Any vivid mode users on their Panny Plasmas? Is it bad for phosphors? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By hungro
  • 1 Post By Bruce2019

post #1 of 15 Old 08-25-2016, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Any vivid mode users on their Panny Plasmas? Is it bad for phosphors?

I like vivid mode the best on my tv, colors pop out and are nice and vibrant. But is it bad for the tv? Do some call it "torch" mode?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 08-27-2016, 08:09 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked: 111
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nisar Bazmi View Post
I like vivid mode the best on my tv, colors pop out and are nice and vibrant. But is it bad for the tv? Do some call it "torch" mode?
Having it in Vivid mode could cause Image Retention and Burn In your driving the pixels really hard.. It blows out whites , yes they may appear brighter but your loosing actual video detail in the bright parts of the movie. I would switch it as soon as you can. I would switch it to Cinema , and enjoy the picture, get used to it, it's closer to how the director intended it too look. It will be an adjustment coming from Vivid. Vivid crushes blacks, you loose shadow detail. Blows out the whites. Just switch and look for particular details like white parts in a picture, dark shadow detail and you will see for yourself that Cinema is more accurate. Color will look more natural too. Grass, sky, skin tones, etc will look more realistic too.
mailiang likes this.

Last edited by hungro; 08-27-2016 at 08:12 AM.
post #3 of 15 Old 08-28-2016, 12:54 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked: 78
creating lots of heat, which could be wear on all components, especially if installed in tight areas without means for adequate cooling.

LN55C630, PN64F8500, Definitive SSA-50, GE Supercinema 3D Array X, Paradigm Millenia CT

post #4 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 08:29 AM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I hate Cinema on my Panasonic plasma(65VT50). Too drab. The only mode I dislike more is Standard. I use THX Bright Room the most. I use THX at times. However, for some eps of the Walking Dead, I end up using Vivid(I tone it down a tad from the default setting) or Custom where I tweak it to be similar to VIVID because it gives it that comic book come to life look.

Last edited by mantar; 08-29-2016 at 08:32 AM.
post #5 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 01:11 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 580
Quote:
Originally Posted by mantar View Post
I hate Cinema on my Panasonic plasma(65VT50). Too drab. The only mode I dislike more is Standard. I use THX Bright Room the most. I use THX at times. However, for some eps of the Walking Dead, I end up using Vivid(I tone it down a tad from the default setting) or Custom where I tweak it to be similar to VIVID because it gives it that comic book come to life look.

You're kidding right? If not, why invest in a high end plasma when you can get the same results from a cheap LCD?

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

post #6 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mailiang View Post

You're kidding right? If not, why invest in a high end plasma when you can get the same results from a cheap LCD?

Ian
Because the colors look lifeless on some episodes. I don't know if it is XFINITY or AMC that has such varied quality of picture. I never felt the need to go into VIVID or CUSTOM modes for Breaking Bad. But for Walking Dead, I find myself in some of the recent episodes turning to CUSTOM where I punch up the colors a tad. It gives me a visual aesthetic I like for that show specifically. And like I said, I use one of the THX modes almost all the time.

And yes, I value plasma because sports look great on it and I use one of the THX modes. I don't believe one has to stick to one color mode. It depends on the show to some extent too.
post #7 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 02:48 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 14
You can tame VIVID down. Especially contrast and color. I've done it but I prefer a picture calibrated with a DVD calibration disc or D-Nices' settings in pro mode.
post #8 of 15 Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked: 580
The Cinema, Custom and if you have a THX mode are the only modes that are calibrated for accuracy. No matter how much time you spend tuning the Vivid mode you will never get it to look right. If this not a concern then fine, but you are more or less defeating the purpose of your PDP's technology. I would suggest, if you can, that you find a better source for your programming. For instance, most streaming content on Netflix and Amazon looks stunning on my properly calibrated Plasma TV. I rarely have issues with Directv. OTA is also a more viable option for some, when it comes to receiving local broadcasting.

Ian

The best way to succeed in life is to act on the advice you give to others

Last edited by mailiang; 08-29-2016 at 05:08 PM.
post #9 of 15 Old 08-30-2016, 11:13 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
Quote:
Because the colors look lifeless on some episodes. I don't know if it is XFINITY or AMC that has such varied quality of picture. I never felt the need to go into VIVID or CUSTOM modes for Breaking Bad. But for Walking Dead, I find myself in some of the recent episodes turning to CUSTOM where I punch up the colors a tad. It gives me a visual aesthetic I like for that show specifically. And like I said, I use one of the THX modes almost all the time.

And yes, I value plasma because sports look great on it and I use one of the THX modes. I don't believe one has to stick to one color mode. It depends on the show to some extent too.
i haven't been keeping up with the show, nor do i watch it through cable/satellite, but sometimes they 'dull' it on purpose. sometimes they mess with the tints/hues to show that it's a memory(like it's aged and worn out). i don't know if what you're experiencing is an accident or on purpose, but i think your better option is to fix whatever the problem is, rather than try to cover it up with overcompensated picture settings.

if it's just a matter of a disagreement between you and the show's editor, that's a debate i'm not going to get into.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #10 of 15 Old 08-30-2016, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_gt View Post
i haven't been keeping up with the show, nor do i watch it through cable/satellite, but sometimes they 'dull' it on purpose. sometimes they mess with the tints/hues to show that it's a memory(like it's aged and worn out). i don't know if what you're experiencing is an accident or on purpose, but i think your better option is to fix whatever the problem is, rather than try to cover it up with overcompensated picture settings.

if it's just a matter of a disagreement between you and the show's editor, that's a debate i'm not going to get into.
No, it's not about desaturated hues that are done on purpose. The pic just looks dim and dull for some episodes of some shows. Hell, I remember 30 Rock having that problem for some episodes. It looked like I was watching it on some early rear projection HDTV.
Like I said, I use THX for most shows and movies. I go with the Bright option for THX because I have lights on usually as I am multitasking.
post #11 of 15 Old 08-31-2016, 10:52 PM

Here is an example of where I had to use VIVID. Atlanta area XFINITY Showtime. On Demand or LIve doesn't matter. Try watching The Gift in Cinema or THX mode. THe picture is drab and the blacks are grey. Watching it in VIVID (i toned down the settings) or CUSTOM makes it more watchable to me. I remember watching the movie in the theater and the pic didnt seem as bad as in the regular THX settings. So I had to use VIVID like settings to compensate.
post #12 of 15 Old 10-04-2016, 08:37 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:
Here is an example of where I had to use VIVID. Atlanta area XFINITY Showtime. On Demand or LIve doesn't matter. Try watching The Gift in Cinema or THX mode. THe picture is drab and the blacks are grey. Watching it in VIVID (i toned down the settings) or CUSTOM makes it more watchable to me. I remember watching the movie in the theater and the pic didnt seem as bad as in the regular THX settings. So I had to use VIVID like settings to compensate.

It could also be gamma related.. If that little colour contrast punch is missing..

I dont linke the PQ of The walking dead, it looks a bit muted. I think it is some kind of "lifeless natural" intended look of the producers of this show..

Happy Panasonic ST60 50inch owner

Last edited by Bruce2019; 10-04-2016 at 08:41 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 10-04-2016, 08:50 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 182
Quote:

That movie has some kind of a "lighter" picture..

Just check this review:

The Gift isn't the shiniest, brightest movie out there. Joel Edgerton's digitally photographed movie is rather dull and dim, revealing a consistently drained and dreary color palette that leaves even natural greens under optimal daylight conditions looking rather fatigued. Basic clothing hues, supportive background elements, and skin tones are likewise absent vibrance. Black levels are pale and washed out and favor an unnatural brightness.

Just looking at those screen shots you see the lighter pq. I would recommend just to decrease the brightness setting for this movie..

So there is nothing wrong with your tv cinema THX setting..

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Gift-Blu-ray/42635/
mailiang likes this.

Happy Panasonic ST60 50inch owner
post #14 of 15 Old 10-05-2016, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce2019 View Post
That movie has some kind of a "lighter" picture..

Just check this review:

The Gift isn't the shiniest, brightest movie out there. Joel Edgerton's digitally photographed movie is rather dull and dim, revealing a consistently drained and dreary color palette that leaves even natural greens under optimal daylight conditions looking rather fatigued. Basic clothing hues, supportive background elements, and skin tones are likewise absent vibrance. Black levels are pale and washed out and favor an unnatural brightness.

Just looking at those screen shots you see the lighter pq. I would recommend just to decrease the brightness setting for this movie..

So there is nothing wrong with your tv cinema THX setting..

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Gift-Blu-ray/42635/
I didn't say there was anything wrong with the THX setting. But if there are times where either the cable company or the actual show/movie itself is found lacking to my aesthetic, I have no problem using VIVID or some CUSTOM mode to make the picture look appealing to me. IN the case of The Gift, I saw it in the theater and I agree with the review, the pic was no great shakes in the theater too. But on Showtime, it looked even a tad worse. So I have no problem using VIVID to punch up the picture. Nothing to do with THX being inadequate.
post #15 of 15 Old 10-05-2016, 11:51 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1469 Post(s)
Liked: 1760
^ this is why its worth getting a professional calibration (DNice left me with two options plus another I can tweak without blowing out the gamma) or investing in some equipment to do it yourself. By the way the Walking Dead's picture quality - meh

RIP Cricket - my pug and little buddy Jan. 10, 2017

Panasonic 60VT60 (cal by DNice)
Ascend's with RAAL, Love my PSA v1800 and a 7.2.4 speaker config, Oppo 203 w/ 2500+ blu-rays and growing. Yes I still have HD-DVDs too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page