Samsung F5300, 96hz or 72hz Input - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 12:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Samsung F5300, 96hz or 72hz Input

I hear cinema smooth has better black level due to the higher refresh of 96hz.
It can only be activated by default with 24fps input though.

Have any of you gamers out there managed to input the full 96hz or perhaps 72hz? I would even be happy with 48hz and cinema smooth to get the better black level.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 01:14 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik James View Post
I hear cinema smooth has better black level due to the higher refresh of 96hz.
It can only be activated by default with 24fps input though.

Have any of you gamers out there managed to input the full 96hz or perhaps 72hz? I would even be happy with 48hz and cinema smooth to get the better black level.
That's simply not possible as consumer plasmas can only accept either 24hz, 30hz or 60hz. My Panasonic S64 for example can output in 48hz, and my Samsung F5300 in 96hz, but because my PC can only send 24hz in this mode, horrible judder is present on both plasmas, far worse than playing 30fps console games, so it's not really playable.
post #3 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 01:54 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
That's simply not possible as consumer plasmas can only accept either 24hz, 30hz or 60hz. My Panasonic S64 for example can output in 48hz, and my Samsung F5300 in 96hz, but because my PC can only send 24hz in this mode, horrible judder is present on both plasmas, far worse than playing 30fps console games, so it's not really playable.

Generally true, however some displays can be pushed further than manufacturer design for refresh rates. I was just curious if anyone from the gaming community had tried this yet for this display.

EDIT: You forgot 50hz and at least a few others if we are to be speaking in absolutes.

Last edited by Mik James; Yesterday at 01:59 PM.
post #4 of 6 Unread Yesterday, 03:13 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
Generally true, however some displays can be pushed further than manufacturer design for refresh rates. I was just curious if anyone from the gaming community had tried this yet for this display.

EDIT: You forgot 50hz and at least a few others if we are to be speaking in absolutes.

Pushing for an unofficial refresh rate is one thing, applying Cinema Smooth at such refresh rate is quite another. It wasn't that long ago Samsung plasmas actually had worse black level when Cinema Smooth was engaged. And in my F5300B's case, black level improvement from Cinema Smooth is negligible because floating black makes hard to appreciate Cinema Smooth's improved black level. Either way, the F5300 does not come close to my Panasonic S64 for majority of contents when black level is considered. Unfortunate, but that's the price for obtaining much superior ABL. APL distribution is rather similiar between the two.

Speaking of 50hz, my video card can also send 25hz, but neither of my plasmas recognize such input as a movie signal, hence, no Cinema Smooth. So really, all consumer plasmas have two working grounds. One, any multiples of 24hz (48hz,72hz,96hz etc) that can only work with 24hz input signal. Two, a single 60hz container that can contain multiple refresh rates such as 25hz, 30hz, and 60hz.

Last edited by KOF; Yesterday at 03:18 PM.
post #5 of 6 Unread Today, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOF View Post
Pushing for an unofficial refresh rate is one thing, applying Cinema Smooth at such refresh rate is quite another. It wasn't that long ago Samsung plasmas actually had worse black level when Cinema Smooth was engaged. And in my F5300B's case, black level improvement from Cinema Smooth is negligible because floating black makes hard to appreciate Cinema Smooth's improved black level. Either way, the F5300 does not come close to my Panasonic S64 for majority of contents when black level is considered. Unfortunate, but that's the price for obtaining much superior ABL. APL distribution is rather similiar between the two.

Speaking of 50hz, my video card can also send 25hz, but neither of my plasmas recognize such input as a movie signal, hence, no Cinema Smooth. So really, all consumer plasmas have two working grounds. One, any multiples of 24hz (48hz,72hz,96hz etc) that can only work with 24hz input signal. Two, a single 60hz container that can contain multiple refresh rates such as 25hz, 30hz, and 60hz.

Well, it doesn't sound like cinema smooth has a different mll just because they felt like implementing it that way.
From what I have read it appears the black level is lower due to the fact that cinema smooth operates at 96hz and does not need the same pixel initialization time (mll). Perhaps this is why cinema smooth used to have poorer mll, I believe it ran at 48hz in the past until people reported flicker.

I wish I was able to find a recent Panasonic Plasma.
My local kijiji (Canadian craigslist) is essentially a graveyard of Panasonic plasma manufactured from the early 2000's up to around 2010, but I have yet to see a pansonic plasma from 2012 or 2013 since they stopped production. Those of us who don't have that option are just stuck waiting for oled.
post #6 of 6 Unread Today, 05:40 PM
KOF
Advanced Member

Quote:
From what I have read it appears the black level is lower due to the fact that cinema smooth operates at 96hz and does not need the same pixel initialization time (mll). Perhaps this is why cinema smooth used to have poorer mll, I believe it ran at 48hz in the past until people reported flicker.
No. Both the Samsung D8000 and the E8000 used 96hz. The F8500 wasn't an exception either. Only on its second year run, the F8500's CS started having better MLL and that carried over to the F5300B and the H5000.

I think only people who reported flicker on 48hz were Panasonic owners. I am one of them. My Panasonic S64 does have a bit unbearable flicker.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays