Pn60f5300 for dummies... Noob questions - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By *grelvis*
post #1 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Pn60f5300 for dummies... Noob questions

Hi all, I have been reading a lot the past few days and only confused further. Conflicting information on break in

During breakin do I need to run lower contrast, brightness, etc settings than the "final" calibrated settings?

Most threads say to use screen fit, but in screen fit the pixel orbitor is off.

How do I reset the standard color settings. Aka factory reset?

Is there a way to check hours?

I know these questions have been answered a thousand times, but appreciate input.

I will continue to keep reading and researching

Trying to do the best breakin I can with ~ 72 hours until Super Bowl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 02:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Not sure what you mean by final calibrated settings. Put it in movie mode. Maybe drop the contrast and cell light by a few ticks if you want to be paranoid.

Use 16:9 during break in but yes after that Screen Fit is better.

Your color question doesn't make sense to me. Reset? Put the TV on Warm 1 for now. Color Space on Auto is going to be accurate enough if you don't intend to calibrate.

I believe the F5300 is the same as the F8500. Quickly press Mute 7 3 7 Enter (not all at once but within a few seconds of each other) on the remote. MRT shows panel hours. Turn off the set to remove the menu.

To break it in run full screen content without logos. Avoid excessive graphics or letterboxes until you get a hundred or so hours on the panel. Otherwise enjoy. It just important to mix content up a bit for 100 hours or so.

Living room: Sony KDL-60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Super Zero w/ NHT Ten Subwoofer, Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray.
Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4 Sound Bar, Sony BDP-S5100 Blu-ray.
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.

Last edited by AMartin56; 01-29-2015 at 03:01 PM.
post #3 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 PM
AVS Special Member

One more thing... I have seen a MRT as high as 12 on a brand new set so don't freak out if it seems a but high unless it was sold as new and is CRAZY high. Lowest I've seen right out of the gate is 2.

Living room: Sony KDL-60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Super Zero w/ NHT Ten Subwoofer, Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Blu-ray.
post #4 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 03:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Oh and obviously you don't have 100 hours until the Super Bowl and it will be full of on screen logos etc. But it will be okay...Samsung Plasmas really need to be abused to develop long term IR in my experience. Just be nice to it between now and then and just enjoy the game otherwise.

post #5 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

regarding settings, what I mean is if you look as the 8500 owners thread, the 4th post has info and reduces contrast, brightness, etc. for breakin - and what I mean by final settings are the suggested setting from Will in the 5300 calibration thread, and other calibration results which usually have contrast at 95 or 100.

One other question, how do I get an RCA audio out? Do they make converters from the optical audio output? I have a Bose speaker system that uses a single set of RCA inputs, so each time I switch video source I have to go over to the Bose and unplug the previous source and plug in the RCA for new one. For example switching from Dish to BluRay player. surely there has to be a better way?
post #6 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 03:11 PM
AVS Special Member

You can try their settings...although they may not provide the best results on YOUR set. Lower their contrast and cell light settings by a few ticks until the game. Run it at what you like best for the game.

No idea on the audio.

post #7 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 04:52 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 28
For break-in, I just ran some jpegs stuck on a USB drive, looped as a slide show. I downloaded them from a link here somewhere, I'm sure a quick google search will find it. It was just varying colors plus some black and white. I would say don't stress a break-in process too much, you won't hurt the TV, and you will find some knowledgeable folks that say don't bother with it at all. In other words - anything you do (within reason) or don't do isn't a big deal. Even just "Normal" TV (no scrolling stock ticker prices or channel logos) should be fine too.

Calibration - do you have an A or B set? There's a user here Orion2001 that has a good set of calibration parameters for B models in a post linked in his signature. There are calibration discs that can help you dial things in perfectly but they are a good start.

Generally agreed on everything AMartin56 said above.

Also no idea on the audio, I have a receiver with an optical input. You probably love the Bose, and don't want to blow money for no reason, but any chance it's time for something new and the Bose can see new use in another room somehow?
post #8 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 06:22 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello forum.
I am a long time owner of a Panasonic TH-50PX600U that still performing incredibly. Due to the fact that Samsung is now discontinuing its Plasma line along with the other companies who make them, we decided to buy another Plasma before it was too late. We missed out on the last Pannies of which I am sick about, as they were the best Plasma's ever made ( to some experts opinions.)

So now we own a new Samsung Pn60f5300 that we bought from HHGREGG 2 days ago on sale for $740.00 including tax.
I will be moving the old 50" Panasonic to a bedroom and will be wall mounting the new Samsung in the living room.
To be honest I am almost hesitant to swap the old Panasonic as the picture is gorgeous to this day. I went in and set it up using someones detailed settings on a Panasonic forum back when we purchased the set, which I think was in 2007. Everyone who visits out home think its the best picture they have ever seen and ask where they could get one. They are shocked to find out its an OLD PLASMA television set.

