Panasonic VT30-65 audio output question - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-16-2015, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Panasonic VT30-65 audio output question

This is kind of a nooby question but I have not needed to use an antenna in the past. I recently cut the cord and bought an amplified antenna to get my locals. Video is coming good but I have the TV speakers turned off because I use a Pioneer VSX53 receiver. The receiver is connected to the TV's HDMI1 and the antenna is plugged into the coax input. Is there any way to get the TV to output the audio from the antenna to my AV receiver? From what I can tell, all of the HDMI and other connectors are inputs. Is there any way to get my locals coming through my surround system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-16-2015, 07:44 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked: 766
Quote:
Originally Posted by patseguin View Post
This is kind of a nooby question but I have not needed to use an antenna in the past. I recently cut the cord and bought an amplified antenna to get my locals. Video is coming good but I have the TV speakers turned off because I use a Pioneer VSX53 receiver. The receiver is connected to the TV's HDMI1 and the antenna is plugged into the coax input. Is there any way to get the TV to output the audio from the antenna to my AV receiver? From what I can tell, all of the HDMI and other connectors are inputs. Is there any way to get my locals coming through my surround system?
Connect an optical toslink cable from the TV's optical output to the receiver's optical audio input. The TV will send a line-level digital audio signal to the receiver when the TV is on TV Tuner mode. You can still leave the TV's speakers off (or just turned all the way down).

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #3 of 6 Old 06-17-2015, 05:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 84
You could use the HDMI ARC port on the tv to get audio out to the AVR just using one cable between the two. On the tv one of the HDMI ports will be marked this way. Not sure about the Pioneer. I used this feature on my ST30 and panasonic HT1B. You have to turn on HDMI control in the tv and AVR to make this work. Also you may need a HI Speed HDMI cable to use this function.

post #4 of 6 Old 06-17-2015, 10:16 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by whipit View Post
You could use the HDMI ARC port on the tv to get audio out to the AVR just using one cable between the two. On the tv one of the HDMI ports will be marked this way. Not sure about the Pioneer. I used this feature on my ST30 and panasonic HT1B. You have to turn on HDMI control in the tv and AVR to make this work. Also you may need a HI Speed HDMI cable to use this function.
Yep you're right. After hours trying to figure it out, I found that the cables were blocking the labels on the inputs on the TV. HDMI 1 was the ARC input. Once I moved the cable, it worked!
post #5 of 6 Old 06-17-2015, 10:18 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Connect an optical toslink cable from the TV's optical output to the receiver's optical audio input. The TV will send a line-level digital audio signal to the receiver when the TV is on TV Tuner mode. You can still leave the TV's speakers off (or just turned all the way down).
Yeah I know I could have done it that way. I wanted to use HDMI and avoid having to use toslink. I found out that HDMI 1 was my ARC port, not HDMI 2.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-20-2017, 09:19 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I didn't want to start a new thread for my question, so hopefully it's ok to ask here. I've had a P65VT30 for over 4 years. For some reason, I can't plug in a TOSLINK cable due to the port being partially blocked by an internal metal frame. So I've never utilized the features of Veracast. Recently, I figured out how to get ARC to work with my Marantz pre/pro. And it works perfectly with Amazon Prime Video. I receive DD 5.1 and the video looks awesome - even better than Netflix through my Oppo BDP105D for some reason (smoother, more vivid colors and excellent black level). But my question is, how do I get Netflix and/or the Panny to output DD 5.1 to my pre/pro? I'm only able to get PCM with Netflix. And being as my TOSLINK port is useless, it's become a rather frustrating task. Heck, I can't even find any settings for Netflix through the Panny. If anyone reads this and can shed some light, I would greatly appreciate it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page