AVS Forum banner

Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA Issues with turning on

239K views 616 replies 199 participants last post by  mytucents 
#1 ·
I have been looking to see if other owners of the Samsung PN64F8500AFXZA model have experienced issues with turning on their TV with the TV's original remote or universal remote. I have yet to find any threads talking about such problem. So here goes my issue:

Since I purchased this TV about a year and a half ago, it worked flawlessly with my universal remote MX-800 series. TV would turn off and on with no hesitation or delay. About a year into owning the TV, I started noticing that the TV would not respond to the universal remote. I figured maybe I was blocking the IR sensor, so I would stand directly in front of the TV for several seconds to ensure I was not directing the sensor elsewhere.

It turns out it just wouldn't turn on regardless of how direct I was with pointing the remote. It would occasionally happen here and there, and I would try again a few times and the TV would turn on. I didn't really think anything of it as it would always work quickly after. Over time, the TV started to respond less and less. I even tried turning on manually with the button on the TV and the original remote. Nothing would work. I began to suspect that it might be a capacitor issue that Samsung's have been plagued with as I had a similar issue with my older Samsung LCD. It seems there hasn't been anything reported on this particular model with this issue. Nowadays its hit or miss when I try to turn the TV on, sometimes it works the first time, other times it just doesn't work for a 30 min stretch, then I give up and come back a couple hours later to try again.

I have tried calling Samsung support, but they are the least helpful people on the planet. Not to mention my TV is now out of warranty so it would cost me money just to have someone come out and inspect it. I am hoping by posting this issue here, perhaps the true TV enthusiasts can offer some advice or should I just suck it up and pay for a Samsung tech to come out and look at the TV.

Appreciate any help!

See less See more
#448 ·
hello everyone guys,
unfortunately my PS64F8500 also died exactly as described by others, but the same day a vertical line appeared on the left side of the screen yellow / orange ...
I can't find capacitors in online stores in Italy or Europe, is there any Italian that can give me any indication?

Grazie.
:)

#450 ·
Wow, add me to the list of inevitable failures. Bought my PN64F8500 from Best Buy back in Oct 2014 and the love affair finally came to a close this week. My Square Trade Warranty expired in November of last year. Soon after I found that at times the TV would freeze or lock up especially when using the standard remote control. I could however use the cable box to change channels, but I had to use the back TV Controller to adjust sound. Unplugging TV and letting it sit would reset it allowing standard remote use until it seemed to get to a certain temperature and it would freeze up again. Always had a red LED once reset, but it never blinked. No issues of no picture, but sound or clicking from the TV. This week its just dead with no red LED, picture, or sound. I assume its a bad power board, so I'm going to replace with a supposed working used part. Next, I will try to assess if the 3 Y-Sus board capacitors are bad and try to replace. Don't know if it might have led to the power boards failure (assumption). Need to try to get TV on life support until new Panasonic GZ2000 is available. I checked and the TDK capacitors aren't available, so what do others suggest as an alternative?

#462 ·
Is there a systematic way to troubleshoot if the problem is from the X board or Y board ?
My TV is clicking/not turning on

-I did change all the blue caps on the Y board
-I did test the power supply (with everything unplug) and all the voltages are good (VS is slightly higher than expected).
-I did try a second main/logic board, so I know it's likely not the problem.

I'm able to get proper voltages (for VA, VS, VSCAN, VE) if I unplugg the ribbon cable from the Y-Board to the logic/main board (and the green led is now blinking fast like in a normal/healty state).
If I unplug the X board power (from the Y board), it doesnt click, but I get a slow blinking green LED indicative of a problem (dunno if it's telling me that there is a problem with the Y board or Y-SUS, or it detects that the X board is unplug)

#470 ·
thank you all for your input. Your time is much appreciated. Like some others on this thread, my issue is with the power supply (no standby LED light). After some research, I got an ESR meter to test each of the capacitors on the Power board. I found some that may have been out of range so I'm going to try to take them out, test again, and replace.

