So Should I go and get one while I can? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes

post #1 of 40 Old 02-07-2015, 10:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So Should I go and get one while I can?

So I am currently watching a 50 inch Sony KDF 50E2000 Which still functions flawlessly.
It has been a decent TV. I can not complain about the picture in HD or SD. I would imagine there is much better out there but this has been quite watchable for us.

My plan was when this TV died, I was going to get the latest Panasonic Plasma........Well of course we all know what happened to Panasonic and their Plasma line. I was disappointed but figured OK maybe I will get a Samsung. Well of course I hear Plasma is done, Samsung and LG have called it quits. Now it looks like I have to decide something now.

Should I run out and get a Plasma while they are there to get, and before they get to be so few the price skyrockets, or with the old TV still plugging along should I wait for OLED to further develop and hopefully become something I can fit to our budget?

I think my room is perfect for Plasma, it is a dark room, windows are heavily curtained
We are at about a 12 to 16 foot viewing distance, depending where you sit.

If I go Plasma I am flip flopping between PN60F5300 60-Inch and PN64H5000 64-Inch

I know bigger is better but of course the price tag of the 60 is more budget friendly considering it would be a really unplanned purchase. And it would still be a good step up from our current tv in both size, and I am sure picture quality! Also keep in mind I am used to the 50 so the 60 is still a good step up.

Reading all the talk about the pink banding, dead pixel worries, then the panel lotteries etc has me worried, should I be or is that overblown?

One other Question while I am asking since we are at the end of the line, guessing most of you say get one don't wait for later technology. I do not normally do this on these purchases, but should I consider a long term extended warranty like square trade or someone else as added protection on this? If so, any suggestions who to go with?

Share your thoughts, and advice is truly appreciated!

Thanks
Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 02-07-2015, 02:26 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Well your viewing room sounds ideal for a plasma that has a reflective panel as the PN60F5300 and PN64H5000 each do. And you're right that they aren't going to be around much longer. I worried over the same issues you are and chose the 64" because my closest seat is 11' from the screen. I'm glad I did and expect at greater seating distance you also will appreciate the larger screen.

I moved up from 56" and initially wondered if I went too big but after a couple weeks I am certain 64" was a better choice than 60" even though it's about $100 an inch more. I'd say initially you'll be satisfied jumping up 10" to 60" then later will be annoyed you didn't go for 64". If you go large you might stay with the plasma a couple more years, offsetting the higher price.

A service contract might be smart in this case. I never get them but am considering Square Trade for the H5000 mainly because I'd rather get the plasma fixed instead of replaced until OLED or other technology is superior to plasma. My older 56" DLP still works fine and didn't need to be replaced but it's small and I wanted to hop on the caboose of the big plasma train before it was out of sight. I got 7 years out of the DLP (which is pretty good for that technology) and hope to get 7 from the plasma.

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #3 of 40 Old 02-08-2015, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Go Go Go NOW before they are GONE with the wind.
post #4 of 40 Old 02-08-2015, 04:31 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by TESmith View Post
Should I run out and get a Plasma while they are there to get, and before they get to be so few the price skyrockets, or with the old TV still plugging along should I wait for OLED to further develop and hopefully become something I can fit to our budget?
Many of us have just picked up a Plasma ahead of our original plans since we don't want to take the risk that there won't be an affordable replacement when the time comes. Thus, my vote is go Plasma now.

Quote:
If I go Plasma I am flip flopping between PN60F5300 60-Inch and PN64H5000 64-Inch
Very subjective decision. I just purchased a 60" and was amazed by how much larger it was than my 50". Do keep in mind that these units are heavy. My 60" is 75 lbs, and I imagine a 64" will be significantly heavier yet.

Quote:
Don't get hung up on the nits that people post. I have an LG that many people bash here for low black levels (despite that they have never even seen one in person).. The PQ of my LG is amazing and blows away my Panny S30 50". Not saying get an LG vs. a Samsung, just saying any of your Plasma choices will rock your world. Get one and don't look back!
post #5 of 40 Old 02-08-2015, 05:01 PM

Quoted: 40 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
...I think my room is perfect for Plasma, it is a dark room, windows are heavily curtained...

...We are at about a 12 to 16 foot viewing distance, depending where you sit...

...price tag of the 60 is more budget friendly considering it would be a really unplanned purchase...

...Reading all the talk about the pink banding, dead pixel worries, then the panel lotteries etc has me worried, should I be or is that overblown...

...should I consider a long term extended warranty like square trade or someone else as added protection on this...

