is that when powering up the VT60, once the screen goes from black (start up logo) to an image, there is a quick "sparkle" of black pixels that appear on the image.

To further test this I have been switching from a black screen say a blank input, or changing channels using the internal tuner, and again once the screen goes from all black to a light colored image I see black pixels sparkle briefly.

Now I have to be extremely close to see this, some would say it's a non issue. However my concern at this stage is that it may be the start of something more serious.

I would really appreciate it if anyone can confirm whether this happens on their set, simply by switching from an all black screen to an image, and looking if you see black pixels sparkle quickly on the light parts of the image.

Thanks in advance.

See less See more
#3 ·
I aologize if I've broken a forum rule with regards to starting a thread. If I have then I'm sure a moderator will delete the thread.

I'm just eager to get some advice to put my mind at rest.

I appreciate that you did reply to my query with regards to the scrolling bar.

#4 · (Edited)
No forum rule but does this really cry for a dedicated thread ? First of all you are having to press your nose to the screen to even see the behavior, I seriously doubt your set is unique. Not sure what the exact cause is but my advice is to stop worrying about things you have no control over. I can guarantee if you call Panasonic about this you will not not get a positive response. Just my 2 cents, I'll move on but I really think you are stressing over nothing.

#5 · (Edited)
Fair points chunon.

However the reason for my concern is that I've never noticed this "issue" on previous panasonic plasmas.

I appreciate that I need to be extremely close to see this "issue", but my concern is that if it is infact not normal for the VT60 and possibly pixel misfire or something, then as I'm still in the return period I would simply return the panel.

I would rather avoid a situation where I ignore something, then 6 months later the issue gets worse and I then have to mess about with panasonic repair agents replacing panels etc.

So the reason I've even asked this question is for reassurance, i.e if most people said it was indeed normal behavior when going from a black screen to a light colored one then I'd know. However if a majority said their panel did not exhibit this behavior I'll simply return the panel.

Now before anyone suggests I simply return the panel if it's bothering me, I'd answer that it doesn't bother me at this stage as I can't see it from a normal viewing distance. It's more the worry that it's an issue that could get worse.

#6 ·
I understand where you are coming from but as I have mentioned I see the "specks" on the screen wipe so that is 2 panels that exibit the same behavior. I have approx 4400 hours on my panel now and no issues related to pixel misfires etc. Maybe that doesn't ease your mind, I am willing to perform the test later on this evening if it is something I can easily do within my setup.

#7 ·
Thanks for the reply chunon.

If you were able to perform the test for me later on this evening and report back it would be much appreciated.

It's just a case of going from a black screen to a light coloured image, I usually use a blank input and then switch to an input with an image on, the black specs similar to what you've witness on the scrolling bar appear briefly.

Thanks again for the offer.

#8 ·
Thanks for the reply chunon.

If you were able to perform the test for me later on this evening and report back it would be much appreciated.

It's just a case of going from a black screen to a light coloured image, I usually use a blank input and then switch to an input with an image on, the black specs similar to what you've witness on the scrolling bar appear briefly.

Thanks again for the offer.
Alright I will give it a try and report back. Other than this worry what are your general thoughts about the VT60 ? I am amazed on a daily basis with my set. I am hoping it lasts long enough for OLED to be perfected :)

#10 ·
Honestly you are not missing much from the ZT, they are pretty much identical in most viewing environments. I also think the fan issue is more prevelant on the ZT. Don't get me wrong fantastic set but I have no regrets. I had a VT50 which was a great set it its own right but had the yellow blob issue and had to return it. I agree on LG hopefully someone else picks up the OLED banner and runs with it.

#18 ·
Well it looks like something is not quite right.

I'm now getting misfires.

Here is a video, look closely at the White parts of the timer and network glob. There are misfiring/sparkling pixels.
It's a little hard to tell from the video but if you are seeing magenta sparkles in a bright white background then the green sub-pixel is not firing reliably. This is indicative of a driving timing pattern which is a bit out of alignment. It could get worse over time as the phosphors lose efficiency but the timescale is probably pretty long (years, not months). It's not really harmful in and of itself so it depends on how noticeable it is during normal viewing.

#21 ·
Thanks again for the helpful response Zoyd.

One final thing, I've read about changing VSUS to high in the service menu? What are your thoughts on doing that?

Any negative implications from doing that? Would that also raise the mll of the panel?

Thanks again

#23 ·
Thanks again for the helpful response Zoyd.

One final thing, I've read about changing VSUS to high in the service menu? What are your thoughts on doing that?

Any negative implications from doing that? Would that also raise the mll of the panel?

Thanks again
My experience from the Vt50 yellow blob thread was that it did not raise the MLL level I believe it had a very mild effect on greyscale calibration.

#22 ·
Changing the sustain voltage might help but I have no idea what that particular service menu setting will do. If someone else has tried it with no ill effects then go ahead.

#26 ·
I've searched the vt50 yellow blow thread but can't find clear instructions on how to make the change.

I know from elsewhere that you hold volume down on the tv, and press info 3 times on the remote control to access the service menu.

And then use 1 and 2 to go up and down the menus but not sure what buttons from there to select and save vsus high?!

#31 ·
bummer, if you can research/find out which register controls the rising ramp slope of the reset pulse (sometimes called Yrr or Yset), lengthening this parameter will get rid of the magenta sparkles. It will also raise your blacks a bit but it doesn't look like you need to change it very much to clean up the problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.