Samsung PN51F5300 Glare Fix - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 25 Old 04-05-2015, 11:57 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Samsung PN51F5300 Glare Fix

I picked up this wonderful plasma about a month ago after my old Sony SXRD decided to start turning purple on the right edge. I had read the warnings about how glossy the screen was but didn't think much of it.

Man, was it ever reflective. I don't have an option to put in blackout drapes all over the place. The reflections from windows across the room were crazy. Even the lamp I have on a table next to the couch stood out like it was drawn on the screen. I knew I had to find some way to fix this, or get rid of the TV.

I looked around 3M and other sites trying to find a film that might work. I never could decide on what would actually work best and bit the bullet on trying the Glarestopper product. About $76 for a piece of plastic. But holy cow, what a difference! All the reflections are just gone. Any really bright point source of light is just a soft glow on the screen now.

Installation is a bit of a pain. The instructions tell you to slowly peel the back protective layer off and work the film as you go. But that back layer is so thick that it really does not want to work with you. In the end you do have to work with the included squeegee and just keep at it, you can get all the bubbles out. I was able to remove all of them and don't see any trapped particles/dust/dirt. I think it really helps that my screen was brand new and didn't have any fingerprints or other gunk on it. I used my camera rocket blower to remove any dust I saw before starting.

They recommend you order 1/16-1/8 of an inch too small. I did the 1/16 but should have gone to the 1/8. I think it stretches a bit and had to trim a tad off the final corner to get it to stay flat.

But in the end I highly recommend the product and it kept me from having to get rid of this beautiful TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 04-05-2015, 04:40 PM

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Nice!
post #3 of 25 Old 04-06-2015, 05:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
and no pics?? c'mon now, haha

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #4 of 25 Old 04-07-2015, 06:30 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah...I always wish I had taken pics after doing a project. I was really scared after putting the film on because it was still sooooo glossy. But then I realized there is another protective layer on the front you have to peel off. As I understand it a matte film layer is actually wavy to disperse the light and I guess the protective layer gives you the strength to keep the squeegee going. You do really have to press down harder than you might expect to work out the bubbles.

But once I pulled the top layer off it was like Moses parting the seas... Truly an unbelievable difference. I was amazed on how little information I could find on the web for these films. It seems the standard answer to glare is "install drapes". Blech...
post #5 of 25 Old 04-07-2015, 11:18 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Any pics of the finished product at least? Considering ordering one of these for the exact same TV..
post #6 of 25 Old 04-10-2015, 07:17 AM - Thread Starter

I tried to turn on every light in the room and shoot at some angles. You can see many reflections, but they are very diffuse in nature now. Before you would actually see the light fixtures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2411.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	228.0 KB
ID:	658681   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2410.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	658689   Click image for larger version

Name:	_MG_2409.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	318.4 KB
ID:	658697  
post #7 of 25 Old 04-10-2015, 07:35 AM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Interesting...

Does it affect the picture quality or light output in any way? Would be nice to see some pictures of actual content on the screen. In any case, looks like it was put on professionally. Good job!
post #8 of 25 Old 04-10-2015, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

The company claims 97% light transmission and I can't really tell any difference. I setup the TV based on calibrations from this forum and thought it looked great. I bumped up the brightness 2 notches just for the hell of it....likely didn't even need it. I will try and get some shots of media playing later.
post #9 of 25 Old 04-10-2015, 09:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1272 Post(s)
Liked: 1278
Quote:
Originally Posted by celltech5333 View Post
The company claims 97% light transmission and I can't really tell any difference. I setup the TV based on calibrations from this forum and thought it looked great. I bumped up the brightness 2 notches just for the hell of it....likely didn't even need it. I will try and get some shots of media playing later.
FYI, increasing the 'brightness' actually raises the blacks. if you want a brighter image, you're better off increasing cell light or contrast, or even the gamma.

and thanks for the pics. that pretty much looks like any 'matte' screen I've seen at the stores now.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 25 Old 04-11-2015, 07:07 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 256 Post(s)
Liked: 581
A few years ago i discovered Glarestopper and tried it on my glossy laptop computer and got such good results i got another one for my small glossy LCD TV. I love this product! It doesn't seem to darken the screen at all, my Laptop and LCD TV are still both plenty bright. Now over a year later the film is still perfect and hasn't peeled or discolored or anything on both my screens.

