plasma - never buy squaretrade to cover it. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 8Likes

post #1 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 03:15 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked: 42
plasma - never buy squaretrade to cover it.

UPDATE:

Squaretrade High ups/resolutions team called me today and said they have reviewed the case and decided to send me a check for amount of tv I purchased. They really stepped up to the plate, I couldnt be more pleased.

I still have a less than stellar stance on their tv replacements team, but I have to commend Squaretrade for making this right. I would buy another warranty from them, and if I had any issue with a claim, I would go right to their resolutions team, which you have to ask for when you call.

They really seem to put their customers first. Also, their social media team is top notch as well. If you complain to them on their social channels, they really take action.

ORIGINAL POST:

Hi all -

if you somehow find a plasma (new) to buy, don't buy a squaretrade plan to cover it. I always used to, and I am now living through a nightmare because of it.

My story (copied from Yelp on their company page, so when I say "you", I mean Squaretrade):

Wow. That's all I can say. I am so upset I think I'm going to suffer a strike (sorry for the hyperbole, but sadly enough, I'm not lying that much).

I have been a LONGTIME customer of Squaretrade; I have purchased at least 10 warranties from them. Squaretrade has always treated me well in the past.

Not now. NEVER BUY A SQUARETRADE WARRANTY FOLKS. Definitely not for TV's. I talked to every level of employee in their TV replacements department, and they were all nasty and completely unwilling to look at facts.

I was bullied via email (told I had no other choice; told they wouldn't reimburse me for the value of the warranty so I could go buy an equivalent spec TV myself. I told them numerous times throughout the week - every TV they kept sending me offers for was vastly inferior. I work with/in tech every day. I know specs and what specs make up a quality TV set. They clearly do not. They were rude, and refused to listen/read why the tv's i was offered were vastly inferior to the one they were obligated to replace with an equal spec tv. They refused, and finally sent me an email saying there no other tv's to offer me and they would not offer me a cash payout for my plan.

Want more details? Here you go!

1. the tv that broke - a Panasonic 65 inch ZT60 plasma - is very high end. I bought it for many reasons, and i broke the bank to do it (over $3000 to buy it, retail price on it was $4000).

2. what are the reasons i splurged and bought an ultra high end tv with an ultra high end price tag?

A. It has a rs232 port. This is imperative for my control scheme in my house/living room. Only high end tv's have this port. None of the tv's I was offered had this port. This screws up my entire control 4 scheme.

B. It has a PERFECT VIEWING ANGLE. This is imperative in my living room. The way my living room is designed - most of the seating must be to the side/diagonal of where the tv is mounted. If you have tv's with excellent viewing angles, which only the zt plasma and the new OLEDS really have, then you can sit to the side of the tv and the image looks the same. No matter what. All the LED tvs i was offered have horrible viewing angles - you must be sitting directly in front for image to be optimal.

Am I supposed to bring in a contractor to knock out my one wall in living room and redo the entire room just so i can accommodate the tv squaretrade is sending me?

C. My ZT60 has deep, inky, true blacks. this is one of the most important aspects of TV quality - without deep inky blacks, tv image sucks. All the tv's I was offered by Squaretrade do not have as deep of blacks as my ZT, nowhere close. Only the OLED tv's do. they weren't offering any OLED models.

D. My ZT plasma has 3D. Its one of the big reasons we spent extra money on that high end model. None of the models offered (vizio or samsung) have it. Sony and LG models do. This is a huge deal for me - I have spent thousands of dollars on equipment (glasses, oppo 3d blu ray player) and 3d blu rays. What am I to do with all that now?

E. Screen uniformity/clouding/light bleed - I have none of that with my ZT plasma. These are all documented issues with all the LED models I was offered.

Yes, the tv sets I was offered were 4k. that was the one and only "plus" on the spec side for all the tv's I was offered. THE ONE AND ONLY. But that doesn't begin to compare/equal the many positives that make the zt60 such an elite tv. Only the 4k OLED's meet/exceed the many specs of the Panasonic ZT.

