Help on buying a Samsung 64" H5000 or not for $899 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-15-2015, 01:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Help on buying a Samsung 64" H5000 or not for $899

A store local to my area (thebigscreenstore) is selling these sets for $899 . Its comes with a 2 year warranty instead of the normal 1.

I am replacing a panasonic VT50 in a rec room we just made bigger. Im about 13' away in the couch.

I watch sports, movies and game.(xbone)

The room does get bright during the day and the glare on the VT gets annoying sometimes and I wish it was a bit brighter but overall isn't that bad.

I had my decisions down to a 70" Sharp 660u, 70" Vizio E series 700-B3 or a Samsung 65" 6350. They are all very close in price on Amazon right around $1300 +/- $1000. I also have approx $300 of Amazon gift cards to burn.

Anyone give me an honest opinion on which way to go here. Is the $899 price tag a no-brainer here even though I could get a 6" bigger TV with less glare? Im worried the screen coating on the VT is better then the H5000 and it may get overly annoying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2015, 01:32 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Off the top the H5000 and the 5300 are both great sets especially for the money but better suited to a light controlled environment. LG options will be similar.

When you say the room gets bright and the glare gets annoying, right off the top I think you need to take a serious look at the 8500 models. A 60", if you can find it, may be about right and perhaps in your budget.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:43 PM - Thread Starter

I'm wanting to get at min a 65" tv. I don't think the 50 to 60" is enough of a size difference to replace the VT.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked: 338
Does the store have a similar deal like BB? With BB you can return within 2 weeks, no questions asked. If they do, you could give it a test drive to see if you like it or not.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 307 Post(s)
Liked: 148
The H5000 is a fantastic set, I have one and love it. It does have reflections in brighter rooms but it's not as bad as I thought it might be. For that price.....it's a complete steal. Even what I paid I feel like I stole it.

Try it out if you can but in all but the brightest environments this TV is a beast. Daytime viewing is still doable but the reflections do cause reduced performance. I didn't think its a big deal at all.

Go for it.... It's a great TV!

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
Old 01-15-2015, 07:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 778 Post(s)
Liked: 949
Quote:
Originally Posted by duckbutter48 View Post
I'm wanting to get at min a 65" tv. I don't think the 50 to 60" is enough of a size difference to replace the VT.
Going from a 50" to a 60" will probably be more of a noticeable jump then you think when compared to each other in your own home. Of course a 65" TV would do more justice at 13' away.

The H5000 has absolutely no filter to combat glare and reflections so it most likely will be an issue based on what you have said about your VT but also the thought of going with a lower budget edge lit LED makes me cringe.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post
Going from a 50" to a 60" will probably be more of a noticeable jump then you think when compared to each other in your own home. Of course a 65" TV would do more justice at 13' away.

The H5000 has absolutely no filter to combat glare and reflections so it most likely will be an issue based on what you have said about your VT but also the thought of going with a lower budget edge lit LED makes me cringe.
The 3 lcd's I listed are actually cringe-worthy? Im having a hard time seeing anything on those TV's to judge them other then what every tv in the store has running.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
The 3 lcd's I listed are actually cringe-worthy? Im having a hard time seeing anything on those TV's to judge them other then what every tv in the store has running.
Most plasma owners would have a hard time going to a high end edge lit LED, so yes a low end is definitley cringe worthy.

The Vizio is at least a full array but with barely any zones so while it might help with some things it will still Falk short on others.

If you want an LED, I would look at the Vizio P Series as long as you will be viewing the TV head on.

With a plasma, you will always got a decent picture no matter the price range, and the H5000 is much better then decent. With an LED they need so many fixes in them to make them look somewhat decent and the lower end does not have most of the fixes needed.

If you are not bothered by bad motion, clouding, flashlighting and bad viewing angles then you might be pretty happy with an LED. Also, you must realize that LEDs will have reflections as well. The better LEDs actaually have screens like mirrors to help with color and pop.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:40 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric3316 View Post

If you are not bothered by bad motion, clouding, flashlighting and bad viewing angles then you might be pretty happy with an LED. Also, you must realize that LEDs will have reflections as well. The better LEDs actaually have screens like mirrors to help with color and pop.
You are really pooping my cornflakes this morning but I totally get what you are saying.

Whats worse is until I actually get whatever TV I decide on set up in my rec-room I probably won't realize how bad/good it is going to be and its such a PIA to bring a TV in set it up just to ship it back.

I just cannot get over all of the great/good reviews on the LCD's I have listed (at least the 6350 & E series) and believe that they are going to be that bad to watch but my gut is still telling me pretty much what you are.

The good news is buy the time I actually make a decision the OLED's may be in my price range.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:47 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
then get a 64" f8500...

if budget is an issue, you have to decide between size and reflections. personally, I'd rather see 60" clearly, than struggle to see 65" through glare.

