My Samsung PN50B860 malfunctioning - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 01-19-2015, 06:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question My Samsung PN50B860 malfunctioning

This great plasma has served me well for years now and it's still got plenty of life left, the picture's great and there's no sign of fading yet.

Unfortunately, I am now running into a very annoying issue. The TV sensor or something like it appears to be malfunctioning and not responding. I can't even turn it off or perform any other operations on the TV itself, let alone the remote. The sensor light flashes irregularly when this happens and the volume display inexplicably starts showing up on the screen on its own. It ramps up and then it gets to the point where the only way to get rid of the problem is to simply unplug it for a bit and then plug it back in. It's been happening more and more often.

I hope someone out there knows of a solution to this nagging problem. I'd hate to have to lug the thing to a repair shop or buy a new mainboard and put it in myself (assuming I can even find one). I don't mind those options, inconvenient as they are. The absolute worst thing is to have to pony up for a new TV when my fiancee and I are trying to save up for a house.

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-24-2015, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gking11 View Post
The sensor light flashes irregularly when this happens and the volume display inexplicably starts showing up on the screen on its own. It ramps up and then it gets to the point where the only way to get rid of the problem is to simply unplug it for a bit and then plug it back in. It's been happening more and more often.
Were you ever able to find a solution for this problem? My TV (same model) has just started exhibiting the same issue. More than just adjusting the volume (which it does), mine also switches inputs and just seems to start randomly changing settings. The remote becomes useless and the power button on the TV itself stops working.
post #3 of 4 Old 07-24-2015, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by phileelacs View Post
Were you ever able to find a solution for this problem? My TV (same model) has just started exhibiting the same issue. More than just adjusting the volume (which it does), mine also switches inputs and just seems to start randomly changing settings. The remote becomes useless and the power button on the TV itself stops working.
As a matter of fact, I did! It's a work-around, but it works. I found the solution here, actually, let me see if I can hunt it down again...ah, found it. A minor drawback (at least for me) is that I have to change the input back to my cable box every time I turn it on, but that's a nitpick I'm willing to live with to extend the life of my kickin' Samsung plasma!

Note on inputting in the service menu code on your remote, do it quickly or it won't register (took me a few tries).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericupson View Post
I have been putting up with my TV changing inputs on its own for way too long. The red light on the front of the tv keeps flashing like I'm using the remote. I've found this to be temperature related (ie worse on hotter days). I put a computer case fan behind the vents of where the touch sensitive buttons are located and have found this to help (but by no means a permanent fix). The TV could go months without issues. Then all of a sudden it's unwatchable as nothing I do prevents it from switching sources repeatedly. I attempted to remove the back of the TV and disconnect the touch panel control board wire plug, but that prevented the TV from turning on since it also disables the IR receiver. I finally stumbled across a workaround.

To fix this, I disabled the front panel buttons from the hotel options in the service menu. The remote will still work, but the front buttons on the bezel will no longer function.

To Enter the Service Menu (SM):
Turn off TV
On the remote press
Power on

From the Service Menu:
Choose "Control" menu
Choose "Hotel Option"
Choose Hotel Mode "ON"
Choose PANEL BUTTON LOCK "Lock"

That's it! Easy! Now my TV does not randomly cycle through source inputs on its own. I can enjoy the amazing blacks and avoid buying another TV (that is until 4k goes mainstream).

Important note:
1) You can brick your TV in the Service Menu. Do not change anything beyond the above.
2) Your TV picture settings might be lost when entering the SM. You might want to write everything down before you enter the SM.

My model: PN58B860 - PN58B860Y2FXZA
Good luck!
post #4 of 4 Old Today, 09:50 AM

Thanks for the info. But try as I might, I can't get the TV to enter the service menu. When you said you had to do it quickly, how quickly do you mean?
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
malfunction , plasma , PN50B850 , pn50b860 , Samsung
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page