Not-too-old Plasma has started making noise - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 04-04-2015, 08:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Not-too-old Plasma has started making noise

Hi all.

I have a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50UT50 50-Inch 1080p. I have had the TV for just about 2 years; the manu date is Dec 2012. It gets what I would consider normal usage; it is not on 24/7, but maybe a total of 3-4 hrs per day. I am not sure what the ambient air is, but it is not excessively hot in the room that holds the TV.

About three days ago, I noticed this loud "buzzing noise" coming from the rear of the TV. Now, I understand that the TV is not going to be completely silent; prior to three days ago, when I would sit on my couch (9 ft) I heard nothing. Now, I hear this noise loud and clear. But it doesn't start right away; it takes a bit. So, something doesn't seem right.

Here is the sound:

http://www.jeffreyhayat.com/tvbuzz.mp3

First, there is about 2 sec of "normal TV noise". This is what I do NOT hear from the couch. Then, what I do hear kicks in.

Any idea what this, and if there is anything I can do?

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 04-07-2015, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 809 Post(s)
Liked: 565
Sounds like the power supply. I would suggest a service call ASAP. It's possible that the set may develop more critical issues.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #3 of 11 Old 04-12-2015, 10:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
Sounds like the power supply. I would suggest a service call ASAP. It's possible that the set may develop more critical issues.

Ian
Thanks for the reply.

When you say the PS, do you mean the main one, or one of the many that I have been told exist? Any idea what that might run me to fix? Thanks!
post #4 of 11 Old 04-13-2015, 12:38 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffWraith View Post
Thanks for the reply.

When you say the PS, do you mean the main one, or one of the many that I have been told exist? Any idea what that might run me to fix? Thanks!
Your power supply is perfectly fine. I had the same issue with both of my U50's after a decent amount of hours. It got progressively worse. The tv will have a low buzz normally, and it causes the screws to come loose over time. There is a revised screw kit for the 50 series plasma that fixes this. Basically, the screws that hold the boards down are loose.
post #5 of 11 Old 04-13-2015, 10:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Your power supply is perfectly fine. I had the same issue with both of my U50's after a decent amount of hours. It got progressively worse. The tv will have a low buzz normally, and it causes the screws to come loose over time. There is a revised screw kit for the 50 series plasma that fixes this. Basically, the screws that hold the boards down are loose.
I've heard buzzing from power supply units, including my old CRT, but they never sounded like that. I hope it's only loose screws and nothing more.

Ian

post #6 of 11 Old 04-14-2015, 08:51 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks guys.

"Basically, the screws that hold the boards down are loose."

It'd be nice if that's all it is. I assume I need to take the back off.... once off, where do I look? If you tell me "you will know it when you see it" - that would work.
post #7 of 11 Old 04-15-2015, 12:31 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 7
My 55" ST30 did the same thing and it eventually went away because the screw making the noise had backed out far enough. A few months after the noise went away, I started getting pink/purple screen interference and IR that got progressively worse. Eventually the TV died with the 7 blinks of death. The backed out screw had caused a short that filtered down to other boards. Thankfully, I was able to pull the affected boards and send them to ModuslinkPTS for repair. Upon reassembly, I used blue loc-tite for every screw holding down the boards that I had removed to help them stay in place. I would say to try loctite or the revised screw kit as soon as possible to hopefully avoid any further issues.
post #8 of 11 Old 04-16-2015, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter

So, took the back off, and proceeded to tighten every single screw there was. Most were really tight, none were all that loose, and a few needed about 1/4 turn. Put it all back together, and I have the same exact thing. :/

Maybe I should go for an LED? lol
post #9 of 11 Old 04-16-2015, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiffWraith View Post
So, took the back off, and proceeded to tighten every single screw there was. Most were really tight, none were all that loose, and a few needed about 1/4 turn. Put it all back together, and I have the same exact thing. :/

Maybe I should go for an LED? lol
May be a failing ps cap. As I posted earlier, if you plan on keeping the set, I would have it checked out ASAP.

Ian

post #10 of 11 Old 04-16-2015, 03:06 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 431 Post(s)
Liked: 346
Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
May be a failing ps cap. As I posted earlier, if you plan on keeping the set, I would have it checked out ASAP.

Ian
Failing caps generally don't buzz. A coil could, but a cap would make more of a high pitched ringing noise. He may need a new PS board. I would stay away from changing that specific board out though unless you really know what you are doing. You would be dealing with life threatening voltages.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-16-2015, 04:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by *UFO* View Post
Failing caps generally don't buzz. A coil could, but a cap would make more of a high pitched ringing noise. He may need a new PS board. I would stay away from changing that specific board out though unless you really know what you are doing. You would be dealing with life threatening voltages.
Ring, buzz, regardless, I recommended a service call to have it checked out.

Ian

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page