LCD's are generally reviewed and rated relative to other LCD's. so it's kind of like being the best one-armed baseball player. your VT50 is most definitely a world-class display, so anything less is going to be an obvious downgrade in quality. you could perhaps try to find a used vt60 or st60 panny?

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 01-16-2015 at 06:53 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:52 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 552 Post(s)
Liked: 639
duckbutter,

The 64F8500 is going to hands-down be your best "glare preventer" for currently available plasmas. That in combination with its light output will be considerably better for you than the other Samsung plasmas.

Last edited by DavidHir; 01-16-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:56 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
The thing with the LED reviews is what they are comparing them to. It's sort of like comparing a Hyundai to a Kia to a Chevy, all will be at least good and one may be great. If you only read about these, it seems you should be able to go out and buy yourself a fine car. But when you open up your range to Porsche, Corvette (yeah it's a Chevy I know), etc. then all of a sudden the others don't looks so awesome any more. Especially if it turned out that they could be had for about the same price.

So that was a crappy analogy, but I'm trying to say that comparing LED's and picking a winner only tells you how they are vs. each other. Enter plasma and / or OLED and the others suddenly don't do so well anymore. Since you currently own a plasma, regardless of the LED reviews and regardless of how they can look in the store, once you got one home you are essentially guaranteed to see a difference and be disappointed. If you look around here there are a number of threads and a number of posts from people that went to an LED, returned it, and got another plasma. I haven't seen a single post from anyone about getting an LED and loving it and being glad they switched.

Anyhow, yeah, I think your question is which plasma to get. If nothing else that at least helps narrow it down!
Old 01-16-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
You are really pooping my cornflakes this morning but I totally get what you are saying.

Whats worse is until I actually get whatever TV I decide on set up in my rec-room I probably won't realize how bad/good it is going to be and its such a PIA to bring a TV in set it up just to ship it back.

I just cannot get over all of the great/good reviews on the LCD's I have listed (at least the 6350 & E series) and believe that they are going to be that bad to watch but my gut is still telling me pretty much what you are.

The good news is buy the time I actually make a decision the OLED's may be in my price range.
Trust me - those LCDs are quite that bad once you get them home and really put them through viewing tests. Allow me to summarize how this went for me:

1) Had a 50" KURO plasma that was getting small so I decided to try the LCD jump. Was looking at 65" screen sizes.

2) Tried a lower cost 70" Sharp LC-660U. Had it in my house for about 3 hours and returned it right then and there. Terrible TV in every way.

3) Spent a LOT more $$ and tried out a Sony Bravia XBR X650B 4K set. Much better than the Sharp. Great colors and a decent overall picture but because of the IPS panel the blacks sucked. Bars for films were gray & "lit" and anywhere I was expecting deep blacks I didnt get them. The 4K upscaling is a bunch of fooey too. I thought it helped at first but it doesnt. Also saw flashlighting on this set. Returned it.

4) Tried the Samsung 65" 8550 series 4K LCD. Better blacks than the Sony but terrible viewing angles( I mean even being off-center a little bit changed the picture quality) and a rather glitchy Smart Hub. Not a bad TV and probably *could* have lived with it but it was $2500 bucks and I hated the Smart Hub stuff. So, I returned it too. Not spending $2500 bucks only to be barely satsified.

5) Bought me a H5000 Samsung plasma in 64" and LOVE it. Glorious blacks, unlimited viewing angles, great motion and it was HALF the price for the same screen size LCDs I tried. No smart hubs, NO 3D, No extra BS that I didnt need. Sure, with a brightly lit room you'll lose some PQ but who cares? Most folks view seriously at night and this TV rocks in normal evening conditions. It still does fine for daytime and sports but you do lose some contrast due to the more reflective screen. Its a STEAL at its current pricing levels, IMO.

So after all that screwing around trying desperately to get on board with these 4K LCDs.... I ended up with a plasma anyways because LCDs simply have too many issues for me to deal with. Weak blacks, suspect viewing angles, clouding, flashlighting, you name it. Screw that crap.

Im sticking with this H5000 plasma until OLED or something else comes along thats worth my while.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Old 01-16-2015, 07:14 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2mikey View Post
1) Had a 50" KURO plasma that was getting small so I decided to try the LCD jump. Was looking at 65" screen sizes.
Thanks for all the info and crushing my 70" TV dreams....but I get it.

Did going from a 50" to the 64" seem like a huge difference in size? I mean did it have a wow factor in just size difference alone? Its hard to get a good idea of the size of the TV in the store compared to my tv shelf.

