Samsung PN60F5300 - handshake issues - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-11-2015, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung PN60F5300 - handshake issues

Just got my PN60F5300B to replace my old Samsung PN50C6400. Everything worked well as far as connections where concerned on the old tv with my STB, PS3, and Chromecast hooked up to my receiver and one hdmi out from there to the tv.

Now with the PN60F5300B, it is connected exactly the same way but I can only get a clear picture via the STB. When I switch the receiver to the PS3 or Chromecast, the video will cut in and out and the image will give me white dots all over the screen (audio plays clearly with everything via receiver). This does not happen when I switch to the STB or play a video straight from the tv's media player.

When switching the tv's, the only thing I did was disconnect the hdmi from the tv and then set up the new one so I can't see anything being affected on the receiver side of things.

Did I miss something in the set up of the new tv?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2015, 02:29 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Do a little testing comparing a straight shot of the individual source vs. going through the receiver. Switch up the cables as well. Should narrow down the culprit.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter

I did a bit more digging. When using the STB, the tv shows the input as 1920x1080 /60i. When using the ps3 for example it shows as 1920x1080 / 60p and then gets buggy with the hdmi. When I pop in a bluray disc in the ps3, it plays fine as it plays nicely with the 60p format (game and movie). When I put in a dvd into the ps3 or just use the menu of the ps3 it goes buggy once again, same with the Chromecast.

I used the Avatar movie to test as I have both a bluray and dvd copy as well as NFS game.

Is there anyway to set the tv to recognize both 60i and 60p from the same source (ps3)?
Old 01-12-2015, 10:42 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 308
That doesn't sound like normal operation. I've had no issues playing either type of content via my HTPC and PS3. Try swapping HDMI ports on the TV but beyond that, it may unfortunately be a defective set

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter

Well turns out the issue was the HDMI cable going to the tv from the receiver. Like I said before, the only thing I changed was the tv, everything else was mounted neatly on a rack and out of reach from anything else. The new hdmi cable is exactly the same as the old, is the same brand and bought at the same time. Go figure.

And the weird thing is that everything is working perfectly now as it did with the old tv, even my Chromecast which was getting intermittent connections and drops to the wireless network (was going to tackle that next).

Either way I am happy now and will look to the calibration settings next.

Thanks to you both for your suggestions.

Last edited by Big Tasty; 01-12-2015 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-12-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Cool, glad you found it. Such a simple thing, a cable, but I have found it to be the source of my problem time and again (HDMI cables, optical sound cables, and a variety of computer cables). It's normally not the cable, it's normally something else, but it does happen!