AVS Forum banner

Best Buy sold me a New PN60F8500 with 70 hours on it.

1K views 14 replies 12 participants last post by  Nearsighted 
#1 · (Edited)
updated

edited! they exchanged it

#2 ·
Best Buy sold me a New Samsung Plamsa PN60F8500 TV with 70 hours on it.... and two of the stand guides have been re-shrunk wrapped. My guess is somebody at the Best Buy warehouse did a Factory Reset in the Service menu and re-shrunk wrapped the stand guides because who ever returned it would have no reason to do so. They where obviously re-shrunk wrapped because they are missing the part number paperwork and it was a lousy shrink wrapping job. a heads up that Best Buy is Not to be trusted.

sounds like conspiracy theory

was it a sealed box?

if not..call your attorney and tell him you want to start litigation against Best Buy

you have far more to gain than the $1500 you paid for the TV...;)

Warren

This post has been deleted
This post has been deleted
#10 ·
Jumping in late on this thread--I can't speak about the F-series plasmas but I do know from personal experience that a (full) factory reset on the C-series plasma (or at least on my PN58C8000) will reset the number of hours used on it. I inadvertently did a factory reset on mine in order to see if doing so might get rid of the pink banding--upon doing the reset and then going back into the service menu I discovered that the hours run was showing "---" instead of a number (if my memory serves me correctly I believe it had ~5000 hours on it prior to my having performed a factory reset).

My point is that if someone had done a factory reset to cover up something yet try to sell it as new, I don't think that he would have gone through all that trouble to then put 70 hours on it.

#11 ·
OP, when I bought my "brand new" ZT60 here in Canada I took it home and set it up. I was plugging in all the chords at the back when I noticed that the tv had been mounted on its stand before.

I checked the hours and sure enough it showed as 5 hours. The packaging was missing a few key items which led me to believe I also bought a return. Needless to say I was pretty choked.

Anyways I talked to the manager, and got an extra 10% and additional 3 years warranty. I argued that they sold me a used tv and as such I should pay the price of a lightly used ZT60. Talk to the manager and document everything!!

#14 ·
Had the same thing happen to me. Brought a new one from Best Buy. They tried to pass off a used one as new. April 2014 build date and 12 hours. It is over in the pricing thread if you want to read about it. Long story shorter, The box was missing one of the black lock tabs. They opened it in front of me. No shrink wrap on the stand. Pen marks on back of the price guide sticker, etc. Missing one of the brackets and screws that attached the tv to the base. So they just call BB for a solution and leave the TV with me as I refused to sign and they just put a note that I can return. Call the distribution center get told we are working on it, will contact the store that it shipped from, blah blah get run around for 4 days. Contact the store manger that sold it to me by email. No response. File complaint with attorney general. Finally get a call. Trying to get me a replacement, none in their system because discontinued set. They offer of some kind of discount, but because I got it for $1500 on sale and written promise of 10% mover coupon within 30 days, I don't want to jeopardize my $1350 sale. Finally, they found a new one and sent it to me. It was a November 2014 build date and 0 hours and no signs of use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.