Very Specific Panasonic buzz question (with photos) - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters
post #1 of 8 Old 08-01-2015, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Question Very Specific Panasonic buzz question (with photos)

Hey there

I know about the long and storied past of buzzing Panasonic panels and believe me, I've searched for the answer to my question and I've come up empty.

TH-42PX80U 42 inch 720p, made in May 2008

I took off the back and isolated exactly where the buzz is coming from. The buzz is louder when the image on the screen is brighter. It's quite loud.

Here's the rear:

The buzz is coming from this board:

Specifically, this little guy is making the buzz (center of the photo with the yellow tape around it):

My question: is there anything I can do to minimize this piece's buzzing?

Second question: if the answer to the first Q is no- does anyone have any idea what it would cost to take this somewhere and have that buzzing piece replaced.

Thanks so much and I apologize for asking something that I'm sure has been asked in the past (I just couldn't find an answer no matter how many buzzing threads I searched through).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-01-2015, 03:16 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Thing is, buzzing is not something that is defective. It's inherent with Plasma technology. It's not a buzzing tube or a chip that needs to be replaced with a non-buzzing one. Lurking around you may see a few people that have Plasmas that claim theirs does not buzz. I'm not buying that. I think they just don't hear it. I have 2 Plasmas of different brands and they both buzz, albeit in different ways, but they both still buzz.

People here have had Samsung and Panasonic "repair" their sets, screens replaced, tightened or loosened screws and the buzzing still happens. The sound is coming out from the screen and that's just they are designed. At this point, save your money and don't look to pay a technician that claims they can stop the buzzing by charing you to replace a part they claim causes the buzzing. Chances are after you've paid them you will be disappointed with the results. Just ignore it and enjoy they beautiful unmatched PQ that Plasmas are famous for. Good thing you're not dealing with an LCD TV. There would be a lot more things you'd be trying to have "fixed" that are not repairable.
post #3 of 8 Old 08-01-2015, 03:37 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Dan.

I absolutely understand what you're saying. And yes, this set has always buzzed a little. So have all of my friend's Panasonics. It's just how they work.

Mine has currently gotten much louder and that's why I started this topic. I had the tv in storage for a few months, took it out, plugged it in and was greeted by the much amplified buzz that stands out quite a bit unless the volume is raised.

But regardless, your point is well taken. I was just looking for some sort of quick fix/clever thing people here might know about regarding my situation.
post #4 of 8 Old 08-03-2015, 07:00 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked: 603
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2112 2 View Post
.....Mine has currently gotten much louder and that's why I started this topic. I had the tv in storage for a few months, took it out, plugged it in and was greeted by the much amplified buzz that stands out quite a bit unless the volume is raised....I was just looking for some sort of quick fix/clever thing people here might know about regarding my situation.
The TV should be fixable.

That appears to be a transformer, a common failure point on electronic devices and is a common source of excessive vibration and buzzing when they go bad or come loose from the board they're soldered to. There are companies out there that successfully repair bad Panasonic boards. Many defective excessively buzzing Plasmas have been successfully repaired when the source of the buzzing was a defective transformer or coil or board.

Can you identify exactly which board it's on? You can either buy a used or refurbished board, or have yours repaired.

One good place that has repaired boards for AVSers is ModusLink PTS

http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/...ir-and-return/

And there are Panasonic service techs on Ebay that can repair your board.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 08-03-2015 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo
post #5 of 8 Old 08-03-2015, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you very much Randy!

It's the powersupply board, specifically the switching transformer circuit reference T601 that is the source of my buzz.

I never even considered ebay, but as I search, I think I now have an idea of what I can do.

Thank you very, very much Randy.
post #6 of 8 Old 08-03-2015, 08:09 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak2112 2 View Post
Thank you very much Randy!

It's the powersupply board, specifically the switching transformer circuit reference T601 that is the source of my buzz.

I never even considered ebay, but as I search, I think I now have an idea of what I can do.

Thank you very, very much Randy.
Maybe try gently pushing on that buzzing power supply transformer with a pencil eraser (to isolate you) and see if you can get it to stop buzzing. And examine the transformer for hairline cracks. You may be able to just re-solder it where it attaches to the circuit board.

I found a few old links that may be useful:

Panasonic TH-42PX80U Repair Adventure

!!! FOUND !!! Fix for BUZZ on Panasonic PLASMA 2010

PX80U Service Manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24963802/1...Plasma-Display

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
post #7 of 8 Old Yesterday, 03:07 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Maybe try gently pushing on that buzzing power supply transformer with a pencil eraser (to isolate you) and see if you can get it to stop buzzing. And examine the transformer for hairline cracks. You may be able to just re-solder it where it attaches to the circuit board.

I found a few old links that may be useful:

Panasonic TH-42PX80U Repair Adventure

!!! FOUND !!! Fix for BUZZ on Panasonic PLASMA 2010

PX80U Service Manual:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/24963802/1...Plasma-Display

I did exactly as you said and discovered that a bit of pressure on the buzzing component silenced the buzz so I got some zip ties and did exactly what was prescribed in the link you posted.

Bingo! Worked like a charm. It was tricky getting the zip tie loop on there due to a big heat shield I couldn't remove, but two zip tie loops around the buzzing part and I am back to a nice, quiet plasma.

Thank you Randy. I can't say that enough. Don't know if this is a long term fix, but it feels great to fix it and I get to enjoy some more time with this old set.
post #8 of 8 Unread Today, 06:40 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK2112 View Post
Randy, I love you. I did exactly as you said and discovered that a bit of pressure on the buzzing component silenced the buzz so I got some zip ties and did exactly what was prescribed in the link you posted. Bingo! Worked like a charm. It was tricky getting the zip tie loop on there due to a big heat shield I couldn't remove, but two zip tie loops around the buzzing part and I am back to a nice, quiet plasma.

Thank you Randy. I can't say that enough. Don't know if this is a long term fix, but it feels great to fix it and I get to enjoy some more time with this old set.
You're welcome ! I keep maintaining over the years here that a Plasma that buzzes excessively loud means there's something wrong with it, especially if the TV had been quiet since new then suddenly starts buzzing loudly. This has happened to lots of people here and lots of them were able to have their TVs repaired successfully. I have 5 Plasmas; four are virtually silent at 1-2 feet away but my oldest one has been slowly getting louder as the years go by (i can hear it at 5 feet, but nobody else seems to be able to hear it from that far away).

I would say wrapping the failing transformer with zip ties is a temporary "Band-Aid" fix - the transformer may eventually end up failing completely but at least you now know that the TV is repairable and you won't have to settle what so many people claim is "normal plasma buzzing". I would get the exact part number of your zip-tied power supply board and order a new/used/refurbished board from Ebay or ModusLink http://www.moduslinkptstvboards.com/ or other online sources then keep your zip-tied board as a spare, or just send it out for repair since you now know that it can be fixed.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page