I want 4K, I want HDR... but I don't want to stop using my plasma. - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 33Likes

post #1 of 68 Old 12-02-2016, 09:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 22
I want 4K, I want HDR... but I don't want to stop using my plasma.

Hey guys. I have been basically using plasmas exclusively since around 2006. I would love to hear input and advice about 2016 LCDs, 4K and HDR and how they compare to plasma displays. The LCD boards never give me the info I want since most users never came from a plasma (especially one from it's last years).

This would be a basement display. 100% controlled lighting. So reflections and brightness issues have never been one for this scenario. 4K is nice. But little content is 2160p, I get that. For me though this display will mainly be used for gaming.

HDR, 4K upscaling, and 1440-1880p native resolutions are all things that are becoming "the new thing" with game consoles.

Naturally I want to get the most out of it but it's hard to switch. I get an employee discount through Samsung. I can get a 55" KS8000 for $700 and a 65" KS8000 for $1050. Now I read the reviews. They are all very good. Great picture, 10 bit panel,easy to calibrate, awesome blacks and contrast, etc etc.

I am just looking for any input or information or suggestions from anyone who took the plunge. I am very much out of the loop when it comes to LCD panels. The KS8000 is edge lit but people say it does a good job with local dimming when used. My viewing scenario is always pretty much head on, so viewing angles don't really apply in my case.

So what do you think? Take the plunge and leave the plasma behind as a back up set or wait it out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 68 Old 12-02-2016, 09:09 PM - Thread Starter

Oh gosh, I didn't even mention what I am using. Downstairs is a 51F5300b
post #3 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 02:18 AM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 0
im kinda in the same situation as you are (made a thread about it). im upgrading on my panny 50s64. i personally dont to upgrade to 4k unless its an OLED, and with the little content out for 4k, and the higher pricing because its new, i have little excitement to upgrade to it right now. thats why im looking to upgrade to a 65st60 or 70" elite. $1050 does seem pretty damn good for a 65" 4k though. cant comment on the quality of that particular model though.

post #4 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 02:52 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1869
OLED should be in your vocabulary. Hopefully, the employee discount extends to those models (and by extension the only brand selling them, LG).
kyrnel likes this.
post #5 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 04:06 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 313
It's tough to upgrade to an LCD for us plasma folks. I tried a few years ago and failed. None of the LCDs cut it as a dark room, movie watching TV. Light bleed, weak contrast, black level problems, and various other things caused me to take them all back. I still love my current plasma but also am getting the itch to upgrade.

OLED is really the logical choice for most of us. The absolute top end LCDs are probably good choices too but I can't see spending as much on an LCD as I would an OLED. Just can't do it. The only issue for me with OLED is that I really want a 75" set since I have a 64" now but OLED isn't available inn75". Sure, they have a 77" but it's the cost a new car. Ugh, lol.

Honestly, you should consider OLED first. Then, maybe check out the top of the line LCDs. I bet the OLED would work better for you though.

LG OLED65E6P, Samsung PN64H5000
Samsung UBD-8500K, LG BD 570
Polk RTi Towers, STi surrounds
Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #6 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 05:47 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

OLED is and has been on my radar for quite some time. For me right now, the price point of OLED displays is still too high for me to go ahead and pull the trigger. That and also how 4K content + HDR hasn't really matured yet as to what will be the norm and standard, and also how it might evolve even further in the next 2 years or so. In this scenario this LCD would most likely be a "hold me over" set until things with OLED, 4K/HDR mature a bit more. In 3+ years I could see this set going upstairs to replace the main living room plasma that would be ten years old by that time.

Also with games, input lag is something to look out for and it's not great so far with OLED. And it's actually very poor with OLED 4K also running HDR content.

The employee pricing only has Samsung as a partner when it comes to televisions.

