Plasma Power Supply: Healing the Buzz - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By brightcity

post #1 of 14 Old 02-01-2016, 06:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Plasma Power Supply: Healing the Buzz

Hello, here is a method I have used to help heal and balance the power supply on my Plasma TV's power supply. This will signficanly reduce the buzz of new and old units.

To construct the part, take a two hole punch file fastener designed for a folder. Sand or file the enamel paint off of a small section on the center of 2 fasteners. Combine the 2 fasteners bare metal to bare metal and tape tightly together. Affix the fasteners to various locations on the back of your TV. Start with the areas around the power inlet and the AV input.

The TV can then be run and after some time powered down and unplugged. Upon replugging and power on, the components in the television should begin to heal themselves of standing wave generated capacitance dips.

This method will help to improve picture, extend power supply life and even help cure an old power supply of a new or old television.
P.S. I use them around many electronic components. Overuse is not a problem. Larger units with longer tines can be constructed to reduce emi generated by lower frequencies.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160201_191035.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	1224577   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160201_191003.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	1224585  
e_honda and Trelkovsky like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 02-01-2016, 06:54 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightcity View Post
Hello, here is a method I have used to help heal and balance the power supply on my Plasma TV's power supply. This will signficanly reduce the buzz of new and old units.

To construct the part, take a two hole punch file fastener designed for a folder. Sand or file the enamel paint off of a small section on the center of 2 fasteners. Combine the 2 fasteners bare metal to bare metal and tape tightly together. Affix the fasteners to various locations on the back of your TV. Start with the areas around the power inlet and the AV input.

The TV can then be run and after some time powered down and unplugged. Upon replugging and power on, the components in the television should begin to heal themselves of standing wave generated capacitance dips.

This method will help to improve picture, extend power supply life and even help cure an old power supply of a new or old television.
P.S. I use them around many electronic components. Overuse is not a problem. Larger units with longer tines can be constructed to reduce emi generated by lower frequencies.
Interesting. Thanks for posting. A couple questions:

1. Can you just sand off all the coating on the fasteners to make it simple? Does it matter?

2. Is it important to cross them at a 90 degree angle when putting the 2 fasteners together like you showed in the photo?

This solution probably won't work for me, as I'm sure my buzzing is purely related to the panel itself and not the power supply. The buzz I hear is mostly directly on axis and not power supply related. But I'm willing to try something. Thanks again.

Last edited by e_honda; 02-01-2016 at 06:59 PM.
post #3 of 14 Old 02-01-2016, 07:41 PM - Thread Starter

Its easiest to just remove the coating from a small section so that only the two fasteners are conducting. The material on the back of the tv sometimes used is anodized aluminum which can intermittantly conduct thus negating the effect of the device.

Some angle is important but the exact angle is not. The antenna will pick up and filter out frequencies with a wavelength 1, 1/2, 1/4 and less efficiently with further fractioning of the distance between the tines of the two fasteners.

The power supply imparts a buzz to the panel which is causing the buzz. The switch mode PWM power supply causes the buzzing. Placing the filter antennas behind the television helps to wick the noise off of the panel thus reducing buzz of both the panel and the power supply.
post #4 of 14 Old 02-01-2016, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

As well, the on axis buzz is made more noticible by the speakers. As you are close to the tv, you are not within the focal point of the speakers. This may be why the buzz is least noticible at someplace between the tv and the viewing point.
post #5 of 14 Old 02-01-2016, 09:46 PM

Thanks for the advice. I'll try this soon. Gotta get some sets of fasteners from work, LOL.

I'm not counting on anything happening, but it's worth a try. Won't cost me anything to try.
post #6 of 14 Old 02-02-2016, 03:50 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Hello

¿This can help to reduce a buzz like this?

post #7 of 14 Old 02-03-2016, 10:21 AM - Thread Starter

That buzz is pretty quiet but it should help regardless.

