repair Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 04-23-2016, 09:16 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
repair Panasonic TC-P65ZT60

Just received a used Panasonic TC-P65ZT60. The glass is cracked throughout and when I powered it on, there is no image, only buzzing. I suspect it was dropped or jostled with impact though the box seemed to be intact. I have ordered glass through TEK Media Group in Burbank. It is being shipped from Panasonic. What is the likelihood that the electronics can be repaired? Has anyone had experience with this type of repair?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	136.1 KB
ID:	1399450  
snichols is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 20 Old 04-23-2016, 10:25 AM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
Just received a used Panasonic TC-P65ZT60. The glass is cracked throughout and when I powered it on, there is no image, only buzzing. I suspect it was dropped or jostled with impact though the box seemed to be intact. I have ordered glass through TEK Media Group in Burbank. It is being shipped from Panasonic. What is the likelihood that the electronics can be repaired? Has anyone had experience with this type of repair?
Hmm? How are you going to get the front AR glass filter to fuse to the new pdp glass? Everything I read says Panasonic just says to scrap it as a cracked glass is unrepairable on a ZT60. Just cuz that front AR filter has to be fused to the pdp with a special machine.
Superman23 is offline  
post #3 of 20 Old 04-23-2016, 01:02 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"
 
RandyWalters's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: El Segundo, Calif
Posts: 18,831
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked: 754
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
Just received a used Panasonic TC-P65ZT60. The glass is cracked throughout and when I powered it on, there is no image, only buzzing. I suspect it was dropped or jostled with impact though the box seemed to be intact. I have ordered glass through TEK Media Group in Burbank. It is being shipped from Panasonic. What is the likelihood that the electronics can be repaired? Has anyone had experience with this type of repair?
IIRC the outer layer of glass is bonded directly to the Plasma panel itself during the manufacturing process and it is not replaceable separately.

Is it just the outer glass that's cracked? Or is the the actual Plasma panel under that glass? Since it doesn't display an image it's very likely that the panel itself is cracked, and when the panel cracks that often short circuits the circuit boards from the sudden surge as they struggle to drive the broken panel.

And Panasonic's inventory of parts and spare panels dried up about three years ago - are you sure TEK can get a panel? Or just the front glass?

How much is it costing you for the part, and for the shipping?


---

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo 2-Tuner Premiere, TWC Arris DCX3600-M 6-Tuner DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...

Last edited by RandyWalters; 04-23-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: tYpO
RandyWalters is offline  
post #4 of 20 Old 04-23-2016, 09:24 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
Just received a used Panasonic TC-P65ZT60. The glass is cracked throughout and when I powered it on, there is no image, only buzzing. I suspect it was dropped or jostled with impact though the box seemed to be intact. I have ordered glass through TEK Media Group in Burbank. It is being shipped from Panasonic. What is the likelihood that the electronics can be repaired? Has anyone had experience with this type of repair?
IIRC the outer layer of glass is bonded directly to the Plasma panel itself during the manufacturing process and it is not replaceable separately.

Is it just the outer glass that's cracked? Or is the the actual Plasma panel under that glass? Since it doesn't display an image it's very likely that the panel itself is cracked, and when the panel cracks that often short circuits the circuit boards from the sudden surge as they struggle to drive the broken panel.

And Panasonic's inventory of parts and spare panels dried up about three years ago - are you sure TEK can get a panel? Or just the front glass?

How much is it costing you for the part, and for the shipping?


---
Yeah I'm really curious as to how TEK got a new ZT panel? Maybe they had a new panel that is already fused together with the front AR Panel? Can't wait to hear how this whole repair goes down.
Superman23 is offline  
post #5 of 20 Old 04-24-2016, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I will find out on Monday if TEK can get the entire display and let you know. In the meantime, this once beautiful Panansonic ZT is sitting on the floor in my den. What can be done? Is it absolutely unrepairable? Can it be salvaged for parts? I now have a line on a Pioneer Kuro monitor 60 inch. After this experience, which has left both the seller and me beyond disappointed, I am reluctant to drop more cash on a used display. I love Plasma and cannot stand the lack of depth and the too high contrast in the current technology. Any suggestions? I saw the new LG OLED 65 inch yesterday. It looks awful compared to my Pioneer Elite 50 inch.
snichols is offline  
post #6 of 20 Old 04-24-2016, 10:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
I will find out on Monday if TEK can get the entire display and let you know. In the meantime, this once beautiful Panansonic ZT is sitting on the floor in my den. What can be done? Is it absolutely unrepairable? Can it be salvaged for parts? I now have a line on a Pioneer Kuro monitor 60 inch. After this experience, which has left both the seller and me beyond disappointed, I am reluctant to drop more cash on a used display. I love Plasma and cannot stand the lack of depth and the too high contrast in the current technology. Any suggestions? I saw the new LG OLED 65 inch yesterday. It looks awful compared to my Pioneer Elite 50 inch.
Did it drop during shipping or something? If it did I would go after the shopping company until they offered reimbursement. Not cool dropping between $2,000 & $3,000 only to have the shoppers ruin it. When mine came to my house a few months ago I told them to set it down and let me unpack it. They were rough with it bringing it off of the truck. Most of these guys are bad dudes and don't care. They were offended but I didn't care. They had razor blades out ready to rip off the packing material. I was like no I'll do it. If you can get a completely new panel with the front AR Filter fused then I would go this route for sure. Right now no OLED or pioneer can compare to the VT60 or ZT60.
Superman23 is offline  
post #7 of 20 Old 04-26-2016, 08:38 AM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
What's the scoop on the ZT60's pdp replacement glass from TEK?

