replace Panny TC-P46S1 with Samsung F8500? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 01-16-2015, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
ojo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
replace Panny TC-P46S1 with Samsung F8500?

Hi folks!

I have a 2009 Panasonic TC-P46S1 - it's been a great TV, my first plasma, and has really showed me what awesome high-def TV can really be. It's great for TV, blu-rays, and PS4 gaming. I was thinking recently I might upgrade to something a little larger, I was hoping for a new Panasonic plasma, maybe 55". To my horror I have now discovered that Panasonic stopped making plasmas, and the VT60 I'd love to have can't be found any more. So I've read a bunch of reviews and posts here, and everyone seems to be saying the best plasma still around is the Samsung F8500. I can't find any 55" but there is a 51" available through Best Buy.

However, some of the reviews I've read suggest the F8500's just dont' measure up to the Panasonic VT's or ZT's. I've also read a bunch about buzzing problems with the 60" models (maybe less so with the 51" but not sure).

There's nothing wrong with my current Panasonic so I'm not in dire need of replacing, so I'm wondering what everyone's opinion is on whether not moving from my current Panasonic to a 51" F8500 would really be much of an upgrade.

What do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 01-16-2015, 11:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked: 235
I just replaced my S1 with an F8500, so here are my thoughts:

-F8500 is definitely blacker. There are far more image settings and enhacements possible, so it takes a bit longer to do a basic disc based calibration.

-F8500 also seems to have more image retention. Not permanent, and I think it has something to do with my tv only being a few hundred hours old, but worth mentioning.

-both buzzed slightly with very bright white screens (like a webpage)

is it a huge upgrade? no, I really don't think so. its definitely a better television and it has a lot more features, but its not some night and day difference like moving from an Element LCD to my Panasonic was several years ago.

Resetting the MLL on your Panasonic will make that television look brand new.

My HTPC front end set up
Integration for whole home ATSC, CableCARD, FM radio, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD, VHS control & capture, video games, and archived & streaming media playback
Mironto's Panasonic plasma black level restoration guide
Restore the initial MLL on a 2009 Panasonic plasma
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page