Thanks
Tim
It's perfect, as mentioned

This is good, especially if you start reading up on pentile displays you can rest assured you will never ever think of it

64 has some slight edges over the 60 but so very similar that if budget matters at all I'd go w/ the 60, it's still so good that you'll be happy

It does happen but majority of users have no problems

I didn't, partly because budget was an issue and partly because - let's say it dies in a year or two what are they really going to do? Plus I don't expect it to die, my 5 old Panasonic plasma and my parent's 3yr old Samsung plasma are all rocking along fine. They don't inherently tend to break and if they do you can't get another one even if you wanted.
post #6 of 40 Old 02-10-2015, 04:04 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I want to say thank you to each of you!

I think I am going to go for it, just trying to decide between the 60 and 64!

Been reading many posts
Of course I am a worrier thinking of many what ifs! Guess it will be what it will be
Now If I can just decide which one
post #7 of 40 Old 02-10-2015, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 436 Post(s)
Liked: 76
Quote:
So I am currently watching a 50 inch Sony KDF 50E2000 Which still functions flawlessly.
It has been a decent TV. I can not complain about the picture in HD or SD. I would imagine there is much better out there but this has been quite watchable for us.

My plan was when this TV died, I was going to get the latest Panasonic Plasma........Well of course we all know what happened to Panasonic and their Plasma line. I was disappointed but figured OK maybe I will get a Samsung. Well of course I hear Plasma is done, Samsung and LG have called it quits. Now it looks like I have to decide something now.

I think my room is perfect for Plasma, it is a dark room, windows are heavily curtained
We are at about a 12 to 16 foot viewing distance, depending where you sit.

I know bigger is better but of course the price tag of the 60 is more budget friendly considering it would be a really unplanned purchase. And it would still be a good step up from our current tv in both size, and I am sure picture quality! Also keep in mind I am used to the 50 so the 60 is still a good step up.

Reading all the talk about the pink banding, dead pixel worries, then the panel lotteries etc has me worried, should I be or is that overblown?

One other Question while I am asking since we are at the end of the line, guessing most of you say get one don't wait for later technology. I do not normally do this on these purchases, but should I consider a long term extended warranty like square trade or someone else as added protection on this? If so, any suggestions who to go with?

Thanks
Tim
Check out last week's interview of Home theater geeks with Joe Kane, He talked about the problems with OLED. I was in the same situation... because I was waiting for HDR. I ended up getting the PNF64, mostly due to hours of research... I-magic was the nail in the coffin for me, as he told me it's "one of the best purchases I ever made". I concur.

I'm thinking HDR & more color is the only reason you'd really want an OLED set/ 4k. I'm going to take a guess and say that we are still a few years away from seeing a serious amount of content being graded for HDR. Just looking back @ the slow roll out of bluray, I think it's a safe assumption.
But I'm biased though, and wanted dolby Atmos/ didn't want to wait for HDCP 2.2 complaint receivers so I made the 1080p plunge... I plan to stay there for 5 years or so. I have a baby on the way so that's a deciding factor too... I figure I won't be watching TV a lot over the next couple years.
post #8 of 40 Old 02-10-2015, 04:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 113
I don't think either a F5300 or H5000 would be a bad investment at this point in time but I wouldn't get too worked up about one either. I enjoy my F8500 but I wish someone would have strongly reminded me that it's just a TV to avoid some of the 'gotta get a plasma before they are gone' frenzy I've gone through over the last year or so. It's been a long strange expensive trip...

Living room: Sony KDL-60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Super Zero w/ NHT Ten Subwoofer, Panasonic DMP-BDT230.
Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #9 of 40 Old 02-10-2015, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
I want to say thank you to each of you!

I think I am going to go for it, just trying to decide between the 60 and 64!

Been reading many posts
Of course I am a worrier thinking of many what ifs! Guess it will be what it will be
Now If I can just decide which one
TES, either the 60" or 64" will make a great display!

I have 2 Panasonic plasmas, a 42" (7 yrs old) in my bedroom & a 65"(3 yrs old) in my family room 7.1 setup. Both have been trouble free, and are used Daily for 3-12 hrs a piece!

Im sad along with everybody else about Plasma being killed off! Hopefully by the time one of both of mine die, any issues with OLED will be worked out as well as prices dropping!

My brother in law (penny pincher) went out and got himself a 60" LG plasma for 899.99 nearly 2 yrs back when he finished his basement, after loving the picture on both of mine! The LG does have a very nice image as well, IMO...
post #10 of 40 Old 02-10-2015, 06:15 PM
Advanced Member

64"...

