3Likes
  • 2 Post By fierce_gt
  • 1 Post By HLdan

post #1 of 8 Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
F8500 Buzzed - Refunded. What to replace it?

Sorry for the broken english title but I wanted to keep it short. My F8500 buzzed and Samsung said they didnt have any replacement F8500s. So I think i'll be taking the refund instead of their replacement LED tv.

What should I look at buying now? I'd like to stay with Plasma if I can, but maybe i should just get an LED for now and wait until OLED drops in price in a couple years? 3D isn't a must for me but it would be nice since i just bought a 3D capable bluray player.

Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plashma View Post
Sorry for the broken english title but I wanted to keep it short. My F8500 buzzed and Samsung said they didnt have any replacement F8500s. So I think i'll be taking the refund instead of their replacement LED tv.

What should I look at buying now? I'd like to stay with Plasma if I can, but maybe i should just get an LED for now and wait until OLED drops in price in a couple years? 3D isn't a must for me but it would be nice since i just bought a 3D capable bluray player.

Thoughts?
Unless you live at a high altitude that is more likely to cause plasma buzz I would honestly try another F8500 unless you can obtain a Panasonic ST or VT. Nothing else is going to have as nice of a picture and buzz can vary from panel to panel.
post #3 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
Unless you live at a high altitude that is more likely to cause plasma buzz I would honestly try another F8500 unless you can obtain a Panasonic ST or VT. Nothing else is going to have as nice of a picture and buzz can vary from panel to panel.
I agree, unfortunately the F8500 is sold out at all my nearby B&M stores and also it appears to be sold out nearly everywhere online. At least at reasonable prices. Both Best Buy and Amazon were told out last time i checked.
post #4 of 8 Old Yesterday, 02:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 895 Post(s)
Liked: 972
i know it's just 'wrong' to return an f8500 just to buy another f8500 at a higher price, but i think it's equally 'wrong' to return an f8500 because of buzzing, just to buy another tv that looks terrible by comparison.

unfortunately you're now in a worst-case scenario situation. every choice you make is going to give you regrets. the only thing i can suggest is trying another plasma while you still can. especially if it's a straight refund and new purchase, you'll get a brand new return window. led isn't going anywhere, it's only going to get cheaper or better, and the same with oled, but plasma IS leaving the market, and anyday could be the last day you can buy one at a reasonable price. so buy now, think later, return if needed.

buy an f5300 or h5000, continue looking for f8500's. if the f5300 or h5000 buzz as well, maybe you're just too sensitive to it, and no plasma will work for you. but then at least you KNOW that. and in the mean time, if you happen along another f8500, buy it. you can always return the f5300/h5000.

basically, what i'm saying is that you only need to rush if you want another plasma. rushing into an led at this point is silly. even if that's what you eventually end up with, do it right, research the crap out of it and view as many as possible with your own eyes. shopping for a good lcd is SO much harder because the market is totally flooded with them, way more competition.
AMartin56 and HLdan like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #5 of 8 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i know it's just 'wrong' to return an f8500 just to buy another f8500 at a higher price, but i think it's equally 'wrong' to return an f8500 because of buzzing, just to buy another tv that looks terrible by comparison.

unfortunately you're now in a worst-case scenario situation. every choice you make is going to give you regrets. the only thing i can suggest is trying another plasma while you still can. especially if it's a straight refund and new purchase, you'll get a brand new return window. led isn't going anywhere, it's only going to get cheaper or better, and the same with oled, but plasma IS leaving the market, and anyday could be the last day you can buy one at a reasonable price. so buy now, think later, return if needed.

buy an f5300 or h5000, continue looking for f8500's. if the f5300 or h5000 buzz as well, maybe you're just too sensitive to it, and no plasma will work for you. but then at least you KNOW that. and in the mean time, if you happen along another f8500, buy it. you can always return the f5300/h5000.

basically, what i'm saying is that you only need to rush if you want another plasma. rushing into an led at this point is silly. even if that's what you eventually end up with, do it right, research the crap out of it and view as many as possible with your own eyes. shopping for a good lcd is SO much harder because the market is totally flooded with them, way more competition.
Yeah those are great points and I cant argue with you. The only thing I'll say (in relation to the buzzing) is that my last tv was a plasma and it never bothered me. This F8500 buzzes so loud directionally that it makes sitting in front of the TV unpleasant.

I'll see if I can scrounge up an F8500, but I'll add the F5300/H5000 to the list as well. I did a quick search on those and they seem pretty reasonable, albeit of lesser quality.

With plasma getting harder and harder to find, my only other option is to buy something cheaper (maybe a cheaper plasma like the 5300/5000) and wait for prices on the OLEDs to drop down to comparable levels. Which I feel like is probably a couple years off.
post #6 of 8 Old Yesterday, 07:18 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plashma View Post
Yeah those are great points and I cant argue with you. The only thing I'll say (in relation to the buzzing) is that my last tv was a plasma and it never bothered me. This F8500 buzzes so loud directionally that it makes sitting in front of the TV unpleasant.

I'll see if I can scrounge up an F8500, but I'll add the F5300/H5000 to the list as well. I did a quick search on those and they seem pretty reasonable, albeit of lesser quality.

With plasma getting harder and harder to find, my only other option is to buy something cheaper (maybe a cheaper plasma like the 5300/5000) and wait for prices on the OLEDs to drop down to comparable levels. Which I feel like is probably a couple years off.
Not to accuse you of being picky but was it really that bad? I have a 64F8500 and the buzzing is audible but I have to turn my ear to face the TV screen to even hear it. My Panasonic 55GT50 Plasma also buzzes but generally when a white screen appears. I've watched an uncountable amount of movies on my F8500 and never notice the buzzing. There are going to be issues and annoyances with ANY TV you buy. Sometimes you have to take the bad with the good in order to get the whole great package.

So I ask again, was it really so bad that you really needed to return the entire TV or were you truly not sure you wanted this TV and were looking for a reason to return it?
jeffrey r likes this.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 11:42 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
just to buy another tv that looks terrible by comparison.
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 04:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 354 Post(s)
Liked: 185
I'm a life long plasma fan but I've considered getting a 4K 70" Vizio P. They are $1999 at Costco. I do a lot of web browsing and htpc usage, and the plasma buzzing has always been an irritant. I think I owe it to myself to at least give full array local dimming a try. If it doesn't work out Costco has a great no questions asked 90 day return policy.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page