My Less Than 2 Years Old ZT60 Is Dead! - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
  • 2 Post By RandyWalters
  • 2 Post By mailiang
  • 2 Post By jasondjulian
  • 1 Post By paranoyd androyd

post #1 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My Less Than 2 Years Old ZT60 Is Dead!

Upon power up last week, I saw a spark in the lower right corner of the screen. My ZT blinks 7 times and repeats that pattern without fully powering up.

A Panasonic authorized technician made a house call and said the panel has a small crack and one of the boards blew but this would be a costly repair because a new panel/module would be needed. He quoted around $2200!!! Just a couple of days ago the tech said he had located a refurbished panel which will reduce the costs by $1000 but I'm leery of putting a refurbished panel in my ZT. There is no guarantee that the panel will have it's own set issues and after repair will the set perform to the same level that i was accustomed to.

What to do?

Equipment:

Classe SSP-600 Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Oppo 95, Roku Streaming Stick, Primare SPA21 Integrated Amp, Cary Audio 306/200CD, Bel Canto Dac3, Schitt Lyr headphone amp, Hifiman HE-500 Cans, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 Panel, Sonus faber Luito floorstanders, Sonus faber Luito monitors, Sonus faber Smart CC, REL T2 sub
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 01:31 PM

Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by arftech View Post
Upon power up last week, I saw a spark in the lower right corner of the screen. My ZT blinks 7 times and repeats that pattern without fully powering up.

A Panasonic authorized technician made a house call and said the panel has a small crack and one of the boards blew but this would be a costly repair because a new panel/module would be needed. He quoted around $2200!!! Just a couple of days ago the tech said he had located a refurbished panel which will reduce the costs by $1000 but I'm leery of putting a refurbished panel in my ZT. There is no guarantee that the panel will have it's own set issues and after repair will the set perform to the same level that i was accustomed to.

What to do?
I'm curious how can they refurbish panel? If you were to repair it I would make it clear to the repair man that anything other than a near perfect Picture quality would be unacceptable. Because if it's a refurbished panel that means it was used and could have burn in or other defect and you certainly don't want to pay a $1000 for that. Good luck with your decision
post #3 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcapprotti View Post
I'm curious how can they refurbish panel? If you were to repair it I would make it clear to the repair man that anything other than a near perfect Picture quality would be unacceptable. Because if it's a refurbished panel that means it was used and could have burn in or other defect and you certainly don't want to pay a $1000 for that. Good luck with your decision
Thanks man! As hard as it is for me to say this I'm leaning towards to junking it. It saddens me to look at my ZT every time I go into the room where my equipment is and I'm thinking about draping a black funeral cloth over it.

Man, my heart is broken!!!

Equipment:

Classe SSP-600 Pre-Pro, Krell KAV-500 3 Channel Amp, Oppo 95, Roku Streaming Stick, Primare SPA21 Integrated Amp, Cary Audio 306/200CD, Bel Canto Dac3, Schitt Lyr headphone amp, Hifiman HE-500 Cans, Panasonic TC-P60ZT60 Panel, Sonus faber Luito floorstanders, Sonus faber Luito monitors, Sonus faber Smart CC, REL T2 sub
post #4 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Thanks man! As hard as it is for me to say this I'm leaning towards to junking it. It saddens me to look at my ZT every time I go into the room where my equipment is and I'm thinking about draping a black funeral cloth over it.

Man, my heart is broken!!!
I was trying to think of what they could have fixed on the panel. Maybe it could've been something as simple as a connection to the panel.that's the problem with a part that's been used or maybe the panel was never used because maybe it never powered up what it was new. I know it's a gamble you're talking to somebody who's working on their third pioneer elite the first two the displays were bad on them thank God I still had warranty I'll be receiving my third one this Monday. But for $1000 it's almost worth the gamble. Like I said good luck on your decision
post #5 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 05:17 PM

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Just speculating here, I know no facts, but...

"Refurbished panel" might mean a panel that was taken out of another TV that they accepted return of for some reason unrelated to the panel and then they scavenged the panel from the TV and put it into refurbished stock?

'course, that might mean that the panel has someone else's burn-in on it...
post #6 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 05:19 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 403 Post(s)
Liked: 116
Quote:

What to do?
Where are you located?
post #7 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by highfigh View Post
Where are you located?
I'm in Maryland. Thanks...

Equipment:

post #8 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 07:35 PM
wse
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1098 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Exclamation

Quote:

What to do?
Sorry for your loss two years that's unfortunate!

That's what I would do

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-55EC9300-oled-tv

or

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-65EC9700-oled-tv

and with real deep pockets http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-77EG9700-oled-tv
post #9 of 18 Old 08-07-2015, 11:05 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 33
As a longtime Panasonic plasma owner, my sincere condolences.
Did you have an extended warranty for the ZT60?
Or did you purchase it with a credit card (like Visa or Mastercard) that adds a year to the Panasonic's 1-year warranty?
Either may cover this if its less than 2 years since you purchased the set new.

I've had good luck with my two Panasonic plasmas.
My first one I bought in 2008, a 46PZ80 1080p plasma - still working fine, but I gave it to my brother when I bought a new one in 2013, a 50ST50 1080p 3D plasma and still using that as my media room HDTV.
Only issue I had was some buzzing recently when bright scenes, so I did internet research and found the easy solution to replace and tighten the screws that mount 3 of the circuit boards. I did that this past week and it worked great, no detectable buzzing now even with a full 100% white screen even better than when it was new! Only cost me $5+shipping for the set of replacement screws with good lockwashers and took me a little over an hour to do the work.

Last edited by BriscoCountyJr; 08-07-2015 at 11:11 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 08-08-2015, 07:19 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked: 605
Quote:
I was trying to think of what they could have fixed on the panel. Maybe it could've been something as simple as a connection to the panel.that's the problem with a part that's been used or maybe the panel was never used because maybe it never powered up what it was new....
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspawn View Post
Just speculating here, I know no facts, but..."Refurbished panel" might mean a panel that was taken out of another TV that they accepted return of for some reason unrelated to the panel and then they scavenged the panel from the TV and put it into refurbished stock? 'course, that might mean that the panel has someone else's burn-in on it...
On a "refurbished panel" the panel itself isn't refurbished or repaired, it's the panel's associated onboard electronics that are repaired (the permanently attached circuit boards and/or the circuits-on-flex or ribbons). Samsung panels have a lot more onboard electronics than Panasonic panels do (reduces manufacturing costs) which is why we see a lot of reference to refurbished panels in the various Samsung threads over the years but costs Samsung a lot more money to repair the TV under warranty when the panel is good but a video board has failed. I presume a refurbished panel would be in good condition with no burn-in before being installed.

Several years ago when Plasmas were selling for $3,000-$4,000 it was cost effective for manufacturers to make extra panels to cover future warranty claims and replace a bad panel (panels cost roughly $1,000-$1,500), but as the prices of newer TVs came down it was more cost-effective for them to just replace the whole TV under warranty instead of incurring the cost of warehousing replacement panels and paying their service centers $600 labor on top of the $1,000 replacement panel cost to fix the TV.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #11 of 18 Old 08-08-2015, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
On a "refurbished panel" the panel itself isn't refurbished or repaired, it's the panel's associated onboard electronics that are repaired (the permanently attached circuit boards and/or the circuits-on-flex or ribbons). Samsung panels have a lot more onboard electronics than Panasonic panels do (reduces manufacturing costs) which is why we see a lot of reference to refurbished panels in the various Samsung threads over the years but costs Samsung a lot more money to repair the TV under warranty when the panel is good but a video board has failed. I presume a refurbished panel would be in good condition with no burn-in before being installed.

Several years ago when Plasmas were selling for $3,000-$4,000 it was cost effective for manufacturers to make extra panels to cover future warranty claims and replace a bad panel (panels cost roughly $1,000-$1,500), but as the prices of newer TVs came down it was more cost-effective for them to just replace the whole TV under warranty instead of incurring the cost of warehousing replacement panels and paying their service centers $600 labor on top of the $1,000 replacement panel cost to fix the TV.

post #12 of 18 Old 08-08-2015, 08:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 504 Post(s)
Liked: 423
Quote:
You're probably right because I forgot about the labor cost to. $1200 for the panel plus labor might be more than it's worth
Quote:
He quoted around $2200!!! Just a couple of days ago the tech said he had located a refurbished panel which will reduce the costs by $1000
I can only assume by the thread starter's post that the cost includes labor.

Ian
RandyWalters and rcapprotti like this.

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #13 of 18 Old 08-08-2015, 11:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 555 Post(s)
Liked: 289
Quote:

What to do?
If you paid for your TV with a credit card, double check with your credit card company as many double manufacturer's warranties on purchases made with the card, up to one additional year.
post #14 of 18 Old 08-08-2015, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post
I can only assume by the thread starter's post that the cost includes labor.

Ian
Then $1200 is the total cost I might take a gamble on that. But then again it's not my money
post #15 of 18 Old 08-09-2015, 10:25 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked: 202
While it's easy for me to say because it's not my money, but if I've got the funds I would take the refurb panel, especially since it was a ZT60. It's a premium television, let alone a Plasma which still kills everything on the market, IMO. The alternatives are horrible. The OP would either put the $1000 towards an LCD TV (Sadly) or spend even more money on an OLED and they just aren't ready for prime time.
post #16 of 18 Old 08-10-2015, 06:07 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 77
I'd take the refurb panel and have it repaired. As a general rule, I'll spend up to half what I paid for the unit in order to repair it (should that day ever come). Being that it is a ZT60 (a ZT-freaking-60!!!) it is worth, in my opinion, trying to get it back to running condition.

This is provided of course that the repair has some sort of warranty, guarantee, satisfaction clause, etc. I would want something in writing about the use of the refurb panel and that it was inspected, tested/checked for defects (which includes burn-in), etc. If you can learn details of the set it came from, that is even better. In all likelihood, it was just a scavenged panel from a non-working set for whatever reasons.

Short of spending $2300+ on an OLED (and the jury's still out on how long those will last long-term), you will not get anywhere near the excellent, near perfect PQ of the ZT60 on any tv on the market today; at least not within reasonable cost-equivalency.
Sonyboy and rcapprotti like this.

Panasonic TC-P55S60
Sony S5100 BD-Player
Sony HT-XT1 Sound Base
post #17 of 18 Old 08-15-2015, 02:09 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 135 Post(s)
Liked: 79
This is a no brainer, get the refurbished panel.
rcapprotti likes this.
post #18 of 18 Old Today, 12:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Like I said good luck on your decision
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page