Here are a few posts i made about it in another thread:

Original post:
Forget 4K-All I want is 1080P with no glare

Kinda OT - Several months ago i was shopping for a new laptop computer and i could not find one with a matte screen - they're all glossy and super reflective now. So i bought one anyway and found it almost impossible to see in a bright room and outside where my old (but now dead) matte laptop was fine. I googled around and found Glarestopper dot com and ordered a matte Anti-Glare screen film from them and it works fantastic on my laptop! Huge huge improvement, and now i can use it outside.

I also have two small Supersonic 13.3" LED LCD TVs that i use as video monitors and they are also glossy and super reflective, so i ordered a glare stopper for one of them and it now looks like my older matte LCD TVs. It takes a little time to apply it to the screen, but the finished product is great.

https://www.glarestopper.com/

The follow-up post:
Forget 4K-All I want is 1080P with no glare

The Glare Stopper i applied to one of my two glossy-screen 13" LCD TVs (post #24) makes it look virtually identical to the matte screen on my older LCD TVs, older matte IBM T42 Laptop PC, and my various matte LCD PC monitors. I shined a flashlight on the screen the diffusion looks exactly the same as on the OEM matte screens. It's that effective, and it looks factory. You'd never know that it's really a glossy TV but with an aftermarket film applied.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 25 Old 04-13-2015, 11:32 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks for the pics. What size did you end up ordering? Since you said it was a bit too big I figured I can go off your measurements. Thanks!
post #12 of 25 Old 04-14-2015, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

So my order does not contain the size I requested. But measuring again it looks like I would have ordered 44 9/16 X 24 15/16.

I would personally remove another 1/16th. If you look at the screen there is quite a bit of edge that has no picture. It will still fit just fine. Don't be afraid to work the squeegee, the bubbles *will* work their way out.
post #13 of 25 Old 05-06-2015, 01:40 PM

Liked: 12
Is there any difference in picture quality while it's on? Does it look hazy by chance? I just ordered one for my 5300 also.
post #14 of 25 Old 05-06-2015, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

I personally don't notice any difference in the picture quality. Honestly, the glare was so bad the TV was near worthless until I installed the film.

I almost wish I had put the film on 1/2 the screen and then turned it on to compare, but once I was pushing out the bubbles I had to keep going :-)
post #15 of 25 Old 05-15-2015, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
I just ordered my glarestopper 3 days ago and I have yet to get shipping confirmation? I hope it performs as advertised. If so my viewing experience will be 100% better.
Anyone else have any trouble getting a return email letting you know your item has mailed out?
Thanks looking forward to getting this.
post #16 of 25 Old 05-15-2015, 07:17 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschool59 View Post
I just ordered my glarestopper 3 days ago and I have yet to get shipping confirmation? I hope it performs as advertised. If so my viewing experience will be 100% better. Anyone else have any trouble getting a return email letting you know your item has mailed out?
Thanks looking forward to getting this.
A few weeks ago i ordered another Glarestopper for another laptop and it i got a shipping notification email 2 days after placing my order. Make sure it didn't end up in a spam folder. On my first order i emailed them about a USPS delivery issue and a live person responded pretty quickly, so if you can't check your order's status online try dropping them an email asking if it shipped, and if they have tracking info.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
post #17 of 25 Old 05-21-2015, 01:03 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
A few weeks ago i ordered another Glarestopper for another laptop and it i got a shipping notification email 2 days after placing my order. Make sure it didn't end up in a spam folder. On my first order i emailed them about a USPS delivery issue and a live person responded pretty quickly, so if you can't check your order's status online try dropping them an email asking if it shipped, and if they have tracking info.