So I repeatedly sent Squaretrade emails back explaining all the reasons the tv's I was offered (they sent five possible models to choose from overall) didn't measure up. I cited specific specs and professional reviews to illustrate why all the tv's weren't even in the same BALLPARK as the ZT they were obligated to replace.

Finally, Friday night (august 5th PM), they sent me an email reply to my latest email that outlined why the last models they offered were nowhere close to matching my ZT in terms of all the specs listed above.

That email said there were no other tv's to offer me, they wouldn't consider/won't send me the cash value/check for my warranty (about three thousand dollars). It was basically a take it or leave it, we're going to bully you into taking one of these tv's. I made the mistake of picking one of them, but I stated how concerned I was and didn't want to be, but you're leaving me with no other choice. That was late Friday night. Sunday, I sent them an email retracting my acceptance because I realized I shouldn't allow myself to be bullied into accepting a vastly inferior tv set.

All the evidence is on my side spec-wise. I have numerous emails outlining my objections and "curt" replies from Squaretrade refusing to consider my technical points and arguments.

I used to love Squaretrade. No more. So upset. Make this right Squaretrade. I don't want this tv being delivered Friday. You bullied me into accepting the offer. All the emails support this.

Never buy Squaretrade for a high end Tv. I'm sick to my stomach right now.
PhilipsPhanatic and mo949 like this.

Last edited by smail.nathan; 08-09-2016 at 09:50 AM. Reason: Squaretrade fixed the situation
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 05:45 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1771 Post(s)
Liked: 1689
this is why i NEVER buy warranties. when i bought my f8500, i was fully aware that plasma on the outs, and that made it even more obvious that i should not purchase a warranty.

a good friend of mine worked in the industry, and she always tried to convince me the warranties were important because TV's are 'throw away' items when they break, they don't get repaired. with this in mind, it made no sense to purchase a warranty on a plasma. it does me no good if they can't repair it, for the reasons you describe above. there is no replacement for it.

i do understand where they are coming from though. it's no squaretrades fault that the market has changed so drastically, and the 'comparable' tv's on the market today aren't comparable in quality. a refund on the policy or some cash payout does seem like a reasonable request though.

this situation is a tough one, for both parties. you are asking for something that seems completely unreasonable to them, because the market has changed so drastically. if you stick to your guns, and want a completely equal replacement, even oled will fall short in many areas. but it's also a stretch to expect a $6-7k oled to replace a $3k plasma. it's also unreasonable to replace a reference quality tv with a mid-tier led)

anyway, imo, never buy warranties. just take care of your stuff. if there's a defect, it's going to break within the manufacturer's warranty. if something happens and it breaks outside the warranty, it's pretty rare. and the money saved by not buying 10 warranties more than covers the replacement costs of one item. so far, i think i'm about 2500 'ahead' from not buying warranties. I've only had one item 'die' before i was ready to replace it anyway, and it still lasted 8yrs(a hitachi RPTV)

anyway, i think you need to give a little to get a little here. it's not reasonable to demand an exactly comparable tv as a replacement, it simply does not exist. they are most likely offering you tv's in the same PRICE range as your zt60, which is a reasonable place to start(it's just that the tv's on the market in that price range are terrible). It's also not reasonable to demand full retail price for a payout. the best advice i could give is to find examples of suitable replacements on kijiji or whatever, and come up with a reasonable replacement cost. you might be able to buy a used zt60 for 2k for example, and providing that information(as opposed to what you paid for a new one) might get you closer to a cash settlement, and a suitable replacement.

out of curiosity, what are you hoping for as a replacement? a 4k oled? that's going to be a really tough sale imo. i'm an enthusiast as well, and spent a lot of time considering the zt60 before i opted for the f8500, and i wouldn't consider a 4k oled an 'equal' of the zt60. i get where you're coming from, especially from a PQ viewpoint, but it's new tech, new format, and twice the price. i mean at least go for a 1080p oled that in the same price range
CoffeeHawk likes this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One

