Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #1 of 31 Old Yesterday, 11:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Keep Kuro or go new?

I recently got a really good deal on a used 60" Kuro and I am blown away by the picture. However being used (12,500 hrs) I am a bit scared. I considered flipping it for a small profit and getting something new which would be an LED unfortunately. I hate the off center viewing issues. There's a great deal on 55" Sony W800b, that looks pretty good in person , and of course would be brand new.
I much prefer plasma and am very sad to see it go. OLED will likely be in my future once prices come down over next couple years. My most recent was a 50" LG PZ950, and I have been quite pleased with it but wanted bigger.
Just looking for opinions here, I know that its ultimately my decision. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old Yesterday, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Flip and go projector for dedicated theater? I'm thinking of doing that with my f8500
cardoski likes this.
post #3 of 31 Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by gb33 View Post
I recently got a really good deal on a used 60" Kuro and I am blown away by the picture. However being used (12,500 hrs) I am a bit scared. I considered flipping it for a small profit and getting something new which would be an LED unfortunately. I hate the off center viewing issues. There's a great deal on 55" Sony W800b, that looks pretty good in person , and of course would be brand new.
I much prefer plasma and am very sad to see it go. OLED will likely be in my future once prices come down over next couple years. My most recent was a 50" LG PZ950, and I have been quite pleased with it but wanted bigger.

keep it and just watch it. it's only tv afterall =) you have inherent issues w/ new and older sets alike. if you've got a good one, enjoy.

shark -
post #4 of 31 Old Yesterday, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Keep the kuro if you watch in the semi/dark on a regular basis..Check out the kuro in a dark room. The kuro will look really nice when pro-calibrated.
post #5 of 31 Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

I would love to go projector, but this isn't a room for that. The Kuro is really great looking , especially considering the age. And that's really what my only fear about it is. Although I only paid $550 for it, I'd still hate for it to die soon. Not to mention wife would be pissed. Sony gets good reviews and has advantage of being smart, thin, "all screen" and of course new. But it's an led. DAMMIT!
post #6 of 31 Old Yesterday, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
I retired my 6 year old Kuro, with about 15000 - 16000 hours on it, and replaced it with an F8500.

However, FWIW, I did that ONLY because plasma was going to be phased out and I am so OCD that I wanted an "insurance policy" in the house should the Kuro actually stop working. Which I did not actually expect. If I had confidence that plasma would continue, I would have kept riding that Kuro for a long time longer. Those things were built like tanks, amazing build quality. My wife and I just about killed ourselves carrying the 50" Kuro down to the basement (where it is being kept in case the F8500 flakes out), but we had no trouble mounting the feather-light 64" F8500 on the wall.

I have absolutely no confidence that the television manufacturers won't flush OLED down the drain. I am mentally prepared for an OLED-less future, where they will be making nothing but the crappiest possible LEDs at the lowest possible build cost. I think it's important not to make any assumptions about OLED when deciding what display to keep or flip.
post #7 of 31 Old Yesterday, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked: 99
I agree with shadowspawn on OLED. I'm not convinced it will arrive like we want it to. It wouldn't be the first time a superior technology 'lost'.

Having said that since you already have the Kuro you might as well ride it until it dies. LED TVs can only improve in the meantime...why the need to buy one now? That Kuro is going to blow away anything you can get for the same price. And I think the ship has sailed on the few remaining modern plasmas....I could probably get a F5300 if I hunted for one..maybe a H5000 but that's about it and neither is going to touch that Kuro either. And frankly I wouldn't be surprised if that Kuro is still kicking when our modern plasmas are dead. The build quality on my F8500 is pathetic compared to the used 5020FD I picked up recently.
post #8 of 31 Old Yesterday, 02:30 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Unless you have money coming out the wazoo, I'd keep the Pio' 'till it drops. I'm an old guy and have the means to indulge in this hobby. Four months ago I got excited about OLED and replaced my beloved Pio' 141 monitor with the LG OLED 9300. Always have my sets ISF calibrated. The LG has great PQ, but the 55" size was too small for my room. Would have liked to get LG's 77" OLED UHD set. But lack of available and projected price puts it well off into the future. Two months after getting the LG I bought a Sammy 75" 8550 UHD and sent the LG to a bedroom.

The Samsung is a very good set. Not quit great but pretty good. Size makes it an acceptable set to live with until my dream set becomes available. If I had it to do over again I'd still have my 60" Pioneer Signature Kuro Monitor. My grandson's family is enjoying it now.

