What can replace quality of an Elite Kuro? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 7Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 94 Old 10-17-2015, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jlaavenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North of Houston
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What can replace quality of an Elite Kuro?

What can replace quality of an Elite Kuro? I think my Kuro might be dead. Repair shop has tried four times to fix it but the fix doesn't last. How does the LG 55inch OLED UHD compare?
jlaavenger is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 94 Old 10-17-2015, 02:47 PM
Member
 
mmbuckwa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Posts: 176
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 17
mmbuckwa is offline  
post #3 of 94 Old 10-17-2015, 02:55 PM
Senior Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 121
OLED, it's rated higher plus it can deliver deeper blacks and it's 4K, the flat has HDMI 2.0a so it's HDR ready whereas the curved will be able to do it only through streaming if you're interested in HDR. Another thing to note is that the 65' flat panels seem to be having yellow banding and vignetting problems.
kevinlg is online now  
post #4 of 94 Old 10-17-2015, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jlaavenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North of Houston
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
OLED, it's rated higher plus it can deliver deeper blacks and it's 4K, the flat has HDMI 2.0a so it's HDR ready whereas the curved will be able to do it only through streaming if you're interested in HDR. Another thing to note is that the 65' flat panels seem to be having yellow banding and vignetting problems.
I'm considering the 55" and HDR? I have DirecTV Genie, is that what you mean?
jlaavenger is offline  
post #5 of 94 Old 10-17-2015, 05:21 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jlaavenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North of Houston
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can someone explain the difference between OLED and 120 refresh Rate and an SUHD LED with 240 refresh rate? I always thought that the higher the refresh rate the better, except that the LG OLED seems to be considered the best TV out now.
jlaavenger is offline  
post #6 of 94 Old 10-17-2015, 08:27 PM
Senior Member
 
kevinlg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 427
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
I'm considering the 55" and HDR? I have DirecTV Genie, is that what you mean?
High Dynamic Range is something coming out next year, it's the new tech that will take 4K to the next level in terms of colors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
Can someone explain the difference between OLED and 120 refresh Rate and an SUHD LED with 240 refresh rate? I always thought that the higher the refresh rate the better, except that the LG OLED seems to be considered the best TV out now.
There is no refresh rate for the OLED, it's as fast as CRT. There is some lag apparently but I play in game and there is zero lag on any FPS or Forza 6.
kevinlg is online now  
post #7 of 94 Old 10-18-2015, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,718
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 695
OLED and LCD use Sample & Hold. Both have 300 lines of motion resolution when motion improvement options are turned off. Main difference is that LCd has slow pixel responce and OLED has fast pixel responce. 2009 Pioneer Plasma's have 1080 lines of motion resolution, no motion improvement options needed.

C|NET actual refresh rates of 2015 LCd TVs
http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

LG
UF7600 claimed TruMotion 120, actual 60Hz
All other 4K TVs claimed TruMotion 240, actual 120Hz

Panasonic
CX600 claimed Image Motion 120Hz, actual 60Hz
CX650/CX800 claimed Image Motion 240Hz, actual 120Hz
CX850 claimed 2400 BLS 4K IFC PRO, actual 120Hz

Sharp
All models as listed

Samsung
All models, half listed motion rate

Sony
All 4K models 120Hz

Vizio
Most E-series 60Hz
E65-C3, E70-C3 120Hz
M-series <60in 60Hz
M-series >/=60in 120Hz
8mile13 is offline  
post #8 of 94 Old 10-18-2015, 06:24 PM
Senior Member
 
ben88's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Posts: 203
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
OLED and LCD use Sample & Hold. Both have 300 lines of motion resolution when motion improvement options are turned off. Main difference is that LCd has slow pixel responce and OLED has fast pixel responce. 2009 Pioneer Plasma's have 1080 lines of motion resolution, no motion improvement options needed.

C|NET actual refresh rates of 2015 LCd TVs
http://www.cnet.com/news/ultra-hd-4k-tv-refresh-rates/

LG
UF7600 claimed TruMotion 120, actual 60Hz
All other 4K TVs claimed TruMotion 240, actual 120Hz

Panasonic
CX600 claimed Image Motion 120Hz, actual 60Hz
CX650/CX800 claimed Image Motion 240Hz, actual 120Hz
CX850 claimed 2400 BLS 4K IFC PRO, actual 120Hz

Sharp
All models as listed

Samsung
All models, half listed motion rate

Sony
All 4K models 120Hz

Vizio
Most E-series 60Hz
E65-C3, E70-C3 120Hz
M-series <60in 60Hz
M-series >/=60in 120Hz
Can you explain in more detail the idea of 300 lines of motion resolution vs. 1080 on the plasma. I have a 111fd but want to get a larger screen. I mainly watch sports and play games on my tv, does that mean it won't look as good on an oled or lcd as it does on my pioneer? I think sports look great on my tv.
ben88 is offline  
post #9 of 94 Old 10-19-2015, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,718
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben88 View Post
Can you explain in more detail the idea of 300 lines of motion resolution vs. 1080 on the plasma. I have a 111fd but want to get a larger screen. I mainly watch sports and play games on my tv, does that mean it won't look as good on an oled or lcd as it does on my pioneer? I think sports look great on my tv.
It is the combination of factors such as motion resolution, slow pixel response and the use of Sample & and Hold that has an impact on perceived motion.

I used LCd's in the past for my TV stuff. I checked out motion improvement options for months and eventually stopped using them. Basically LCd motion is barely good enough. When i switched to Plasma i noticed the positive impact decent motion has. Motion on a Plasma has a bit more balls, it is more convincing. When you are motion sensitive you will notice and appreciate the difference.

LCd has less motion clarity in fast motion and one has not always the idea that there is natural motion going on, so it is not convincing which can be distracting. That is what the motion improvement option is for. Those have side effects though which will become more noticable when you set these option beyond low.

Aside from motion option stuff like best sources (HD TV, blu-ray), proper viewing distance, proper viewing environment and pro-calibration will mask LCd's barely good enough motion.
8mile13 is offline  
post #10 of 94 Old 10-20-2015, 12:27 AM
Member
 
nemesis1218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm also interested in this. I have no need for anything 4k resolution. Is there anything in 1080p that is readily available is as good or better than the Kuro?
nemesis1218 is offline  
post #11 of 94 Old 10-20-2015, 07:48 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 18,831
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis1218 View Post
I'm also interested in this. I have no need for anything 4k resolution. Is there anything in 1080p that is readily available is as good or better than the Kuro?
Other than a 1080p OLED TV, nothing else currently on the market can compare.

A used Panasonic ST60/VT60/ZT60 or Samsung F8500 Plasma may be an option.



_______________________

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
RandyWalters is offline  
post #12 of 94 Old 10-20-2015, 10:43 AM
Member
 
nemesis1218's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 43
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Other than a 1080p OLED TV, nothing else currently on the market can compare.

A used Panasonic ST60/VT60/ZT60 or Samsung F8500 Plasma may be an option.



_______________________

Which OLED models are comparable or better in the 60-65" range?
nemesis1218 is offline  
post #13 of 94 Old 10-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member
 
qwknuf6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis1218 View Post
Which OLED models are comparable or better in the 60-65" range?
LG is the only option for OLED , 55" or 65" for now
qwknuf6 is online now  
post #14 of 94 Old 10-22-2015, 07:54 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Valnar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Cleveland, OH
Posts: 1,886
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 19
You might be a couple years too late, but if you can find a Panasonic VT60 or ZT60 Plasma TV, I consider those the best of the best.
Valnar is offline  
post #15 of 94 Old 10-22-2015, 09:09 AM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 513
I don't know why people are mentioning OLED. Besides blacks the LG is not as good with

Motion resolution and motion in general
Uniformity
Shadow details
I think color is still an issue too

Kind of a personal preference but OLED doesn't have that organic picture plasmas have. It's more like LCD where it's excessively clean and too sharp.


Basically overall i still think the kuro is better. OLED still has improvements to do.
rcapprotti likes this.

home theater addict
saprano is online now  
post #16 of 94 Old 10-22-2015, 12:15 PM
Advanced Member
 
rcapprotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ocala fl
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Just buy another Kuro find one with low hours if at all possible
rcapprotti is offline  
post #17 of 94 Old 10-22-2015, 01:31 PM
Advanced Member
 
tubby497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by saprano View Post
I don't know why people are mentioning OLED. Besides blacks the LG is not as good with

Motion resolution and motion in general
Uniformity
Shadow details
I think color is still an issue too

Kind of a personal preference but OLED doesn't have that organic picture plasmas have. It's more like LCD where it's excessively clean and too sharp.


Basically overall i still think the kuro is better. OLED still has improvements to do.
Only major issue with current LG OLED is uniformity. Inaccurate colors/missing shadow details can be fixed through calibration. Motion is on par with Kuro.

Having an OLED for few weeks and comparing it to my tweaked KRP-500M, overall, LG is superior than Kuro in almost every PQ aspects. Unfortunately, it's been returned due to uniformity issues.

I have to agree with you that OLED tech still has improvements to do. But as of right now it's the best PQ consumer tv that you can buy.

Panasonic's OLED, CZ950 is supposed to be better than LG's OLED. Too bad its only available in Europe, curved, and 10K!
tubby497 is offline  
post #18 of 94 Old 10-22-2015, 03:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
Mik James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 1,071
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked: 81
I recently missed a deal on a Kuro 101fd 50" for 450$ (Canadian Dollars).

So yeah just buy another Kuro, or Panasonic plasma if you can't find a Kuro.
Mik James is offline  
post #19 of 94 Old 10-22-2015, 05:32 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
saprano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Bronx NY
Posts: 4,077
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 514 Post(s)
Liked: 513
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post
Only major issue with current LG OLED is uniformity. Inaccurate colors/missing shadow details can be fixed through calibration. Motion is on par with Kuro.

Having an OLED for few weeks and comparing it to my tweaked KRP-500M, overall, LG is superior than Kuro in almost every PQ aspects. Unfortunately, it's been returned due to uniformity issues.

I have to agree with you that OLED tech still has improvements to do. But as of right now it's the best PQ consumer tv that you can buy.

Panasonic's OLED, CZ950 is supposed to be better than LG's OLED. Too bad its only available in Europe, curved, and 10K!
Cool that you had it side by side and made an observation. I'm going to have to disagree based off what i've seen. I really see no reason to replace my kuro with OLED currently. We'll see how the Panasonic does. It'll be better than the LG i bet.

home theater addict
saprano is online now  
post #20 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
8mile13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 5,718
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1317 Post(s)
Liked: 695
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post
Motion is on par with Kuro.
Plasma has better motion than 300/400 lines of native motion resolution Sample & Hold LCd/OLED. So OLED motion cannot be on par with a 500M. Even most of those who reviewed the Panasonic OLED, which suppost to have better motion than the LG OLEDs, complained about motion. There have also been lots of complaints about limited OLED motion options (not everybody is into motion interpolation). Maybe something got wrong during the tweaking
8mile13 is offline  
post #21 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinlg View Post
High Dynamic Range is something coming out next year, it's the new tech that will take 4K to the next level in terms of colors.

It affects contrast ratio as well. The main aspect of High Dynamic Range is the increased light output while maintaining deep black levels. Once properly implemented on 4K OLED screens, the native contrast ratios should be through the roof.


Wide Color Gamut (WCG) is where the color improvement comes from, but that is also part of the next-gen spec with UHD Blu Ray etc. The new displays will be able to show quite a bit more of the color spectrum, so color fidelity will be much closer to reality than ever before.

WCG when coupled with the increased dynamic range/contrast ratio from HDR and 4K resolution should make for one of the largest jumps in picture quality since the first HD plasma sets entered the market.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #22 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 12:52 PM
Advanced Member
 
qwknuf6's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 810
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Liked: 163
With OLED I hope to get improvements in 3 areas .......larger size, 75" or larger , 4K resolution and perfect blacks , these are the things my Kuro cannot do. But it will have to be on par with the Kuro in all other PQ areas .May be a while .
qwknuf6 is online now  
post #23 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 01:02 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
NuSoardGraphite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Tucson AZ
Posts: 2,032
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 299 Post(s)
Liked: 276
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
With OLED I hope to get improvements in 3 areas .......larger size, 75" or larger , 4K resolution and perfect blacks , these are the things my Kuro cannot do. But it will have to be on par with the Kuro in all other PQ areas .May be a while .