Last edited by fierce_gt; 08-08-2016 at 05:50 PM.
post #3 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 06:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
this is why i NEVER buy warranties. when i bought my f8500, i was fully aware that plasma on the outs, and that made it even more obvious that i should not purchase a warranty.

a good friend of mine worked in the industry, and she always tried to convince me the warranties were important because TV's are 'throw away' items when they break, they don't get repaired. with this in mind, it made no sense to purchase a warranty on a plasma. it does me no good if they can't repair it, for the reasons you describe above. there is no replacement for it.

i do understand where they are coming from though. it's no squaretrades fault that the market has changed so drastically, and the 'comparable' tv's on the market today aren't comparable in quality. a refund on the policy or some cash payout does seem like a reasonable request though.

this situation is a tough one, for both parties. you are asking for something that seems completely unreasonable to them, because the market has changed so drastically. if you stick to your guns, and want a completely equal replacement, even oled will fall short in many areas. but it's also a stretch to expect a $6-7k oled to replace a $3k plasma. it's also unreasonable to replace a reference quality tv with a mid-tier led)

anyway, imo, never buy warranties. just take care of your stuff. if there's a defect, it's going to break within the manufacturer's warranty. if something happens and it breaks outside the warranty, it's pretty rare. and the money saved by not buying 10 warranties more than covers the replacement costs of one item. so far, i think i'm about 2500 'ahead' from not buying warranties. I've only had one item 'die' before i was ready to replace it anyway, and it still lasted 8yrs(a hitachi RPTV)

anyway, i think you need to give a little to get a little here. it's not reasonable to demand an exactly comparable tv as a replacement, it simply does not exist. they are most likely offering you tv's in the same PRICE range as your zt60, which is a reasonable place to start(it's just that the tv's on the market in that price range are terrible). It's also not reasonable to demand full retail price for a payout. the best advice i could give is to find examples of suitable replacements on kijiji or whatever, and come up with a reasonable replacement cost. you might be able to buy a used zt60 for 2k for example, and providing that information(as opposed to what you paid for a new one) might get you closer to a cash settlement, and a suitable replacement.

out of curiosity, what are you hoping for as a replacement? a 4k oled? that's going to be a really tough sale imo. i'm an enthusiast as well, and spent a lot of time considering the zt60 before i opted for the f8500, and i wouldn't consider a 4k oled an 'equal' of the zt60. i get where you're coming from, especially from a PQ viewpoint, but it's new tech, new format, and twice the price. i mean at least go for a 1080p oled that in the same price range
no. i have not asked them to replace it with oled. if they gave me a payout, something even in 2000 dollar range, i would spend the money and upgrade to oled. but they wont even do that. they are offering the bottom of the barrel stuff and saying "hey! its 4k! congrats!"

but no dice. these tvs range for around 1500 dollars. they are not even coming close.

Last edited by smail.nathan; 08-08-2016 at 06:52 PM.

post #4 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 06:34 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 1184
This is what I thought my warranty was likely worth for my plasma. I'll stop referring them and purchasing their products from this point forward. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and I am sorry anyone is going through that type of poor business tactic.
post #5 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
This is what I thought my warranty was likely worth for my plasma. I'll stop referring them and purchasing their products from this point forward. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience and I am sorry anyone is going through that type of poor business tactic.
its been a nightmare. i will update here if they change their tune. right now, though, they are outting me through the ringer. doesnt look good. for now though, if anyone wants to buy a vizio 65 inch p series from me that is brand new, let me know.
post #6 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 07:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 891 Post(s)
Liked: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mo949 View Post
its been a nightmare. i will update here if they change their tune. right now, though, they are outting me through the ringer. doesnt look good. for now though, if anyone wants to buy a vizio 65 inch p series from me that is brand new, let me know.
Thats an idea! If you can't fix your ZT60 then someone on this forum will buy your new Vizio p series. Then you could use the cash to buy a nice used ZT60.
post #7 of 34 Old 08-08-2016, 07:57 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