Here's a review for the ks8000 series if anyone wants to take a look.

http://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/samsung/ks8000
post #7 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 07:56 AM - Thread Starter

Well, the sale ends today and watched a bunch of videos on the ks8000. The edge lit LCD will drive me crazy coming from a plasma. I am pretty amazed this doesn't bother many people. Maybe they are used to it.

They have the 65" KU6300 on something crazy like 77% off msrp. It's $729. I am just going to give that one a shot. Same price as the 55" ks8000, and has direct led backlighting which they can do since its thicker. (I never understood the fascination with ultra thin displays if it's going to be on a stand)

Light bleed issue seems to be non existent compared to the thin ks8000. 8 bit panel so no true HDR. We will see. If I hate it, I'll return it. If I like it, I'll be ok with it for a couple years as a "waiting" set.

Hard to beat $729 for a solid 4K display.

Last edited by booloo; 12-03-2016 at 09:52 AM.
post #8 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booloo View Post
Well, the sale ends today and watched a bunch of videos on the ks8000. The edge lit LCD will drive me crazy coming from a plasma. I am pretty amazed this doesn't bother many people. Maybe they are used to it.

They have the 65" KU6300 on something crazy like 77% off msrp. It's $729. I am just going to give that one a shot. Same price as the 55" ks8000, and has direct led backlighting which they can do since its thicker. (I never understood the fascination with ultra thin displays if it's going to be on a stand)

Light bleed issue seems to be non existent compared to the thin ks8000. 8 bit panel so no true HDR. We will see. If I hate it, I'll return it. If I like it, I'll be ok with it for a couple years as a "waiting" set.

Hard to beat $729 for a solid 4K display.
Good choice and a great price! The middle tier Samsungs like the 6300 and 7100 series are very good and tend to fly under the radar. I've been toying with grabbing a 75" Samsung 7100 myself. So much cheaper than the KS 8000/9000 series and they tend to perform at like 90% the same level or better.

It's a perfect "wait for CES 2017" TV. Hell, you may even like it enough to keep longer than anticipated. Worst case, return it and try something else. Edge light bleed SUCKS and it's one of the main reasons I returned several LCDs a few years ago when I tried to go 4K back then. It's full backlighting or I'm OUT!

Keep us posted, and congrats!

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #9 of 68 Old 12-03-2016, 11:11 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadLizard View Post
Good choice and a great price! The middle tier Samsungs like the 6300 and 7100 series are very good and tend to fly under the radar. I've been toying with grabbing a 75" Samsung 7100 myself. So much cheaper than the KS 8000/9000 series and they tend to perform at like 90% the same level or better.

It's a perfect "wait for CES 2017" TV. Hell, you may even like it enough to keep longer than anticipated. Worst case, return it and try something else. Edge light bleed SUCKS and it's one of the main reasons I returned several LCDs a few years ago when I tried to go 4K back then. It's full backlighting or I'm OUT!

Keep us posted, and congrats!
My thoughts exactly. Watched a ton of side by side videos and and edge lit light bleed doesn't seem to be something you might get lucky with, it will just be there. I mean when you go that thin and bright with a display, something's got to give.
post #10 of 68 Old 12-04-2016, 07:58 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 2284 Post(s)
Liked: 1869
Quote:
Also with games, input lag is something to look out for and it's not great so far with OLED. And it's actually very poor with OLED 4K also running HDR content.
A new firmware update has brought HDR gaming into the same range as SDR, on every model but the cheapest. Perhaps that fix will also be provided for the B model (which uses a separate chipset) in due course.

Quote:
The employee pricing only has Samsung as a partner when it comes to televisions.
That's too bad. I was ready to get my 5-year TV this year (last year actually), so I was willing to spend much more.
post #11 of 68 Old 12-04-2016, 08:21 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked: 185
What about motion? What out there is competitive with plasma for smooth motion? And what are the issues with the TVs that are not competitive?
post #12 of 68 Old 12-06-2016, 08:11 AM - Thread Starter

Update:

So I tested the 55KS8000. Was able to mess around with it I my normal viewing area, which is a basement with completely controllable lighting.

