4Likes
post #1 of 50 Unread 12-07-2014, 05:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 17
F8500 back in stock at Best Buy

After trying 10+ times every day for quite awhile Best Buy finally accepted my order for the 51" at the $999 sale price. Those still looking for it or the 60" might give it a try quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 50 Unread 12-07-2014, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm in San Diego and although it still shows available on Best Buy's website, it is not available for pick up anywhere in SD and is showing as deliverable in my area...and that's as of this morning. Luckily I picked up a day old pn51f8500 from craigslist for a couple hundred more than BB is selling them for. There are a few more selling on CL in my area though many of the sellers are asking a premium.

If you were able to get it ordered then that is great. Hopefully it gets delivered. Someone was saying on here that Samsung is going to release more but every store I've talked to says they aren't getting any more. Though I paid a little more than current sale price, I was happy to pay it and get it in my house.
post #3 of 50 Unread 12-07-2014, 11:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Amazon has 60" and 64" in stock right now EST 1:51 pm.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
Panasonic AE4000 Projector
post #4 of 50 Unread 12-09-2014, 06:57 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I, of course, was surprised I could finally submit an order on Sunday, especially since, just the day before, I had talked to a senior CSR at Best Buy. She did acknowledge that more were coming in, in the coming weeks but would not be on sale anymore.
post #5 of 50 Unread 12-09-2014, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
I, of course, was surprised I could finally submit an order on Sunday, especially since, just the day before, I had talked to a senior CSR at Best Buy. She did acknowledge that more were coming in, in the coming weeks but would not be on sale anymore.
Hmmm I'm not sure I believe that,if true that would not be good for those that waited
to make their move.

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #6 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 08:46 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Thanks for the heads up! I just scored a 60".

I currently have a Panasonic TH-50PH8UK that only has DVI, not HDMI. So any new plasma should be a step up.

But now I'm having buyers remorse for several reasons:

Price: $1600 w tax is a great price for the set, but it's about double the PN60F5300. Is there that big a difference?

HD, not 4K: There's a dearth of 4K now & it might take a while to arrive. Will I regret my decision in 2-3 years?

Failure: I just today read somewhere (maybe here) that someone's failed after only 3 weeks.

Am I just being stupid for feeling this way?
post #7 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 09:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Yes Herb, the F8500 will outperform the F5300 by a wide margin in anything other than a completely dark room. It's daylight performance is better than any plasma ever made. 4K is overated for anything 60" and below. The price you got is fantastic. Pray that you receive it and dont get your order cancelled.

You just bought perhaps the best plasma ever made in the F8500, Certainly Top 3.

Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #8 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 09:11 AM

Thanks EV! That makes me feel a little better.

I was trying to hold out for OLED, but I caved once they became scarce.
post #9 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 09:21 AM

I'm back. I really need to stop reading.

Buzz? Seriously? Damn. Looks like it can't be fixed either.

Now I don't know which will disappoint me more, receiving the TV or having the order cancelled.

Last question because I don't want to annoy anyone anymore (too late): How long does it take if BB decides to cancel the order?

Last edited by Herb; 12-11-2014 at 09:52 AM.
post #10 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 10:16 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
I'm back. I really need to stop reading.

Buzz? Seriously? Damn. Looks like it can't be fixed either.

Now I don't know which will disappoint me more, receiving the TV or having the order cancelled.
I've read that most buzz with varying degrees, and some don't.

I own a 5300B and it buzzes, but can only hear it if everything is turned off and my ear is next to it. Otherwise I can't hear it.

The 5300B is a steal right now, and actually has better blacks than the 8500. While it's true that the 8500 will perform better in high light conditions, if you can control the light then you'd be better off with the 5300B.

If you have the time, you should get both, calibrate them, then decide. This may sound extreme, but you're going to own it a long time, so why not?

Also keep in mind that the 8500 has input lag so high that gamers say it's unplayable when playing twitch games.
post #11 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 11:53 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:

I currently have a Panasonic TH-50PH8UK that only has DVI, not HDMI. So any new plasma should be a step up.

Price: $1600 w tax is a great price for the set, but it's about double the PN60F5300. Is there that big a difference?

HD, not 4K: There's a dearth of 4K now & it might take a while to arrive. Will I regret my decision in 2-3 years?

Failure: I just today read somewhere (maybe here) that someone's failed after only 3 weeks.