Last edited by elphillips; Yesterday at 04:26 PM.
post #9 of 31 Old Yesterday, 02:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
I retired my 6 year old Kuro, with about 15000 - 16000 hours on it, and replaced it with an F8500.

However, FWIW, I did that ONLY because plasma was going to be phased out and I am so OCD that I wanted an "insurance policy" in the house should the Kuro actually stop working. Which I did not actually expect. If I had confidence that plasma would continue, I would have kept riding that Kuro for a long time longer. Those things were built like tanks, amazing build quality. My wife and I just about killed ourselves carrying the 50" Kuro down to the basement (where it is being kept in case the F8500 flakes out), but we had no trouble mounting the feather-light 64" F8500 on the wall.

I have absolutely no confidence that the television manufacturers won't flush OLED down the drain. I am mentally prepared for an OLED-less future, where they will be making nothing but the crappiest possible LEDs at the lowest possible build cost. I think it's important not to make any assumptions about OLED when deciding what display to keep or flip.
Agreed shadow. I know my trusted source here, Ken, is really high on OLED but I'm not sold if it will ever match the price/performance ratio for the general public.

As for the kuro for the op, Keep it. If it aint broke don't worry about it.
post #10 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:08 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 25
To echo most of the responses, I would keep running it.

I am a plasma guy as well and much prefer them to the other technologies; have been using a 60" LG in the family room and a 42" LG in the bedroom (both purchased new in 2009). Last fall, a 60" Kuro popped up on Craigslist with an asking price of $325. We agreed to $275 and I was off to see it the next day. After checking it out (pristine condition and 8800 hours), I reached for my cash and found out my wife had taken a fifty from my stack of bills. The guy had somewhere to be and said $225 would be close enough, then threw in a 20' HDMI cable and a set of Logitech speakers as well. He was happy to recoup some cash to fund his 'upgrade' to a 50" Panasonic LED Smart TV; that made two of us.
post #11 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Smith View Post

I am a plasma guy as well and much prefer them to the other technologies; have been using a 60" LG in the family room and a 42" LG in the bedroom (both purchased new in 2009). Last fall, a 60" Kuro popped up on Craigslist with an asking price of $325. We agreed to $275 and I was off to see it the next day. After checking it out (pristine condition and 8800 hours), I reached for my cash and found out my wife had taken a fifty from my stack of bills. The guy had somewhere to be and said $225 would be close enough, then threw in a 20' HDMI cable and a set of Logitech speakers as well. He was happy to recoup some cash to fund his 'upgrade' to a 50" Panasonic LED Smart TV; that made two of us.
I officially hate you now.
Aaron Smith likes this.
post #12 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
I would love to go projector, but this isn't a room for that. The Kuro is really great looking , especially considering the age. And that's really what my only fear about it is. Although I only paid $550 for it, I'd still hate for it to die soon. Not to mention wife would be pissed. Sony gets good reviews and has advantage of being smart, thin, "all screen" and of course new. But it's an led. DAMMIT!
Put that Sony W800B on Standard picture mode, go into the motion settings and switch it to Impulse. People don't really know about this, but it will make your Sony LED look more like a proper plasma than most plasmas. I know it says I'm a "Newbie" member but I urge you to trust me on this. Try it at the store if you can get your hands on a remote or if you can load the remote codes on your phone. It's going to look awful in the store due to the ambient light but you'll at least see where I'm going with this. The best thing you can do to test Impulse before you decide whether to buy is to go to Best Buy, go into Magnolia, flip off the lights and try Impulse mode in the dark on the X900B (the 850 doesn't have this mode and the 950 is exposed to more light due to its location... by the way you may want to turn off the X850B underneath it so the brightness doesn't ruin your test).

I am a ZT60 owner with nothing but respect for the Kuro. Having worked with many Panasonic plasmas and Sony LEDs (I don't think I should say what I do, but I don't work for a retailer), IMHO Sony LED is the law since Panasonic stopped making plasma. The X900B and X950B, if set up correctly, will take my ZT60 head-on without the drawbacks of plasma (heat, image retention, etc.). Just my two cents. Please keep in mind that I'm talking about picture here, Impulse won't solve your off-angle viewing issue but if you're going to make this purchase you should at least give the mode a shot.

If I were you though, I would hang on to the Kuro until it dies if you're happy with it. No current TV is going to handle the off-angle viewing like your plasma. Kill the Kuro slowly and hopefully by then something you can love will have materialized.