1. has anyone done this with success?
2. I guess I will go to Moser and buy similar electrolytic capacitors. Outside of the Voltage and uF specs, any other specifications I should look for in buying the replacement capacitors (they are cylindrical and brown and of various sizes/voltages).

In case anyone else is curious, I have pasted the part number, and voltage of each capacitor on the power supply board
TV: PN60F8500AFXZA
Board details: BN44-00602A,
Board Number(s): P60PF_DSM, PSPF751503A

Part # on board, Microfarad, Volts
CX 820 1000 10
CX 821 1000 10
CX 816 470 10
cX 819 220 25?
cq 815 1000 25
cx 801 4.7 50
cx 815 470 35
cx 817 470 35
cx 818 470 35
cb 814 220 25
cs 801 470 100
cs 824 470 100
cs 894 can't read 250
cs 893 can't read 250
cs 811 22 50
cb 836 47 50
cq 807 47 50
cp 387 120 500
cp 388 120 500
cp 840 120 500
cp 839 120 500
cs 847 47 50
cp 816 47 50

#471 ·
I've had an F8500 for around 5 or 6 years. Bought mine shortly after they were discontinued for 800.00 It's been excellent, until today.

It went black this morning after having been on less than a half hour. I have no red standby light, no sound, nothing. Left it unplugged for over an hour, still nothing.

After reading through this thread, I've come to the conclusion it's the main power board, and not the Y board.

From my understanding of these issues, if you have sound or a blinking red light, it's Y board. With no light or sound, it's usually the main board?

Would someone be so kind as to confirm?

Jody

#472 · (Edited)
single cap?!

Hi all - I hope someone is still following this thread. I bought the 3 caps from mouser last year - knowing I'd eventually get up the nerve to attempt the "fix." Today was that day. But to my surprise and dismay, after I pulled the back panel off, I realized my panel doesn't have the 3 caps at all - it just has a single cap. It looks like it says 22uf on the cap. My display has all the characteristics mentioned in this thread, so am I right to assume that single cap is my issue as well? I also find it odd that my single cap is 22uf, but everything else I've seen mentions 30uf (3 caps at 10uf each.) My main question is, does anybody know the exact replacement (single cap) fix from mouser (a link?) I'm no electrician, so all this 22uf, 30uf stuff, is way out of my league. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
BK

Edit: for reference, my board looks just like the one in post #63 in this thread.

#473 ·
I'm really tired and fed up with this television. My model is the PL64F8500.

Mine went dead 7 months agora. After asking Samsung for a replacement and get denied since it was >5yrs old I tried to fix the television by myself.

I noted a clicking noise on the SMPS during the power on phase. It was clearly the protection circuit kicking in. After some basic tests I isolated the problem to the Z-SUS board. The one in the right.

Ordered an expensive new board and do the replacement. I tested everything before turning on all the cables. The new board was OK and working as expected when powered on by the SMPS.

So I finally assembled everything and turned on the TV.

It survived for 5 seconds.

The Y-SUS went dead right after. Something blow up on the Y-SUS board in the bottom left of the board. Not sure what blow up, but this is really frustrating.

Now I don't know what to do. Buy an expensive Y-SUS board or just trash the TV.

#474 ·
Now I don't know what to do. Buy an expensive Y-SUS board or just trash the TV.
I recently went through a similar issue with my 60". I took it to a repairman, just because of the very issue you experienced. I considered buying a new power supply board and just installing myself. But that wouldn't have fixed my problem. Mine was the X board. I wouldn't have known what made the power board to fail and would have just burned up the replacement when I energized the TV.

It cost me 400.00 to have it repaired, but could have potentially cost me several power boards and a lot of frustration if I had tried to repair it myself.

If it goes out again, I'm getting another TV.

Just my .02

#477 · (Edited)
Still going strong

Hello Everyone - I was not surprised to see how large this thread has grown but way to many messages for me to play catch up. Just wanted to come on and say that over three years later, the swapped capacitors are still holding strong and the TV is working great.

