AVS Forum banner

Samsung SEK2000 Evol Kit & F8500

8K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Luckie123 
#1 ·
I haven't been able to find much in the way of rave reviews for the addition of the SEK2000 Evolution Kit to the F8500 Plasma TV. From what I've read thus far any improvements are very minimal and seem hardly worth the $250 expense. Does anyone have a different take on this? I'd love to get and install it if it were going to blow me away with new enhancements, but it sounds like most of the upgrades were already included in the F8500 or its FW update of not too long ago.

#4 ·
I am a fan of the Smart Hub features, but I don't see a marked improvement over what already comes with the F8500. 5 panel Smart screen, already there, voice control, already there etc. are ther any Smart features the the Evolution Kit has that the PHF8500 doesn't? Am I missing something?

#7 ·
Will there be a SEK-3000 Evo Kit? Samsung is changing their operating system and an upgrade to that OS won't be available on older TVs. There's an article on cnet CES 2015 with the heading; "Samsung's simpler, smarter Tizen a no-show for most older TVs." Tizen the new Samsung OS will be in the newer Evo Kits and is not compatible with any TV earlier than the 2014 "H" series models and newer.

#14 ·
I've done some additional research and I believe the SEK-2000 Evolution Kit is not a good investment for the F8500 TVs. Not at any price. It simply does not provide enough enhancement. I'm pleased with my PNF8500. Considering Samsung will not be releasing any more upgrades for TVs older than 2014 I'll have to be satisfied with what I've got. That is at least until I want to lay out big bucks for whatever I consider to be better than Plasma.

#15 ·
I thought Samsung 'guaranteed' 5yrs of support with the evo kits? we should be getting them up to 2018...

either way, 250bux gets you a decent htpc, if you upgrade twice, 500 get's you a darn good htpc. I don't think 250 for an evo kit is even a close decision.

Reactions: Luckie123
#16 ·
I also remember them saying evo kits would be backward compatible for 5 years. They will probably get around it by calling it something else. I'm sure someone will try suing them saying they bought their tv for that reason which could be a valid argument for at least a few people.

#17 ·
Does anyone know if the the evo kit plugs in the same way on the 2014 line of tv's as it does for the 2012/13 lines? Seems like they would keep it the same so they could use the same parts. If that's the case I don't see why the new evo kit wouldn't work since it contains all the processing guts and operating system.

#18 ·
As far as I know the most recent Evolution Kits were for 2012 and 2013 TVs. They are the SEK-2000 and SEK-2500U. The latter being for UHD TVs. Upgrades for 2014 TVs will be entirely different and include the new operating system called Tizen. Tizen is not compatible with Samsung TVs made before 2014. It would be like trying to put Apples Yosemite OS on an early 2000s MacBook. It just isn't compatible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.