used panny or new samsung? - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!


Forum Jump: 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-16-2015, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
used panny or new samsung?

Hi everybody!

I'm sick of watching Game of Thrones on my tiny laptop, so I'm gonna bite the bullet and finally buy a large screen TV. After doing my research I've decided on a plasma before they disappear. Best Buy has some good deals on the Samsung models, but my research leads me to believe it's still no match for the Panasonic. I see a few Pannys on ebay and craigslist, and my question is should I look for a good used Panasonic or play it safe and buy a possibly inferior new Samsung?

I'm trying to keep it under $800. Options so far are:
New PN60F5300 for $679
Used on CL Panasonic TC-P65S1 - $600
Used on CL Panasonic TC-P55GT31 - $750

I'm leaning so far towards the 65" for $600. Owner says it's in perfect condition and has had lightweight use.

Thanks!
Christine Pappas is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 12:01 PM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Really terrible prices on those Pannys, and no, the F5300B (especially when modded) is more than a match for those old Panasonics. It's only with models like the U50/UT50/S60 that the Panasonic begins to have a considerable lead over the Samsung in black level retention. MLL-wise, they're both similiar. I know because I own both the Panasonic S64 and the Samsung F5300B, and they're closer than you think. Of course, when we're talking about the F5300A, then yeah, even the GT30 will be quite compatitive against it. I also own the F4500A and now I realize the difference between the A and the B Samsung models are quite big.

If you're going with the used Panny, stick with the 2012/2013 models.
KOF is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 01:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
Josh128's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 525
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 257 Post(s)
Liked: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
I also own the F4500A and now I realize the difference between the A and the B Samsung models are quite big.
Just curious as to what difference you see between 4500 A and B? I have both, and they look identical apart from some menu differences. The screen on the B looks "blueish" when off, on the A it looks gray.

I have an 51F5300B and find its picture to be almost identical to the F4500s apart from the resolution boost.

Displays: Samsung PN51F5300BFXA, PN51F4500AFXA, PN51F4500BFXA

Josh128 is offline  
post #4 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 03:25 PM
KOF
Advanced Member
 
KOF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 896
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh128 View Post
Just curious as to what difference you see between 4500 A and B? I have both, and they look identical apart from some menu differences. The screen on the B looks "blueish" when off, on the A it looks gray.

I have an 51F5300B and find its picture to be almost identical to the F4500s apart from the resolution boost.
My mistake on the F4500B part. I should not be judgemental on a panel I haven't either owned nor seen. I had assumed black level difference would be in line with the F5300s (which I have both seen and owned)

Just comparing my F4500A vs. F5300B, the black level difference is not immediate in the first glance but they get evident the more I play with both panels, because all current Samsung plasmas have fluctuating ANSI black level with APL contents.

In mostly APL friendly scenes like Casino Night Zone in Sonic2, the F4500A do come closer to the F5300B (from my observation with my F5300, it seems to start floating very early which was painfully obvious to me as I was so used with my Panasonic S60) but in many other scenes, the F4500A's inferior black level is made painfully obvious against the F5300B. Like I said, it depends on scenes to scenes, but there are far more scenes where my F4500B is beaten down then scenes where it comes closer. In scenes where APL is severely unfavorable against the F4500A, even my modded LG plasma beats it for ANSI retention. (LGs may have degraded ANSI compared to MLL, but at least they don't float) If I haven't had my Panasonic plasma, I too would have had difficulty pinning down differences because distinguishing ANSI performance is harder than static. Having been trained on my S60 for a year and half makes distinguishing weak ANSI performance quite easy.
KOF is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
My mistake on the F4500B part. I should not be judgemental on a panel I haven't either owned nor seen. I had assumed black level difference would be in line with the F5300s (which I have both seen and owned)

Just comparing my F4500A vs. F5300B, the black level difference is not immediate in the first glance but they get evident the more I play with both panels, because all current Samsung plasmas have fluctuating ANSI black level with APL contents.

In mostly APL friendly scenes like Casino Night Zone in Sonic2, the F4500A do come closer to the F5300B (from my observation with my F5300, it seems to start floating very early which was painfully obvious to me as I was so used with my Panasonic S60) but in many other scenes, the F4500A's inferior black level is made painfully obvious against the F5300B. Like I said, it depends on scenes to scenes, but there are far more scenes where my F4500B is beaten down then scenes where it comes closer. In scenes where APL is severely unfavorable against the F4500A, even my modded LG plasma beats it for ANSI retention. (LGs may have degraded ANSI compared to MLL, but at least they don't float) If I haven't had my Panasonic plasma, I too would have had difficulty pinning down differences because distinguishing ANSI performance is harder than static. Having been trained on my S60 for a year and half makes distinguishing weak ANSI performance quite easy.
I live in the san francisco bay area. EVERYTHING is priced terribly!

Thanks for weighing in, and I'm glad I asked. I was led to believe that all Panasonic plasmas were a slowly disappearing holy grail and I'd be lucky to snatch one up. I was a little worried about the blacks possibly fading over time.

Hearing that the Samsung is just as good has fueled my decision.

Cheers!
Christine Pappas is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 10:28 PM
AVS Special Member
 
NODES's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,301
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 396 Post(s)
Liked: 148
Anything will be better then a laptop screen, I would not buy a used TV unless it carries a full or extended warranty.

Who needs 4K?... just go see your optometrist.
NODES is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old 04-17-2015, 10:40 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm kind of bummed that I can no longer use my existing TV - a 40" sony kv xbr 700. I used to plug my ancient laptop in with composite video cables, but then that machine died and all my gadgets now are HDMI. no HDMI on that old sony.
Christine Pappas is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Yesterday, 02:54 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
UPDATE: I went back to BB to look at the Sammy again, and decided to go for it.

My stomach lurched when the lady told me they were all gone. I told her I'd be interested in the floor model.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the PN60F5300 then....she gave it to me for $549. After calibrating the picture, it looks amazing and I am very happy.
Christine Pappas is offline  
post #9 of 9 Unread Today, 04:33 AM
AVS Special Member
 
chunon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wilmington Ohio
Posts: 5,545
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked: 609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Pappas View Post
UPDATE: I went back to BB to look at the Sammy again, and decided to go for it.

My stomach lurched when the lady told me they were all gone. I told her I'd be interested in the floor model.

I think I got a pretty good deal on the PN60F5300 then....she gave it to me for $549. After calibrating the picture, it looks amazing and I am very happy.
Congrats that is a great deal!
chunon is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off