In reading sporadic comments I see some are having different issues, possibly with the power board itself, but should you be having the issues which this thread began, the changing of the capacitors is the simple inexpensive fix. There are pictures of how to find where these are located earlier in the thread as well as my post on where to find these capacitors through Mouser. GL!!

**I have searched back to save some folks the trouble in finding the link for the capacitors. Should you need the pics of where to locate the three, look back to around July 2016. http://www.mouser.com/Search/Product...20X7S1H106KRT6

#478 ·
Well my 64" F8500, which has been flawless since 10/2014, turned itself off twice in two separate watching sessions. It restarted the first time but is completely dead now. No red light.

Based on my searches - this would indicate a completely failed/dead power supply and NOT the capacitor issue?

Can anyone recommend a mail-in service for repairing the PSU?

Thanks in advance!

Quite disappointing that my 50" 10 y/o Samsung plasma is going strong and was 1/4 the price of the 64".

#482 ·
I had a similar problem and it turned out to be caused by the capacitors. Have you tried to measure power output from the power supply or disconnecting the y-board and see what happens?
I considered sending my y-board and power supply board to a repair guy I found on ebay (username: levimom2). He will repair both for $90. He has a working pn64f8500 to test the parts on.

#479 ·
My 64F8500 has had the sound but no picture problem for many months now. I will get picture most of the time, but not in warm weather and not if the tv has just been turned off (need to wait a few hours first). Thinking I need to replace the 3 capacitors.

Trying to find stock in capacitor, will these ones do the job?

Search part number 146-3467 at au.rs-online.com (I can't post links as I'm new here).

Appreciate any advice.

#480 ·
I want to share a successful repair.

I bought my pn64f8500 (ny model number i Denmark: ps64f8505) when it was released.
About 10 days ago the tv turned itself completely off and turned on again 5 minutes later. This happened a few more times with increasing off-intervals. Next day it turned off again and wouldn't turn on. No LED stand-by light.

After reading through this forum I decided to change the 3 10uF/50V capacitors even though I was unsure if they were the source of the problem or it might be caused by the power supply or something else.
It was sold out from mouser, so I searched the product number (FG20X7S1H106KRT06) and found it on arrow.com (just insert product number). I bought 10 and they arrived in Denmark in 3 days.

When I opened the TV and disconnected the Y-board I could hear a click when i connected the power and I saw a flashing green LED on the main board.

I removed the Y-board, cut the 3 old capacitors off leaving the legs and soldered on 3 new capacitors. The old combined capacitance was around 24 uF and it rose to 30.3 uF with the new capacitors. Thanks for invaluable guides in this forum for how to perform the procedure.

After reconnecting the Y-board the TV works flawlessly :)

Thoughts:
My symptoms were not identical to the most common capacitor-failure descriptions but were still caused by the capacitors
I have only tested the TV for 2 days so don't know the long-term effect

Attachments

#485 · (Edited)
Hi folks i'm in what i believe is the same position to many in this thread.

For the past 18 months or so my F8500 would turn on initially perfectly but if i turned it off at all and tried to return it on i'd get the blinking lights. If i left the tv for about half an hour it would then turn back on as normal. This situation steadily worse and worse until it would not turn on at all when i came back from vacation in August.

I brought the tv to Samsung repair center here in Ireland who initially thought it was a power supply and could be fixed but then decided it was the whole screen and they cannot repair it (Part: BN96-25223A which appears to be the entire screen). The repair center told me Samsung have never had this particular replacement part (in Ireland anyway) and any tv's sold with this fault within warranty were just replaced and not repaired - i of course was well out of warranty. I have in the mean time purchased a LG C9 which i love but i'm determined to get the F8500 back up and running and i'm hoping the capacitor replacement will help me. I saw the link to the capacitors earlier on mouser but they are not available until the new year.

I think i found the equivalent part though am i correct?

https://www.digikey.ie/product-deta...06/445-173302-1-ND/5811907/?itemSeq=306750131

Any tips for a soldering newbie?

ps this is a brilliant thread and thanks to all who put in the hard yards on this.