People have said their TV's feel smaller a day or two after bringing it into the house... I'm still thinking the TV feels like it's not too small.
post #11 of 40 Old 02-11-2015, 02:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
I'm thinking HDR & more color is the only reason you'd really want an OLED set/ 4k.
No directional buzz/sizzle with OLED.

Still sorry I had to return my 64F8500.
StinDaWg likes this.
post #12 of 40 Old 02-11-2015, 03:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Yes. Get one. Now. Those of us that did are so relieved and happy with our decision. Terrific TVs for relatively cheap money. Perfect sets to hold us over until the next proper technology becomes worthy of our consideration. LCDs just don't cut it and I'm so tired of them as a technology at this point..... I'm DONE. Just done with Liquid Crystal displays for anything other than computer screens or cheap bedroom TVs.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
post #13 of 40 Old 02-11-2015, 08:36 AM

I just purchased my latest Samsung PN51F4500B from Best Buy the other day for $399.00
When I went to the back where the televisions were located they had this as a display model on the wall and it had the absolute worst picture of any of the other sets available for sale. The salesman walked over and asked me what I was looking for and I told him to go to the back and bring me one of those Samsung 51" plasma televisions. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked if thats what I really wanted. I laughed at him and said of course I did. I told him that with a little calibration and some time I could make that cheap old Plasma television look as good as his most expensive LED/LCD on his pretty wall. I asked him did he understand the importance of black levels on a display and he said yes he did. He then proceeded to tell me that LED/LCD's have come a long way since the beginning and I then asked him if they were on par yet with a Plasma set. He conceded they weren't. I then asked him why they didn't try and at least get a decent picture setting for the Plasma sets they had for display. He said they didn't have the time and Plasma was a dead technology. They aren't even trying to sell these sets except using the price point of $399.00 for the 51" Samsung.
They were sold out of the 60" and the 64" Samsung plasmas. They advised me they aren't getting anymore in either.
So after telling me how great the OLED was I asked him how they compared in picture size and costs to a Plasma and again he was for the most part at a loss for words. I asked him if he ever has heard of AVSFORUM.COM and he said he was aware of it. I nicely told him he should check it out sometimes that it would help him understand the pluses and minuses of new and old television technology.
They brought out a dusty PN51F4500B box that has the T panel and I thanked the salesmen for a great deal on a fantastic television. They said they had one more in the back if I wanted it. I am going back next Saturday and if they have it I am going to buy it and put it up just in case I need it in the future. For $399.00 the price can't be beat. I now own 2 new Samsung Plasma televisions that I am in the middle of breaking in. I am loving my PN60F5300B in my living room and the 51" is now in my bedroom where its nice and dark all the time, and the color is fantastic from the 12 feet I am away from it.
Thanks to this forum for all the information and again if you are shopping for a HDTV right now get one of the Samsung Plasma's before they are all gone. HHGREGG still has the PN60F6300B for sale for $799.00 plus shipping. Plus if you open an account you get an extra 5% off.
GET IT NOW!
post #14 of 40 Old 02-11-2015, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kucharsk View Post
No directional buzz/sizzle with OLED.

Still sorry I had to return my 64F8500.
My TV buzzes too, but honestly after the first week or two I had it I don't notice the buzz anymore. + I listen at 75 % volume, I can't hear the buzz at all with that volume going.
post #15 of 40 Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Dreading a Non-Plasma Display

I am so pleased with our decision to go with Plasma. We have two Panasonic Plasma displays and we couldn't be happier with them. One is seven years old and the other two. Both have performed flawlessly.

If you can get a decent plasma display before they're gone, I highly recommend it.

Thanks for highlighting the situation, because our daughter's family needs a TV in the near future to replace an old rear projection set which we handed down to her when we bought our TC-P65GT50. I'm going to encourage her to pick up a plasma set before they're gone.

