Panasonic TH-50XVS30 - fix or give away? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 3 Old 06-05-2016, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Panasonic TH-50XVS30 - fix or give away?

Hi all - I used to spend some time on this website back when I put my fairly decent system together back in 2004-2005. I remember how smart and helpful people here were, so this is where I figured I'd start.

This TV was purchased in 2005 to be the centerpiece of a nice rack system. It was great while it worked, but failed 3 times in the first 5 years - fixed by Panasonic under warranty the first 2 times, I paid the 3rd time.

Divorce and downsizing meant that my rack and this TV went into storage for many years, and I just pulled it out the other day to use as a secondary TV (without the rack.)

Of course, it's broken again (doesn't power on.) I forget exactly what it is, and I'm sure many of you would know, but I think last time some components were replaced on the processor board or something, maybe in the $400 range or so?

The reason for all that preamble is that I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Obviously, you can buy a decent TV for not much more than it would cost to fix this one.

But this TV was so expensive (sure, it was 11 years ago), and touted as "pro quality" and all that, that I want to make sure I'm not being stupid if there's really a reason to fix it (and then someday again soon put my whole rack system back into use.)

My assumption is that it isn't worth fixing. If that's the case, is there anybody in the forum who would want it (for free) to fix themselves or use for parts? Again, that's assuming that there's anything special about this TV - probably not. I'm in Orange County, CA. if so.

If not, give to Goodwill, or would any other charities or schools have any use for any of the parts?

Hope this isn't too stupid of a question...

Scott
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-17-2016, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcgemstone View Post
Hi all - I used to spend some time on this website back when I put my fairly decent system together back in 2004-2005. I remember how smart and helpful people here were, so this is where I figured I'd start.

This TV was purchased in 2005 to be the centerpiece of a nice rack system. It was great while it worked, but failed 3 times in the first 5 years - fixed by Panasonic under warranty the first 2 times, I paid the 3rd time.

Divorce and downsizing meant that my rack and this TV went into storage for many years, and I just pulled it out the other day to use as a secondary TV (without the rack.)

Of course, it's broken again (doesn't power on.) I forget exactly what it is, and I'm sure many of you would know, but I think last time some components were replaced on the processor board or something, maybe in the $400 range or so?

The reason for all that preamble is that I'm trying to figure out what makes the most sense. Obviously, you can buy a decent TV for not much more than it would cost to fix this one.

But this TV was so expensive (sure, it was 11 years ago), and touted as "pro quality" and all that, that I want to make sure I'm not being stupid if there's really a reason to fix it (and then someday again soon put my whole rack system back into use.)

My assumption is that it isn't worth fixing. If that's the case, is there anybody in the forum who would want it (for free) to fix themselves or use for parts? Again, that's assuming that there's anything special about this TV - probably not. I'm in Orange County, CA. if so.

If not, give to Goodwill, or would any other charities or schools have any use for any of the parts?

Hope this isn't too stupid of a question...

Scott
Hi
do you still have unit for free, i will pick up.
thank
john 714-981-9742
post #3 of 3 Old 11-17-2016, 06:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Give it away. Not worth fixing. Buy a used plasma on craiglist for what you would pay to fix it. Used plasma prices are at an all time low. Look for something from the current decade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays
Gear in this thread