Diagnosing a Pioneer PDP-5020FD
I am new here, actually this is my very first post.
I came across a Pioneer PDP-5020FD but it fails to fully turn on;
(it was like "You can take it if you think you can do anything with it...")
I've been trying to interpret the error codes as seen on the front,
basically this is the situation:
- the Main A/C Power Switch on the back is UP or On.
- The side Power On button is pressed.
- The Red LED comes on, on front, then goes out. Then...
- The Blue LED come on, on front, then briefly goes out.
- The Blue LED comes back on, flashing an additional SEVEN times, then nothing.
(So, is that 7 or 8 flashes of the Blue LED in total?)
I can hear the internal Relay Switch turn On briefly, then Off, within the span of a few seconds.
I've since taken the back cover off to see if I can find any obviously blown capacitors or other components, nothing obvious yet to the eye or nose.
There is a small on-board (surface mount) LED, RED in color, that is lit when the unit is Off, it goes out and a GREEN LED above it comes on when I try and turn the unit on, but it fails to power up and things revert back to Red On, Green Off.
(PS- This is on the Digital Assy PCB located 'above' the A/V Inputs and 'under' / 'next to' the A/C filter box that the Power Cord plugs into...)
Last things to mention;
1) I have a standard Volt/Ohm Meter, basic hand tools, and a decent soldering iron or two- but I no longer haul around Oscilloscopes, etc. (That was all last Century...)
2) This used unit came without a specific Remote Control. I'm hoping this isn't a deal breaker in some sort of "you can only perform function 'XYZ' with the Factory Remote...". I do have access to a fair range of programmable remotes, including a Harmony unit that should serve if need be.
3) I have found and downloaded the factory Service Manual. Its not as bad as people who like to say 'it's all Greek to me', but it does have a peculiar Panasonic-speak about it that makes being certain about a particular test or reference table a bit difficult.
Any help in verifying whether I am counting these blinks properly (as is it Seven or Eight I'm seeing), and determining if this unit is in 'Trap Mode' ( and how to get out of it) would be appreciated.
Thank you in advance,