I would also recommend buying the biggest display you can afford. The larger size will provide a more immersive experience.
post #16 of 40 Old 02-11-2015, 05:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aras_Volodka View Post
My TV buzzes too, but honestly after the first week or two I had it I don't notice the buzz anymore. + I listen at 75 % volume, I can't hear the buzz at all with that volume going.
The buzz wasn't that difficult to tune out; the variable directional high frequency sizzle heard when sitting centered in front of the TV was what I couldn't live with.
post #17 of 40 Old 02-13-2015, 08:56 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool59 View Post
I just purchased my latest Samsung PN51F4500B from Best Buy the other day for $399.00
When I went to the back where the televisions were located they had this as a display model on the wall and it had the absolute worst picture of any of the other sets available for sale. The salesman walked over and asked me what I was looking for and I told him to go to the back and bring me one of those Samsung 51" plasma televisions. He looked at me like I was crazy and asked if thats what I really wanted. I laughed at him and said of course I did. I told him that with a little calibration and some time I could make that cheap old Plasma television look as good as his most expensive LED/LCD on his pretty wall. I asked him did he understand the importance of black levels on a display and he said yes he did. He then proceeded to tell me that LED/LCD's have come a long way since the beginning and I then asked him if they were on par yet with a Plasma set. He conceded they weren't. I then asked him why they didn't try and at least get a decent picture setting for the Plasma sets they had for display. He said they didn't have the time and Plasma was a dead technology. They aren't even trying to sell these sets except using the price point of $399.00 for the 51" Samsung.
They were sold out of the 60" and the 64" Samsung plasmas. They advised me they aren't getting anymore in either.
So after telling me how great the OLED was I asked him how they compared in picture size and costs to a Plasma and again he was for the most part at a loss for words. I asked him if he ever has heard of AVSFORUM.COM and he said he was aware of it. I nicely told him he should check it out sometimes that it would help him understand the pluses and minuses of new and old television technology.
They brought out a dusty PN51F4500B box that has the T panel and I thanked the salesmen for a great deal on a fantastic television. They said they had one more in the back if I wanted it. I am going back next Saturday and if they have it I am going to buy it and put it up just in case I need it in the future. For $399.00 the price can't be beat. I now own 2 new Samsung Plasma televisions that I am in the middle of breaking in. I am loving my PN60F5300B in my living room and the 51" is now in my bedroom where its nice and dark all the time, and the color is fantastic from the 12 feet I am away from it.
Thanks to this forum for all the information and again if you are shopping for a HDTV right now get one of the Samsung Plasma's before they are all gone. HHGREGG still has the PN60F6300B for sale for $799.00 plus shipping. Plus if you open an account you get an extra 5% off.
GET IT NOW!
What is "T" panel? Is it something we need to look for only for the 4500 series?

I didn't even know about the 4500 series, but at that price...

I'm thinking of picking up another Plasma and need to research 5300B, H5000 and now I guess 4500's...

I'm guessing Panny's are mostly gone by now, but what about LG..Don't know if they have anything worth looking at still available.

I'm not a fan of Pentile, so need to refresh my memory on which Samsung sizes are pentile.
post #18 of 40 Old 02-13-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 28
A "T" panel is made by Samsung and of course they are in many TV models. Other panels by Sharp or AUO , etc. also turn up with different prefixes. He shortened the alpha/number, my PN64H5000 has a version number TS02 so has a Samsung panel. The number is on the label on the shipping carton so people in the know can determine the panel without opening the box. There are multiple number codes for Samsung and the others.

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
post #19 of 40 Old 02-14-2015, 12:04 AM

Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 40
I was relaxing in the bedroom watching the Hawks game tonight when Tivo nagged me it was about to use both tuners to record programs for my wife and kicked me out (my bedroom TV is a plasma). I didn't feel like going all the way downstairs to the HT room to watch the rest of the game and it was the third period anyway so I went to the upstairs viewing area and finished it on my 55LS5700. Its not a bad TV but omg: the difference in viewing experience between plasma and LCD is cavernous, especially for sports.

I hope my F8500 lasts a long, long time because my eyes have gotten too used to plasma viewing and going back to LCD is simply not an option anymore. I'll buy used plasmas off of eBay as long as I have to, or until OLED is the norm.

So yes - get a plasma while you can.
post #20 of 40 Old 02-14-2015, 04:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked: 136
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy2012 View Post
I was relaxing in the bedroom watching the Hawks game tonight when Tivo nagged me it was about to use both tuners to record programs for my wife and kicked me out (my bedroom TV is a plasma). I didn't feel like going all the way downstairs to the HT room to watch the rest of the game and it was the third period anyway so I went to the upstairs viewing area and finished it on my 55LS5700. Its not a bad TV but omg: the difference in viewing experience between plasma and LCD is cavernous, especially for sports.

I hope my F8500 lasts a long, long time because my eyes have gotten too used to plasma viewing and going back to LCD is simply not an option anymore. I'll buy used plasmas off of eBay as long as I have to, or until OLED is the norm.