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Superman23 is offline  
post #8 of 20 Old 04-29-2016, 01:52 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Any news on the pdp replacement for your ZT60?

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Superman23 is offline  
post #9 of 20 Old 04-29-2016, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
After several photos and videos were sent to TEK Media they finally sent a man out to examine the display. They have determined that the inner glass is broken. It can not be repaired. At that point they mentioned an exchange program which also fell through because Panasonic has none of these displays left. Someone dropped this with some force. We have put in a claim with SEKO, the shipping company. Both the seller and I are heartbroken. I will never go this route again. Does anyone out there have one for sale for pick up here in California?
snichols is offline  
post #10 of 20 Old 04-29-2016, 07:43 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
After several photos and videos were sent to TEK Media they finally sent a man out to examine the display. They have determined that the inner glass is broken. It can not be repaired. At that point they mentioned an exchange program which also fell through because Panasonic has none of these displays left. Someone dropped this with some force. We have put in a claim with SEKO, the shipping company. Both the seller and I are heartbroken. I will never go this route again. Does anyone out there have one for sale for pick up here in California?
I feel for you buddy. Just horrible all the way around. Please be persistent with the moving company and make sure they reimburse you. I myself would hire a lawyer if they refuse to honor the claim. You can always check the classifieds section on this forum as they constantly pop up for sale all of the time. Just check everyday on here and sooner or later one will pop up for sale in California. I've seen several pop up for sale in the Midwest so it's bound to happen on the west coast.
Superman23 is offline  
post #11 of 20 Old 05-07-2016, 05:07 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
I feel for you buddy. Just horrible all the way around. Please be persistent with the moving company and make sure they reimburse you. I myself would hire a lawyer if they refuse to honor the claim. You can always check the classifieds section on this forum as they constantly pop up for sale all of the time. Just check everyday on here and sooner or later one will pop up for sale in California. I've seen several pop up for sale in the Midwest so it's bound to happen on the west coast.
Superman
Believe me, We are on the shipping company like white on rice. Thanks for the support.
I just picked up a Pioneer Pro 141FD! 60 inch. monitor Replaces my Pioneer Elite 50 inch. Beautiful. Has 11,000 hours but that is about average for a display made in 2009.
snichols is offline  
post #12 of 20 Old 05-08-2016, 09:07 AM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
I feel for you buddy. Just horrible all the way around. Please be persistent with the moving company and make sure they reimburse you. I myself would hire a lawyer if they refuse to honor the claim. You can always check the classifieds section on this forum as they constantly pop up for sale all of the time. Just check everyday on here and sooner or later one will pop up for sale in California. I've seen several pop up for sale in the Midwest so it's bound to happen on the west coast.
Superman
Believe me, We are on the shipping company like white on rice. Thanks for the support.
I just picked up a Pioneer Pro 141FD! 60 inch. monitor Replaces my Pioneer Elite 50 inch. Beautiful. Has 11,000 hours but that is about average for a display made in 2009.
Sweet! You're gonna love the pioneer 141FD! Just as good as a ZT60 so I'm glad you got a nice replacement. Yeah 11,000 hours is nothing..........I would still consider it brand new. Hopefully you get things resolved with the shipping company. Just sad the way they mistreat things. You should post a picture of your new 141FD so we can see it. Good stuff!
Superman23 is offline  
post #13 of 20 Old 05-08-2016, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
I will find out on Monday if TEK can get the entire display and let you know. In the meantime, this once beautiful Panansonic ZT is sitting on the floor in my den. What can be done? Is it absolutely unrepairable? Can it be salvaged for parts? I now have a line on a Pioneer Kuro monitor 60 inch. After this experience, which has left both the seller and me beyond disappointed, I am reluctant to drop more cash on a used display. I love Plasma and cannot stand the lack of depth and the too high contrast in the current technology. Any suggestions? I saw the new LG OLED 65 inch yesterday. It looks awful compared to my Pioneer Elite 50 inch.
What was so awful about it? Was it in Vivid mode? Did you have access to the remote? I wouldn't make any definitive conclusions in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Did it drop during shipping or something? If it did I would go after the shopping company until they offered reimbursement. Not cool dropping between $2,000 & $3,000 only to have the shoppers ruin it. When mine came to my house a few months ago I told them to set it down and let me unpack it. They were rough with it bringing it off of the truck. Most of these guys are bad dudes and don't care. They were offended but I didn't care. They had razor blades out ready to rip off the packing material. I was like no I'll do it. If you can get a completely new panel with the front AR Filter fused then I would go this route for sure. Right now no OLED or pioneer can compare to the VT60 or ZT60.
Next to a few diehards, not all current and former owners of those panels agree.