#486 ·
Hi folks i'm in what i believe is the same position to many in this thread.

For the past 18 months or so my F8500 would turn on initially perfectly but if i turned it off at all and tried to return it one i'd get the blinking lights. If i left the tv for about half an hour it would then turn back on. This situation steadily worse and worse until it would not turn on at all when i came back from vacation in August.

I brought the tv to Samsung repair center here in Ireland who initially thought it was a power supply and could be fixed but then decided it was the whole screen and they cannot repair it (Part: BN96-25223A which appears to be the entire screen). The repair center told me Samsung have never had this particular replacement part (in Ireland anyway) and any tv's sold with this fault within warranty were just replaced and not repaired - i of course was well out of warranty. I have in the mean time purchased a LG C9 which i love but i'm determined to get the F8500 back up and running and i'm hoping the capacitor replacement will help me. I saw the link to the capacitors earlier on mouser but they are not available until the new year.

I think i found the equivalent part though am i correct?

https://www.digikey.ie/product-deta...06/445-173302-1-ND/5811907/?itemSeq=306750131

Any tips for a soldering newbie?

ps this is a brilliant thread and thanks to all who put in the hard yards on this.

The symptoms you describe are 100% exactly the ones that my 64F8500 had. Right down to finally not turning on at all when I returned from a 2 week vacation in August (2018).

Those caps look right to me, but someone else should chime in just in case I am wrong.

Regarding the soldering, I looked at the job and thought better of it. I used google to find a local electronics repair guy, and I brought him the board and caps and for $50 he replaced the caps while I waited.

#489 · (Edited)
Pn64f5500 anyone know what a flashing red light 2x means. recently the tv started rebooted a lot and always came back on its own. then one day it wouldnt start at all. unplugged it and plugged it in and it started and ran fine. then turned off after a few minutes and has a continuous red light flashing 2x

i unplugged it about a minute then it has worked flawlessly for 2 days now.

i dont have the symptoms ive seen here of having sound but no video. its totally dead when it happens. no clicking. no turning on at all. just 2 flashing red lights. im lucky unplugging and plugging in has worked so far.

#490 ·
put in new power board..new y board...the UPS did not kick off so something is better but no red light on and nothing turned on.

before when i plugged tv in it blew the UPS.

i hate to spend 125 for the x and main boards unless thats a guaranteee that is all else could go wrong but i thikn thats not all that could go wrong.

you dont need to have the cover on to make it work do you? i hate to spend more . rather put in new tv

#491 ·
A correction to my former post.

I switched the capacitors and the TV worked for a short time, but then started switching off again.

After replacing the PSU the TV has been working properly for 10 days now.

But my problems were not the typical capacitor-symptoms. My tv switched off completely. No flashing diode.

#494 ·
My TV isn't turning on {picture}, but there's sound and the red light flashes 5 times, so I guess it's
either the Y-board or the main board.

Shop Jimmy doesn't have them and doesn't look like he'll be getting any in stock.

So, If anyone is buying another TV and has no use any longer for their PN60F8500 parts , I'll be happy
to buy the boards.

Thanks

#497 ·
I am having the same issues as everyone else here. Blinking light, not turning on all the time, etc. I have realized as long as i dont turn it off, it stays on. I only have the issue when I turn the tv off. For now I am turning my system off at the Pre/Pro, then the tv goes into screen saver mode. I have ordered the following board from Amazon to see if this fixes my issue.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017Z7HBM0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

#505 · (Edited)
I quoted several to give a heads up because I think I found the problem.

I have the 60" F8500 which looks different than the 64" model and none of those capacitors are present in that location, see post #226 for pics of the 64" boards.
https://www.avsforum.com/forum/167-...f8500afxza-issues-turning-8.html#post50174321

I've been waiting for a friend to bring over their TV {same model} to swap boards to see which board was causing my problem. Blinks Red 5 times ,sound comes on but no picture.

Anyway in the meantime I took off the back cover to examine for blown fuses , couldn't find anything. I took pictures with my cell so I could zoom in on board numbers in case I had to order a board.

