Are there high-end plasma TV's with low input lag for gaming? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
post #1 of 11 Old 08-03-2015, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Are there high-end plasma TV's with low input lag for gaming?

I see a high-end TV for gaming and I know all about plasma's high static contrast ratio, excellent motion, calibration settings, etc. However, the one thing that worries me is the input lag, which should be relatively low (sub-30ms) for me to enjoy single-player games. Is there such a plasma available? I know Panasonic and Samsung discontinued sales, but I figured somewhere someone may sell them still, but I would be interested only if it had low-enough input lag.

Please recommend!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-03-2015, 05:28 PM

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masharak View Post
I see a high-end TV for gaming and I know all about plasma's high static contrast ratio, excellent motion, calibration settings, etc. However, the one thing that worries me is the input lag, which should be relatively low (sub-30ms) for me to enjoy single-player games. Is there such a plasma available? I know Panasonic and Samsung discontinued sales, but I figured somewhere someone may sell them still, but I would be interested only if it had low-enough input lag.

Please recommend!
The best plasma I've used for gaming has been my Pioneer Elite pro101fd. I haven't measured the actual input lag, but if there is any it's absolutely imperceptible. The panasonic zt60 with gaming mode on is also very playable, and has very little lag.

I would avoid the samsung f8500 for gaming as its lag is very noticeable even with game mode on. That being said my parents have an older samsung plasma (higher end one I can't recall the model number) and gaming on it is awesome.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-03-2015, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 28
post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 06:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
So the answer is NO - there are no high-end plasma TV's with input lag below 30ms. None are good for gaming IMHO. That is AWFUL!

Thanks for the info though!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 182 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
So the answer is NO - there are no high-end plasma TV's with input lag below 30ms. None are good for gaming IMHO. That is AWFUL! Thanks for the info though!
I thought the Samsung 8500 and maybe the high-end Panny (ZT ?) was close to 30 ms.
post #6 of 11 Old 08-05-2015, 06:24 PM

Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked: 60
I've played many games on the F8500 in PC mode an the lag was fine. Really not a problem.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-06-2015, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
So the answer is NO - there are no high-end plasma TV's with input lag below 30ms. None are good for gaming IMHO. That is AWFUL!

Well, it depends on what gaming you are doing.

Casual - single and even some multiplayer are fine with some plasma's like for example my F5300 at 36-37ms

Intense / Competitive - multiplayer like BF4 (of which I have about 1200+ hrs) should be played on PC (with a PC monitor) ... IMH

And, I agree it is AWFUL and we all wait for an improvement.

#1 Calibration Disk / Best Support: Ted's LightSpace CMS Calibration Disk
#1 Calibration Software / Best Support: LightSpace CMS - Calibration Comparison
post #8 of 11 Old 08-08-2015, 07:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1314 Post(s)
Liked: 1307
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I thought the Samsung 8500 and maybe the high-end Panny (ZT ?) was close to 30 ms.
the f8500 is more like 60ms in game mode, and 45-50ms in pc mode.

i honestly find that completely acceptable. it was the 120ms without either mode activated that threw me.

but i'm assuming OP wants 'gaming monitor' like input lag, and i think there's only a handful of tv's that offer sub 20-30ms input lag, none of which are what i would consider 'high end'. unfortunately in order to get high end picture on today's flat panels you need a lot of processing. that processing causes lag

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1018AH, 5.1 audio
Sources: HTPC(Mediabrowser), PS3, XBOX360, Wii, Sony DVP-CX995V
Control: Harmony One
post #9 of 11 Old 08-08-2015, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 200
Quote:

Not to say that your question is not a valid one, but the Plasma TV was designed with the Videophile in mind. For the consumer who wants the best PQ, a movie buff or a sports buff. Nothing to date "overall" has matched the Plasma in that respect which is why Videophiles preferred it, but they were never intended to be a gaming TV in the sense for high intensive gaming where every millisecond counts.

Also at this point it really doesn't matter because even if there were high-end Plasmas with low lag it's not like you could easily find one of your choice. Panasonics were discontinued over a year ago and Samsung's high-end set stopped production last November. If you found anything out there it would be more like taking what's available and it may not suit your needs. For gaming just get an LCD TV. They are not nearly as superior as a Plasma but they are much better in terms of low latency.
post #10 of 11 Unread Yesterday, 09:55 PM
KOF
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 149
The Panasonic PB2U may be perfect for your needs. I consider the Samsung F8500, Pioneer Kuro 500M/101FD + ABL mod, Panasonic PB2U as the three of 4 heavenly kings of gaming displays (the other one is Sony OLED BVM) and the PB2U is definitely the snappiest among the three. Like many professional Panasonic plasmas, it should have 9ms~12ms of input lag, and even lower if one uses DVI/VGA.
post #11 of 11 Unread Today, 12:12 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
it was the 120ms without either mode activated that threw me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page