LG 60PB5600 Panel Light setting - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-20-2015, 08:53 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
LG 60PB5600 Panel Light setting

Hi all,

Just picked up one of these. By default in 'Cinema' and 'Expert' modes the Panel Light is set at 90 (and 100 for all other picture modes). It also seems to behave differently depending on the picture setting. With Cinema, if I increase it to 100 overall luminance, as expected, increases. In Expert mode increasing it to 100 also increases overall luminance, but also appeared to do something funny to the contrast in some scenes (I guess the best way to describe it would be to say the contrast in some areas reduced and became flatter).

My old LG plasma does not have a Panel Light setting, and I thought that this setting was an LCD (backlight) thing and plasma always output at max (100). Just wondered if anyone knew what the Panel Light's optimal setting is and why LG chose 90 as the default for everything except Vivid, Standard and Game? What would a professional calibrator set the Panel Light to?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeries View Post
Hi all,

Just picked up one of these. By default in 'Cinema' and 'Expert' modes the Panel Light is set at 90 (and 100 for all other picture modes). It also seems to behave differently depending on the picture setting. With Cinema, if I increase it to 100 overall luminance, as expected, increases. In Expert mode increasing it to 100 also increases overall luminance, but also appeared to do something funny to the contrast in some scenes (I guess the best way to describe it would be to say the contrast in some areas reduced and became flatter).

My old LG plasma does not have a Panel Light setting, and I thought that this setting was an LCD (backlight) thing and plasma always output at max (100). Just wondered if anyone knew what the Panel Light's optimal setting is and why LG chose 90 as the default for everything except Vivid, Standard and Game? What would a professional calibrator set the Panel Light to?

It is going to vary depending on your viewing environment. Dave in Green describes the panel light setting as kind of a ABL limiter. The higher the panel output, the more aggressive ABL. If you check the LG thread, you should see some posts. Hope this helps.
iSeries likes this.
post #3 of 8 Old 04-05-2015, 06:20 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Panel Light option is to simulate lcd back light. Just leave it on maximum 100 and then calibrate and adjust your TV with the other controls.
post #4 of 8 Old 04-12-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi guys, I'm not able to find the Pictures Wizzard III in the menu option. It is a feature of the 60PB5600 ?
On the LG website it is specify as a feature of this model

Regards
post #5 of 8 Old 04-15-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I have a 5600 and this set doesn't have the picture wizard. The manual states it does and also states there are more than 1 HDMI input. These are both incorrect. There is only 1 HDMI input on this set. I'm not sure if it is just the Canadian user manuals that are incorrect or any manual regardless of the country of purchase.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 07:07 AM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by monty4 View Post
I have a 5600 and this set doesn't have the picture wizard. The manual states it does and also states there are more than 1 HDMI input. These are both incorrect. There is only 1 HDMI input on this set. I'm not sure if it is just the Canadian user manuals that are incorrect or any manual regardless of the country of purchase.
The U.S. manual is incorrect also. 5600 doesnt have picture wizard. I wish there was more adjustments to black level, without opening up TV and adjusting SetUP/Down. The 5600 I got, has terrible black level. Watching a dark movie, there is just not enough depth to the picture. I decided to return TV and get something else, even if it is LCD.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2015, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I was pretty disappointed myself. I found the cinema setting to be both too bright and too dark! Shadows were too bright, but anything above mid-tone was compressed and dull. However making these settings made a world of difference and it looks great now:

Expert 1
Panel light 100
Contrast 88
Brightness 51
Colour 60
Gamma 2.4
All other settings default
post #8 of 8 Old Today, 07:23 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Along with the 5600 I also have a 3 yr old 720 42 inch LG plasma. The blacks seem slightly better on that tv but everything else is better on the 5600. Since the 5600 doesn't have the Picture Wizard, I used the Disney WOW blue ray to set up the 5600 whereas the 42 has the picture wizard and I used it to set it up. The picture on the 5600 was night and day after using the Disney blue ray to set it up. I'm enjoying the 5600 more every day now.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page