So yes - get a plasma while you can.
Exactly. That's why many of us are buying plasmas even now. We tried to do the LCD thing. I really did. Kept coming up short though and returned 3 different ones. They have their positives I suppose but LCDs still cannot get blacks and motion right. Or, if they do have decent black levels then the viewing angles are puny and that's a problem too.

I'm with you. Hell, I'm tempted to buy another plasma just to have one in case something happens to my H5000.

OLED had better take over quick.... Or we are screwed.

Samsung PN64H5000
LG BP 540
Sony DH550 AVR
Polk Tsi, RSi, Bookshelves & PSW sub-woofer
post #21 of 40 Old 02-14-2015, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Same situation as many, bought three LED/LCD TVs since Black Friday, including two 4K ones. Returned all three. After reading a bunch here, said screw it and got a PN60F5300B from Best Buy. Couldn't be happier.
post #22 of 40 Old 02-14-2015, 09:14 PM

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Konix View Post
Same situation as many, bought three LED/LCD TVs since Black Friday, including two 4K ones. Returned all three. After reading a bunch here, said screw it and got a PN60F5300B from Best Buy. Couldn't be happier.

I remember buying my first plasma 720p back in 09 . The salesperson "congratulated" me, like I had done something well; had found a "needle in the haystack."

CONGRATULATIONS...!

Is it more fun to use the equipment or talk about it on AVS?
post #23 of 40 Old 02-14-2015, 09:30 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Bought a 60" LCD a year ago because it had dropped to $500, agree it has not blown me away at all.

Been looking for a 2nd TV for awhile, am going to see if I can track down the 51" Samsung. thanks for the heads up.
post #24 of 40 Old 02-21-2015, 10:52 AM

We went back today and bought another 51F4500B to put away just in case. Got it for $364.00 at Best Buy.
post #25 of 40 Old 02-21-2015, 05:51 PM
ADU
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked: 216
Plasmas have upsides and downsides.

Generally speaking, the upsides are great angle of view (on the F5300 & F4500), good uniformity, black neutrality and contrast ratio, very natural-looking colors, and minimal motion blur due to the 60Hz refresh/flicker rate. And the downsides are burn-in, glare/reflections in a bright room (F5300 & F4500), dithering (mostly visible in darker shades), buzzing (more noticeable on the 1080p models), flicker, and generally lower resolution than current 4K and 1080p LEDs. (The 51F5300 & F8500 were the only recent Samsung plasmas with full 1080p resolution, and most are now gone.)

The black levels should be better than most current IPS LEDs, and older fluorescent backlit LCDs (which have largely been phased out). But probably not as good as many current VA LEDs (when viewed at optimum angles). And the F5300 and F4500 have no "soap opera effect" to smooth out the motion (like mid- and high-end LEDs). Most of the PenTile 60F5300s (and maybe 64H5000s?) also have a diffuse "pink" hot spot at the bottom center of the screen, which is noticeable to some esp. in a dark room.

If you like the upsides, and are ok with the downsides, then I'd say get one. The prices will certainly never be better.

ADU

Last edited by ADU; 02-22-2015 at 12:21 PM.
post #26 of 40 Old 02-21-2015, 07:42 PM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 95
I bought 3 Samsung 51" plasmas within the last year or so and they are all amazing. 51F4500 AFXZA, 51F4500 BFXZA, 51F5300 BFXZA Absolutely zero regrets with any of them-- they produce the best pictures Ive ever seen.

As for the 4500 series, it doesnt matter if you get an A or a B rev, they are both simply incredible sets, at under $400, in my opinion they're the best bang for the buck in the history of television panels. The differences between the A and the B are just a few items in the menus. In my opinion they produce the most CRT-like picture available in a flat panel, and are the best gaming TVs you can buy for all consoles below the XBone and PS4 (though they are great for those as well, just not as well suited for them as the 5300s).

The full 1080p 51F5300 is spectacular for Blu-Rays, PC, and Full HD game consoles. Netflix Super HD and OTA HD also look great on it.

The larger pentile matrix F5300s are also fantastic, I just didnt have the right setup for larger than a 51".

The F8500 series, well, its one of, if not THE best TVs of all time.

Ive seen LG plasmas and they are very nice as well. We have a 60" at work in a meeting room and its full 1080p, looks great. Good bang for the buck.

Basically plasma beats LCD in almost every conceivable area of PQ. They are like giant, super thin CRTs (this is a good thing). They have that same "warm glow" and perfect viewing angle.