Last edited by PrincessKenny; Yesterday at 03:34 PM.
post #13 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 77
Quote:

what model was that

post #14 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:34 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I officially hate you now.
Don't be a hater AMartin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigyboy View Post
what model was that
It's an 8G 6010FD.
post #15 of 31 Old Yesterday, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Quote:
Don't be a hater AMartin!

It's an 8G 6010FD.
shame it wasn't a 9 g

post #16 of 31 Old Yesterday, 04:09 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah, I was pretty irritated...really had to question myself as to if $225 was a good deal or not...
craigyboy likes this.
post #17 of 31 Old Yesterday, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Holy Crap!! And I was proud of my $550 Kuro (150fd) find! Wow! Good for you.
Aaron Smith likes this.
post #18 of 31 Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm PrincessKenny (great name) that is some interesting information. It almost sounds like you're a Sony rep. Especially with knowing the layout of Sony's sets at Magnolia. Regardless, thanks for the input. I am hard pressed to believe that it can match a Panasonic ZT, but I've never seen it in the set up you mention. I may take a look.
post #19 of 31 Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Those things were built like tanks, amazing build quality. My wife and I just about killed ourselves carrying the 50" Kuro down to the basement (where it is being kept in case the F8500 flakes out), but we had no trouble mounting the feather-light 64" F8500 on the wall .
I hear ya! I had to go buy a new mount (800*600 Vesa not common) and I've finished adding a new floor joist, header, and hurricane bolts to the house in preparation of mounting it. Plan to have a buddy over tonight to hang it. I probably won't sleep well as I keep waiting for the giant crash!

Last edited by gb33; Yesterday at 04:58 PM.
post #20 of 31 Old Yesterday, 05:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
I have absolutely no confidence that the television manufacturers won't flush OLED down the drain. I am mentally prepared for an OLED-less future
Based on what? LG has been investing in OLED more and more, and the prices are steadily coming down.

True, the general public couldn't care less yet, but OLED stands what I believe to be a very likely chance of having manufacturing costs descend below where LCDs have reached. I have watched LCD technology carefully from the horrendous monochromatic days and I have to say that LCD's are absurdly complicated creatures; I truly am amazed that they work at all.

It reminds me a little of how creating a CD started off more expensive than creating a cassette tape, but quickly plummeted to cheaper, though I'll admit that analogy is stretching things a tad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMartin56 View Post
I agree with shadowspawn on OLED. I'm not convinced it will arrive like we want it to. It wouldn't be the first time a superior technology 'lost'.
Let's focus on the display industry for a second.

Is this like Crystal LED? No.
Is this like SED? No.
Is this like FED? No.
Is this like _________? (<------fill in the gap and tell me what it's like, and don't say "HD DVD", because that's no where close, and neither is plasma for that matter.)

OLED TV is shipping, albeit in modest numbers, but it's shipping for over a year now; potentially two depending upon what stake in the sand you use.

Could you be correct? Sure, I suppose, but I think it's far more likely that you're a little too pessimistic.

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"
post #21 of 31 Old Yesterday, 05:15 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked: 534
Quote:
I recently got a really good deal on a used 60&quot; Kuro and I am blown away by the picture. However being used (12,500 hrs) I am a bit scared. I considered flipping it for a small profit and getting something new which would be an LED unfortunately. I hate the off center viewing issues. There's a great deal on 55&quot; Sony W800b, that looks pretty good in person , and of course would be brand new. I much prefer plasma and am very sad to see it go. OLED will likely be in my future once prices come down over next couple years. My most recent was a 50&quot; LG PZ950, and I have been quite pleased with it but wanted bigger. Just looking for opinions here, I know that its ultimately my decision. Thanks.
I'd keep the Kuro.

I bought a 55W800B a month ago to replace my Panny 55ST60 my man-room (which will soon be moved to the darker den for movie watching). I still have both TVs in the same room mirroring my sources via a 1x2 HDMI Splitter, and i have been tweaking the W800B but i cannot get it to look quite as good as my ST60. It's VA panel has pretty good black levels for an LCD TV, but if i move a few places off-center the picture starts to get washed out and it quickly loses contrast. The ST60 still has a considerably better contrast ratio and better shadow detail. I like the W800B, but the ST60 does look better.

I posted about it here:

OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #22 of 31 Old Yesterday, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 39
[QUOTE=tgm1024;31265345]Based on what?
[QUOTE]

All of their behavior for the last couple of years.

