AVS Forum banner

Game mode picture quality?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Vic12345 
#1 ·
Ive read on multiple sites that game mode degrades picture quality.Im not seeing it.All I notice is its a slight bit clearer.

In what ways does it ruin picture quality other than its in standard mode?

#2 ·
I can notice it on Resident Evil 4 on Gamecube on my F4500-- it produces a sharpening effect when on as compared to off. Doesnt look as smooth for shadows and color transitions. Makes textures look grainier.

That said, thats really the only game thus far I can easily notice it though.

#5 ·
Whats strange though is that options like Digital Clean View are still enabled in game mode-- I know because it was causing some image trailing/ghosting in dark scenes even in game mode. Once I turned it off, it instantly cured the problem.

So, while it turns off some processing, evidently it does not turn off all processing.

#4 ·
in most cases game mode disables some of the calibration options, like 10pt white balance controls. if you aren't using these features, then it won't make a difference anyway.

when I first got my f8500, I thought the same thing, looked basically the same. after buying a meter and doing a calibration, I now have much better video in my movie mode, while game mode as remained the same as when I first got it. so while game mode is still very nice(it was good enough to make me choose the tv in the first place) it no longer keeps up with the performance of movie mode.

for me, pre calibration
movie mode: 8
game mode: 8
PC mode: 8

after calibration
movie mode: 10
game mode: 9 (can not use 10pt controls for perfect gamma and greyscale)
PC mode: 8 (can ONLY set brightness, contrast, and sharpness)

#6 ·
From some comparison I've seen the game mode may have more pop/vivid then standard,but I wouldnt say for sure.Movie mode looks softer and more accurate and realistic than both,but it seems like I'm having too use dynamic contrast low and black tone darkest in this mode.sharpness 50 seems right for game mode.

#7 ·
That depends on the tv. Every tv is different.

The Panasonic Plasmas in the past, had a game mode with (huge) black crush and some dynamic gamma curve, very similar to the Normal picture setting. I could never use that.

Now you can switch every Picture mode to game mode, and I see none difference, and you can switch all you calibrated settings to game mode, just Frame Creation and some Image enhancements are off, but you turn them off anyway.

Is there a particular model you are interested in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.