Maybe I am unable to fully hear the loudness of the buzzing but if the TV is older than 5 years (guess) than you could probably try buying a used spare power supply board and replacing the old electrolytic (typically cylindrical with metal disk at top) and metalized film (typically brown and squareish) capacitors. I would recommend sticking with the original capacitance values as they are often chosen to back each other up in terms of inherent resonance and frequency range. Be sure to stick to the same or greater voltage ratings.

The easiest way to repair is to wet the solder joint with new solder. Then use a solder sucker or solder pump to remove the old solder. Use soldering iron heat to gently wiggle the old part out (care taken not to lift the traces). Use solder sucker to further clean hole, more new solder may be required. I prefer using eutectic solder and like to use hakko irons.
post #8 of 14 Old 02-03-2016, 12:49 PM - Thread Starter

It is also a good idea to have the service manual before opening the unit. With this you can enter the service menu to disable the security flag that may be enabled when opening the unit.
post #9 of 14 Old 02-03-2016, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
That buzz is pretty quiet but it should help regardless.

Maybe I am unable to fully hear the loudness of the buzzing but if the TV is older than 5 years (guess) than you could probably try buying a used spare power supply board and replacing the old electrolytic (typically cylindrical with metal disk at top) and metalized film (typically brown and squareish) capacitors. I would recommend sticking with the original capacitance values as they are often chosen to back each other up in terms of inherent resonance and frequency range. Be sure to stick to the same or greater voltage ratings.

The easiest way to repair is to wet the solder joint with new solder. Then use a solder sucker or solder pump to remove the old solder. Use soldering iron heat to gently wiggle the old part out (care taken not to lift the traces). Use solder sucker to further clean hole, more new solder may be required. I prefer using eutectic solder and like to use hakko irons.
That video is not mine, I found it in Youtube. My TV is less than two years old, but does the exact same buzzing since i bought it.

Sorry for my bad English
post #10 of 14 Old 02-03-2016, 04:27 PM - Thread Starter

Try it out. It should help significantly.
post #11 of 14 Old 02-05-2016, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Try it out. It should help significantly.
Thanks for all the advice. I plan on trying this out this weekend. Couple more questions:

1. I bought a bunch of these fasteners from the office supply store (they only come in packs of 100, it seems). They only sold these types of fasteners (same shape as in your picture) that have a self adhesive side. When you did yours, did you remove the adhesive sticker to expose the sticky side or did you keep it on? It would be less messy if you were able to keep the sticker on to avoid working with a sticky surface.

2. I'm guessing the type of tape you use isn't important, correct?
post #12 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 11:32 AM - Thread Starter

Cool, the glue on my fasteners was dried out from age. Id guess leaving the backing on will be easier to use.

The tape doesnt matter much, they are bound to fall off after some time. Gaffer tape may last the longest. Rosco sells a beautiful product.

Also ebay has counterfeit cardas power cords from china. They are most likely old stock cable and impart a significant improvement even over hospital grade cords. Work great out of the box but will take time to form an odixe layer over the stranded conductor. As well these air gap dialectric cords have an amazing tightining sound as they initially settle.
post #13 of 14 Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM - Thread Starter

I am now noticing significantly reduced buzz. My picture has no noise at all. As well my black levels have gotten significantly deeper and cleaner with increased edge sharpness.

The new cables helped significantly, I doubt my power supply refurbish will make as much difference as the cable as it always does.
post #14 of 14 Old 02-10-2016, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
I am now noticing significantly reduced buzz. My picture has no noise at all. As well my black levels have gotten significantly deeper and cleaner with increased edge sharpness.

The new cables helped significantly, I doubt my power supply refurbish will make as much difference as the cable as it always does.
Hey Brightcity,

Are there any fasteners on Amazon that you would recommend? I want to try this but don't want to have to go to the store. I know it is pretty lazy.

PSN: amays32
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

taboola here
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page