I'm glad I could help, that's what AVS is all about.What is your delivery date? Keep me posted on delivery outcome.
post #12 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckardmac View Post

Also keep in mind that the 8500 has input lag so high that gamers say it's unplayable when playing twitch games.
I read somewhere on AVS that one of the firmware updates had lag down between 30 and 40 ms.
post #13 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 12:13 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Good news indeed! Now maybe I WILL get my 60F8500 on Monday! I'll celebrate when gets here!:smiley:
post #14 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomnan24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deckardmac View Post

I read somewhere on AVS that one of the firmware updates had lag down between 30 and 40 ms.
I've also read one should never perform a firmware update on the 8500. Who knows?
post #15 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 12:43 PM

tomnan24,

My delivery date is Dec 26th.
post #16 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 01:34 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:

I'm sporting the 60 F5300 right now, just set it up today in our living room. We have an 18 foot ceiling with two levels of windows (north facing) so not a lot of direct light, but a lot of indirect light. We also have a kitchen wide open to our living room directly behind the seating area, so yes. Our living room has plenty of light. Depending how old your old TV was, mine was a 2008, the F5300 will be plenty bright. YMMV. The colors will certainly pop too, compared to your old TV.

I thought I might have reverse buyers remorse in NOT being able to get my hands on a 60" F8500, but once the F5300 was set up and turned on, that all went away. The Pentile display is non-issue for me, too. ...up until I approach the TV to remove a disc from my Blu-Ray player.

I do wish I had 3 HDMI inputs, but a new a receiver (sporting Apple Air-Play and multiple HDMI inputs) will resolve that HDMI issue quickly.
KOA likes this.
post #17 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 02:15 PM

this is NOT true. There are NO more f8500 left. I called three best buy locations and got the same answer. I was able to let them know what happened to my tv and they said they would allow me to do an extended warranty for mine though. I asked a few places that if they had a new one in the box i would return mine and exchange for that and pay a lil extra. THIS IS A HOAX. Best buy employees themselves can't even order the tv.

And even if your order DOES go through, its only going to a little while for them to notify you and say they are all on backorder and then they will refund your money. Don't get your hopes up and waste time all day while trying to do your day job like i did
post #18 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 03:10 PM

Nearsighted,

Sorry about the issue with your panel. I'd be infuriated. Hope you get it resolved ASAP.

As far as "if" my order going through, it DID (they took the money). Whether or not they cancel it remains to be seen.

Regarding it being a HOAX... It very well may be a mistake or poor management, but it's not a scam. A scam is if the cancel orders and keep the money or ship used product as new. I don't feel scammed. Yet.
post #19 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 03:13 PM

craig_john,

Thanks for your impressions of the 5300. Do you hear any buzzing?
post #20 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

My TV is scheduled for delivery tomorrow Friday the 12th.

No one has called me and haven't received any emails to verified my delivery.

I tried to call BB but the automated system has me on hold so long I have to hang up. Over 30 minutes is unacceptable !!!
post #21 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 03:38 PM

Blue Rain,

Looks like you're our canary in the coal mine. Hope it's delivered tomorrow.

Customer service wait times are crazy.

I called in to check on things after reading that orders were being cancelled. My order didn't have my phone number on it. How did that happen? I had to enter it in to place the order. When the CSR finally connected, she put my number on the order, but said it wouldn't allow me to pull it up online. Kinda frustrating.
post #22 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Nearsighted,

Sorry about the issue with your panel. I'd be infuriated. Hope you get it resolved ASAP.

As far as "if" my order going through, it DID (they took the money). Whether or not they cancel it remains to be seen.

Regarding it being a HOAX... It very well may be a mistake or poor management, but it's not a scam. A scam is if the cancel orders and keep the money or ship used product as new. I don't feel

scammed. Yet.
Thanks for your support. I have some info on what i went through today. I live in illinois and i had them check for a new tv for me. we checked, indiana, missouri, wisconsin, Nobody has one. They might have one in other areas but the price to ship it would be ridiculous. Anyways, i was able to get an extended warranty on my tv for 529 for 5 years. The guy there even knew that mine was damaged and may need to be replaced. I am also still allowed to return the tv and warranty by jan 15th no questions asked. I was almost talked into getting a sony 850xb 65 inch 4k for 2800 out the door but then a warranty for that would be around another 800, so about 4000. I said to myself, you got a tv for around 1200 after discover card rewards and a warranty for 500 for 5 years. I think i did good???
post #23 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked: 158
Picked it up and did basic preliminary set up! So far so good! This thing is so good, I might buy another just to stash one away for the future!

Blue Rain likes this.

Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #24 of 50 Unread 12-11-2014, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Blue Rain,

Looks like you're our canary in the coal mine. Hope it's delivered tomorrow.

Customer service wait times are crazy.

I called in to check on things after reading that orders were being cancelled. My order didn't have my phone number on it. How did that happen? I had to enter it in to place the order. When the CSR finally connected, she put my number on the order, but said it wouldn't allow me to pull it up online. Kinda frustrating.
OK, I was leaving work and just about to go down the stairs ( 6:04 pm ) to get on the subway and my cell rings.