Here's exhibit A from the E6/G6 owner thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
I've had the 65E for a few hours now and I'm pretty impressed. It's sorta weird though, and it's taking my brain a bit to adjust to OLED vs Plasma, which I've been viewing for a decade (5020 was my first).

I've only watched a couple things all the way through with a few clips here and there just to see. All of my observations are against a professionally calibrated Pioneer 151FD which I was watching until last night. It came off the wall this morning

After patching the wall up and getting the new mount installed, the 65E went up. Set-up was fairly simple along with an update that loaded quickly. I love having the mouse to input stuff. The TV tuner found 43 channels, which is about a dozen more than the 151. The TV guide is something the Pio doesn't have and it's very handy. Changing channels is very responsive.

The first picture that came up was the local ABC affiliate's newscast and looked terrible. Changed the Picture Mode from APS to Expert (Dark Room) and adjusted some settings to tone it down. Looked better, but I think I prefer the Pio for broadcast TV. Once I get the LG calibrated though, that could change. The extra 5 inches of real estate might factor into the picture, but I think it's more of a garbage in, garbage out. The Pio hides those faults better.

Second up was Life of Pi UHD Bluray playing from the Samsung K8500. Started from the beginning and got the HDR mode notice. Nice. Blown away by the first shots of the animals. It's not 3D but it might as well be. I think that the weirdness in my brain has to do with this effect. Only watched 5 minutes or so. I played around with TruMotion but found I prefer it Off.

Next up was The Thin Red Line Criterion Bluray, played out of my Oppo 103 and through a Rotel 1572 processor. On the Pio it looks amazing but I think I really need the LG calibrated. While it did look good, I felt skin tones were off a bit.

While we ate dinner, watched an episode of CNN's "The 70's" on Netflix. The old TV clips were as expected, but the new interview clips look great. Solid black background with well-lit faces...very nice.

Then we watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones on HBO Now with a Roku 2. Bright scenes were fantastic but a lot of the episode was dark and suffered from compression issues. The Pio hides these a lot better but those bright scenes never looked better.

I then remembered to upgrade my Netflix account to 4K. Played the first bit of Marco Polo and got the Dolby Vision notification. Motion was way too soap opera and I found the Dolby Vision Picture Mode defaults to TruMotion Clear. Turned it off and it was better. I wasn't too drawn into the story, but I'll revisit.

Currently watching Better Call Saul in 4K on Netflix. It never looked this good on the Kuro and I find myself being amazed at the picture scene after scene.

In direct comparison, the LG outperforms the Pio in most regards. The contrast is remarkable and is much brighter than the Kuro. I'm sure you know about the blacks but I believe there is some crush on the LG. Haven't adjust settings to fix it yet. The soundbar on the E6 performs very well. The small woofers can get boomy if adjusted to be, but when dialed correctly, provide some nice bottom-end if you just want to watch TV at night without turning on the home theater system. Motion is a huge issue for me and the Pio does this better, but by a small margin.

Can't wait to watch more. Might post some pics of my set-up tomorrow. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Played around with the posted 20-point settings and also tried out 2-point settings and other perimeters from the G6 calibration at VE. Popped Thin Red Line into the Oppo for a test and all I can say is who wants to help me move the Kuro to the curb?