Well we got the screen in and installed it today. Took a little time getting some large bubbles worked out. There are still some small ones that according to the instructions will go away on their own soon. All we can say is W O W! What a difference. We replaced a 2007 Panny Plasma which had a small amount of glare with this new Sammy and we were both disappointed in the glare this set showed in our living room. We could see 2 windows, 2 lights etc etc etc and it was totally distracting during daylight viewing hours. Since we installed this about an hour ago we cannot be more pleased. The picture is Fantastic with virtually NO GLARE with shades up and lights on. I would highly recommend this to anyone who bought one of these Samsung Plasma sets that have it in a bright or semi bright room. Thanks for starting this thread. I have heard horror stories about other products meant to eliminate glare before, so I thought we were stuck. AWESOME PRODUCT!
post #18 of 25 Old 05-21-2015, 02:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
I would love to see some pics of this product in action. Sounds promising, but I can't imagine it wouldn't effect picture quality in some fashion.
post #19 of 25 Old 05-26-2015, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 684 Post(s)
Liked: 487
I'll let you know, I just ordered one for my PN60F5300. This is from their website, so take it with a grain of salt.
Is it always 20% off or is this really a "limited time" offer?
Michael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	737954  

Did you really need to quote that entire post in your reply?
Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
Welcome to AVS - Get out while you still can!
post #20 of 25 Old 05-26-2015, 08:11 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhaller View Post
I would love to see some pics of this product in action. Sounds promising, but I can't imagine it wouldn't effect picture quality in some fashion.
When i applied it to one of my two 13" LCD TVs i didn't notice any degradation in picture quality offhand, but it's kinda hard to tell on such a small screen. But nothing jumped out at me. To the contrary, the glossy reflective screen made the TV almost unwatchable so in this regard the Glarestopper was a huge improvement.

On the one i bought most recently for a laptop, i temporarily covered half of the screen and checked a few webpages and it ever so slightly dimmed the screen and text is a teensy bit grainier when viewed up close (probably due to the diffusing texture of the film) but from a few feet away it looked fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastButNotLeast View Post
I'll let you know, I just ordered one for my PN60F5300. This is from their website, so take it with a grain of salt.
Is it always 20% off or is this really a "limited time" offer?
Michael
Well it was 20% off with Free Priority Shipping back in September of 2013 when i bought my first one, but also applied on my 2nd one some time after that, and also applied on the one i bought earlier this month, so maybe it's a Limited Lifetime offer

Randy
post #21 of 25 Old 05-26-2015, 08:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I hope the guarantee lasts as long.

Downloadable FREE demo discs: Demonstration Blu-Ray Discs (Independently Authored)
post #22 of 25 Old 06-23-2015, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Here you go. Put it on last night (indeed, a royal pain).

Before, daytime, me on the couch with the camera. It has been said you can use these sets for shaving in the morning; not much of an exaggeration:

The blue "feet" tilt the set down to avoid reflections from the two windows behind me.

After, daytime. Note the feet have been removed, so now the set actually directly faces me and the two windows behind me:

Before, me and James hanging out at teatime:

After:

I found that removing the top few inches of the backing and making sure the top is secure and lined up, then working down the middle and out to the sides six inches or so at a time was the least frustrating method of applying the product. It took me over an hour for my 60" Sammy, and there are still plenty of small (< 1/8 inch) bubbles. Not visible during viewing, and we'll see if they "evaporate" over time.

I'll run HCFR tonight to measure the effect on the calibration and will post the results.

If you have the patience for this, I think it's well worth the cost.

But hurry, the perpetual 20% off deal may end soon. And MakeMKV will come out of beta. And Windows will be bug-free.

Michael

post #23 of 25 Old Yesterday, 10:54 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
bump.

Anyone have any updates on this product?
post #24 of 25 Old Yesterday, 11:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopyswine View Post
bump. Anyone have any updates on this product?
I just don't see the need for that product, though it seems to be pretty good at what it says it does.

My TV is about 10-12 feet away from a double-sliding door where the sunlight enters in the AM from about 6 AM - 11 AM. After that, no direct sunlight hits my apartment.

I can see reflections in the TV when it is off, but it's not as bright as the pics above. A light on the left-side of my couch WILL show up if it is on but if I am on the couch watching shows I usually turn it off....and when I am at my PC with my back to the TV, I can't see it as I am watching the TV off to the side at a 45-degree angle.
post #25 of 25 Old Today, 06:07 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lopyswine View Post
Anyone have any updates on this product?
Life gets in the way.
I have my REW readings. Ended up with a fabulous picture with no glare. Very happy with the product. Though, as warned, installation is a PITA.
I'm planning to start a thread when time allows.
Michael

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page