Recommendations to replace Panasonic VT50 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-30-2015, 06:18 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Recommendations to replace Panasonic VT50

My 50" Panasonic VT50 gave up last week. Been a little out of touch and have been calling many shops to try to get a plasma without success.

What are the current good choices to replace plasma? I watch a lot of sports and soccer and want one with good blacks to TV series and Movies. Looking at 48" to 55". Any LED/LCD recommendations with good smooth motions? I have a lumagen mini 3d for all my scaling/deinterlacing needs. No need for smart anything as well.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-30-2015, 06:31 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1245 Post(s)
Liked: 1247
if you want something that will be in the same ballpark for overall picture quality

panasonic
vt60(hasn't been made in over a year, little to no chance of finding one new)
zt60(same as above)

samsung
f8500(at the end of it's life cycle, could be difficult to find)
*f5300/h5000 may be 'close enough' to the vt50. and they should give you better motion than the lcd's on the market.

LG
oled, whatever their current model line is, but motion is not one of it's strong points from the reports i've read.

unfortunately, that's basically it.
Latinoheat likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
Old 03-31-2015, 11:07 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
if you want something that will be in the same ballpark for overall picture quality

panasonic
vt60(hasn't been made in over a year, little to no chance of finding one new)
zt60(same as above)

samsung
f8500(at the end of it's life cycle, could be difficult to find)
*f5300/h5000 may be 'close enough' to the vt50. and they should give you better motion than the lcd's on the market.

LG
oled, whatever their current model line is, but motion is not one of it's strong points from the reports i've read.

unfortunately, that's basically it.
Thanks for your recommendations. I decided to go with the Samsung H7000 series. The custom motion plus options seems to help somewhat. But I already miss my plasma :-(
Old 03-31-2015, 11:14 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 429 Post(s)
Liked: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by oliverlim View Post
Thanks for your recommendations. I decided to go with the Samsung H7000 series. The custom motion plus options seems to help somewhat. But I already miss my plasma :-(
I can assure you, you most certainly will miss your plasma moving onto an LCD such as the H7000. I would highly recommend checking out the Samsung H5000 64" Plasma. It's getting harder to find as well but it's far better than any LCD on the market. Unless you already have an LCD in the house and are used to it, once you replace a great Plasma such as the VT50 with an LCD you won't be happy with the inferior PQ that LCD's bring such as the Flash Lighting, Poor Uniformity, Clouding and the worse part is the LCD's require you to sit in a sweet spot (usually dead set in the middle of the screen) in order to get the most uniform lighting and color. Also, you most certainly won't get the cinematic blacks on an LCD as you did with your VT50.
Old 03-31-2015, 11:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLdan View Post
I can assure you, you most certainly will miss your plasma moving onto an LCD such as the H7000. I would highly recommend checking out the Samsung H5000 64" Plasma. It's getting harder to find as well but it's far better than any LCD on the market. Unless you already have an LCD in the house and are used to it, once you replace a great Plasma such as the VT50 with an LCD you won't be happy with the inferior PQ that LCD's bring such as the Flash Lighting, Poor Uniformity, Clouding and the worse part is the LCD's require you to sit in a sweet spot (usually dead set in the middle of the screen) in order to get the most uniform lighting and color. Also, you most certainly won't get the cinematic blacks on an LCD as you did with your VT50.
I searched alot of places and made calls to Panasonic and Samsung in my country. I even searched through the forums here and nope. The last of the plasmas were all gone sometime late last year. There are some 2nd hand plasma that are way too old to consider. If there were pioneer, I would have jumped as well. I am hoping that OLED come into the market at the reasonable price sometimes later this year.

Gear in this thread - H7000 by PriceGrabber.com