I plan on going to store to look at the H5000 this weekend. I guess its easier to fix glare in a room then an LCD picture.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:17 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 438 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
The H5000 is a fantastic set, I have one and love it. It does have reflections in brighter rooms but it's not as bad as I thought it might be. For that price.....it's a complete steal. Even what I paid I feel like I stole it.

Try it out if you can but in all but the brightest environments this TV is a beast. Daytime viewing is still doable but the reflections do cause reduced performance. I didn't think its a big deal at all.

Go for it.... It's a great TV!
I always appreciate your enthusiasm, especially for Plasma, but in this case the H5000 is completely the wrong TV for the OP. He has a VT50 that has the THX Bright room setting. I have this same setting on my GT50. It does a very good job in bright rooms, but this function still washes the picture out so it's more of a compensation rather than a true bright room TV such as the Samsung F8500.
The OP is already unsatisfied with the VT50's performance in a bright room and that has an anti-glare filter and it's made for bright room viewing. The H5000 will completely fail the OP. Let's be real about it and let our personal excitement for certain TV's go and understand that this TV won't fit his needs. Yes, at $899 the price is epic but the savings will soon diminish when it comes to actually using the TV the way he uses it.

As I mentioned we should set aside our personal enjoyment for certain TV's (as my personal excitement is the F8500) and since the F8500 is near impossible to get, I can only recommend the OP to go for an LCD set, even though they suck against a Plasma. He will get everything he needs out of it in terms of bright room viewing and night viewing. Yes he will definitely see the difference but why buy a TV such as the H5000 when the OP is already disappointed in the Panasonic (that was the top of the line in 2012) that is designed for bright room but still fails to satisfy his uses for daytime viewing?
ab2ab likes this.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Did going from a 50" to the 64" seem like a huge difference in size? I mean did it have a wow factor in just size difference alone? Its hard to get a good idea of the size of the TV in the store compared to my tv shelf.

I plan on going to store to look at the H5000 this weekend. I guess its easier to fix glare in a room then an LCD picture.
I don't think you're going to see the H5000's shortcomings in the store if it's set in a light controlled environment. If you're not satisfied with the VT50's glare and bright room performance (when it's has an anti-glare filter and designed for bright room use) you will not be happy with the H5000. As much as I do not care for LCD's I would seriously recommend getting an LCD for your uses. The H5000 is a great set for nighttime use only.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah - the 14" extra inches was night and day. Its like 40% more viewing area or some ridiculous number. Makes my 50" seem like a computer monitor.

As for glare - HL Dan brings up a good point about reflections and such. Seems like you will be able to see one in person though so that'll help. My bad on not completely understanding your issues with reflections on your superior Panny plasma.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I always appreciate your enthusiasm, especially for Plasma, but in this case the H5000 is completely the wrong TV for the OP. He has a VT50 that has the THX Bright room setting. I have this same setting on my GT50. It does a very good job in bright rooms, but this function still washes the picture out so it's more of a compensation rather than a true bright room TV such as the Samsung F8500.
The OP is already unsatisfied with the VT50's performance in a bright room and that has an anti-glare filter and it's made for bright room viewing. The H5000 will completely fail the OP. Let's be real about it and let our personal excitement for certain TV's go and understand that this TV won't fit his needs. Yes, at $899 the price is epic but the savings will soon diminish when it comes to actually using the TV the way he uses it.

As I mentioned we should set aside our personal enjoyment for certain TV's (as my personal excitement is the F8500) and since the F8500 is near impossible to get, I can only recommend the OP to go for an LCD set, even though they suck against a Plasma. He will get everything he needs out of it in terms of bright room viewing and night viewing. Yes he will definitely see the difference but why buy a TV such as the H5000 when the OP is already disappointed in the Panasonic (that was the top of the line in 2012) that is designed for bright room but still fails to satisfy his uses for daytime viewing?
Yeah - got it. I was replying in general with my own "story" about how the LCD shopping simply failed me. Im more of an evening viewer though. if the Op is concerned about daytime performance as much or more than evening then the H5000 cetainly gets knocked down a few notches.

As for my enthusiasm for the H5000 - I know Im prolly overdoing it but I cant help feeling tickled that I ended up with a baseline plasma that truly beats out expensive 4K TVs inbasically every fundamental PQ area. Sure, bright room viewing would be a checkmark for the LCDs but they dont get anymore checkmarks other than that from me

