60" Shootout: LG 6650 or Samsung 5600 ? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By PhilipsPhanatic

post #1 of 6 Old 05-13-2015, 12:55 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked: 24
60" Shootout: LG 6650 or Samsung 5600 ?

OK, I think I have my replacement for my 50" 720p 2006 Philips plasma narrowed down to these 2 TVs (assuming I can get them both for a decent/fair price ).

Which TV would you lean to and why ?

Since I am coming from a 'dumb' TV, Smart TV features aren't really important to me. I don't watch NetFlix or stream and while I occasionally might look at a YouTube video or some PC thing on the TV, it's very very rare (plus you can usually get that from a new Blu-Ray player anyway).

So...for me, it comes down to PQ (big watcher of sports), reliability, and maybe cost. Black levels and other minutae actually don't matter that much since I am coming from 2006 technology and I am bound to see more of an improvement from both TV's vs. what I had previously, than I am to see a big difference between them.

Opinions and thoughts appreciated.

P.S. Not that it really matters.... but the TV is in a living room with no direct sunlight reaching the TV except in the morning...and I sit about 9 1/2 feet away. Because the Philips was an Ambilight TV and I watch alot of TV in the dark, I will probably add some 'cheap' backlighting kit on the TV to illuminate the wall behind it to reduce eye strain and enhance the viewing experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-14-2015, 11:06 AM

Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked: 23
I don't know if you would be interested in this or not, but there is a new Panasonic available in your area for a very large discount (it was bought for a post production company and never used). It's on ebay. (I've been searching for one and there seem to be a lot available up near you than anywhere near me.) Here is the listing. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-TH...-/171788380444

If I lived up there I would snatch it up. I imagine there are others available in your area as well, if you're willing to check the listings on ebay.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-15-2015, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Jazz, great TV but a bit outside my price range. I purchased a 5300 today.
jazzycat likes this.
post #4 of 6 Old 05-15-2015, 02:03 PM

Good for you! I've found two lightly used 2013 pannys s60 nearby that I'm going to check out this weekend for wicked low prices. 60" $700 (1600 hours) and 50" $400 (not sure about hours yet, I'll find out tonight). I'm hesitant to buy used if I can't get a warranty though, as so many TVs seem to go bad nowadays, no matter who made them.

Put up some pictures once you get it set up.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-15-2015, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzycat View Post
Good for you! I've found two lightly used 2013 pannys s60 nearby that I'm going to check out this weekend for wicked low prices. 60" $700 (1600 hours) and 50" $400 (not sure about hours yet, I'll find out tonight). I'm hesitant to buy used if I can't get a warranty though, as so many TVs seem to go bad nowadays, no matter who made them. Put up some pictures once you get it set up.
If the hours are low and the TV is reliable and the known problems can be solved with an easy fix, I would not worry if the price is under $1,000 for a top-notch plasma.

I purchased a 50" Philips 9631 because of the Ambilight. I got the 3-year old TV with about 1,800 hours on it and it lasted 5 1/2 years and 20,000+ hours. The only glitch was the capacitors went (as expected) and a friend did the removal and re-installation. Cost me $10 in parts and 1 sushi dinner.

If the Panny's have a similar known break-down at a certain period of use and it's a similar known/cheap fix, don't be scared to spend the $$$. It's a better risk than buying plasma 10 years ago when the prices were $4,000 or more and problems galore happened right out of the box.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2015, 07:26 PM

lol, a sushi dinner huh? Cheap date that one. I hope you at least sprung for some good beer or some sake.

I'll ask a few of the more knowledgable members who are familiar with pannys. I'm not that technically inclined when it comes to opening something up, although, I've always wanted to learn about electronics. The 60" one is gone now though. Alas. I was planning on getting the 50" anyway and that one is still available.

So hey, what size did you get? A new 5300 on amazon is $1000 now for a 51" and $1600 for a 60" and I don't really know where else you can get a plasma now. I've been looking, trying to keep my options open. There are a couple in town but they're all floor models. I could get a new 6650 for $700, which is what the floor model in town is selling for, so if the panny doesn't work out I might get that one. People are selling them for more than they were originally selling for. It's disheartening. But oh well. I could still get that 5300 that's in town for less than $600 but I just don't know if I can get past the pink tint. It about drove me crazy in the store. I hope you don't have that issue.

Get some pictures up already.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page