AVS Forum banner

My worry for burn-in is gone.

466 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mailiang 
#1 ·
For a year I was refraining from playing games or watching content with logos on my plasma and if I did, it would sit in the back of my mind like a paranoia.
I thought to myself that I'm not using the screen for what it was bought for and being over protective like it's extremely fragile.
Playing retro 4:3 console games (I'm a child of the 90s) with white letter huds use to be definite no.

Several days ago I consciously decided to let go of the fear and just ab-use the display for whatever I needed.
F it, plasma or not, it's going to serve ME not I it.

I am a new man now, thanks for reading.

#5 ·
i look at it like this. i will use the tv for whatever it is i want to watch. but i'm also going to be careful about how it reacts and take proactive steps to fix minor IR before it becomes an issue.

for the plasma's i've owned, it takes a good 8-10hrs of constant 'abuse' before ir starts to become obvious(much more for the f8500, this thing is unreal against IR). i almost never will use the tv for 10hrs straight, so no matter what, i have time to run the screen wipe in between.

so in theory, i could do nothing but play 4:3 retro video games, and i still wouldn't have any issues, as i'd be able to run the screen wipe once a week, or once a day, whatever was the necessary amount.

fwiw, my 'horror story' was when i left my f8500 on overnight with the avs forums displayed. i guess i pressed the power button twice quickly, so it turned off and then on again?? anyway, 7hrs later there was some noticeable IR, and it took about 20mins of viewing content before it was 'invisible' and less than an hour before it was totally gone. after that i knew there was no way i could do damage without ignoring the tv for a long, long time. at which point it's like the guy that complains about his car being unreliable but he doesn't do any of the routine maintenance. a little effort goes a LONG way with plasmas and ir.

Reactions: mailiang
#6 ·
I think the ST60 and f8500 have similar phosphors.
Luckily you really have to put some effort to get actual burn-in, IR on the other hand is quicker than previous models.

I just make sure the phosphor is properly and equally agitated using "Screen Swipe" when I turn On the TV after the TV was Off for several hours or overnight.
I found that the worst I can do for nasty IR is white logo/letters the moment I turn on the TV.

I just agitate the phosphor equally BEFORE use, and don't worry about IR or Burn-In.

#7 ·
I've never had any IR issues with my S60. I run the screen wipe for 15 minutes after watching content with sport tickers or letter boxing. I don't game, so that's not an issue for me.

Ian

#10 ·
I haven't had to run the screen wipe on my f8500 in a long time, probably 600+hrs of use. I still have to 'maintain' my older Samsung plasma from time to time by zooming in. it tends to develop a bit of ir of the letterbox bars if I leave it for a couple weeks.

simply varying my content(pc use, movies, full screen video, gaming) seems to be enough to keep the f8500 looking healthy.

Reactions: Josh128
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.