The only areas I can say that LCDs beat plasmas is the lack of line bleed (not a big deal with plasmas, but they all do it), and zero potential for burn in/uneven panel wear. I'll give them that. Oh yeah and they're great for tee tiny screens as well.

Long story short better get you one while you still can...
ADU likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

post #27 of 40 Old 02-21-2015, 09:30 PM

I jus got the 64in h5000 now im seriously thinking about buying the 51in 5300 for the bedroom so yea go get one u want regret it...
post #28 of 40 Old 02-21-2015, 09:54 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
I bought 3 Samsung 51" plasmas within the last year or so and they are all amazing. 51F4500 AFXZA, 51F4500 BFXZA, 51F5300 BFXZA Absolutely zero regrets with any of them-- they produce the best pictures Ive ever seen.

As for the 4500 series, it doesnt matter if you get an A or a B rev, they are both simply incredible sets, at under $400, in my opinion they're the best bang for the buck in the history of television panels. The differences between the A and the B are just a few items in the menus. In my opinion they produce the most CRT-like picture available in a flat panel, and are the best gaming TVs you can buy for all consoles below the XBone and PS4 (though they are great for those as well, just not as well suited for them as the 5300s).

The full 1080p 51F5300 is spectacular for Blu-Rays, PC, and Full HD game consoles. Netflix Super HD and OTA HD also look great on it.

The larger pentile matrix F5300s are also fantastic, I just didnt have the right setup for larger than a 51".

The F8500 series, well, its one of, if not THE best TVs of all time.

Ive seen LG plasmas and they are very nice as well. We have a 60" at work in a meeting room and its full 1080p, looks great. Good bang for the buck.

Basically plasma beats LCD in almost every conceivable area of PQ. They are like giant, super thin CRTs (this is a good thing). They have that same "warm glow" and perfect viewing angle.

The only areas I can say that LCDs beat plasmas is the lack of line bleed (not a big deal with plasmas, but they all do it), and zero potential for burn in/uneven panel wear. I'll give them that. Oh yeah and they're great for tee tiny screens as well.

Long story short better get you one while you still can...
We have a LG LCD in the office on the wall, it has severe burn in on it, LCD is tougher to hurt, but it definitely can be done.
post #29 of 40 Old 02-22-2015, 07:50 AM

Quoted: 228 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by jliehr View Post
We have a LG LCD in the office on the wall, it has severe burn in on it, LCD is tougher to hurt, but it definitely can be done.
Dont even know how thats possible, as there are no phosphors with which to wear unevenly in an LCD as there are in CRTs and plasmas. The LCD is literally a liquid that takes a certain shape when a certain charge is applied to it, then returns to liquid when the charge is removed. Ive heard others here claim to have seen it as well, but I cant recall ever seeing it in all my years, while I most definitely have seen it in both plasma and CRT.

In any case, though, LCDs can safely be thought of as completely immune to burn in / 100 times less prone to it than plasma or CRT. Not even the most die-hard plasma fan would dispute that fact with any seriousness.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

post #30 of 40 Old 02-22-2015, 11:09 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Short answer is yes, definitely. And I would spring for the 64".

It angers me though, that I did not realize all of the 'good' plasma's had already disappeared from the marketplace, while I was in blissful ignorance watching my 9G 50" KURO. If I would have known how fast they were being swept away, I would have purchased a Panny or an 8500 Sammy while they were still around. Live and learn I guess.

I picked up a 60f5300 at BB while they were on sale for 699, I got it home and the picture quality was not anywhere near my (un-calibrated) KURO, I started to dig around AVS and found the major reason for this was the pentile tech used in production of this screen. I was not happy.

I was going to take it back, that is, until I found out there were no 60/64f8500's OR even a 64f5300 (non-pentile) to be had at a reasonable price anywhere. Now I should explain, that the reason I was so unhappy about the pentile was it's performance as an HTPC trying to display computer text, it looked terrible to my eyes. A fellow AVS member claimed that this was more of a Windows text rendering problem than the fault of the pentile, IT IS NOT, and I have some pictures I took to prove that.

Long story short I decided to put the 60" in place of the KURO in the Living Room where I do not use a TV to display the HTPC, that was the compromise I came up with, and after dialing in some suggested setting changes posted somewhere here, the TV looks pretty darned good for what it is used for, it just will never be as good as the non-pentile.

Hope this helps..

Everything under the Sun is in tune...
But the Sun is eclipsed by the Moon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays