Plasma has spots... - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-12-2016, 02:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Plasma has spots...

My 58" Panasonic plasma TV (TH-58PE75U). Bought it from Costco many years ago. Recently it started to develop spots. I originally thought my teens splashed something on the screen but these are inside and not able to be cleaned from the exterior. The spots are there with or without power and they seem to be multiplying. Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	plasma tv (1).jpg
Views:	44
Size:	326.8 KB
ID:	1542289   Click image for larger version

Name:	plasma tv (2).jpg
Views:	43
Size:	517.6 KB
ID:	1542297   Click image for larger version

Name:	plasma tv (3).jpg
Views:	35
Size:	347.6 KB
ID:	1542305  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-12-2016, 02:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 678 Post(s)
Liked: 768
Assuming this is below the surface of the glass and not simply a spill: looks like a seperation between the outer glass and the substrate. They are simply glued together so it's possible that with enough age and heat that they are simply coming apart.

What to do if you find yourself stuck with no hope of rescue:
Consider yourself lucky that life has been good to you so far. Alternatively, if life hasn't been good to you so far, which given your present circumstances seems to be more likely, consider yourself lucky that it won't be troubling you much longer...

-- Excerpt from the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.
Old 07-12-2016, 02:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage11x View Post
Assuming this is below the surface of the glass and not simply a spill: looks like a seperation between the outer glass and the substrate. They are simply glued together so it's possible that with enough age and heat that they are simply coming apart.
Assuming they are separating what should I expect moving forward? The picture is still very good at this point with just the annoying spots. The TV is old and not really worth anything but is this repairable, maybe DIY?
Old 07-12-2016, 06:34 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quoted: 442 Post(s)
Liked: 741
You sure it's on the inside, and not between the AR filter and the outer glass? And nobody cleaned the screen with any kind of windex or anything? Cause it kinda looks like what happens when Windex attacks the AR Filter but it's hard to tell from the pics.

It's also possible that and internal coating or the black filter on the panel is starting to de-laminate.

If you're handy, you could remove the front bezel and remove the outer glass and see if it's actually on the panel, or if it's in the outer glass.

-

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Pic of My A/V setup - http://cdn.avsforum.com/f/f1/900x900..._Img_4867.jpeg
Gallery - http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2082686/randywalter...
Old 07-13-2016, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 311 Post(s)
Liked: 171
I agree with Randy. That looks like the A/R filter is starting to come off the glass, causing air gaps and what you are seeing.
Old 07-13-2016, 06:36 PM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

The bubbling effect in those pictures reminds me of when you see older cars with tinted windows where the film is starting to de-laminate from the glass, probably due to heat over time.

Plasma panels all have a black filter applied to the face of the panel which helps give the TV darker black levels, and it's basically like window tint film. Maybe the heat of the panel over time is causing the film to separate from the glass, but if that were a thing i think we would have seen other posts about it. I hope this is just an abberation....

Randy
Sony 55W800B, Panasonic TC-P55ST60, TiVo Series3 & Premiere, TWC Cisco 8742HDC DVR, Onkyo TX-SR333 AVR, URC MX-890, MX-780, R40, MX-450, MX-500 Remotes.
Old Yesterday, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Guys, thanks for the input. I can't say for certain in which layer the problem is but it sure doesn't appear to be on the outside. I started to disassemble the entire unit the other day but there are several screw I can't get to. Don't know how they put them in. I have teenagers so anything cleaning or solvent wise is a possibility. I hate to give up on it because it's been a great TV and we still enjoy the nice picture but I don't think repairing it makes sense. Was hoping for a DIY fix that but might just be an excuse to look at a bigger screen.
Old Today, 07:21 AM
"Don't PM Me Bro"

Quote:
Originally Posted by southerntester View Post
Guys, thanks for the input. I can't say for certain in which layer the problem is but it sure doesn't appear to be on the outside. I started to disassemble the entire unit the other day but there are several screw I can't get to. Don't know how they put them in. I have teenagers so anything cleaning or solvent wise is a possibility. I hate to give up on it because it's been a great TV and we still enjoy the nice picture but I don't think repairing it makes sense. Was hoping for a DIY fix that but might just be an excuse to look at a bigger screen.
I'd still remove the outer glass then check the plasma panel to see if the de-lamination is indeed between the panel face and the black filter that's applied to it, or if it's present on the outer glass itself. It is probably one or the other, unless it's actually inside the plasma panel itself.

IIRC, the TH-58PE75U was the Costco version of a TH-58PX60U (a special run of 58 inchers for Costco to use up Panasonic's leftover surplus inventory of 58" panel modules from 2006).

The outer glass is removable and replaceable, so if you can find instructions online for removing the front bezel or front cabinet section of a TH-58PX60U that may reveal how to get to those screws, or some trick to remove the outer glass.

Randy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement