LG Plasma 1080 HDTV No Display w/ Blu-Ray - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-28-2014, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG Plasma 1080 HDTV No Display w/ Blu-Ray

I am investigating an issue that I have somewhat forgotten about for a few years.

My Father has a 50" LG 1080 HD Plasma television that he purchased sometime in 2010. He first purchased a Panasonic blu-ray player. When using the HDMI cable to connect the Panasonic blu-ray player to the television, the television would display a blank screen. So he returned the Panasonic player and then purchased a Sony blu-ray player.

Guess what, the same thing happened with the Sony player! With the Sony blu-ray player, when initially turning it on, a brief Sony welcome screen would appear, but disappear almost instantly. I most recently tested this Sony player further, and a picture displays just fine using the HDMI cable to connect the Sony blu-ray player with my 46" Samsung LCD HD television. So, I am putting the Sony player to good use with my Samsung television.

However, my Father also has a DirecTV HD satellite box hooked to his LG television with an HDMI cable, and it works flawlessly, and never has any issues displaying a picture.

I want to find him a blu-ray player that will work with his LG, so that he can receive Netflix on his television set - but I am afraid that I will buy another unit that will not be compatible with his television set.

In the past, I also contacted LG, Panasonic, and Sony, and described the issue to them. Each and every manufacturer told me that their product must be defective and should be returned for repair. But that must not be true, as each of the devices still works, but appear to not be compatible with each other for one reason or another. It is interesting how both the Panasonic and Sony players produced the same results with this particular LG television.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-31-2014, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Is this not a common problem?
Old 10-31-2014, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked: 103
I experienced a very similar issue with my Sony BDP-3100 about a month after I bought it. You would get the splash screen then nothing-- then the TV would say "No input signal". Did some research, turns out you can fix it by holding the "stop" ( If I remember right, you may have to google it) button on the player for 10 seconds.

It will reset the players video out to 480p. Once this happens the player works fine. When I tried to set back to 1080p, same problem-- very strange, but it seems 1080p out of my Sony player is broken, but all other modes work. I had to settle for 1080i, which looks essentially the same to me.

I know its not a problem with the TV because I have my OTA DVR connected and set to 1080p with no problems on either input. Sounds a bit different than your problem, but the fact that you see the Sony splash screen for a few seconds during bootup then nothing-- that is EXACTLY the symptoms my player gives. Try the stop button work around.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

Old 10-31-2014, 01:39 PM - Thread Starter

I don't think there is a problem with 1080 and the player, though, because it did this with two different players (the first Panasonic BD that was returned, and then with the Sony BD that replaced the Panasonic BD player.) The Panasonic BD player gave absolutely no display what-so-ever when connected to the LG Plasma HD TV, but the Sony BD player player does (as you said, just like your Sony player.) The players worked fine when using the COMPONENT video connections, just not with the HDMI connection.

Also, I have connected the Sony player directly to a Sony LCD HD television with the HDMI cable and it worked flawlessly.

Also, I have connected it directly to my Samsung LCD HD television and I have been using this setup for about two weeks now.

I doubt I will ever bring the Sony player back to hook it up to the LG television, but at this point, I need to find something that is "guaranteed" to work with the LG television, using the HDMI cable. Not being able to use the HDMI cable due to a compatibility issue would be a definite deal-breaker.

PS - At the time, I believe I also read up about this possible "remedy" about pressing the stop button, and it didn't have any effect, at least for my situation.
Old 11-02-2014, 07:10 AM - Thread Starter

By the way, the Sony blu-ray player that I currently have is a BDPN460. I am not sure what the Panasonic player was, as that was returned years ago.

But as I said, I don't think there is a real problem with the player, or the television, as both LG, Panasonic, and Sony has suspected. As I said, LG, Panasonic, and Sony each said that their products were defective and should be serviced. But that cannot be, because the blu-ray players worked flawlessly with other televisions, and the DirecTV HD satellite box works flawless with the LG television.

I believe that there is some sort of comparability issue between them.
Old 06-16-2015, 01:10 PM - Thread Starter

My Father recently had a whole home entertainment system installed at his new place. The installer guys were not able to get this same LG television to link up with any of their HDMI devices either. He ended up buying a display model 80" television to replace this LG.

So apparently the fault laid within the LG television all along. It is strange how the DirecTV high definition HDMI boxes had no issue linking with the television, yet all other HDMI devices failed to properly link.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked: 284
While it should not have been the case with the LG, some TVs cannot handle either 1080p or 1080p/24; for example I have an older Panasonic plasma that supports 1080i but not 1080p and will report no signal if fed 1080p.

Since the introductory screen is usually 480i or 480p, that would explain why you could see that, and DirecTV boxes are usually 720p and/or 1080i except for channels explicitly playing 1080p content.

Last edited by kucharsk; 06-16-2015 at 05:36 PM.
Old 06-16-2015, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter

I was able to set the DirecTV box to both 1080i and 1080p while using this LG television.

My Father also had a smaller Sony LCD television in his kitchen, and I believe that 1080i was greyed out because the TV could not support it. It could only support one of the 1080 functions, but the DirecTV box picked up on this and I was not able to select it in the menu.

Just my observations.

I will soon be getting my hands on this television to do more testing, since he will not be needing it any longer. Is there anything else that I can do?
Old 06-20-2015, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 318 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaine B. View Post
... the blu-ray players worked flawlessly with other televisions, and the DirecTV HD satellite box works flawless with the LG television.
If the DirecTV HD satellite box is putting out 1080p, it's probably 60fps.

I have owned two Blu-ray players, both would send 1080p/60 out the HDMI cable, but both could be configured for 1080p/24, but not all TVs could handle 24fps.

Another issue might be the HDCP handshake. I recall a few years ago many products (TVs and Rokus were what I kept my eye on at that time) had software upgrades to handle HDCP handshake incompatibilities. So it may be worth while to check if the TV has a software update available to it. (HDCP handshake failure usually appears on the TV as a solid color, but it varies between TV manufacturers.)

My very humble setup:
Man Cave:Vizio E500i-A1 "Smart TV" (50-in 1080p 120Hz LED/LCD, has Netflix app.), Sony BDP-S3100 Blu-ray player, Roku N1000 (original model), PC (Windows 7), Comcast Internet (120Mbps/12Mbps).
Bedroom:LG 32LV3400-UA TV (32-in 768p 60Hz LED/LCD), HD DVR (Motorola RNG200N), Xfinity Comcast cable (Digital Preferred Plus), DVD/VHS player.
Old 06-20-2015, 03:19 PM - Thread Starter

I will check on updates for the LG television again, but I believe that when I checked in the past, there was either no way to update it, or there were no updates available.

On the other hand, the Sony blu ray player has been updated more than a few times, as updates have been released.