The Vizio P series has received pretty good reviews out of the 4K LCD/ LED displays. You post a brand new one up for sale and someone will for sure but it.
post #8 of 34 Old 08-09-2016, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
The Vizio P series has received pretty good reviews out of the 4K LCD/ LED displays. You post a brand new one up for sale and someone will for sure but it.
good news here - see my original/top post of thread for update. Squaretrade made this right. knowing who to contact now if there is ever a problem with a claim - i would definitely buy another warranty now from squaretrade.
PhilipsPhanatic and smnsparty like this.
post #9 of 34 Old 08-09-2016, 02:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

that's great news. and honestly the BEST i think they could do!

it's tough to replace a plasma when there are no plasmas left. lcd can't match the performance in a lot of ways, oled is double the price. hope you can find a suitable replacement now(and you'll likely gain a little appreciation for how difficult their 'replacement team' has it)

post #10 of 34 Old 08-09-2016, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
that's great news. and honestly the BEST i think they could do!

it's tough to replace a plasma when there are no plasmas left. lcd can't match the performance in a lot of ways, oled is double the price. hope you can find a suitable replacement now(and you'll likely gain a little appreciation for how difficult their 'replacement team' has it)
i bought an OLED from Cleveland Plasma. The 2016 C6 model. I'll just pay out of pocket the difference. I know I'll see a sharp drop in quality/performance with anything else I would buy.
fierce_gt likes this.
post #11 of 34 Old 08-09-2016, 05:53 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

That's awesome news my friend! So are they gonna collect the faulty ZT60 or do you get to keep it too?
post #12 of 34 Old 08-09-2016, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superman23 View Post
That's awesome news my friend! So are they gonna collect the faulty ZT60 or do you get to keep it too?
i get to keep it too. i'm going to have someone come over to the house saturday morning and help me get it off the wall, put it on the tv stand, and take it back apart to change back out the power supply board and check a few of the connections recommended by others and see if it makes any difference.
PhilipsPhanatic likes this.
post #13 of 34 Old 08-09-2016, 06:39 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Good stuff. Yeah when it's back on the stand then you'll be able to turn it on and stuff without having to put the back label back on.
post #14 of 34 Old 08-19-2016, 02:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm going through the exact same thing with Squaretrade atm. I have a Samsung PNF648500 that just won't turn on anymore. They sent a serviceman out to my house to attempt a fix but could not find a solution. He told me he'd be out for another try with some other parts but next thing I know I get an email from Squaretrade saying they can't fix my tv and offer me a mid to low tier Samsung led. I of course told them that I would not accept that and now I'm in the same email battle that you have outlined above. They keep offering me different led models but ignore the negatives of that tech and why I didn't buy one in the first place. I've pointed out to them numerous times that the agreement I have in front of me that I purchased through Costco (who I also work for) states "100% cash refund if your TV cannot be fixed after a maximum of 2 repair attempts for a tv issue". Their sticking point on why they won't pay me is that they only came out once but sent me an email saying my tv is un repairable and refuse to come out for a second repair attempt. I agree with the op, this whole process is making me ill.
post #15 of 34 Old 08-22-2016, 06:14 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB1 View Post
I'm going through the exact same thing with Squaretrade atm. I have a Samsung PNF648500 that just won't turn on anymore. They sent a serviceman out to my house to attempt a fix but could not find a solution. He told me he'd be out for another try with some other parts but next thing I know I get an email from Squaretrade saying they can't fix my tv and offer me a mid to low tier Samsung led. I of course told them that I would not accept that and now I'm in the same email battle that you have outlined above. They keep offering me different led models but ignore the negatives of that tech and why I didn't buy one in the first place. I've pointed out to them numerous times that the agreement I have in front of me that I purchased through Costco (who I also work for) states "100% cash refund if your TV cannot be fixed after a maximum of 2 repair attempts for a tv issue". Their sticking point on why they won't pay me is that they only came out once but sent me an email saying my tv is un repairable and refuse to come out for a second repair attempt. I agree with the op, this whole process is making me ill.
that's BS! the wording states a MAXIMUM of 2 attempts, not a minimum. based on that wording they could pay you cash without ever looking at your tv, but they wouldn't come out to try and fix it a third time.