Pros:
- screen clarity and color accuracy. I was really surprised with how nice this looked right besides my plasma. I ran a couple video tests side by side. Comparing black levels, screen uniformity, and so on. The KS8000 did a better job than the plasma in basically all areas, blacks for sure.

- light bleed and normal LCD backlighting issues. Even as a edge lit LCD, I was impressed with how well it did. Even with all lights off there was very minimal light leak. If I didn't come from a plasma I would say the set has none, but I am sensitive to this sort of thing.

Cons:

- HDR

Knowing the shortcomings of LCDs, this is the only area where I can say I am disappointed. I like natural, easy on the eyes, backlighting. And this set does a great job, unless it's HDR content. I tested 3 new video games that support HDR. One on an XBox One S and two on a PS4 Pro.

To display the darker blacks and whiter whites, and all the colors a 10-bit HDR panel can display, you truly are forced to have your panel backlighting maxed out to hit over 1000 nits. And on these new LCDs, it is BRIGHT. Too much for me personally. Imagine vivid in-store display mode whenever you play HDR Content.

I know that you can go back and forth between settings depending on the content, but at the end of the day HDR content needs to have the display's peak brightness if you want the content to look as intended. Also, if you ignore it and go with your default settings for backlighting, the materials looks dark, muddy and just plain oil' bad.

Also, if you calibrate settings for accuracy color references, HDR throws it all out the window for huge brightnesses to display the wider color gamut.

In the end, HDR seems to be overrated at this point. Maybe not for average users who like the ultra bright vivid modes. But those who enjoy accurately calibrated displays, for me at least, it's a tough change to the eyes. I can't see plasma fans liking the way the set has to be to display the content accurately.

If anyone on here uses HDR on newer sets I would love to hear your opinions.

I have a 65" KU6300 model coming in today so I can do a real side by side comparison. Besides some smart features the 10bit panel, the displays are basically the same. Same price for both sets too. $729 for a 55" with HDR I won't use or $729 for a similar 65" set without true 10-bit HDR.

I am not sure how HDR will iron out in the future. Right now it's a bit finicky with making sure settings are set correctly from both your set and source. But it's early. I would have to say for today's sets though, a good set with 4K and easy out of box calibration capablilities is more of an importance that HDR.
vavan likes this.
post #13 of 68 Old 12-06-2016, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Update:

So I posted this on the LCD boards and even though the traffic is there, it's tough to get the same sort of responses that I get here.

So again, my employer discount program gave me the option to get the Samsung 55KS8000 for $729 or the 65KU6300 for $739. I know the KS8000 has more capabilities, 10 bit panel, etc. but the size jump to the well received KU6300 tempts me too. Anyway, the KU6300 was back ordered so I went ahead with the 55" KS8000.

Short story, yes the set is pretty great. Surprised with how such a thin edge lit LCD does with no real light bleed. Colors accuracy out of the box is great and a few tweaks really makes it pop. Did a side by side greyscale video test with the Samsung F5300b and the LCD did a considerably better job in most areas. Especially the blacks. Surprised me, and all local dimming modes were off.

Anyway, here's where I would love some info or advice.

If we took HDR completely out of the equation, would you go with the 55" with the 10bit panel and newer tech or the 65" set?

I want to enjoy HDR. I have a PS4 Pro and XB1 S. I tested a few HDR enabled games. This is a basement set, with completely controlled lighting and I usually like to view and calibrate sets with brightness that isn't too high. I watch and view displays like any plasma owner does, if that makes sense.

To have HDR content displayed correctly, the backlight more or less has to be maxed out to show the extra color depth. I wish I could do it, but I just can't. It goes from your comfortable viewing settings to absolute torch mode. The huge shift in display settings leaving HDR content is something that will probably bug me as well.

So that's that. 10 more inches on the KU6300 for the same price. I'm not leaning towards one TV either. Just looking more for reasons I should end up with the smaller KS8000 if I won't use HDR.

Thanks for hearing me out guys.
post #14 of 68 Old 12-07-2016, 05:16 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by artur9 View Post
What about motion? What out there is competitive with plasma for smooth motion? And what are the issues with the TVs that are not competitive?
IMO, the issues with the TVs that dont "cut it" are:

1) Light bleed & uniformity problems with the screens. Very annoying for those of us(plasma owners!) that are not used to such things. The worst is during anamorphic films when the black bars show light leaking through them. Deal killer.

2) Black level problems - In fairness the high-end LCDs tend to get blacks pretty deep but this is true for the best models only. Otherwise the blacks are greyish and in a dark room many LCDs just dont look that good because of it.

3) Off angle viewing - Some poeple are more sensitive to this than others but I happen to be bothered by it. I hate that if you even get slightly off center that the image contrast and or colors shift. This happens with VA panels since IPS panels have good viewing angles but IPS panels have terrible blacks.

As for motion - its better on LCDs than its ever been so most upper-end models should handle it decently.

Polk Subwoofer
Sony DH550 AVR
post #15 of 68 Old 12-07-2016, 11:50 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked: 1570
i haven't seen anything on the content side of things that makes me think UHD or HDR is 'the norm' or really anything more than a niche market you have to hunt out. of course it WILL be eventually, but not yet.

when the day comes that i feel world-class 1080p televisions are no longer good enough, i'll turn to oled. i imagine it'll be pretty sweet by then(it's already pretty darn impressive)
Stereodude, ahblaza and hailjack like this.

Displays: Samsung PN64F8500/JVC X35
AVR: Pioneer VSX-1130K, 7.1/5.1.2 audio
Sources: HTPC(Enby), PS3, XBOX360, Wii
Control: Harmony One
post #16 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 09:25 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I have had a Panasonic 65 inch tcp65-v10? since 2009. It has been great. I had it professionally calibrated as well. So colors are what they should be. Excellent for movies. I recently (Nov 2016) purchased a Sony XBR-75Z9D TV. It is 4K and HDR. I am blown over by the picture quality. I was concerned that up converting my Direct TV feed would produce other than acceptable picture quality. On the contrary this set is magnificent. When viewing 4K material it is spectacular as well. While I was doubtful in the beginning I am a convert now. Of course this was a step up in size and significantly more expensive than my Panasonic back when it was new. The technology certainly has advanced. I would recommend this set to anyone. I plan in the future to have the set calibrated (as I have done with all my major TVs) I also recently purchased (same date) a Samsung 49 inch 8000 series TV. This set is in the bedroom inside a armoire. Great picture. Not as good as the Sony as for regular up converted Direct TV. Hope that helps. I also upgraded my receiver to a Marantz so that I can use the ARC HDMI input and output. I am selling my Panasonic for about $800 local delivery only
Manny
post #17 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 09:28 AM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 20
HDR, 4K are technical nonsense if you think about it.
4K in anything below 75" is simply indistinguishable from 1080p.
HDR on an LCD sure, only the LCD itself has a so limited dynamic range that it's laughable.
OLED on the other hand still has a lot in common with LCD, it's also sample and hold hence cannot resolve more than 600 lines of motion far, far away from the 2160 available to 4K...And the blacks, sure it can make absolute black but at the expense of badly crushing near blacks, all details on black scenes are lost. Take a look on the Sully movie, the taxi scene at the beginning is displaying a whole palette of black tones. Watch it on OLED you get a black blob, watch it on plasma and be amazed....

My advice if you're coming from plasma is wait. Maybe next year's LG will address some of the issues.
And while you wait why not give your existing plasma a tune-up by simply adjusting Va and Vs to the proper value and calibrating it. Nothing can beat any of the late top plasmas whatever the marketing guys will try to make you believe.
I'm still amazed at the picture quality of my F8500 (both of them).
Valnar and karps1987 like this.

Samsung PS64F8580, Panasonic BDT310, Marantz AV8802A 5.1.2, Rotel RMB1555, Cambridge Audio Azur 651W, KEF XQ50c, B&W DB1, B&W PM1, Mirage OMD5, Sonance VP48R, Popcorn A500Pro, Little Dot mk9, Grado GS1000e+SR225i, Beyerdynamic T1
Mark Levinson ML-7A + L-3A + L-3, Swiss Physics 6A, Roksan Xerxes + SME IV + FD-IV damper + Lyra Clavis DC, Dynaudio Compound 4, B&W ASW-610

Last edited by 939; 12-08-2016 at 10:43 AM.
post #18 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 09:31 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I agree with the OLED comments. I loved my Panny Viera 58 inch but lightening got to it despite the guards I put in place. That's FL for you. Couldn't find the replacement parts so I was forced to replace it. Can't live with the washed out colors of LCD so I took advantage of the recent price cuts on the OLEDs and bought the LG 65C6P. Like the curve and the colors and black levels are amazing. Really good upscaling as well. Hard to believe that anything could be better than my plasma but this TV is amazing.
post #19 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 09:56 AM

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I too have the 60F5300. Didn't realize how much I like it until I tried the 65ks8000. Don't get me wrong, 4k HDR looked nice on it, but until there is more 4k content, the large 4k screen on cable honestly didn't look good (yes tried all the rtings/cnet settings, etc). I just wasn't happy with it. I really wanted to like it especially since I got the 65" for $1100. Even kept it for over two weeks. But I just couldn't justify it in the end. My advice - like others have said - is to wait, especially if the majority of your viewing is 1080.
Tay_lord likes this.
post #20 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 10:35 AM

Has anyone tried and had success with the Marseille mCable, which is supposed to be great at upscaling 480p to 1080p and 1080p to 4K? I just bought one for my Sanyo 50" (720p) plasma but can't seem to get it to work, even though their FAQ page says it works on plasma TV's.
post #21 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 10:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hailjack View Post
I too have the 60F5300. Didn't realize how much I like it until I tried the 65ks8000. Don't get me wrong, 4k HDR looked nice on it, but until there is more 4k content, the large 4k screen on cable honestly didn't look good (yes tried all the rtings/cnet settings, etc). I just wasn't happy with it. I really wanted to like it especially since I got the 65" for $1100. Even kept it for over two weeks. But I just couldn't justify it in the end. My advice - like others have said - is to wait, especially if the majority of your viewing is 1080.
I have to say after a little over a week using the ks8000 that I will hold on to it. It is an impressive set.

But, gaming will be where I will use this particular set the most. And this is where 4K actually makes a difference. Very little content
is actually 2160p but there is a good amount coming with native resolutions considerably higher than 1080p. 1440p and 1800p are already popping up. And that resolution upscale to 4K is very nice.

But for regular TV, even blurays, I would say it's nothing that would urge me to upgrade. 720 and even 1080 content upscaled to 4K isn't something that will really blow you away IMO.
post #22 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 5
Quote:
Hey guys. I have been basically using plasmas exclusively since around 2006. I would love to hear input and advice about 2016 LCDs, 4K and HDR and how they compare to plasma displays. The LCD boards never give me the info I want since most users never came from a plasma (especially one from it's last years).

This would be a basement display. 100% controlled lighting. So reflections and brightness issues have never been one for this scenario. 4K is nice. But little content is 2160p, I get that. For me though this display will mainly be used for gaming.

HDR, 4K upscaling, and 1440-1880p native resolutions are all things that are becoming "the new thing" with game consoles.

Naturally I want to get the most out of it but it's hard to switch. I get an employee discount through Samsung. I can get a 55" KS8000 for $700 and a 65" KS8000 for $1050. Now I read the reviews. They are all very good. Great picture, 10 bit panel,easy to calibrate, awesome blacks and contrast, etc etc.

