Pana ST60 - All HDMI inputs stopped working. Help?? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 02-28-2015, 02:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 22
Pana ST60 - All HDMI inputs stopped working. Help??

Hi everyone

Has anyone had issues with a Panasonic ST60, where the HDMI inputs suddenly stop working?

When I mean stop working, I mean the inputs are not responding/showing any signs of life (ie, a picture on the TV), when an HDMI source(ie PS3) & HDMI cable are connected to them.

All 3 HDMI inputs have stopped working.

This has got me beaten I've been trying all day to fix this. It just started happening this morning.

I've tried :

- Turning the TV off at the wall, unplugging power, as well as all HDMI cables and sources.. wait a few hours then plugged power, THEN cables, then sources in. Nothing. No picture on the ST60.

- I looked in setup menu on screen and changed "input labels" too.. Tried changing the inputs to "not used" and then turning them back on, to HDMI1, 2, and 3. Made no difference.

- Updated TV to latest firmware via the TV's onscreen menu. No change.

- Went into menu on TV and reset factory(picture) defaults. No change.

Short of calling in a tech, does anyone have any idea what could be wrong? I bought this 60ST60a a year ago (new) and this just happened this morning out of the blue. Never had any issue connecting HDMI sources before. Normally the picture of the source just comes straight up on the screen.

Could a hard reset of the TV perhaps "restart " the HDMI ports..? (In the service menu I mean?) Does anyone know how to do this on an ST60?

Is there anywhere else in the settings where you can "configure" the HDMI ports, or alter their settings?

I'm at a loss.

The TV is a few months out of warranty. go figure..

Thank you so much everybody!! Any advice you had would be so welcome!

Thanks

Last edited by rippington; 02-28-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-28-2015, 02:20 PM

Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Did you try a different HDMI cable?
post #3 of 7 Old 02-28-2015, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks.

I have 3 HDMI sources (TiVo, Apple TV, PS3) all hooked up, to all 3 HDMI ports, via 3 separate HDMI cables. None work.

Also I connected up my computer monitor (to the above 3 sources) via HDMI ; same cables. All sources' images display perfectly on the computer monitor.

This is how I know there's something up with the TV inputs.

Thanks =)
post #4 of 7 Old 03-01-2015, 11:23 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 576
It sounds to me like your HDMI input board has failed.

I would immediately call Panasonic and explain to them that the TV just went out of warranty, and how you expect a TV from such a great company like Panasonic to last more than 14 months yadda yadda yadda, and ask if they'll cover a repair visit under "customer goodwill". They have done this for LOTs of people here when their TV developed a problem 1 or 2 months after the warranty expired, but that was back when they were still actively making Plasma TVs. Maybe now that they're practically out of the TV business they may not be as accomodating as before, but it's worth a shot. If you don't get anywhere with the first CSR give it a few days and call back and see if you get a better CSR. Sometimes they'll escalate your case to their higher-ups. Even if they just cover the parts or labor that would help.

Failing that, did you happen to buy the TV using a good credit card that automatically adds one year to the manufacturer's warranty? Lots of guys here have been saved by their credit card company using this sometimes unknown feature (they pay the repair shop instead of Panasonic paying them).

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #5 of 7 Old 03-01-2015, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Randy. Your reply is a big help, because I just checked my credit card terms. Yes! My card manufacturer provides an additional 12 months of warranty beyond original 12 months.

This is a great fallback.

I forgot to mention I'm in Australia. I called the retailer who heard the TV was out of warranty but when they heard it was only 15 months old they softened and said "it shouldn't break at that age".

They're sending Panasonic local authorized repairer (in my city) to inspect.

Unsure of the situation in USA but, I understand in Australia, parts for the ST60's don't exist with Panasonic Australia anymore. I just do not want some LED from Panasonic in replacement/if the entire TV is deemed unrepairable. This ST60 was ISF calibrated and I've been a plasma owner my whole life ; Pioneer's, etc.

I just hope to goodness they can repair.. surely an HDMI input board wouldn't be 'Panasonic specific'? Just wondering if a repairer could just insert any type..

Anyway I'll wait and see!

Thanks for responding Randy.

Last edited by rippington; 03-01-2015 at 01:18 PM.
post #6 of 7 Old 03-02-2015, 08:02 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 576
Quote:
Originally Posted by rippington View Post
Thanks Randy. Your reply is a big help, because I just checked my credit card terms. Yes! My card manufacturer provides an additional 12 months of warranty beyond original 12 months. This is a great fallback.
That's great news! And yes, use the CC warranty as a fallback if it turns out that the TV is absolutely positively not repairable, the CC company will probably just cash you out at that point. And hopefully if they do that, they might ask you to "dispose of the non-operational TV" and you'll get to keep it. Then start looking for whatever boards need replacing and maybe you can fix the TV yourself at a later date. Or sell it for it's panel and surviving boards.

Quote:
I forgot to mention I'm in Australia. I called the retailer who heard the TV was out of warranty but when they heard it was only 15 months old they softened and said "it shouldn't break at that age". They're sending Panasonic local authorized repairer (in my city) to inspect.
That's also great news! Offer him refreshments and become his friend, hopefully he will take a personal interest in getting this irreplaceable TV repaired !

And you might want to add your country location under your avatar . . .

Quote:
Unsure of the situation in USA but, I understand in Australia, parts for the ST60's don't exist with Panasonic Australia anymore.
That may be true, but wait to see what the service man comes up with. It's possible that they have access to used or refurbished boards if new ones are no longer available. And here in the USA there are companies that repair bad circuit boards and sell refurbished boards so maybe there are such companies down under. I have AV customers that have utilized such services to fix Panasonic displays in board rooms and conference rooms. Some of your AU boards may be shared with certain Asian models as well so that may be another source for boards.

Quote:
I just do not want some LED from Panasonic in replacement/if the entire TV is deemed unrepairable. This ST60 was ISF calibrated and I've been a plasma owner my whole life ; Pioneer's, etc.
Since the retailer is the one covering the repair, they may be willing to replace it with a different brand. After a LOT of forum reading and auditioning in stores i replaced the 55ST60 in my bright man-room with a Sony LCD TV and it comes pretty darn close to my ST60 in most aspects, and even surpasses it in a few areas (the ST60 will get moved into the den where we watch our movies).

My new Sony 55W800B LCD TV:
OK! Your LCD! You Tell Me! Got a new one? post it here

Quote:
I just hope to goodness they can repair.. surely an HDMI input board wouldn't be 'Panasonic specific'? Just wondering if a repairer could just insert any type.
Well the replacement boards are Panasonic-made and are very specific to a particular model and sometimes even screen size of that model. Sometimes they are superceeded by a newer part number but the service man will know all this.

In the meantime, don't keep trying to turn the TV on as it may cause damage to other boards. I presume the TV otherwise works ok using the tuner or the component inputs? And you can bring up the menus and the smart features on the screen ok?

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TC-P50GT50, TC-P46G10, TH-42PZ700U, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC R40 Remote.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #7 of 7 Old 04-09-2015, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm having the same problem, but my TV is almost 3 years old. The problem happened once last night, but I powered it off and back on and it was fine. Tonight my wife said it did 3 times, and I swapped out hdmi cables and took my receiver out of the mix and I couldn't get it working again. It did start working again later, but I fear my Hdmi board is going out as well. I do have a Square Trade warranty, but don't want to lose this TV.
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread - 55W800b by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page