even if that somehow isn't what it clearly says, then they need to do one or other. if they won't pay without a second visit, then they need to have a second visit, period. be firm, mention this forum, and make sure they escalate your claim into somebody who has the power to get things done

post #16 of 34 Old 03-20-2017, 06:18 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hi Nathan

I read you post on your experience with ST with your Plasma ZT. I started the process with them for my samsung PNF8500 very comparable price and excellent picture to your ZT and i'm afraid i'm going to be low balled with a cheap replacement. They refused to fix the TV and said they will be in contact with me with a replacement offer. So i'm nervous to say the least after reading your experience. I doubt they will find a suitable replacement. So if you have any advise it would be much appreciated. At the end it seems it all worked out so i'm encouraged from that standpoint. In fact what TVs did they offer, i'm curious.

thanks in advance!

Tim
post #17 of 34 Old 03-20-2017, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMB1 View Post
i have the same exact plasma PNF8500 set and am running into the same issue, i purchased my warranty through costco, how did everything turn out. They rejected offering to repair the TV instead told me they will be in contact with the replacement TV offer, (witch albeit lesser model equivalence)
post #18 of 34 Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 198
Quote:
Originally Posted by achebee4you View Post
Hi Nathan

I read you post on your experience with ST with your Plasma ZT. I started the process with them for my samsung PNF8500 very comparable price and excellent picture to your ZT and i'm afraid i'm going to be low balled with a cheap replacement. They refused to fix the TV and said they will be in contact with me with a replacement offer. So i'm nervous to say the least after reading your experience. I doubt they will find a suitable replacement. So if you have any advise it would be much appreciated. At the end it seems it all worked out so i'm encouraged from that standpoint. In fact what TVs did they offer, i'm curious.

thanks in advance!

Tim

Could you keep the (not working) Plasma TV, and get the LCD TV as replacement? In that way you could hire a tech guy reparing it, and selling the lcd..

Happy Panasonic Viera TX-P42S20ES owner
post #19 of 34 Old 03-21-2017, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
Could you keep the (not working) Plasma TV, and get the LCD TV as replacement? In that way you could hire a tech guy reparing it, and selling the lcd..
they said i could keep the unit. I'm still waiting for the dreaded "we found your tv replacement equivalent email offer from them. I'm on edge to say the least, nothing i'm sure they will offer will compare to the picture quality of my plasma. the stories i'm reading on the forums are low ball lesser featured unites were offered as replacements.
post #20 of 34 Old 03-22-2017, 05:06 PM

ST offered me the KS8000 as a replacement "low balled"

Quote:
Originally Posted by achebee4you View Post
they said i could keep the unit. I'm still waiting for the dreaded "we found your tv replacement equivalent email offer from them. I'm on edge to say the least, nothing i'm sure they will offer will compare to the picture quality of my plasma. the stories i'm reading on the forums are low ball lesser featured unites were offered as replacements.

so i got the dreaded email and they offered me the KS8000 4k LED by samsung 2016 model! I'm not sure how to reply but is the KS8000 really equivalent to my PNF8500 i say not. thoughts?
post #21 of 34 Old 05-14-2017, 02:49 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Well, I am in the same boat here.. My Lg 70" 3d tv is having issues yet they said they can't repair it or even attempt to send out a repair men. It actually a simple fix in that it involves no parts (but would require decent amount of labor to take apart the panel). On one of the Back light led's it's plastic diffuser popped off and now I have a 2" flashlight circle on my screen. I can even see the tiny diffuser lens at the bottom of my screen on a bright image. this seems like a big common problem on the Lg sets at about 2-3 years of age!! Lg SUX for using cheap glue!!!