I am just looking for any input or information or suggestions from anyone who took the plunge. I am very much out of the loop when it comes to LCD panels. The KS8000 is edge lit but people say it does a good job with local dimming when used. My viewing scenario is always pretty much head on, so viewing angles don't really apply in my case.

So what do you think? Take the plunge and leave the plasma behind as a back up set or wait it out?
There are great discounts at Bestbuy etc. You may get a better deal from them, then Samsung.
2. I don't know where you get your info, but there is plenty of 4K content out there. On Netflix Hulu .Also ,4K Blu-rays are coming out every week along with a very cheap Samsung 4K player right now. In fact ,when Blu-ray came out in 2006 there was hardly any content. So the 4K push is on.
post #23 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 11:17 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Quote:
I have to say after a little over a week using the ks8000 that I will hold on to it. It is an impressive set.

But, gaming will be where I will use this particular set the most. And this is where 4K actually makes a difference. Very little content
is actually 2160p but there is a good amount coming with native resolutions considerably higher than 1080p. 1440p and 1800p are already popping up. And that resolution upscale to 4K is very nice.

But for regular TV, even blurays, I would say it's nothing that would urge me to upgrade. 720 and even 1080 content upscaled to 4K isn't something that will really blow you away IMO.
You're trippin. all content including 4K HDR content is so much nicer. It's all the subtle things that you take for granted that you now see that you can't on 1080p/bluray. Just do a comparison if you have a UHD player and separate Bluray Player. I too felt it wasn't that much of a difference when I got my first 4k set in 2014 but since then HDR has really helped kick in a field of depth that 4k alone didn't achieve. I have had the 65 KS8000 since March and it's a nice set, gaming on PS4/pro is great, latency is minimal. Using an ultraHD player to play even regular blurays makes them look nicer in my opinion. Plasma is dead, was good for what it was back then and plus you could heat your room watching your TV.
Toxic teletubby likes this.
post #24 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 12:04 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
It's Still Plasma for me...

I'm still in love with my 59+1" Samsung Plasma, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, yet. Like the OP, I do not want to stop using it. I've spent time in front of all 1080P and 4K LCD variants, and nothing so far will attract me away from my plasma. I will invest in OLED when the plasma begins to loose its shine. But I am very unimpressed with HDR. I understand the technology, and I've seen the results - and I do not like the imaging. It doesn't look like the real world to me. Having a wider color palate than anything else is wonderful, but what I see looks awful. Maybe someone can explain this in a way that will allow me to overlook the other-world-like appearance of HDR, but the whole reason I went to CRT HD, and then to Plasma HD was how well it matched what I see with my own eyes. I don't see in HDR, at least I don't think I do. Hopefully, when I'm ready to step up to OLED there will still be non-HDR sets.
post #25 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomvinelli View Post
There are great discounts at Bestbuy etc. You may get a better deal from them, then Samsung.
2. I don't know where you get your info, but there is plenty of 4K content out there. On Netflix Hulu .Also ,4K Blu-rays are coming out every week along with a very cheap Samsung 4K player right now. In fact ,when Blu-ray came out in 2006 there was hardly any content. So the 4K push is on.
I went to Best Buy, they were nice but said Corporate Perks discount through Samsung.com isn't matchable due to their price protection policy. They will price match anything that doesn't dip too far into profit.

The 55ks8000 has a MSRP of $1399, Best Buy has it for $1199 and the lowest they would go is $900 for this set.

And sorry for not being specific, I meant 4K broadcasting through cable providers. The 4K HDR streaming stuff is getting pretty good lately.
post #26 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANEWMadrid View Post
You're trippin. all content including 4K HDR content is so much nicer. It's all the subtle things that you take for granted that you now see that you can't on 1080p/bluray. Just do a comparison if you have a UHD player and separate Bluray Player. I too felt it wasn't that much of a difference when I got my first 4k set in 2014 but since then HDR has really helped kick in a field of depth that 4k alone didn't achieve. I have had the 65 KS8000 since March and it's a nice set, gaming on PS4/pro is great, latency is minimal. Using an ultraHD player to play even regular blurays makes them look nicer in my opinion. Plasma is dead, was good for what it was back then and plus you could heat your room watching your TV.
I am? I think all content looks nicer, but if I was still mainly watching 720 or 1080 content I wouldn't go 4K just yet.