Motion blur and color performance are the two biggest culprits. Considering that Samsung solved those issues with LED/LCD tvs, I'm sure OLED will catch up as well.

Stand tall and shake the heavens...
NuSoardGraphite is offline  
post #24 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 01:12 PM
Member
 
dusty123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Halethorpe MD
Posts: 66
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Hi I had a Elite 111fd about 4 years ago and I have been trying to find something that compares to it. I have tried just about every TV that has come out since then and the only TV that gives me that type of quality is my Samsung PN64F8500 plasma. This plasma looks so good that it compares to the 4k TV's one of the cleanest pictures to date. I do home theater installs for a living and trust me this plasma is beautiful in every aspect. This plasma still wow's me every time I turn it on
dusty123 is offline  
post #25 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 05:14 PM
Member
 
SnellTHX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Other than a 1080p OLED TV, nothing else currently on the market can compare.

A used Panasonic ST60/VT60/ZT60 or Samsung F8500 Plasma may be an option.



_______________________


Har to tell if the Kuro was an absolute masterpiece of electronic equipment or if its an utter embarrassment for today's TV manufacturers.
SnellTHX is offline  
post #26 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 05:49 PM
Advanced Member
 
tubby497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8mile13 View Post
Plasma has better motion than 300/400 lines of native motion resolution Sample & Hold LCd/OLED. So OLED motion cannot be on par with a 500M. Even most of those who reviewed the Panasonic OLED, which suppost to have better motion than the LG OLEDs, complained about motion. There have also been lots of complaints about limited OLED motion options (not everybody is into motion interpolation). Maybe something got wrong during the tweaking
OLED's motion didn't seemed to be any different vs 500M on actual content. I'm sure everyone has their own tolerance regards to motion though.

There are endless debates about motion on the forum. Conan48 explains it very well regarding OLEDs motion vs plasma/lcd. I'll just leave at that.

Comparison of LG EG960V OLED VS Samsung 55″JS9000
tubby497 is offline  
post #27 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 06:00 PM
Advanced Member
 
tubby497's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 528
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwknuf6 View Post
With OLED I hope to get improvements in 3 areas .......larger size, 75" or larger , 4K resolution and perfect blacks , these are the things my Kuro cannot do. But it will have to be on par with the Kuro in all other PQ areas .May be a while .
It's almost there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnellTHX View Post
Har to tell if the Kuro was an absolute masterpiece of electronic equipment or if its an utter embarrassment for today's TV manufacturers.
Best plasmas ever made.
tubby497 is offline  
post #28 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member
 
gus738's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Watsonville, CA
Posts: 2,767
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubby497 View Post
OLED's motion didn't seemed to be any different vs 500M on actual content. I'm sure everyone has their own tolerance regards to motion though.

There are endless debates about motion on the forum. Conan48 explains it very well regarding OLEDs motion vs plasma/lcd. I'll just leave at that.

Comparison of LG EG960V OLED VS Samsung 55″JS9000
I find that impossible the motion just isn't on par on oled with the kuro
gus738 is offline  
post #29 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 06:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member
 
jlaavenger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: North of Houston
Posts: 570
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 10
well my kuro has been in the shop 4 times now. it stops turning on just blinks red. I've looked for other kuro and zilch....I'm near Houston.
jlaavenger is offline  
post #30 of 94 Old 10-23-2015, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member
 
rcapprotti's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: ocala fl
Posts: 558
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlaavenger View Post
well my kuro has been in the shop 4 times now. it stops turning on just blinks red. I've looked for other kuro and zilch....I'm near Houston.
To bad you're in Houston I have 141 with 137 hours on it that could be bought for the right price and there's over 21 month warranty left on it
rcapprotti is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off