So, they said the Tv is not fixable (no idea why?). I watch straight on and the VA screen is perfect for me as 75% is night viewing plus the Passive 3D was a HUGE reason along with it being a 70" for purchasing it. The price was $2300++ before tax. I made sure to explain why I purchased this tv and just how important the passive 3d is to me as active gives me terrible headaches. So after 5 days of them getting my receipt, they came back with a terrible low ball offer to give me a low end Sony tv (retail about $800-900) and wrote some bull about 3D not being available since 2015 which is false as it was / is still available on the 2016's. For example, The Lg u8500 series seems like a direct replacement to my tv , has passive 3d, same features, etc. plus if a wanted a 65" screen I would have spent less and purchased a 65" screen and not a 70". a 70" is 16% larger then a 65" and to me is a big purchase driver.

So , I refused the offer and wrote up many exact to the point reasons why the Sony is not a comparable set and that a comparable 3D tv is available.

I would love to get some input from others on here as what my next step should be as I know they will just come back with nothing better or another inferior offer. Should I go to social media, Facebook?

Or as Nate wrote at the beginning of the thread go straight to their resolution team? I have the costco above $1000 warranty from them and if their "distributors" don't have the 3d tv which is available at almost all retail stores then why would they not payout my initial cost so I can repair/replace/upgrade? Again, any thoughts would be appreciated! I know the game here and that is to NOT give you $$$ back on your initial purchase price and try to give you a less $$$ replacement so they can save costs! However, I would love to here others input.. Thanks everyone!
post #22 of 34 Old 05-14-2017, 03:18 AM

Quoted: 271 Post(s)
Liked: 150
I'm sort of in the same boat as you guys... I broke my Kuro (accident) but I have premium home insurance that is supposed to fully cover accidents including dropping your phone on the floor and cracking screen, spilling coffee on your macbook etc.

Since they don't make plasma, and are obliged to replace with similar value... I wonder what the insurance company will do.

Plasma is an emissive display (like OLED) and not transmissive (Like all LED/LCDs/QLEDs)
The Kuro cost $4000 back in its day, but that was 9 years ago... but it was the world's best display 2008,2009,2010,2011,2012 and some would even say 2013 (ZT60/VT60/first gen OLED).

I'm going to try and argue that the $4000 2008 model Kuro is worth the cost of an LG B6 ($1500 in my country)

I filled out the form with consideration that the Kuro cost $4000 and that todays replacement product is worth $1500, so far the programme / automatic fill out form estimates I have to pay $200 myself and they'll cover the rest of the replacement cost.

But I'm terrified that the insurance company will undervalue the TV, "hurr-durr 8 year old plasma is probably worse than a $300 TCL LCD"

Cause even if they give me a $1200-1300 LCD (which is so close to $1600 anyway, I'd rather pay the extra couple hundred bucks out of pocket) , the best TV I can get for that money is a 55" Samsung KS9000 which is a great TV, but...

- 0.02 cd/m2 blacks vs 0.003 cd/m2 blacks (0.001 in my case)
- 7000:1 ANSI contrast vs 40,000:1 ANSI contrast (120,000:1 in my case)
- 300 lines of motion resolution vs 1080 lines of motion resolution
- terrible viewing angle vs flawless viewing angle
- average screen uniformity vs perfect screen uniformity.
- clouding vs no clouding
+ HDR peak highlights over 1000+ nit vs no HDR (huge advantage with <1% of content but not relevant with >99% of content)
+ 4K resolution vs 1080p (for what its worth)
+ better in bright room (but I have a completely darkened out room thanks to 99% light proof "curtains" (I don't know the word/name for it)
+ Greater DCI-P3 coverage
+ 10 bit panel vs 8 bit panel
* similar average CCT
* equally low DeltaE
* same gamma more or less
* Neither have any burn in issues, near-black, vignetting etc..

