Panasonic P65VT50 versus P65ZT60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By TWD
  • 1 Post By RandyWalters

post #1 of 12 Old 12-23-2015, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Panasonic P65VT50 versus P65ZT60

So, here is the deal.

I have an aging TX-P42GT20E, that still works great and has just had a fresh start, thanks to audiodane's PMCv2.

But I have now the opportunity to buy either one of the models quoted in title.

The catch : the price tag. P65ZT60 is ~800$ more expensive than the VT50, that is already around the 2000$ mark.

I had the chance to look at both screens hour counts, and both are under the 200 hours. I have to assume both owner wanted to switch for a samsung, that's not possible otherwise.

...Assuming I buy the VT50, what will I lack that I wouldn't with the ZT60 ? Is the price difference worth it ?

I reckon the picture quality will be slightly better on the ZT60, but... how better ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 12-23-2015, 12:06 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weby View Post
So, here is the deal.

I have an aging TX-P42GT20E, that still works great and has just had a fresh start, thanks to audiodane's PMCv2.

The catch : the price tag. P65ZT60 is ~800$ more expensive than the VT50, that is already around the 2000$ mark.

I had the chance to look at both screens hour counts, and both are under the 200 hours. I have to assume both owner wanted to switch for a samsung, that's not possible otherwise.

...Assuming I buy the VT50, what will I lack that I wouldn't with the ZT60 ? Is the price difference worth it ?

I reckon the picture quality will be slightly better on the ZT60, but... how better ?

I say spend the extra and get the ZT. I owned a 65vt50 and have a 65vt60 now. The 60 is way better IMO.
post #3 of 12 Old 12-23-2015, 06:52 PM
TWD
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Quote:
So, here is the deal.

Be sure to listen for fan noise on the ZT. I returned one for that reason. I have a VT50 now and love it. You could buy the VT50 and get it professionally calibrated with money left over.
mmbuckwa likes this.

TWD

post #4 of 12 Old 12-23-2015, 10:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
So, here is the deal. I have an aging TX-P42GT20E, that still works great and has just had a fresh start, thanks to audiodane's PMCv2.But I have now the pportunity to buy either one of the models quoted in title.
The catch : the price tag. P65ZT60 is ~800$ more expensive than the VT50, that is already around the 2000$ mark.I had the chance to look at both screens hour counts, and both are under the 200 hours. I have to assume both owner wanted to switch for a samsung, that's not possible otherwise....Assuming I buy the VT50, what will I lack that I wouldn't with the ZT60 ? Is the price difference worth it ?I reckon the picture quality will be slightly better on the ZT60, but... how better ?
I might have interest in the VT50 if the owner wants to contact me. Let me know.
post #5 of 12 Old 12-24-2015, 07:31 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 527 Post(s)
Liked: 782
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
I might have interest in the VT50 if the owner wants to contact me. Let me know.
Since the OP has a TX-P42GT20E, he is not located in North America (that's a European model he has).

As for the difference, i have a 50GT50 and a 55ST60, and even though the ST60 is 5" larger it is way crisper and more detailed than the smaller GT50 when watching antenna and good cable channels. On 1080p Blu-Ray the difference is not as extreme, but this relative lack of softness on the ST50/GT50/VT50 was by far the biggest complaint among owners of these models. It was fixed on the ST60/VT60/ZT60 models. FWIW.

__________________________________________________ _
PhilipsPhanatic likes this.

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Roamio Pro, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
post #6 of 12 Old 12-24-2015, 10:57 AM - Thread Starter

I'm from Switzerland and I live there, indeed, so shipping the TV will cost any non-european a... ton.

I wish to also point out that :

1. I can calibrate them myself fairly easily
2. I won't ever watch TV on them, I use it exclusively for BluRay and for computer use (yeah, the 42" is my main computer screen), and do not care at all about the quality of the TV decoder
3. I won't ever use the TV's speakers, it's hooked up to a 7.1 Harman Kardon AVR constantly
4. Since both will be a huge step forward from my GT20, do I REALLY need to spend the extra 800$ ?

Thank you for the fan noise comment, will definitely check it out.
post #7 of 12 Old 12-26-2015, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Followup : I went with the ZT60 : no fan noise (yet) and I got it for 2400 instead of 2800, so it was WELL worth the price.

Thank you for your advice !
post #8 of 12 Old 12-26-2015, 07:55 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 161
If you are using it as a computer display, be very careful with image retention/burn in. The VT60 & ZT60 are very, very susceptible.
post #9 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked: 265
It's still not quite clear to me whether or not you got the Euro version.

There's a pretty important difference between the Euro VT50 and the US one.

The US VT50 has the panel luminance menu option, but the Euro one does not. The pro modes on the latter are locked into low luminance mode which doubles the MLL. The lack of the aforementioned menu option means that cannot be changed. So the picture modes with the most advanced adjustment controls have lower contrast than on the US equivalent.

This was rectified with the 60 series. Going from the 50 series to the 60 series is, therefore, a much bigger jump for us Europeans. The Euro VT50 was a really nice TV and even has some aspects I prefer over the VT60/ZT60. But it has way less visual impact due to the artificially limited contrast.
post #10 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 08:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by B T C View Post
If you are using it as a computer display, be very careful with image retention/burn in. The VT60 & ZT60 are very, very susceptible.
Why is that ? I would think later-gen models had built-in protections.

Do they have built-in screen wipes and the like ?
post #11 of 12 Old 12-27-2015, 08:59 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 483 Post(s)
Liked: 161
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipsPhanatic View Post
Why is that ? I would think later-gen models had built-in protections.

Do they have built-in screen wipes and the like ?
I can't answer the why, but it's the one big knock against these sets. It pays to be cognizant of the issue so it can be avoided. There is a built in screen wipe.
post #12 of 12 Old 12-29-2015, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

@fluxo
Euro version, because, as I stated, I'm in Switzerland, and I'm not silly enough to buy a TV overseas.

And, as I said too, I bought the ZT60, so nothing for me to worry about here.
@BTC
Thanks for your concerns, but I think after 5 years and 16200 hours of computer use on my panel, I know how to deal with burn-in.

Never have I any "fixed" component on the screen, that means no still menu bar, nothing. I also have a small script which "erases" the small burn-ins that may occur in a day to day basis. Everytime I leave the computer, that script puts the TV in a 15 minutes timer, and while doing so, starts a sort of fullscreen slideshow, composed of pictures with only one color in it, and a 30 seconds white noise video. They alternate every second for 15 minutes.

I have no way of knowing if this has actually had any good impact on the screen, but I have never seen any image retention whatsoever...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page