The Revenant on UHD is next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Just finished The Revenant on UHD. It was without a doubt the best cinematic experience I've had in my home. In a completely dark room the black bars disappeared into the wall giving the appearance of a 21:9 screen. The whole movie is a reference piece of eye candy. HDR is no joke. Very happy with my purchase.

Last edited by video_analysis; 05-08-2016 at 04:11 PM.
video_analysis is offline  
post #14 of 20 Old 05-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by snichols View Post
I will find out on Monday if TEK can get the entire display and let you know. In the meantime, this once beautiful Panansonic ZT is sitting on the floor in my den. What can be done? Is it absolutely unrepairable? Can it be salvaged for parts? I now have a line on a Pioneer Kuro monitor 60 inch. After this experience, which has left both the seller and me beyond disappointed, I am reluctant to drop more cash on a used display. I love Plasma and cannot stand the lack of depth and the too high contrast in the current technology. Any suggestions? I saw the new LG OLED 65 inch yesterday. It looks awful compared to my Pioneer Elite 50 inch.
What was so awful about it? Was it in Vivid mode? Did you have access to the remote? I wouldn't make any definitive conclusions in the store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
Did it drop during shipping or something? If it did I would go after the shopping company until they offered reimbursement. Not cool dropping between $2,000 & $3,000 only to have the shoppers ruin it. When mine came to my house a few months ago I told them to set it down and let me unpack it. They were rough with it bringing it off of the truck. Most of these guys are bad dudes and don't care. They were offended but I didn't care. They had razor blades out ready to rip off the packing material. I was like no I'll do it. If you can get a completely new panel with the front AR Filter fused then I would go this route for sure. Right now no OLED or pioneer can compare to the VT60 or ZT60.
Next to a few diehards, not all current and former owners of those panels agree.

Here's exhibit A from the E6/G6 owner thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
I've had the 65E for a few hours now and I'm pretty impressed. It's sorta weird though, and it's taking my brain a bit to adjust to OLED vs Plasma, which I've been viewing for a decade (5020 was my first).

I've only watched a couple things all the way through with a few clips here and there just to see. All of my observations are against a professionally calibrated Pioneer 151FD which I was watching until last night. It came off the wall this morning

After patching the wall up and getting the new mount installed, the 65E went up. Set-up was fairly simple along with an update that loaded quickly. I love having the mouse to input stuff. The TV tuner found 43 channels, which is about a dozen more than the 151. The TV guide is something the Pio doesn't have and it's very handy. Changing channels is very responsive.

The first picture that came up was the local ABC affiliate's newscast and looked terrible. Changed the Picture Mode from APS to Expert (Dark Room) and adjusted some settings to tone it down. Looked better, but I think I prefer the Pio for broadcast TV. Once I get the LG calibrated though, that could change. The extra 5 inches of real estate might factor into the picture, but I think it's more of a garbage in, garbage out. The Pio hides those faults better.

Second up was Life of Pi UHD Bluray playing from the Samsung K8500. Started from the beginning and got the HDR mode notice. Nice. Blown away by the first shots of the animals. It's not 3D but it might as well be. I think that the weirdness in my brain has to do with this effect. Only watched 5 minutes or so. I played around with TruMotion but found I prefer it Off.

Next up was The Thin Red Line Criterion Bluray, played out of my Oppo 103 and through a Rotel 1572 processor. On the Pio it looks amazing but I think I really need the LG calibrated. While it did look good, I felt skin tones were off a bit.

While we ate dinner, watched an episode of CNN's "The 70's" on Netflix. The old TV clips were as expected, but the new interview clips look great. Solid black background with well-lit faces...very nice.

Then we watched the latest episode of Game of Thrones on HBO Now with a Roku 2. Bright scenes were fantastic but a lot of the episode was dark and suffered from compression issues. The Pio hides these a lot better but those bright scenes never looked better.

I then remembered to upgrade my Netflix account to 4K. Played the first bit of Marco Polo and got the Dolby Vision notification. Motion was way too soap opera and I found the Dolby Vision Picture Mode defaults to TruMotion Clear. Turned it off and it was better. I wasn't too drawn into the story, but I'll revisit.

Currently watching Better Call Saul in 4K on Netflix. It never looked this good on the Kuro and I find myself being amazed at the picture scene after scene.

In direct comparison, the LG outperforms the Pio in most regards. The contrast is remarkable and is much brighter than the Kuro. I'm sure you know about the blacks but I believe there is some crush on the LG. Haven't adjust settings to fix it yet. The soundbar on the E6 performs very well. The small woofers can get boomy if adjusted to be, but when dialed correctly, provide some nice bottom-end if you just want to watch TV at night without turning on the home theater system. Motion is a huge issue for me and the Pio does this better, but by a small margin.