My objective comparison to a $1200+ LCD... So if you compare vs a sub-$1000 LCD then the Kuro absolutely destroys it, especially when it has 7-20 times better blacks and 7-20 times higher contrast (most important factors of image quality) compared to the KS9000...

Let me know how it works out for everyone here and maybe I'll refer to some cases here
post #23 of 34 Old 05-14-2017, 06:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Saunders 2 View Post
Well, I am in the same boat here.. My Lg 70" 3d tv is having issues yet they said they can't repair it or even attempt to send out a repair men. It actually a simple fix in that it involves no parts (but would require decent amount of labor to take apart the panel). On one of the Back light led's it's plastic diffuser popped off and now I have a 2" flashlight circle on my screen. I can even see the tiny diffuser lens at the bottom of my screen on a bright image. this seems like a big common problem on the Lg sets at about 2-3 years of age!! Lg SUX for using cheap glue!!!

So, they said the Tv is not fixable (no idea why?). I watch straight on and the VA screen is perfect for me as 75% is night viewing plus the Passive 3D was a HUGE reason along with it being a 70" for purchasing it. The price was $2300++ before tax. I made sure to explain why I purchased this tv and just how important the passive 3d is to me as active gives me terrible headaches. So after 5 days of them getting my receipt, they came back with a terrible low ball offer to give me a low end Sony tv (retail about $800-900) and wrote some bull about 3D not being available since 2015 which is false as it was / is still available on the 2016's. For example, The Lg u8500 series seems like a direct replacement to my tv , has passive 3d, same features, etc. plus if a wanted a 65" screen I would have spent less and purchased a 65" screen and not a 70". a 70" is 16% larger then a 65" and to me is a big purchase driver.

So , I refused the offer and wrote up many exact to the point reasons why the Sony is not a comparable set and that a comparable 3D tv is available.

I would love to get some input from others on here as what my next step should be as I know they will just come back with nothing better or another inferior offer. Should I go to social media, Facebook?

Or as Nate wrote at the beginning of the thread go straight to their resolution team? I have the costco above $1000 warranty from them and if their "distributors" don't have the 3d tv which is available at almost all retail stores then why would they not payout my initial cost so I can repair/replace/upgrade? Again, any thoughts would be appreciated! I know the game here and that is to NOT give you $$$ back on your initial purchase price and try to give you a less $$$ replacement so they can save costs! However, I would love to here others input.. Thanks everyone!
go straight to the resolution team as i suggested way back toward the top of the thread.
if they don't play ball or respond, post publicly on their social media accounts.
post #24 of 34 Old 05-14-2017, 07:25 PM

Quote:
go straight to the resolution team as i suggested way back toward the top of the thread.
if they don't play ball or respond, post publicly on their social media accounts.
Nate, good to hear from you... We used to keep in touch frequently on the hi-def forum back in the day (2007-2008, etc!!! Thanks for the advice. One question, what is the best way for me to "reach/contact" the resolution team directly? It would seem that they would not want people to get to them without a big fight. Do you have a phone # or specific email? If not, based on your experience, what would be the best verbiage to use with their regular reps to get the the Resolution team if that is the only way? Again, thank much for the help!!!!
post #25 of 34 Old 05-15-2017, 08:01 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nate, good to hear from you... We used to keep in touch frequently on the hi-def forum back in the day (2007-2008, etc!!! Thanks for the advice. One question, what is the best way for me to "reach/contact" the resolution team directly? It would seem that they would not want people to get to them without a big fight. Do you have a phone # or specific email? If not, based on your experience, what would be the best verbiage to use with their regular reps to get the the Resolution team if that is the only way? Again, thank much for the help!!!!
John, good to hear from you - it has been a while!