It's BB

It's too confirmed my delivery ( not a live person , automated system ) for tomorrow Friday the 12th (the date I picked) between 10am and 12pm.

{ Big Grin }

I ordered on 12-01-14

Anyone who ordered from BB and still waiting , my order still says "Order In Process" so don't worry about that.

So there's a huge chance whoever ordered around the date I ordered you will get your TV.

Good luck everyone !

PS: Now what to do with the 2nd 60" coming from Amazon on the 20th. Thanks BB for making us all nervous about not getting our TV from you .Causing some of us to have to hedge our bets and buy a 2nd TV from Amazon.

Amazon customer service ROCKS !
I contact them via their website and they call me back in 5 seconds flat and it's a live living breathing person !

Get with it BB and learn about customer service from Amazon !

I do like you BB

I also got an email..

Reminder about your appointment

View: Mobile | Web | Español

Your appointment is tomorrow

Hello XXXXXXXX:

The big day is almost here! We are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, Friday, December 12, 2014, between the hours of 10:00 AM and 12:00 PM. We'll call you by 9PM the night before your appointment with an estimated arrival time window at the phone number(s) you provided at the time of purchase (with either live or pre-recorded calls).

Click to add this appointment to your Outlook, iCal, Google, Yahoo, or Hotmail calendar. Note that Outlook and iCal links are not supported on mobile and may not work with all internet browser versions.

Below are important details regarding your appointment. Please review all of the points below, and if you need to make changes to your order, change your appointment, or have any other questions, you can call us 7 days a week, 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM (Central Standard Time) at 1‑888‑BESTBUY (1‑888‑237‑8289).

TIPS FOR A SUCCESSFULL APPOINTMENT - PLEASE REVIEW
  • Someone 18 years or older must be present for appointment (unless appointment is in AL or NE, then 19 years or older).
  • Please measure in advance
    • Prior to delivery, carefully consider the route from the exterior of your building to the intended location of your new product.
    • Double-check the item's dimensions and allow for proper clearance to ensure new product(s) will fit through all doorways, hallways and any tight turns.
    • You may need to remove doors to help facilitate delivery.
Thank you for shopping with us.

Sincerely,

Karalyn Sartor
Vice President Customer Care

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008

Last edited by Blue Rain; 12-11-2014 at 07:06 PM.
post #25 of 50 Unread 12-12-2014, 12:34 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
welp, I got sucked in by 8500 hype. nothing wrong w/ my sets, but at $1,600-ish shipped, I'm getting a great panel (60" IF the confirmed order actually goes through) and am forward buying. i'll keep the st50 in the garage as a back up and plasma use "extender."

a coworker showed me his purchase receipt and that really pushed me over the edge...lol. I'm crossing my fingers that I don't get a bee hive as my other sets are super quiet; here's hoping the purchase actually goes through. =)

thesharkman
Blue Rain likes this.
post #26 of 50 Unread 12-12-2014, 09:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

That's funny I'm upgrading from the same Panasonic TH-50PH8UK. Long overdue but that was a great panel. I wouldn't worry about buyer's remorse. You done good.
post #27 of 50 Unread 12-12-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:

Upgrading from a TH-50PH6UK myself. ;-)

• The F5300 doesn't have 3D capability if that's at all important to you.

• 4K is coming, but slowly. The better question is do you sit close enough to your TV for the difference between HD and UHD to even be visible?

• Some of every model fail; that's why there are warranties.

The bigger issue may be that if these fail, Samsung has no replacement parts available so if your TV dies you'll likely be offered a refund or an "upgrade" to a 4K LCD set.
post #28 of 50 Unread 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM

kucharsk,

Man, how long have you had it? Did you add HDMI to it?

3d is of no interest to me.

Another reason I decided to upgrade is the scaling. I'm trying to use an Amazon Fire TV with it and it does not look good. Definitely has to do with scaling. Thin lines vibrate / moiré. Menu text is almost illegible. Changing the Fire TV's resolution doesn't help. Would chalk it up to only having DVI, but my Apple TV 2 looks fine on it, so I don't know.
post #29 of 50 Unread 12-12-2014, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Just delivered at 11:30.

I didn't set it up yet ..I just check the tv to make sure it wasn't cracked.

I'll report back tonight..have to move things around.

BB came thru !

Polk 7.1
Samsung PN60F8500
73" 73738 Mits DLP
Onkyo TX-NR3008
post #30 of 50 Unread 12-12-2014, 09:57 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Rain View Post
Just delivered at 11:30.

I didn't set it up yet ..I just check the tv to make sure it wasn't cracked.

I'll report back tonight..have to move things around.

BB came thru !
Nice! Mine is supposed to be delivered from BB on Sunday.
Blue Rain likes this.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays