Shipping a Plasma Cross Country - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By QuiGonJosh

post #1 of 7 Old 06-22-2015, 02:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Question Shipping a Plasma Cross Country

So I've owned my lovely 65" S64 plasma for a couple years now, and I intend to take it with me from Texas to Chicago (OLED isn't quite at the point for me to upgrade yet).

I am using a moving company, but I'm pretty worried about them damaging this discontinued TV and then only giving $50 me because it's only 85 lbs (60 cents per pound!). I'm looking into extra insurance. I called Ceva Logistics and they quoted me $85 for the trip, but they may or may not have a box for the TV.

I'm thinking of calling Panasonic and seeing if I can buy the original box from them, just so the TV will be safe.

Really just want to know if anyone has any advice for this, or if someone else has done this.

I'd be pretty heartbroken to lose this TV.

Thanks guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-22-2015, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked: 66
I'm moving a 60 inch Samsung 500 miles this week. I was lucky and kept the box, so no worries. But I did buy one of the U-Haul TV Moving Kit boxes for my 50 inch plasma and it worked quite well. Just make sure to wrap it in a soft blanket and uses pillows or quilts to pack it securely.

http://www.uhaul.com/MovingSupplies/...V-Kit?id=16343
traquer likes this.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-22-2015, 10:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked: 129
Should have kept the original box.....
post #4 of 7 Old 06-23-2015, 04:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWetmore View Post
Should have kept the original box.....
Wish I could have, but it was pretty unfeasible. I live in a one bedroom apartment and the box took up half my living room. I still held on to it for over six months!
post #5 of 7 Old 06-23-2015, 12:12 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cradle6 View Post
Wish I could have, but it was pretty unfeasible. I live in a one bedroom apartment and the box took up half my living room. I still held on to it for over six months!

Future reference--break it down and put it under your mattress or bed. (remove the stables).

51" Samsung 3D Smart PDP F8500 | Sony BDPS5200 3D | Yamaha RX-V659 | B&W 601 S3
post #6 of 7 Old 06-23-2015, 12:29 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked: 264
FYI, the plasma TV that I got from B&H traveled from NY to NM without being damaged.

The box was a bit roughed up, but there was thick foam inside and, if you were to add some blanks yourself, I'm sure you'd be fine.

Yippee-ki-yay...
post #7 of 7 Old 06-26-2015, 04:56 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 1
There's some nice shipping boxes on Ebay too that go up to 70" and look sturdier than the Uhaul deal (sorry new member can't post links yet): ebay. com /itm/TV-Moving-Shipping-Kit-Complete-FREE-SHIP-NEW-65-75-Flat-Panel-LED-LCD-Plasma-/200925342308?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec815 6a64

Also, put a bunch of "do not tilt" stickers on it, or even better, but one of those indicators that show if a box has been tilted past a certain point and if so you can have proof of damage. One like this: kepinn .com /product-details/TiltWatch-Intelligent-Tilt-Warning-Labels--9501578.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
plasma , shipping

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page