Full 5.1 output from Panny TC-P50 GT30? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Full 5.1 output from Panny TC-P50 GT30?

Tried posting this on the Official GT30 thread, but not much action...
Sorry if this has been asked before, but can I get the optical Digital Audio Out on my Panasonic GT30 to output full 5.1 channel PCM? I just picked up a Roku 3, but it only has HDMI out to the TV and my old Yamaha RX-V3000 has no HDMI inputs, only old style digital audio inputs ( RCA Coax and Toslink Optical). When I listen to something from the TV's Optical output via my Yamaha receiver (like movies from my Xfinity X1 box or the Roku), the receiver shows it's defaulting to Dolby Pro Logic, not Dolby Digital, and of course I can tell it's definitely not in 5.1, like my DVD player which streams directly to the receiver instead of through the TV. Any way to get the TV to output 5.1?? I can't afford to upgrade my receiver to newer HDMI capable unit :-(.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked: 1001
The only thing that will be 5.1 is either internal apps or ota. Any external source will be 2.1.
post #3 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunon View Post
The only thing that will be 5.1 is either internal apps or ota. Any external source will be 2.1.
So any HDMI input source (originally from a 5.1 device) to the TV will output from the TV's Digital Out as 2.1? Ugh! Is there a decent, reliable 3 input HDMI splitter/5.1 channel audio extractor someone can recommend?

Last edited by Noonin; 06-16-2015 at 03:29 PM.
post #4 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noonin View Post
So any HDMI input source (originally from a 5.1 device) to the TV will output from the TV's Digital Out as 2.1? Ugh! Is there a splitter that can take the 5.1 signal out of the HDMI so I can send it to my receiver?

http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Converter-Extractor-Splitter-De-embedder/dp/B00ISQ8VB8
post #5 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 03:34 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.amazon.com/Panlong-Converter-Extractor-Splitter-De-embedder/dp/B00ISQ8VB8
Thanks chunon,
Saw a couple brands on Amazon, but most had at least 10% neg. feedback due to reliability/audio problems, but maybe that's not too bad? Have you tried the Panlong brand before?
post #6 of 12 Old 06-16-2015, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Thanks chunon,
Saw a couple brands on Amazon, but most had at least 10% neg. feedback due to reliability/audio problems, but maybe that's not too bad? Have you tried the Panlong brand before?
No experience sorry but Amazon is great about accepting returns no questions asked
post #7 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 05:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
No experience sorry but Amazon is great about accepting returns no questions asked
Yeah, Amazon is really good if it's "Sold and Shipped" from Amazon.

Just realized my Xfinity X1 box was set to Stereo instead of Surround, so I rechecked my receiver, and it's getting a 5.1 signal for cable TV, and should on any movies we rent from Comcast. Now it's only the Roku 3 that needs the 5.1 audio signal captured from HDMI, which is good since that won't require the more expensive 3 port HDMI splitter/extractor that would drive my wife NUTS to add yet another different remote step to think about to watch a movie.
Thanks!
post #8 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 07:51 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 425 Post(s)
Liked: 722
Quote:
Thanks chunon,
I have this exact unit and it worked perfectly when i was using it on two different Panny Plasmas last year. I was getting 5.1 audio from my Tivo to my Onkyo receiver using this extractor.

And yes, the TV's optical out only outputs 2 channel stereo from external sources (such as a cable box or Roku etc) plugged into the TV's HDMI inputs.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #9 of 12 Old 06-17-2015, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
I have this exact unit and it worked perfectly when i was using it on two different Panny Plasmas last year. I was getting 5.1 audio from my Tivo to my Onkyo receiver using this extractor.

And yes, the TV's optical out only outputs 2 channel stereo from external sources (such as a cable box or Roku etc) plugged into the TV's HDMI inputs.

post #10 of 12 Old 01-11-2016, 08:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Thanks Randy,
I'll give it a shot. Really disappointing TVs can't just pass the 5.1 signal, especially since it's a digital output and figured that meant it would be 5.1. Guess the DRM won't allow it .
i'm in the same boat with a sammy - i have a firestick and would love 5.1. i see this item is no longer available. any other recommendations?

eddieras
post #11 of 12 Old 01-11-2016, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Try this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddieras View Post
i'm in the same boat with a sammy - i have a firestick and would love 5.1. i see this item is no longer available. any other recommendations?
eddieras,
there is hope :-).I ended up with this...

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o08_s00

It works with any source that streams Dolby Digital 5.1, like Amazon Prime. I ran the HDMI from my Roku through it, and plugged the J-Tech extractor Optical Out into my receiver, and I get full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. The only caveat is with a Dolby Digital+ signal, the one used by Netflix, you will still only get Dolby Pro Logic 2.1. The Dolby Digital+ codec signal can not be separated from the digital bitstream (or decoded by my receiver), apparently, so anything streamed from Netflix to an older, non-HDMI equipped HT receiver like mine, will only get Dolby Pro Logic 2.1 sound :-(.
post #12 of 12 Old 01-11-2016, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
eddieras,
there is hope :-).I ended up with this...

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B...ilpage_o08_s00

It works with any source that streams Dolby Digital 5.1, like Amazon Prime. I ran the HDMI from my Roku through it, and plugged the J-Tech extractor Optical Out into my receiver, and I get full Dolby Digital 5.1 surround. The only caveat is with a Dolby Digital+ signal, the one used by Netflix, you will still only get Dolby Pro Logic 2.1. The Dolby Digital+ codec signal can not be separated from the digital bitstream (or decoded by my receiver), apparently, so anything streamed from Netflix to an older, non-HDMI equipped HT receiver like mine, will only get Dolby Pro Logic 2.1 sound :-(.
thanks so much - i'm going to pick one up!

eddieras
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page