Let me dig through my emails/correspondence with squaretrade when i get home from work tonight. i'll post back on here (so anyone reading can benefit if they need the advice) tonight once i go through everything.
post #26 of 34 Old 05-15-2017, 02:30 PM

Quote:

Let me dig through my emails/correspondence with squaretrade when i get home from work tonight. i'll post back on here (so anyone reading can benefit if they need the advice) tonight once i go through everything.
Nate,

That would be EXTREMELY helpful for that information you have! I greatly appreciate it as it could help me very much w. SQ trade and also like you said for others on here. Yeah, the days when hd-dvd went under were crazy on that forum, plus all the hd-dvd players being sold/traded.. I remember all the mixed feelings on that forum back then...

Thanks again!!!
John
post #27 of 34 Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM

Quote:

Hey Nate,
I got another terrible offer today from SQ trade. I know you were prob busy last night, let me know if you have a little time tonight to share some of the info. They are really starting to piss me off. It's like you wrote they don't really read what you write to them about comparable Tv's and then they actually discredit the review for the tv's you provide them by saying this, " Furthermore, we do not leverage consumer reviews or market pricing in our research, as it often opinionated or unreliable when looking into technical specifications" That is an interesting line and complete opposite to what they stated in the 1st email they ever sent stating they would provide a replacement which stated, "Based on our research of leading technical publications like Consumer Reports and CNET, we have selected the new TV (see below) as a best-in-class replacement for you based on your original TV specifications." Wow!

Thanks again!
John
vavan likes this.
post #28 of 34 Old 05-17-2017, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Nate,

That would be EXTREMELY helpful for that information you have! I greatly appreciate it as it could help me very much w. SQ trade and also like you said for others on here. Yeah, the days when hd-dvd went under were crazy on that forum, plus all the hd-dvd players being sold/traded.. I remember all the mixed feelings on that forum back then...

Thanks again!!!
John
all right - i only just now had a chance to review my previous correspondence with squaretrade.

here's what I did: i posted a full rundown of my situation/problem on the yelp page for squaretrade. Outlining why I was so upset, why it represented a complete scam/ripoff on the part of squaretrade, but i was respectful about it. I did demand action or I would consult my attorney general's office to assist in taking action.

I very quickly got a response on there from a squaretrade rep named angelique. she promised to take action for me to attempt to make it right. and by god, she did as promised. i heard from someone higher up within days at squaretrade telling me they would get me a check for the purchase price i paid for the tv.

so, in order to try and get anything done, i would do the same thing there - post a thoughtful, researched complaint on the yelp page for squaretrade and see what happens. hopefully you get a proper response from someone at squaretrade and your situation improves.

that's what worked for me!
post #29 of 34 Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
all right - i only just now had a chance to review my previous correspondence with squaretrade.

here's what I did: i posted a full rundown of my situation/problem on the yelp page for squaretrade. Outlining why I was so upset, why it represented a complete scam/ripoff on the part of squaretrade, but i was respectful about it. I did demand action or I would consult my attorney general's office to assist in taking action.

I very quickly got a response on there from a squaretrade rep named angelique. she promised to take action for me to attempt to make it right. and by god, she did as promised. i heard from someone higher up within days at squaretrade telling me they would get me a check for the purchase price i paid for the tv.

so, in order to try and get anything done, i would do the same thing there - post a thoughtful, researched complaint on the yelp page for squaretrade and see what happens. hopefully you get a proper response from someone at squaretrade and your situation improves.

that's what worked for me!
Thank you Nate! Very much appreciated!
post #30 of 34 Old 05-18-2017, 02:53 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Hey, I just used the search function on Squaretrade and found this. My M65 Vizio went out and Squaretrade just offered me two lesser TVs for mine. How did you get them to agree to your terms? I called them and told them I didnt want inferior TVs than what I have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page