Debating on returning the Samsung PN60F5300 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 08:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Debating on returning the Samsung PN60F5300

I recently bought the Samsung PN60F5300 for $679 out the door at hhgregg but I'm starting to have second thoughts on the TV. Don't get me wrong I love the picture but the screen reflection just gets to me sometimes. I don't have the tv in a bright room but there is one window that is directly across from the TV and then I usually have all my can lighting on while watching (4 lights in all). I hate the fact that I can see myself or other objects in the room if I look for them on the screen but again its only when I'm looking for them on the screen.

So at this point I'm debating on returning the TV and picking up a Samsung UN556203 LED since it would perform better in my room with the reflections (budget is only $650). Its such a tough call because I can control the glare (shade drawn on the window, dim the lights, etc.) but I just don't know if thats worth doing. The downside to returning and getting the LED is I pay the same price for 5" of less tv.

What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked: 865
Unless the LED has a matte or semi-matte screen you will still get reflections.

Problem is that cheap LEDs perform like cheap LEDs. Cheap plasma's perform like good or great LEDs when looking at PQ requirements.
Chere likes this.
post #3 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked: 40
If the TV is wall mounted you might try a pivoting mount. By slightly rotating my 60 inch in the living room I can control reflections and that TV is a freaking mirror.
post #4 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 09:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 61
I would keep the plasma , it's got a way better picture then the LED. I am not a fan of LED technology at all, Plasma all the way until OLED becomes mainstream and very affordable in large screen sizes. That's just my opinion. I have an ST60 and love it. Calibrated the tv myself using a meter and calibration software. The screen is reflective but it's not bothersome to me. I have one window behind my tv it's a large "picture " window in my living room. Plenty of light during the day with the curtains open.
post #5 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 09:45 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
You want to return it for the glare and not the pinking issue? At the $599 price point, it's unlikely to have any sort of filter. You'd have to go into your local store and see what it looks like.
post #6 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 10:38 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Keep the plasma and spend $10 on some cheap dark blinds or curtains.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #7 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 10:40 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Second
post #8 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 10:55 AM
sr

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have the same TV and also a Pioneer Elite and both suffer from the reflection problem. In fact the PC I'm typing on is no different. I guess the manufacturers chose this surface because it provides the brightest, cleanest, clearest, snazziest display. When the picture is being displayed, the reflections seem to disappear, and when it is really bad in a sunny room, I just draw the blinds. But in no case would I consider trading a reference quality display because of a refection issue.
post #9 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 10:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 339 Post(s)
Liked: 181
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGonJosh View Post
Hell, Walmart has blackout curtains for $10. I bought some and they work well for blocking out 99% of light.
post #10 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 08:39 PM

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr View Post
... I guess the manufacturers chose this surface because it provides the brightest, cleanest, clearest, snazziest display. ...
A single pane of clear glass on a plasma is like using a white screen with front projection. The white screen will give you the best image in front projection but is sensitive to washing out in ambient light. You either try to control the ambient light or go with a darker screen to try to maintain blacks, which can degrade the image. I live with the reflections on my plasma screen in the daytime because I know when the sun goes down and prime time viewing starts, I'm seeing the brightest, cleanest, clearest, snazziest display.
post #11 of 17 Old 11-30-2014, 08:45 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked: 92
I agree with Eric and all the others here but I have a slightly different suggestion for you. Why don't you get the LED and audition it next to the F5300 if you could take the CC hit until you return the one you decide not to keep . This also saves you the hassle of exchanging a second time if you want to go back to the plasma.

I think you'll be surprised how much better the plasma looks but in the end only YOU know what looks good with your eyes. The downside is of course the family might slightly frown having two sets in the mean time but it'll definitely be worth it
sytech likes this.
post #12 of 17 Old 12-01-2014, 08:30 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chere View Post
I agree with Eric and all the others here but I have a slightly different suggestion for you. Why don't you get the LED and audition it next to the F5300 if you could take the CC hit until you return the one you decide not to keep . This also saves you the hassle of exchanging a second time if you want to go back to the plasma.

I think you'll be surprised how much better the plasma looks but in the end only YOU know what looks good with your eyes. The downside is of course the family might slightly frown having two sets in the mean time but it'll definitely be worth it

So I actually just did something like this yesterday during football games. I still have my original LG 37" LCD so I set this up in the same spot and looked for the glare. As some others have mentioned you see the glare briefly on the dark scenes but it more or less goes away when there content playing. The glare was a little better on the LCD but honestly they seemed about the same. I think its just me being paranoid about dropping $679, never owning a plasma tv before and wanting to make sure I spent my money wisely on a good set. Definitely going to keep it unless this pinking issue shows up. I've heard about this but haven't experienced it yet on this set. The whites seem a little shaded but not pink.

On another note would anyone recommend getting this calibrated by a professional? I have some settings on it from the forums but honestly haven't noticed that drastic of a difference in PQ.
post #13 of 17 Old 12-01-2014, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked: 287
Tilt up the back legs < 1 inch and you'll probably be happier. I have a window behind my couch, too. This was what I tried before trimming the wood, works fine:

Congrats on a great buy.

Downloadable FREE demo discs:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1475769/de...ently-authored 

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
post #14 of 17 Old 12-01-2014, 08:56 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
That...does not look stable. It leaning forward, combined with sitting on two subwoofers seems like a recipe for disaster.
post #15 of 17 Old 12-01-2014, 09:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Hasn't moved in several months. Doesn't take much tilt to eliminate the glare from a window behind the seating position.
YMMV, I guess.

I do have to move the figurines back every once in a while, though.

post #16 of 17 Old 12-01-2014, 10:35 AM - Thread Starter

Jealous of those subs...
post #17 of 17 Old 12-01-2014, 03:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Make 'em yourself:
My "I don't DIY" build

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - PN60F5300 by PriceGrabber.com