Back to the reason I am posting. Since the Pannie is getting up there in age, and I wanted a bigger screen, and the need to get a Plasme before they are GONE forever we bought this Samsung as a decent price. So I would like to know some basically easy things about this television.

First. Where do I find if I have the "A" or the "B" version? Yea I know its a dumb question but I still need to know so....

Second, I will be watching the Super Bowl on the old Pannie so I won't be mounting the new Samsung until Monday. Once I turn it on show I set it to anything specific? I read about this 100 hour break in thing so should I put it on Apple TV and let it run something like Dexter for a couple days?

Then I assume I would need to get a download to do a detailed setup versus the standard setup using the regular settings menu? I hope you are all kind to this Samsung Newbie?

Last thing. Am I really upgrading my picture with this Samsung versus the older Pannie?
post #9 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool59 View Post
First. Where do I find if I have the "A" or the "B" version? Yea I know its a dumb question but I still need to know so....

Second, I will be watching the Super Bowl on the old Pannie so I won't be mounting the new Samsung until Monday. Once I turn it on show I set it to anything specific? I read about this 100 hour break in thing so should I put it on Apple TV and let it run something like Dexter for a couple days?

Then I assume I would need to get a download to do a detailed setup versus the standard setup using the regular settings menu? I hope you are all kind to this Samsung Newbie?

Last thing. Am I really upgrading my picture with this Samsung versus the older Pannie?
If it's new, it's almost certainly the B version. The part number itself should be on a sticker on the box and on the TV itself. Right after the 5300, you'll see a string of letters, the first of which will tell you. B's are favored, but A's are great too so don't worry either way.

Break it in however you like, I used jpg's that were solid colors, they rotated through a slide show for a few days non stop. Anything you do will be fine, including doing nothing special at all (just be conscious that what you watch changes up once in a while.

There's a thread here, should be on the 1st or 2nd page, specifically dedicated to the 5300 calibration. If it's a B, start here: Samsung PN60F5300 calibration settings? and if it's an A just go to the start of the thread. These settings will be a great start. Look around for the more detailed service menu settings but you may want to avoid them unless you have the correct equipment. After inputting the basic settings linked, you may want to dial it in for your set (it won't change much) with either the AVS disc downloadable here for free or buy a disc such as the Disney WOW disc. While you're at it calibrate your old set too, I'm sure it's beautiful but you may find the old settings need to be revised a little due to age. It's how my Panasonic behaved.

Can't compare the sets, my Panasonic is different than yours and I've also never had the 2 side by side.
oldschool59 likes this.
post #10 of 17 Old 01-29-2015, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *grelvis* View Post
If it's new, it's almost certainly the B version. The part number itself should be on a sticker on the box and on the TV itself. Right after the 5300, you'll see a string of letters, the first of which will tell you. B's are favored, but A's are great too so don't worry either way.

Break it in however you like, I used jpg's that were solid colors, they rotated through a slide show for a few days non stop. Anything you do will be fine, including doing nothing special at all (just be conscious that what you watch changes up once in a while.

There's a thread here, should be on the 1st or 2nd page, specifically dedicated to the 5300 calibration. If it's a B, start here: (removed) and if it's an A just go to the start of the thread. These settings will be a great start. Look around for the more detailed service menu settings but you may want to avoid them unless you have the correct equipment. After inputting the basic settings linked, you may want to dial it in for your set (it won't change much) with either the AVS disc downloadable here for free or buy a disc such as the Disney WOW disc. While you're at it calibrate your old set too, I'm sure it's beautiful but you may find the old settings need to be revised a little due to age. It's how my Panasonic behaved.

Can't compare the sets, my Panasonic is different than yours and I've also never had the 2 side by side.
Thanks for the info. I think I will load a ton of pictures on a flash drive and let it run for a couple days.

I have the B version, I just looked at the sticker on the side and it is Model# PN60F5300BF

I will look for the Disney WOW on eBay and see how much they are.

Thanks again
post #11 of 17 Old 01-30-2015, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *grelvis* View Post
For break-in, I just ran some jpegs stuck on a USB drive, looped as a slide show. I downloaded them from a link here somewhere, I'm sure a quick google search will find it. It was just varying colors plus some black and white. I would say don't stress a break-in process too much, you won't hurt the TV, and you will find some knowledgeable folks that say don't bother with it at all. In other words - anything you do (within reason) or don't do isn't a big deal. Even just "Normal" TV (no scrolling stock ticker prices or channel logos) should be fine too.