Can't wait to watch more. Might post some pics of my set-up tomorrow. Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Played around with the posted 20-point settings and also tried out 2-point settings and other perimeters from the G6 calibration at VE. Popped Thin Red Line into the Oppo for a test and all I can say is who wants to help me move the Kuro to the curb?

The Revenant on UHD is next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by x43x View Post
Just finished The Revenant on UHD. It was without a doubt the best cinematic experience I've had in my home. In a completely dark room the black bars disappeared into the wall giving the appearance of a 21:9 screen. The whole movie is a reference piece of eye candy. HDR is no joke. Very happy with my purchase.
All valued observations for sure. I like other people have been going off of what I've seen at Best Buy where the tv is running on the same video loop. As far as games go it seems like the OLEDs still have motion issues though. But believe you me....if my zt60 went today I would definitely get an OLED. I think the new 2016's will have better motion for sure.
Superman23 is offline  
post #15 of 20 Old 05-09-2016, 12:42 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Plasmas will win the oft-referenced motion resolution tests, for sure (they were designed to show the superiority of plasma). To get closer to it, you do have to enable motion interpolation, which can have its own artifacts. That's the remaining area of tradeoff that might trip up some of those accustomed to plasma. However, I have also seen these sets at the stores, and they usually have frame interpolation maxed out by default (Vivid Mode is the default in-store mode where de-blur and de-judder are both set to 10), which puts out the most extreme "SOE" effect possible. It is not representative of how any videophile junkie watches them in his/her home.
video_analysis is offline  
post #16 of 20 Old 05-09-2016, 07:37 AM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Plasmas will win the oft-referenced motion resolution tests, for sure (they were designed to show the superiority of plasma). To get closer to it, you do have to enable motion interpolation, which can have its own artifacts. That's the remaining area of tradeoff that might trip up some of those accustomed to plasma. However, I have also seen these sets at the stores, and they usually have frame interpolation maxed out by default (Vivid Mode is the default in-store mode where de-blur and de-judder are both set to 10), which puts out the most extreme "SOE" effect possible. It is not representative of how any videophile junkie watches them in his/her home.
Gotcha. This is good stuff to know for sure! So is Motion Interpolation a setting that you turn on and off? Kind of like Game Mode in the ZT60 settings menu?

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Superman23 is offline  
post #17 of 20 Old 05-09-2016, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Yes, frame interpolation (TruMotion) can be completely disabled. It is comprised of 2 settings, De-Blur and De-Judder, that are independently configurable on a sliding scale from 0 to 10 (when TruMotion is activated).
video_analysis is offline  
post #18 of 20 Old 05-09-2016, 01:19 PM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Yes, frame interpolation (TruMotion) can be completely disabled. It is comprised of 2 settings, De-Blur and De-Judder, that are independently configurable on a sliding scale from 0 to 10 (when TruMotion is activated).
Okay makes sense. I keep all that stuff turned off on the ZT60 and my VT30. Is it better to turn that stuff on OLED's too? The only thing I turn on is my game mode when I'm playing games but that's only because I notice a better response time. Then when I watch a movie I turn it back off.

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Superman23 is offline  
post #19 of 20 Old 05-09-2016, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 3,239
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1870 Post(s)
Liked: 1502
Experimentation will probably yield the best results (the poster whom I quoted above has it enabled and feels he has managed to match the motion that his Kuro provided) because of the subjectivity of motion perception. I highly recommend checking out that owners' thread. Five current/former Kuro owners have come out of the woodwork today and are over the moon about the E6.
video_analysis is offline  
post #20 of 20 Old 05-10-2016, 07:21 AM
Senior Member
 
Superman23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Pinckney, Michigan
Posts: 311
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by video_analysis View Post
Experimentation will probably yield the best results (the poster whom I quoted above has it enabled and feels he has managed to match the motion that his Kuro provided) because of the subjectivity of motion perception. I highly recommend checking out that owners' thread. Five current/former Kuro owners have come out of the woodwork today and are over the moon about the E6.
Sounds Good! Thank you for all of the information on the OLED technology.

Panasonic Viera TC-P65ZT60 (Calibrated by Chad B)
Panasonic Viera TC-P65VT30
PlayStation 4 - PlayStation 3 - Nintendo WiiU
Superman23 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Tags
broken glass , buzzing , no image , panasonic tc-p65zt60 , repair advice

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off