I used my PS4 Pro quite a bit on it last night. Had it side by side with the F5300b and besides screen uniformity, the ks8000 comes out on top. Even with blacks, and I wasn't using any sort of local dimming.

Watching TV at night on a plasma is still, to me, an easier and more natural experience for my eyes. But this set for the price impressed me more than I expected.
post #27 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 01:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post
I'm still in love with my 59+1" Samsung Plasma, and I wouldn't trade it for anything, yet. Like the OP, I do not want to stop using it. I've spent time in front of all 1080P and 4K LCD variants, and nothing so far will attract me away from my plasma. I will invest in OLED when the plasma begins to loose its shine. But I am very unimpressed with HDR. I understand the technology, and I've seen the results - and I do not like the imaging. It doesn't look like the real world to me. Having a wider color palate than anything else is wonderful, but what I see looks awful. Maybe someone can explain this in a way that will allow me to overlook the other-world-like appearance of HDR, but the whole reason I went to CRT HD, and then to Plasma HD was how well it matched what I see with my own eyes. I don't see in HDR, at least I don't think I do. Hopefully, when I'm ready to step up to OLED there will still be non-HDR sets.

The amount of colors achievable with HDR and a 10 bit panel is impressive enough as it is, but ultimately I am not impressed too much either. I believe this is just the shortcomings with LCD tech and not HDR itself.

To see the most from HDR you need to set your TV up the exact opposite way that most Plasma owners have theirs set up; with the backlighting to the max.

These LCDs get so bright (8 of 20 brightness on this particular LCD is very very bright for me for example) but the brightness that high washes things out a bit and takes away a lot of the color accuracies you might be used to. Switching from HDR to non HDR content takes some getting used to on your eyes.

I imagine HDR on OLED calibrated properly would change your feelings about it. But who knows. I need more time playing with it.
ANEWMadrid likes this.
post #28 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Still enjoying my 60 inch Pioneer Kuro that is still going strong eight years later. Very pleasant on the eyes at night, and in the winter it can be used as an alternate heat source
post #29 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 02:02 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 153 Post(s)
Liked: 109
Let the Plasma go

Quote:
I am? I think all content looks nicer, but if I was still mainly watching 720 or 1080 content I wouldn't go 4K just yet.

everything is displayed in 4k..that's the what the panel is..

I used my PS4 Pro quite a bit on it last night. Had it side by side with the F5300b and besides screen uniformity, the ks8000 comes out on top. Even with blacks, and I wasn't using any sort of local dimming.

Watching TV at night on a plasma is still, to me, an easier and more natural experience for my eyes. But this set for the price impressed me more than I expected.
I would say old SD content did look better on my Plasma from like 2010 but that was generations ago. I mostly play Destiny (PS4 pro now) and in game mode this tv has bested any other that i have had for picture and response.
If you haven't gotten a UHD player, pick one up and watch a couple of the titles out there. It may not have the blackest of the black but the overall picture is just great looking.

Now you are set for all the ever expanding content and if you want to watch the Plasma you still can. Plus like you said in a couple years you can get the OLED and sell this one to someone.
post #30 of 68 Old 12-08-2016, 02:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Moved 60" 2013 Panny Plasma to bedroom and got LG OLED65B6

Have been plasma guy through 720 42" 1080p 50" and 1080p 60".

LG best TV I have watched since 1948!

1080p on B6 is as good as UHD Blurays. HDR a little better though.

Bill

The World Is Not Flat!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Plasma Flat Panel Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page