When I zoomed in on pictures I noticed something, see if you can notice it too. I just want to make sure I'm not imagining what I'm seeing is the problem. It wasn't noticeable when I was eyeballing it with a flashlight,I only noticed it when zooming in on the pictures.

I'm uploading several pics so you can compare my 60" to the 64" and several others to see if anyone can spot what I spotted.

See pics on bottom of post and be sure to zoom in.

Thanks

Good luck - I gave up and bought a UN65JU7100 from Amazon for $1500 after replacing every board. Even got another exact same TV with same issues from someone else and spent two weekends swapping back and forth. BTW this is the last 3D TV Samsung line they produced. And for an LCD I am quite impressed with the picture, but plasma has a much cleaner action picture.
this is why i'm glad i gave up after 2 boards on my tv. didnt wanna toss good after bad and you are proof that replacing boards wont cure it necessarily. now i wish someone would buy mine with the 2 new boards and prove me wrong though.
Local TV shop said the PDP was shorted! Said he had seen it before.
So I got my tv at Best Buy in 2013 (64”) also got the extended warranty at the time (expired now.) I never had any issues with it till last year (2018), The first symptoms I noticed were that sometimes when turning on the tv the display would not turn on though the audio would. So I would proceed to either turn the tv off and try turning it back on (sometimes it would not let me turn it off so I’d just have to unplug it and then plug it back in), This was very rare early on though it started to happen more frequently as time went on. The second symptom I noticed as more time went by was that the tv would not want to turn on at all, all we’d get is the blinking red light on the led indicator, sometimes if we waited for the flashing to stop and tried turning it on again it’d turn on and other times we’d have to wait longer or unplug the tv and then plug It back in which usually always worked, as with the previous issue this got worse as time went by. Fast forward to about 2 months ago (September 2019) the tv usually doesn’t turn on anymore However the red led indicator is on if it’s plugged in and will usually flash when we try turning it on. If it does turn on the tv works as normal no issues with display or sound and as long as we don’t turn it off it’ll stay on though we don’t want to leave it on all the time as I can’t imagine how high my light bill would get. I’ve called Best Buy for repair options but since my warranty had expired by the time the issue began they said there’s nothing they can do unless I’m willing to pay 250 for some geek squad protection plan for a year and then they can send out a technician who’ll diagnose the tv and tell me the repair costs which I’ll still be responsible for paying (parts and labor), I can’t seem to find any tv repair shops near me to take it into but after reading all of the posts on this topic I’m going to see if replacing the 3 caps works. Im not very tech savvy so I’m probably not going to attempt this myself and was wondering if there anyone here from Oregon who can/knows someone who can do this. I’m seeing a lot of people paying around 50-100 to do this which is something I’d be willing to pay as many of the lcd TVs I’ve seen (even the quantum dot ones) lack the quality imo and I currently Don’t have the budget to pay for an oled tv at the moment.
From the symptoms you describe, it's a very high probability that it is the 3 caps issue; almost a textbook case (and exactly the same as mine).

When I decided to fix mine, I took the back off the TV and removed the Y-Sustain board. Be warned that the connectors to the board are very tight, and will fight you taking them off. I felt competent to work through that.

I did not feel competent to replace the 3 caps, so I Googled electronics repair in and found a guy who did it for $50 (I carried the board into his shop). You may want to try that.
I went ahead and ordered a few of the caps from the link (should arrive by the 27) now just looking for someone who can do an In House repair (I did find someone but they won’t be able to until early next year but I want it fixed now lol). also I don’t have a vehicle to transport this tv in (had an accident earlier this year and totaled my suv) and as I mentioned I just don’t feel capable of doing the replacement or taking out the y board or whatever it’s called. I did see a video on YouTube of someone taking it out but I I’d just rather have someone more knowledgeable either fix it with the y board intact or someone who can remove it and then repair it. Also for some reason the tv was actually useable all day today (November 24) I turned it on and off more than once Throughout the day and for some reason it’s been working fine...it’s currently November 25th around 5 am and I just turned off the tv and then back on and it started up with no issues......I hope it stays useable till I can get someone to do the repair. I’m currently stuck using a 32” Sony lcd.