Calibration - do you have an A or B set? There's a user here Orion2001 that has a good set of calibration parameters for B models in a post linked in his signature. There are calibration discs that can help you dial things in perfectly but they are a good start.

Generally agreed on everything AMartin56 said above.

Also no idea on the audio, I have a receiver with an optical input. You probably love the Bose, and don't want to blow money for no reason, but any chance it's time for something new and the Bose can see new use in another room somehow?
thanks to everyone on the help, I just kinda started freaking out when I first got it home yesterday. watched HBO and cinemax for a while then put on slides when I went to bed and work today. I have Disney WOW on order.

Its a B model, Nov 2014 date.

as for the bose, well long story short I broke my wifes 58B540 last weekend replacement for Samsung 58" B540? and then realized that plasmas were on the way out, stumbled upon this site and "what has been seen can not be unseen" I realized the 42 LCD in my man cave was crap. So I grabbed a F5300 for the man cave and hopefully will be able to get a 8500 for the living room. so I dont really have anywhere to move the bose to, but it looks like converters are available, so I will head over to that section of this site.

Thanks to all!!

Samsung pn58b540 previously
Now PN60f5300

pn60f8500, on the way - hopefully
post #12 of 17 Old 01-30-2015, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Still lovin my F5300. Colors are very rich compared to 5 months ago when I got it. Everything has settled in nicely. Movie nights are awesome. Waiting on a good, affordable under 5k OLED as my next adventure.

I mentioned this to my friend and he immediately said, "i'll buy your tv off you". He has a **** LED at home. He can definitely tell the difference when he comes to my pad.
post #13 of 17 Old 02-01-2015, 09:31 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool59 View Post
Hello forum.
I am a long time owner of a Panasonic TH-50PX600U that still performing incredibly. Due to the fact that Samsung is now discontinuing its Plasma line along with the other companies who make them, we decided to buy another Plasma before it was too late. We missed out on the last Pannies of which I am sick about, as they were the best Plasma's ever made ( to some experts opinions.)

So now we own a new Samsung Pn60f5300 that we bought from HHGREGG 2 days ago on sale for $740.00 including tax.
I will be moving the old 50" Panasonic to a bedroom and will be wall mounting the new Samsung in the living room.
To be honest I am almost hesitant to swap the old Panasonic as the picture is gorgeous to this day. I went in and set it up using someones detailed settings on a Panasonic forum back when we purchased the set, which I think was in 2007. Everyone who visits out home think its the best picture they have ever seen and ask where they could get one. They are shocked to find out its an OLD PLASMA television set.

I had the same reactions constantly when I had my PH9 (given to a family member)

The 50PX600/PH9 is one of the last plasmas that can cleanly reproduce the entire 8-bit range and then some, the latest models whether from Samsung or Panasonic are only 4 and 5 bits per channel but they perform better in some areas and take the back seat in others. In close viewing those 9th generation Panasonic's are a thing of beauty and they can render smoke plumes and transparency and difficult scenes in PC games like nothing else out there but the advantage starts to diminish the further away you get from the set and ordinary television and movies hardly play into the strengths of these displays with the overuse of chroma compression and subsampling.. in many ways the content still hasn't caught up with these ancient models and the solution they came up with is to shove more pixels on the screen.

Now forget everything I said and go enjoy your plasmas

PDPs Panasonic 50PF30, 42PF30, 50PH9 : CRTs Sony Trinitron 21", Philips 36PW9607
post #14 of 17 Old 02-01-2015, 09:40 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 60
This guy said it better, museum quality.. too funny

PDPs Panasonic 50PF30, 42PF30, 50PH9 : CRTs Sony Trinitron 21", Philips 36PW9607
post #15 of 17 Old Yesterday, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadThunder View Post
This guy said it better, museum quality.. too funny

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3rWjxsQ7VZo
Actually I consider my Panasonic Plasma one of the better Plasma's ever made. Like I said the looks and comments from friends who have bought new ones still say they don't have the picture that I have on my old Panasonic. I wish I hadn't missed out on the VT and ST models. Oh well it is what it is. I will be setting up the new Samsung as soon as the mounting bracket arrives and I will use the setting posted here for it too.
Wish me luck
Thanks

On another note, anyone know where I might find a base for the old Panasonic TH-50PX600U
post #16 of 17 Old Today, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

okay, one more stupid question. A 3d blu ray player will not make this tv display 3d, right?

Samsung pn58b540 previously
Now PN60f5300

pn60f8500, on the way - hopefully
post #17 of 17 Unread Today, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvmxr View Post
okay, one more stupid question. A 3d blu ray player will not make this tv display 3d, right?
Correct. The 8500 can, the H5000 and our 5300's can not.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page