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Old 01-16-2015, 07:36 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If this doesn't look like a wow factor then get a 100" projector screen to be really wowed. Your 50" will look like a toy once you setup a 64" in the same space.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	50-inch-16x9-vs-64-inch-16x9.png
Views:	105
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	481818  
Old 01-16-2015, 07:43 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
As for my enthusiasm for the H5000 - I know Im prolly overdoing it but I cant help feeling tickled that I ended up with a baseline plasma that truly beats out expensive 4K TVs inbasically every fundamental PQ area. Sure, bright room viewing would be a checkmark for the LCDs but they dont get anymore checkmarks other than that from me
I 1000% agree with you. I will never get another LCD (unless it's for my kids bedroom) for my personal uses but in this case I just want to save the OP from buying a TV and getting it home and feeling disappointed that it can't produce well in a bright room when he's already disappointed in the VT50's bright room performance. Sadly, since he's coming from a VT50 he may even hate the LCD more since he's not used to seeing the flash-lighting and clouding and perhaps the poor viewing angles of LCD.
On the other hand since an F8500 is out of the question in terms of availability and his price range he may be better off "overall" with an H5000 since he's used to Plasma. He's going to have to change his usage habits and control the lighting though.
Old 01-16-2015, 07:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post

Well said.
Old 01-16-2015, 08:10 AM - Thread Starter

Again I appreciate the help.

Like I mentioned the Glare on the VT during the day is something I can live with but wish the TV was brighter overall sometimes.

My main goal here is for a bigger (at least 65"--64 is fine) tv for our rec room. IM not replacing my VT just due to the glare its all about going bigger in a price range that keeps my wife from divorcing me.

I think from reading everything I will have to sacrifice something in my price range. So I guess it'll come down to how much glare I can handle compared to how crappy of a picture I can handle on an LCD. I guess at least with glare I can look forward to night time with glare.

I wish that sometimes I could just be the guy who goes to the store and buys whats on sale and doesnt know enough to know any better to PQ or glare etc......
Old 01-16-2015, 08:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Again I appreciate the help.

Like I mentioned the Glare on the VT during the day is something I can live with but wish the TV was brighter overall sometimes.

My main goal here is for a bigger (at least 65"--64 is fine) tv for our rec room. IM not replacing my VT just due to the glare its all about going bigger in a price range that keeps my wife from divorcing me.

I think from reading everything I will have to sacrifice something in my price range. So I guess it'll come down to how much glare I can handle compared to how crappy of a picture I can handle on an LCD. I guess at least with glare I can look forward to night time with glare.

I wish that sometimes I could just be the guy who goes to the store and buys whats on sale and doesnt know enough to know any better to PQ or glare etc......
Makes sense. I have a feeling that you'll be much more inclined to accept some daytime reflections and reduced contrast versus all of the LCD shenanigans. You'll spend LESS too which always makes the chicks happy. You'll have to see though.

As for just being the guy that walks in and buys whats on sale.... nah, DONT be that guy! Its because of THOSE GUYS that we are stuck in the dilemma we face now which is plasma being gone and the LCds not cutting it.
fierce_gt and HLdan like this.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Old 01-16-2015, 09:55 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

We just made the jump from 50 to 64, a H5000 to be exact and at least for us it is a noticeable size difference.
Old 01-16-2015, 11:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked: 308
That price is amazing for the H5000! From what I can look up, the Day mode on the VT50 gets you to around 42ftL peak luminance, which is exactly the same peak luminance I can achieve on my F5300B and likely is the same on the H5000 (given the identical black levels on both sets). Day time viewing will likely be worse than your VT50 due to increased glare and blacks appearing gray due to the lack of the AR filter with plenty of ambient lighting.

That being said, both sets provide spectacular dark room viewing performance, and you will easily forgive its poor performance in daytime viewing. I would never trade my F5300B for any LCD set unless I only viewed TV/movies in the day.

Ideally, you should get the F8500, but if that isn't an option, the 64" H5000 at the 899 price is an exceptional bang for the buck.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Recommended calibration settings for Samsung PN60F5300B
Old 02-18-2015, 09:44 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I have both a 64F8500 and a 64H5000 atm. The H5000 is a freakin mirror and at 13' you should be fine for the pentile, but don't let anyone fool you the thing is a mirror. Now if you do find an F8500, enjoy finding one without a buzz, the one I just picked up is absurd even from 8', so yea fun for me.

But the F8500 is epic for any lighting, it's brighter than the H5000 too, but I mean I also bought the H5000 for a steal (less than half of what I paid for the F8500), so if anyone doesn't buy mine and I don't return it, i'll just throw it in my bedroom.
Old 02-20-2015, 12:32 PM

Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 168
As is so often discussed in the front projection screen forum when someone asks about getting a grey screen instead of a white one to help fight ambient light, the optimum solution is to try to control the ambient light and stick with a white screen. Serious video viewing and high ambient light just don't go together. All of the solutions for watching video in high ambient light conditions are compromises with drawbacks. If you can control ambient light, something like the H5000 is a great low-cost option. If you can't control ambient light, you have to pick the best compromise that works for you and live with the drawbacks.