Good luck - I gave up and bought a UN65JU7100 from Amazon for $1500 after replacing every board. Even got another exact same TV with same issues from someone else and spent two weekends swapping back and forth. BTW this is the last 3D TV Samsung line they produced. And for an LCD I am quite impressed with the picture, but plasma has a much cleaner action picture.
this is why i'm glad i gave up after 2 boards on my tv. didnt wanna toss good after bad and you are proof that replacing boards wont cure it necessarily. now i wish someone would buy mine with the 2 new boards and prove me wrong though.
Local TV shop said the PDP was shorted! Said he had seen it before.
So I got my tv at Best Buy in 2013 (64”) also got the extended warranty at the time (expired now.) I never had any issues with it till last year (2018), The first symptoms I noticed were that sometimes when turning on the tv the display would not turn on though the audio would. So I would proceed to either turn the tv off and try turning it back on (sometimes it would not let me turn it off so I’d just have to unplug it and then plug it back in), This was very rare early on though it started to happen more frequently as time went on. The second symptom I noticed as more time went by was that the tv would not want to turn on at all, all we’d get is the blinking red light on the led indicator, sometimes if we waited for the flashing to stop and tried turning it on again it’d turn on and other times we’d have to wait longer or unplug the tv and then plug It back in which usually always worked, as with the previous issue this got worse as time went by. Fast forward to about 2 months ago (September 2019) the tv usually doesn’t turn on anymore However the red led indicator is on if it’s plugged in and will usually flash when we try turning it on. If it does turn on the tv works as normal no issues with display or sound and as long as we don’t turn it off it’ll stay on though we don’t want to leave it on all the time as I can’t imagine how high my light bill would get. I’ve called Best Buy for repair options but since my warranty had expired by the time the issue began they said there’s nothing they can do unless I’m willing to pay 250 for some geek squad protection plan for a year and then they can send out a technician who’ll diagnose the tv and tell me the repair costs which I’ll still be responsible for paying (parts and labor), I can’t seem to find any tv repair shops near me to take it into but after reading all of the posts on this topic I’m going to see if replacing the 3 caps works. Im not very tech savvy so I’m probably not going to attempt this myself and was wondering if there anyone here from Oregon who can/knows someone who can do this. I’m seeing a lot of people paying around 50-100 to do this which is something I’d be willing to pay as many of the lcd TVs I’ve seen (even the quantum dot ones) lack the quality imo and I currently Don’t have the budget to pay for an oled tv at the moment.
From the symptoms you describe, it's a very high probability that it is the 3 caps issue; almost a textbook case (and exactly the same as mine).

When I decided to fix mine, I took the back off the TV and removed the Y-Sustain board. Be warned that the connectors to the board are very tight, and will fight you taking them off. I felt competent to work through that.

I did not feel competent to replace the 3 caps, so I Googled electronics repair in and found a guy who did it for $50 (I carried the board into his shop). You may want to try that.
I went ahead and ordered a few of the caps from the link (should arrive by the 27) now just looking for someone who can do an In House repair (I did find someone but they won’t be able to until early next year but I want it fixed now lol). also I don’t have a vehicle to transport this tv in (had an accident earlier this year and totaled my suv) and as I mentioned I just don’t feel capable of doing the replacement or taking out the y board or whatever it’s called. I did see a video on YouTube of someone taking it out but I I’d just rather have someone more knowledgeable either fix it with the y board intact or someone who can remove it and then repair it. Also for some reason the tv was actually useable all day today (November 24) I turned it on and off more than once Throughout the day and for some reason it’s been working fine...it’s currently November 25th around 5 am and I just turned off the tv and then back on and it started up with no issues......I hope it stays useable till I can get someone to do the repair. I’m currently stuck using a 32” Sony lcd.

Attachments

#498 ·