Take a step back, and really look at what's been happening in the R&D investments across all manufacturers in recent history.

All of them, not just what LG claims to have been doing.

Does that make you want to do the Happy Dance?
post #23 of 31 Old Yesterday, 05:26 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
(DO NOT GET RID OF YOUR KURO PANEL)

Hi Guys,

I recently forked out a fairly large amount of money to buy a Sony Bravia 4K KD-79X9000B TV.

I have replaced a Pioneer Kuro 50" 08 model for the Bravia...very sad Pioneer closed down my Kuro has been superb, I wanted a bigger screen is why she is sitting on the sidelines now.

Anyway, reason for posting, new telly has approx 200hrs on it, we recently had the Asia World Cup soccer in Australia and it was shown in full 1080 that looked incredible on the sony.

The issue I have is, when they showed close ups of players on the pitch, and there was a large area of the screen showing a rich green grass colour I noticed on the right side of approx 1/4 of the screen several vertical lines from top to bottom, like streaks you seen when a fax or printer is running out of ink, has anyone else had this happen?
post #24 of 31 Old Yesterday, 05:59 PM

Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Can't add much to the answers you got here : Streaks in Sony 79" Bravia 4K 79X9000B
post #25 of 31 Old Yesterday, 06:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 876 Post(s)
Liked: 1049
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgm1024 View Post
Based on what?
Quote:
All of their behavior for the last couple of years.
"ALL" of their behavior? That's a pretty large domain. Please narrow it down. Part of their "behavior" was to come up with a viable way of making OLED.....that wasn't doable by anyone else.

Quote:
Take a step back, and really look at what's been happening in the R&D investments across all manufacturers in recent history.

All of them, not just what LG claims to have been doing.

Does that make you want to do the Happy Dance?
Again, you're going to have to skip past these broad and vague references and spell out what you're talking about. What has been "happening in the R&D investments across all manufacturers" that matters specific to this conversation?

"By Grabthar's hammer, by the suns of Warvan, you shall be avenged!"
post #26 of 31 Old Yesterday, 07:17 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 292 Post(s)
Liked: 493
Quote:
I recently got a really good deal on a used 60&quot; Kuro and I am blown away by the picture. However being used (12,500 hrs) I am a bit scared. I considered flipping it for a small profit and getting something new which would be an LED unfortunately. I hate the off center viewing issues. There's a great deal on 55&quot; Sony W800b, that looks pretty good in person , and of course would be brand new.
I much prefer plasma and am very sad to see it go. OLED will likely be in my future once prices come down over next couple years. My most recent was a 50&quot; LG PZ950, and I have been quite pleased with it but wanted bigger.
Keep the Kuro.

post #27 of 31 Old Yesterday, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessKenny View Post
Put that Sony W800B on Standard picture mode, go into the motion settings and switch it to Impulse. People don't really know about this, but it will make your Sony LED look more like a proper plasma than most plasmas. I know it says I'm a "Newbie" member but I urge you to trust me on this. Try it at the store if you can get your hands on a remote or if you can load the remote codes on your phone. It's going to look awful in the store due to the ambient light but you'll at least see where I'm going with this. The best thing you can do to test Impulse before you decide whether to buy is to go to Best Buy, go into Magnolia, flip off the lights and try Impulse mode in the dark on the X900B (the 850 doesn't have this mode and the 950 is exposed to more light due to its location... by the way you may want to turn off the X850B underneath it so the brightness doesn't ruin your test).

I am a ZT60 owner with nothing but respect for the Kuro. Having worked with many Panasonic plasmas and Sony LEDs (I don't think I should say what I do, but I don't work for a retailer), IMHO Sony LED is the law since Panasonic stopped making plasma. The X900B and X950B, if set up correctly, will take my ZT60 head-on without the drawbacks of plasma (heat, image retention, etc.). Just my two cents.
Interesting. I've been dying to try Sony's Impulse setting because I like the science behind it and I like Motionflow on Clear with my NX720 even though there is a hint of SOE with it engaged.
post #28 of 31 Old Today, 10:09 AM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

you paid $550 for it? Come on are you really worried about it "dying" for that price? Jeez
post #29 of 31 Old Today, 11:01 AM

Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Keep the Kuro!
post #30 of 31 Old Today, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdogg93 View Post
Quote:

you paid $550 for it? Come on are you really worried about it "dying" for that price? Jeez
Even the wealthy don't enjoy throwing money away. Well, the smart and wealthy anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays