Input Pls: Samsung Warranty Stonewalled - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 13Likes
  • 1 Post By DavidHir
  • 1 Post By HLdan
  • 1 Post By AMartin56
  • 1 Post By breezy2012
  • 1 Post By NODES
  • 1 Post By nshvydky
  • 1 Post By nshvydky
  • 1 Post By wowsza
  • 1 Post By nshvydky
  • 1 Post By nshvydky
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
  • 1 Post By nshvydky
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
post #1 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 01:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Input Pls: Samsung Warranty Stonewalled

An extremely frustrating experience is detailed:

purchased a 64" F8500 late November, found out there's 2 dead pixels and poor uniformity with pink tinting

Store no longer carried this product and obviously won't be restocked, but it's a well-regarded model so I chose the warranty route.

Samsung sent out a tech...the tech said if dead pixels are not in the 1/3 centre of the screen there needs to be 9 dead pixels or more to be eligible for servicing. What a silly policy, case was closed.

I then got a hold of another tech that agreed the poor uniformity is not normal for a plasma display, he sent a service report to Samsung with pictures.

I call couple of times, they claim they never received the pictures. I sent them again to their Executive Customer Relations department. The rep said she'll call me back in 2 days, never did, this went on to happen again from the same rep. I follow up a 3rd time and she tells me nothing can be done because of the dead pixels not meeting policy. She said I could contest the decision because of the poor uniformity.

I was given the ECR Manager's full name and contact. Surprise surprise, no replies.

Called back again, a nicer ECR rep gaurantees his manager always replies back...he even double-checks his inbox to ensure he has received my E-mails. 3 days later and still nada.

So I've made at least 15-20 calls over 2 months and the manager is completely ignoring me. This is not how I expect to be treated for defective brand new product and not just any product but their near-perfect reviewed flagship in the biggest size produced to date. The funny thing is every rep says different things, one says "ECR is the highest escalation, we don't have a manager" while another says "our manager does not speak to customers directly, only via E-mails" or " my manager will call you back, I promise". I have also had two reps that practically hung up on me after I've corrected their lies; puts me on hold and never comes back after 15-20 minutes. Seriously the professionalism is real!

Now as you can see I consider myself to be a persistent individual but never have I been fully stonewalled by an outsourced customer support team filled with liars of a large corporation. I'd like to know how I can proceed to get a satisfactory resolution. Does anyone have a contact for a higher up in Samsung Canada? Make a huge detailed post on their Facebook/Twitter and get some negative PR for them to respond? Resend the manager quoting the warranty and threaten legal action? Would BBB do anything in warranty claims? I have the manager's full name and E-mail...thoughts on what I can do with this?

I just want to enjoy my TV in its defective free form...thanks in advance.

Display: 64" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500
Audio: 54" Vizio 5.1 Sound Bar System S5451w-C2
NAS: Seagate Backup Plus 5TB via Asus RT-AC56U Router
HTPC: C2D E8400/Passively-Cooled GeForce GT 730/4GB DDR2 Win 8.1 3D Blu-ray Limelight Steam Machine
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 01:50 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked: 568
I would go one step better and get an attorney to write a letter to them.
twitchyzero likes this.

post #3 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by twitchyzero View Post
An extremely frustrating experience is detailed:

purchased a 64" F8500 late November, found out there's 2 dead pixels and poor uniformity with pink tinting

Store no longer carried this product and obviously won't be restocked, but it's a well-regarded model so I chose the warranty route.

Samsung sent out a tech...the tech said if dead pixels are not in the 1/3 centre of the screen there needs to be 9 dead pixels or more to be eligible for servicing. What a silly policy, case was closed.

I then got a hold of another tech that agreed the poor uniformity is not normal for a plasma display, he sent a service report to Samsung with pictures.

I call couple of times, they claim they never received the pictures. I sent them again to their Executive Customer Relations department. The rep said she'll call me back in 2 days, never did, this went on to happen again from the same rep. I follow up a 3rd time and she tells me nothing can be done because of the dead pixels not meeting policy. She said I could contest the decision because of the poor uniformity.

I was given the ECR Manager's full name and contact. Surprise surprise, no replies.

Called back again, a nicer ECR rep gaurantees his manager always replies back...he even double-checks his inbox to ensure he has received my E-mails. 3 days later and still nada.

So I've made at least 15-20 calls over 2 months and the manager is completely ignoring me. This is not how I expect to be treated for defective brand new product and not just any product but their near-perfect reviewed flagship in the biggest size produced to date. The funny thing is every rep says different things, one says "ECR is the highest escalation, we don't have a manager" while another says "our manager does not speak to customers directly, only via E-mails" or " my manager will call you back, I promise". I have also had two reps that practically hung up on me after I've corrected their lies; puts me on hold and never comes back after 15-20 minutes. Seriously the professionalism is real!

Now as you can see I consider myself to be a persistent individual but never have I been fully stonewalled by an outsourced customer support team filled with liars of a large corporation. I'd like to know how I can proceed to get a satisfactory resolution. Does anyone have a contact for a higher up in Samsung Canada? Make a huge detailed post on their Facebook/Twitter and get some negative PR for them to respond? Resend the manager quoting the warranty and threaten legal action? Would BBB do anything in warranty claims? I have the manager's full name and E-mail...thoughts on what I can do with this?

I just want to enjoy my TV in its defective free form...thanks in advance.
BBB route is my recommendation. It's worked for me both times I've used them. It's not so much they automatically side with the customer but BBB will make certain there is a connection between the customer and the management ASAP.
twitchyzero likes this.
post #4 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 04:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked: 115
Also shame them on Facebook. It can't hurt. Just accurately describe how you have been getting the run around.
twitchyzero likes this.

Living room: Sony KDL-60NX720, Yamaha RX-V673, NHT Super One/Super Zero w/ NHT Ten Subwoofer, Panasonic DMP-BDT230.
Man Cave: Samsung PN51F8500, Vizio S4251w-B4, Sony BDP-S5100, Darbee Darblet.
Displays calibrated with HCFR, i1DisplayPro, and Colormunki Photo.
post #5 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 06:21 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
So you just saw the dead pixels now? Did you test for dead pixels right after you bought it and not find any?

I've only had to call Samsung support once and it wasn't pleasant. Fortunately it wasn't a serious situation (almost all of the batteries for the 3d glasses were dead). They sure gave me the runaround and I never could get them to send me some replacement batteries. Why risk pissing a customer off over a few bucks when they just purchased a $3000 TV?
twitchyzero likes this.
post #6 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

Nope, I found the dead pixels out of the box and this runaround's been going on for 3 months. I just sent the President of Samsung Canada a lengthy E-mail outlining the neglect and unethical representatives.

HTPC: C2D E8400/Passively-Cooled GeForce GT 730/4GB DDR2 Win 8.1 3D Blu-ray Limelight Steam Machine
post #7 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 06:37 PM

Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked: 43
Where did you buy it from?
post #8 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 08:49 PM - Thread Starter

futureshop
it's owned by Best Buy in Canada
they've been more than fair by offering 65" UHD displays as replacement but I declined because I am committed to plasmas for now. My problem's not with them but rather Samsung.

post #9 of 23 Old 02-13-2015, 08:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked: 119
Good luck Samsung warranty sux....I always get the Future shop in store warranty, I have had great success with it.
twitchyzero likes this.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
post #10 of 23 Old 02-14-2015, 12:52 PM - Thread Starter

FS's PSP has a bad rep though
it wouldn't have made a difference in my case because FS was already willing to offer other displays as replacements

post #11 of 23 Old 02-16-2015, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 16
To be precise about number of dead pixels: "The dead pixel warranty applies when your TFT-LCD/LED/PDP & Monitors contains more than 7 dead pixels within the standard warranty period of your TFT-LCD Monitor which SAMSUNG will exchange the LCD panel/module, provided that the defective unit is returned to SAMSUNG complete with full accessories and original packaging."
http://www.samsung.com/my/support/warranty/
twitchyzero likes this.
post #12 of 23 Old 02-16-2015, 11:06 AM - Thread Starter

actually in Samsung Canada nothing like that is documented to the public...so it looks like I should have the right to get them to service even under dead pixels? Pink tining/banding is just a back-up in case dead pixels are not recognized/honored.

http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/warranty/

post #13 of 23 Old 02-17-2015, 04:39 PM

What color are they? And what part of the screen?
If for example you have couple of them in the bottom (1-2 inches from the bottom) and other than that panel is flawless I wouldn't bother. You can get a new one which could be even worse (not uniform or have very noticeable pink/green blotches).
Oops. I did not read that you have "poor uniformity with pink tinting" too. So yes, may be it make sense to change it but it is like a lottery, new one could be with the same issues or even worse (severe DSE for example) which Samsung could consider like ok.
twitchyzero likes this.

Last edited by nshvydky; 02-17-2015 at 04:52 PM.
post #14 of 23 Old 02-18-2015, 03:09 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
that really stinks since you can't even dispute the charge since futureshop is trying to do the right thing, and samsung isn't the one who took your money. maybe check if your credit card company offers warranty with certain purchases (e.g. american express)
twitchyzero likes this.
post #15 of 23 Old 02-19-2015, 12:09 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nshvydky View Post
Oops. I did not read that you have "poor uniformity with pink tinting" too. So yes, may be it make sense to change it but it is like a lottery, new one could be with the same issues or even worse (severe DSE for example) which Samsung could consider like ok.
?? From my undestanding uniformity is supposed to be excellent for the F8500, there doesn't seem to be many complaints on this model. It's pretty infamous on the F5300 though.

post #16 of 23 Old 02-19-2015, 07:20 AM

I can tell from my experience only. I replaced my set five times. All replacements had some uniformity issues, and four out of five had bad pixels. Now I have two sets (out of these five) and one has some green/pink tint but very little DSE and no dead pixels, the other one has practically no tint issues, but DSE and 2 dead pixels in the bootom. Did not see any without DSE. All these issues can't be seen in like 95% of time during normal TV viewing, so I can't say that they are severe. DSE by the way is the most noticeable for me.
twitchyzero likes this.

Last edited by nshvydky; 02-19-2015 at 07:30 AM.
post #17 of 23 Old 02-19-2015, 10:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
I can tell from my experience only. I replaced my set five times. All replacements had some uniformity issues, and four out of five had bad pixels. Now I have two sets (out of these five) and one has some green/pink tint but very little DSE and no dead pixels, the other one has practically no tint issues, but DSE and 2 dead pixels in the bootom. Did not see any without DSE. All these issues can't be seen in like 95% of time during normal TV viewing, so I can't say that they are severe. DSE by the way is the most noticeable for me.
Are both your set 64"?
Can you walk me through the process? They only came by with a new panel and had to physically install it before actually determining if the new part is defect free or not? How long did it take to install?

So after sending an E-mail to Samsung Canada's President and Samsung's Voice of Customer feedback form, an ECR rep finally contacted me. He's gonna send out a tech (haven't clarified if it's actually a repair because Samsung mentioned it's evaluation...dafuq I already had one done). The good news it's an authorized indie shop this time and not Best Buy's Geek Squad, so I'm expecting a bit better service.

post #18 of 23 Old 02-20-2015, 09:12 AM

I'm sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, but I changed the whole sets not panels. I have two 60F8500. About panel replacement process you can find some posts in the other F8500 threads. Some reports that replacement panel is made in Korea (instead of Mexico), so may be they have better quality control, but as I understand there is no way to be sure that the panel is issue free util they install it.
twitchyzero likes this.
post #19 of 23 Old 02-20-2015, 06:41 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
I'm sorry I probably wasn't clear enough, but I changed the whole sets not panels. I have two 60F8500. About panel replacement process you can find some posts in the other F8500 threads. Some reports that replacement panel is made in Korea (instead of Mexico), so may be they have better quality control, but as I understand there is no way to be sure that the panel is issue free util they install it.
The plasma panel is made in Korea. The Mexico plant is simply an assembly plant where they put the TV together, but they don't manufacture anything there.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #20 of 23 Old 02-20-2015, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
The plasma panel is made in Korea. The Mexico plant is simply an assembly plant where they put the TV together, but they don't manufacture anything there.

I have no doubts that it could be true, but the fact is that sticker on the plasma panel itself says made in Mexico (at least on my sets) and replacement panel sticker says in Korea, whatever that means.
twitchyzero likes this.

Last edited by nshvydky; 02-20-2015 at 08:08 PM.
post #21 of 23 Old 02-20-2015, 11:07 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 191 Post(s)
Liked: 558
Quote:
I have no doubts that it could be true, but the fact is that sticker on the plasma panel itself says made in Mexico (at least on my sets) and replacement panel sticker says in Korea, whatever that means.
Despite that Mexico sticker, i'm still virtually positive that Samsung does not have a Plasma Panel manufacturing plant in Mexico. I remember a few years ago that Samsung lost a case where they took the US Government to court claiming that their Plasma TVs should be duty-free under the NAFTA rules since they were assembled in Mexico, but the court ruled that since the Plasma Panel Modules that the the TVs are built upon were manufactured in Korea, the TVs did not qualify for the duty-free exemption under the NAFTA rules since the panels were built outside of the NAFTA territory. The court ruled against Samsung. This case alone tells me that they didn't build the panels in Mexico, otherwise they would have had no reason to take the US government to court in an attempt to get out of paying the non-NAFTA tariffs on these TVs.

It's more likely that the core panel module is shipped from Korea to Mexico, then the Mexican plant installs the on-board integral circuit boards onto the back of that core panel and slapped a Mexico sticker on it in an attempt to make it look like it was wholly made in Mexico. But the court knows where the panel modules were made, and it ain't Mexico :-)
twitchyzero likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 02-20-2015 at 11:10 PM.
post #22 of 23 Unread Yesterday, 05:59 PM - Thread Starter

Update to my case:

I sent an E-mail to the President of Samsung Canada and also filled out the Voice of a Customer form on their website. I was contacted within half a day saying someone from ECR will contact me. ECR called me the next business day or two dispatched an authorized service (not Geek Squad this time, a local indie shop). Resent the pics to said indie shop and they ordered a new panel. Brand new panel came in a week later from California. No dead pixels, much quieter buzz. Tinting still present (although I recall the old one was a tad harsher) and a minor DSE (which I don't think my old one had). After nshvydky said he went through five 64" f8500 sets all had either dead pixels/tint/DSE I guess you lose some and you win some. At this point I am satisified because the remaining concern won't affect my video content 99% of the time. Only two instances did I see it: flashback white frames in Six Feet Under or snowy/ice scenes in BBC's natural docs. It would still be a bit annoying when I'm web browsing though. I actually haven't watched any ice hockey games on it yet so I'm not sure if it has the pulsating problem like the F5300/5500. In case anyone was wondering, the panels were built a week apart in May 2014 but the new one is Made in Korea vs old one in Mexico. Replacement panel was $1400 + taxes and labour was $135...thank goodness it was all covered, I guess I paid the price many times over for the headaches of getting it processed.

post #23 of 23 Unread Today, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Good news, twitchyzero! I hope the repair works out for you, so far it sounds good.

Thanks for letting us know how it finally worked out for you and congratulations for getting Samsung to cover the cost of the repair. Diligence does pay off, you sure stuck to your guns until this matter was resolved.

---------------------------------------------------
2014 Samsung PN64H5000 Plasma Thread
2008 Samsung HLxxA650 DLP Thread/FAQ
Free Men Do Not Ask Permission to Bear Arms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page